love Shakmat modules! So easy and fun to use. I have the Time Wizard that is a great clock generator.

A fine random note generator to stimulate your creativity.
VERY easy to build. This would be an ideal first build, quick to make and useful when you’re done.
Only quibble I have is not being able to reset the sequence (as far as I can tell) with CV. But that’s no reason not to get it.
Build

also consider Squarp hapax as it can both MIDI and CV and external portable. Love this one the best such a nicer user interface and great for live performance with touch pads and great options. This is my main sequencer for modular and hardware synths if I am not using a in rack modular sequencer. Cirklon another consideration but the 2 year wait list is tough.

Hello,

I don't know if it has been proposed but I wish I could rotate the 3U modules 90° (not only 180°) to fit in 3U to 1U adapters

Thx

The Hermod+ comes to mind. Or NerdSeq.
Oxi One is very powerful, but indeed a standalone device.

My music on Bandcamp - Instagram - YouTube

It would be helpful to be able to tag "My Modules" with "Owned + quantity" or "Wishlist + quantity" and a list showing the current racks you've used them in.

anyone having trouble with power?
as soon as I plug it in many modules stop working correctly.
2 mantis cases, 2 super power blue power supplies, regardless where I put it, it happens.

Yes, same here. Pull out the Graphic VCO and the problem ceases to exist.

I struggle a bit.
Thank you for your advices
Right now I see no approach to decide yet.
Maybe you could help me to thin things out?
(Writing this also helps me to recap on it)

I want something to keep things easier and play live.

I want to be able to play tracks / projects I did prepare before and mangle them live.
My goal is to play recognizable tracks, that I can fire of and do live variations.
Reduction and simplicity is also something I have in mind.
(Before I did more complex stuff, that is harder to recreate and to focus on on live situations.)

black sequencer -
has 4 channels + mod lane each
(Could be enough, if I focus on main parts and reduction)

Eloquencer -
looks very nice to me. Very simple to access and straight forward.
it reminds me on the oxi one but without odd magic features.

Oxi -
seems to be a good everything device. (Maybe also as a daw sequencer)
But I dont like to have much stuff in front of me outside the rack)
Im temped to try it for some magic in daw production.
A plus could be its versetility - to use it for computer, eurorack and hardware synths. - I think of it more as a playable sketchbook and producion helper

Im also temped to use a Acid Rain Constellation for drums.

In fact, I have much generative and random stuff and I think I need really something to give more of a leading structure.

Greetings

Chris

Hi Rackbrute wigglers (and everyone else)!

I'm writing this in hopes that it is useful to new modular users, but maybe more experienced users can chime in with alternative suggestions, as well. When I started my modular journey, it was with a Minibrute 2s and a 6u Rackbrute. My goal was to create a versatile, semi-generative synth that could pretty much do it all. Foolishly, I thought that a Rackbrute would satisfy my GAS... Several years and a few Mantis cases later... yeah...

Anyways, a little while ago I was invited to spend a weekend hiking and chilling in a mountainside cabin, and my friend specifically requested that I bring a small synth! I ended up with my trusty Minibrute and Rackbrute. You can see what I actually did in my public racks (called "C. Travel Set - Old Rag Feb 24"), but I've since refined it to the current version. Since this satisfies my original goal, and since I know I'm not the only Rackbrute owner on here, I figured I'd share my thinking.

Note, this is a real rack, so I am only listing modules I actually own. However, there are a thousand other modules that can get you to this place, so beginners shouldn't go out and buy something just because I list it. Similarly, just because I have my way of thinking about building a synth, it doesn't mean it has to be your way.

When I build a rack, I like to keep in mind the signal path, and I tend to visualize it moving left to right. I also tend to think in blocks or chunks of functions (I like my modulators together, my sound sources together...). However, in a small rack, you compromise.

So...I start in the top left with my clocking. Pam's is my main clock. It is also extremely versatile and can provide plenty of randomness and finesse as needed. Clocking is further helped with the 4ms QCD, which is a damn fun module and allows Pam's to do more interesting euclidean rhythms. Bottom left, I have my modulators. Since I tend towards generative music, I like the movement of my lfos and random voltages to be front and center and driving the music. Therefore, I have the delightful OCHD and expander, giving a refreshing motion and more random possibilities. Finally, since my friend requested some rhythmic music, I have a uGrids to finish out my triggering and gating (not to mention the massive sequencing power of the Minibrute 2s).

Utilities break! I sprinkle utilties in wherever they functionally seem to make sense. On top, the Link 2. Below is one of my favorite little utility modules, the After Later SHTH. Sample and hold AND track and hold (they're not the same!) are a wonderful pairing with LFOs and random voltages. Of course modulators and random voltages need taming, so the ever handy Happy Nerding 3xMIA does that work. Ok, random voltages, cool, now what? Well, I like to control them with the O_C's very handy quantizers (everything about the O_C is handy). And then another absolute favorite utility, vpme.de's T43, a musically informed voltage adder. I didn't know I needed a voltage adder until I needed one, and this one is amazingly fun to play and jam with. And then of course, Veils and a deep function generator in the Contour 1.

Phew, ok, all that and we haven't even gotten to the sound sources yet! Well, we start with the handy (and usefully 3 hp) Erica Pico drums and the BIA above. Yes, yes, the BIA rules for kicks, but I actually prefer it as a gnarly oscillator. So now, given that the Minibrute has 2 oscillators, we have three sound sources and a sampler. But wait, there's more! We have the almost cheat-code strenth combo of Rings and Beads. Below that, we have the Ikarie on wacky vcf duties. As fun as filters are, I find that I don't really need them if the oscillator is interesting enough. Finally for the audio path, the delay of the Nautilus and the fx of the FXAid XL. All together, that's 5 voices and a sampler and multiple fx (don't forget the onboard reverb on Beads, as well).

My final block is the output block. One more quad vca to reduce my voices and then a 4 channel stereo mixer in the Stmix because that's right, this little rackbrute is in stereo. Then the ES-9 because I have one and why not record multitrack if you can. Plus, you can connect to the computer.

The end result is that I have an instrument that can: be generative, be arhythmic or rhytmic, be playable/programmable, be multi-voiced, be stereo, be connected to the computer, and be multitrack recorded. All in a Rackbrute and Minibrute. And it only cost... ok, well, let's not look at that part.

Shit, this was long-winded. But hopefully someone finds it useful to see how another person plans when constructing a rack. I know I would have when I started. Best of luck!

I like my Black Sequencer... patched into my sinfonion with a beatstep pro for changing patterns on that... I also have a few other sequencers, to change thing up... I'd keep whatever simple sequencers you have - they're very useful for modulation, for example!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Frap Tools Usta

I enjoyed the Eloquencer for gate sequencing but I figured out that I like a more old school approach to pitch/CV sequencing (960 or Doepfer Dark Time style). I didn't like using a single knob to program notes and probability. I think I'd be looking at a Metropolix if I was going to get something more modern with an old school hands on feel.
Let us know what you decide! Have fun and good luck.

for drums, I love the Winter Eloquencer with 8 tracks of cv/trigger and easy to see all 8 tracks one one screen plus chaining, song mode and ability to save and recall patterns. Easy to use and fantastic. For melodic stuff, the Black Sequencer is fantastic. I have both sequencers and many others.

Any suggestions for a main (brain) sequencer?

I use a couple of different small modular sequencers, but want to try to go with a main sequencer

What met my eye recently was:

winter modular eloquencer,
erica synths black sequencer
Oxi one

I would like to have a very performative sequencer,
saving compositions and playing after power circles should be supported

Right now I use mainly
Bloom + clank chaos + marbles + Mimetic Dgitalis + Pams + traffic + others

Greetings

Chris

Oh, i did not see the Little Mikey. Sorry for that! That's a good one.

Hi! I want to finish my case oriented towards sound desing and processing my bass clarinet/sax. What modules would you suggest?
Thank's!!

Guillaume

I would add a good instrument interface since you mentioned that you want to process bass etc.
-- ambientvalent

I am happy with the Little Mikey, but did you have a specific interface in mind?

late June, from Superbooth at 1min

I will be there!

Modular playlist on SoundCloud

Iam bored with the 909 hats. This modules looks very experimentel.

Bump ?

https://modulargrid.net/e/addac-system-addac301-floor-control-black-panel

This and an expression pedal.

filter/sort "My Modules" to only show modules not currently used in the displayed rack 💜

I would add a good instrument interface since you mentioned that you want to process bass etc.

Ok, this is where I am now at...

Any thoughts on the components and/or locations?

I've bought everything except the second EG (140), so I have a little bit of flexibility there. That being said, a second EG would be handy.

I am certainly open to any suggestions though! I want the most usable rack possible!

(rack has not updated, so please just use the link)
ModularGrid Rack

Yes modulation and utilities, good idea!

they're never finished!!

but I would want something that can do both envelope and pitch following... disting ex is meant to have a good algo that does both...

and more modulation and utilities... matrix mixer!!!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Hi! I want to finish my case oriented towards sound desing and processing my bass clarinet/sax. What modules would you suggest?
Thank's!!

Guillaume

Thread: Guitar Solo

That reminds me of a track I published this year. Rings is definitely a great module.
I used Batumi (sine) for cv in the Quad Vca. This brought some shades.

-- Sweelinck

very nice track, love the evocative sounds you have there

Hi,
Monotrail has this video

This sounds very nice :)

out of curiosity: what are your main sequencing modules and techniques for the melodic parts ? do you program ? or do you record sequences ?
I'm curious because I look for inspirations to sequence polyphony in modular environment.

-- Slim

Thanks for saying so. I sequence with the Arturia BeatStep Pro; in this case I sequenced the Circuit Bent VCO by Synthesis Technology and Mutable Instruments Plaits, Tides, and Rings. I also have an Erica Synths Pico VCO being sequenced by a Intellijel Scales, which quantizes the stepped S&H from the Wogglebug attenuated by Maths. I very often have a second melody that is playing off a first melody. When playing live the sequences are not recordings or loops, just sequencing in situ. Hope this helps explain my process a bit. Thank you for listening!

internet as well :D

The manual is very good.

got a beatstep pro but havent used it,are there any tutorial videos about how to use it as a sequencer?

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

Thread: What to add?

May I ask about your experience with Black Noise Cosmos? Im very interested in this kind of modules. I also consider Ana 2 from mystic circuits. Could you tell me soemthing more about its use and benefits?
Right now I use Pamelas Pro Workout for logic stuff, but Cosmos and Ana seem to be very cool.
Im wondering, how something like a Cosmos could expand my possibilities? (In Pams you can also dial in specific logic operations and apply it on the inputs + add more operations with the cross channels)
Maybe there are some cheaper 1u alternatives?
-- VONDENFUNKEN

I don't yet own a Cosmos. I've watched the Stazma video and read the manual a few times. I would say I just kind of liked the mystery of it at first and then started thinking of it as a smaller way to get what I wanted from the WORNG Vector Space (I might still go this route instead, because it's like half the price) or the Mannequins Cold Mac (I gave up oj this when I realized how difficult acquiring one of these would be without some sort of crime): a way to get a lot of related modulation in a small space from a couple sources. The Ana 2 would probably work as well for this sort of thing, and has the benefit of knobs, but I personally don't mind big dense patches full of cables and like the patching process, so the Cosmos appeals to me in that way as well (plus the touchplates seem fun) All three seem like an inviting way for someone (like me) to teach themselves more about these functions and what they do musically. I don't have a 1U strip on any of my cases and tend not to think about that - someone else would have to speak on that. I mainly recommended the Cosmos here because it's a cool module that comes on DIY format and would probably suit a classic rack like this that uses simple tools well.

I described everyhting in the bad traders thread and I would prefer not discussing this any further publicly.

@Slim Did you receive your parcel? The user is not longer in suspend mode and offering chep modules.

.... the Black Noise Cosmos .... It's sort of an endless patching wormhole/analog computer thing like Maths or the Serge world.
-- Zacksname

May I ask about your experience with Black Noise Cosmos? Im very interested in this kind of modules. I also consider Ana 2 from mystic circuits. Could you tell me soemthing more about its use and benefits?
Right now I use Pamelas Pro Workout for logic stuff, but Cosmos and Ana seem to be very cool.
Im wondering, how something like a Cosmos could expand my possibilities? (In Pams you can also dial in specific logic operations and apply it on the inputs + add more operations with the cross channels)
Maybe there are some cheaper 1u alternatives?

....tbh I wish I'd bought 2 doepfer ones - ergonomics and attenuversion
JimHowell1970

Same here. I got the wyrd matrix mixer to save space....works well, but it is way to fiddly to use it properly with the small knobs.
I guess a good matrix mixer should have it´s space.

Greetings

Chris

Great stuff! I actually do find it relaxing...

I wouldn't call it cheap, but the Black Noise Cosmos would fill that 12hp right up and comes in a DIY kit. It's sort of an endless patching wormhole/analog computer thing like Maths or the Serge world. If you like eclectic and unique concepts like the NLC modules, it is an option.

If that doesn't suit you, I second the matrix mixer, but if I were you, I would only get the AI Synthesis one if it's going to be in the top corners or if you plan to arrange it upside down. Otherwise it'll just be buried behind two rows of cables.

Thanks. What do you think of this one from AI Synthesis? https://aisynthesis.com/product/ai008-eurorack-matrix-mixer/

I don't have that one, but I have a couple the same size with trimmers, instead of proper pots, same as the AISynths one... and tbh I wish I'd bought 2 doepfer ones - ergonomics and attenuversion!

But saying that I always like Abe's modules (& have a lot of respect for him as a champion of DIY modular) etc - not that I have any - so probably a decent choice!

The AI is a great little Matrix mixer and an easy DIY build.
Great for using as an effects send or getting more modulation from sources you already have.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

matrix mixer is an obvious addition - tbh I prefer the doepfer to any of the kits that will fit - the nlc one is great but both are quite big... the doepfer also has better ergonomics than most kits

use it to leverage the modulation sources you already have... copies of modulation in -> related, but different modulation out... with built in attenuation, if not attenuversion...

also a sequential switch - doepfer will be as inexpensive as any kit...
-- JimHowell1970

Thanks. What do you think of this one from AI Synthesis? https://aisynthesis.com/product/ai008-eurorack-matrix-mixer/

matrix mixer is an obvious addition - tbh I prefer the doepfer to any of the kits that will fit - the nlc one is great but both are quite big... the doepfer also has better ergonomics than most kits

use it to leverage the modulation sources you already have... copies of modulation in -> related, but different modulation out... with built in attenuation, if not attenuversion...

also a sequential switch - doepfer will be as inexpensive as any kit...

Hi everyone,

an interesting event in Gent / Belgium on june 15th.

https://wisper.be/en/courses/modular-day-ii#prices

Cheers

Hello, I am looking to fill some of the space in my rack to support drony and generative sounds. My rack is pretty eclectic, so maybe another VCA or more LFOs? Also, looking for modules available in kit form.

This sounds very nice :)

out of curiosity: what are your main sequencing modules and techniques for the melodic parts ? do you program ? or do you record sequences ?
I'm curious because I look for inspirations to sequence polyphony in modular environment.

We uploaded a new session :

_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing&si=0a8cf7a7b2f6457387e3969ec05c89d0

This one is a monolithic journey through the darker side of Ransac.

Our music often doesn't fit in short clips, so I simply left it as a one hour block.
Overall smooth, it will fit for a relaxing moment (provided you enjoy noisy soundscapes though!).

On March 10th I previewed several tracks off my upcoming album No Light Things, due out later this summer. Was a very positive experience:

mother 32: random pattern on major scale
vcf out to lemon drop in (vessels preset)
ext audio to vco 1 sub1 out.

subharmonicon:
seq1 step 1: 1,25, step 2: 1.25, step 3: 2.0, step4: 1,5.
seq2 step 1.:0, step 2: 0.5, step 3: 1, step 3: 1, step 4: 3.
vco1: -3, vco 2: 2

part1_
starts with mother32
then lemondrop and dfam subharmonicon.
slow tempo:1 trigger to adv clock.

part2_
mix vco to noise (vco1sub1)
increase of cutoff subharmonicon
increase of lemondrop prsence
increase cutoff mother32
play with MIX.

part3_
trigger (subharmonicon) switch to clock ---- straight tempo
play with tempo knob
increase tempo till middle
increase dfam cutoff to 0, noise to 0.
increase cutoff, vcf mother
decrease rapidly the tempo back to previous and the noise around to have a clean sound.

part4_
drums ends
only subharmonicon and lemon drop
end as it started slowly fading out in drone mode kb+step+4 + lemondrop