Hey guys, so I am new to Eurorack and would love some feedback! Here is a list of my current gear and setup and what I'm moving towards in Modular. My current plan is to Rack mount most of my current gear and use midi from ableton to create compositions that i can get talking to the Eurorack. Inside the rack I want to focus on more ambient, granular generative type music, eventually expanding and/or at least duplicating the voices from the Model D & Pro 1. Really want to move between these two with the use of ableton and the Eurorack. Having a standalone Eurorack that can be portable and then plug into my larger system and play nicely with ableton and SemiMod Synths :)

I am looking for some help to make sure I get the most out of my rack and make logical steps as I expand. I currently have an Arturia Rackbrute 6u and will most likely purchase another as I expand. Would love suggestions as to the models I currently have, and the order in which I should acquire some items on my list. Would love any and all suggestions!

Current:
Behringer Model-D
Behringer Pro-1
Behringer DeepMind 12D
Korg Volca Keys
Korg Volca Sample
Arturia DrumBrute
TC Electronics Hall of Fame Reverb
TC Electronics Flashback Delay
Chasebliss Mood Pedal
Boss DD-3T
- Controller Arturia Keystep all ran into Ableton

Eurorack Modules I've already purchased:
Arturia 6u RackBrute
Instruo Arbhar
Instruo Ochd
Intellijel Quad VCA
Intellijel uJack
ALM Monsoon (Micro Clouds)
Befaco ST Mix

WishList:
Polyend Poly 2
Expert Sleepers ES-9
Make Noise Morphagene
Make Noise Mimeophone
Mutable Instruments Marbles
Plaits (micro)
Rings (micro)
Vult Freak
Pamelas new Workout
Instruo Saich
Instruo TS-L

Here is a photo showing my current setup in my closet and a Screenshot of the rack as it currently stands.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cziuvxl6npazrjx/Office%20Studio.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ufuwovkkgjkygm/Screen%20Shot%202021-09-28%20at%2010.49.37%20AM.png?dl=0

As far as stand-alone, you have your Arturia Keystep that can handle basic sequencing. Depending on your needs, you can always add Eurorack sequencers. There are so many types and styles, that's an entirely different conversation.

As far as integrating your Eurorack into your set-up, I would have two things purchased: 1. A MIDI to CV converter that can transform MIDI messages into gates and CV. There are quite a few of these as well. There are full programmable USB MIDI to CV converters like the Expert Sleepers FH2. Then there are simpler 5-pin MIDI to CV that many companies make.
2. Synth-level to line level converter. Eurorack levels are a lot hotter than the output of your DeepMind or DrumBrute. A dedicated converter is great for a no-muss/no-fuss dealing with this. A stereo unit is usually enough unless you're trying to isolate sounds in a large set-up.

There are other methods, like generating CV and gates directly from your DAW as well buying an audio interface that works at Eurorack levels (like the Expert Sleeper ES9)... but depending on your set-up and if you already have a regular audio interface, this can get a little tricky, especially with a PC.

Here is a photo showing my current setup in my closet and a Screenshot of the rack as it currently stands.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cziuvxl6npazrjx/Office%20Studio.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ufuwovkkgjkygm/Screen%20Shot%202021-09-28%20at%2010.49.37%20AM.png?dl=0
-- amindy

dude - you are on modulargrid - take advantage...

create your rack and post a link (a copy of the url) to your rack here - photos are basically useless 99% of the time and being able to get mouseover info etc is really useful - helps us help you!!!! make sure you leave your rack public!!!!

also see signature - you appear quite bereft of utilities...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

VIEW THE RACK BEGINNINGS
ModularGrid Rack
(Eventually will be moving the Model D as the rack fills up)

Ronin1973
Appreciate your feedback! Linking with ableton and my computer is an eventual goal but having a hard time pulling the trigger on those modules (Es-9 & midi cv expansion) right now. Again I want the eurorack to also function as standalone as much as possible and dont want too much of a headache as I already have a major learning curve as it is. But want to move that direction sooner than later.
On the synth level to line converters, do you have any recommendations?

JimHowell1970
Hey See you pretty active on here, this is my first post, so forgive me as I'm learning how to use this! I posted a link to the rack above that I have with my current modules, and a few from my wish list off to the side.

As far as utilities go, thats exactly the kind of feedback and recommendations im looking for! Again looking for the order of what would be most useful with what I currently have and recommendations as to what my next purchases should be considering whats on my list and what I want to accomplish.

Thanks again for your help!

VIEW THE RACK BEGINNINGS
ModularGrid Rack
(Eventually will be moving the Model D as the rack fills up)

Ronin1973
Appreciate your feedback! Linking with ableton and my computer is an eventual goal but having a hard time pulling the trigger on those modules (Es-9 & midi cv expansion) right now. Again I want the eurorack to also function as standalone as much as possible and dont want too much of a headache as I already have a major learning curve as it is. But want to move that direction sooner than later.

JimHowell1970
Hey See you pretty active on here, this is my first post, so forgive me as I'm learning how to use this! I posted a link to the rack above that I have with my current modules, and a few from my wish list off to the side.

As far as utilities go, thats exactly the kind of feedback and recommendations im looking for! Again looking for the order of what would be most useful with what I currently have and recommendations as to what my next purchases should be considering whats on my list and what I want to accomplish.

-- amindy

Well, the Intellijel uJacks is exactly what I'm talking about. There are two line-level outputs on it. So that's good. As far as keeping it simple, almost any MIDI to CV converter will work. I have the FH2, which is probably a bit of overkill after reading your follow-up. The Intellijel uMIDI looks pretty tasty to fit in your Brute Rack.

Ronin1973

if you are thinking of getting an es9 - I would say get that as it doesn't need any modular -> line level converters - it's a modular interface - might save you some money in the long run + you can integrate with vcv rack to have a play with different types of module etc

JimHowell1970

-- amindy

yeah - between jobs at the moment and moving house internationally - furniture arrives Friday!!!

currently have synth & computer plus a bed 2 chairs and a table and that's about it!!!

so please don't take any offence - I kind of get tired of typing the same thing again and again and again...

BUT anyway - utilities - the plumbing of modular

I usually recommend a starter kit of links, kinks, shades and veils - or other modules that satisfy the same functions - kinks is discontinued - so buy it if you can find it asap - other wise the wmd/ssf toolbox is a good substitute, you've got an intelijel quad vca - so that's close enough to veils - links is a buffered mult/mixer combination - 1 section of each and a middle section that can be used as either or a precision adder - which is used for adding 2 quantized sequences together for transposing one sequence with the other (ie change the root note)

I also really like matrix mixers - slightly more complicated to get your head around but not that bad - really useful for mixing modulation sources together - or creating feedback loops - or send/return for effects

Which brings me to - you could really do with a better modulation source - ochd is ok but it's not clockable and there's no reset - so it's just free running - I'd also contemplate this as an early purchase - I really like Maths especially for beginners because of the 'Maths Illustrated Supplement' (google) - which is an excellent primer for patch-programming - and patching modular synths in general - download and read through it even if you don't buy Maths!!! alternatively something like Pamela's New Workout - which is basically a clock source, with clock division multiplication and different waveforms so you can open your vcas!!!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

if you are thinking of getting an es9 - I would say get that as it doesn't need any modular -> line level converters - it's a modular interface - might save you some money in the long run + you can integrate with vcv rack to have a play with different types of module etc
I usually recommend a starter kit of links, kinks, shades and veils - or other modules that satisfy the same functions - kinks is discontinued - so buy it if you can find it asap - other wise the wmd/ssf toolbox is a good substitute, you've got an intelijel quad vca - so that's close enough to veils - links is a buffered mult/mixer combination - 1 section of each and a middle section that can be used as either or a precision adder - which is used for adding 2 quantized sequences together for transposing one sequence with the other (ie change the root note)

I also really like matrix mixers - slightly more complicated to get your head around but not that bad - really useful for mixing modulation sources together - or creating feedback loops - or send/return for effects

Which brings me to - you could really do with a better modulation source - ochd is ok but it's not clockable and there's no reset - so it's just free running - I'd also contemplate this as an early purchase - I really like Maths especially for beginners because of the 'Maths Illustrated Supplement' (google) - which is an excellent primer for patch-programming - and patching modular synths in general - download and read through it even if you don't buy Maths!!! alternatively something like Pamela's New Workout - which is basically a clock source, with clock division multiplication and different waveforms so you can open your vcas!!!

-- JimHowell1970

No Offense taken! I'm sure you get tired of saying the same thing over again lol
Think the ES-9 will be best for me to pick up ASAP then and that will also grant some utility with the 8 outs.
I actually was looking at links and kinks before I took to here to ask advice. Also I've never used a matrix mixer, but definitely seems interesting. Think I will go ahead and make those purchases!
Maths I went back and forth with as I've seen its popularity as a beginner module and seems like I wouldnt have trouble reselling it if I ever wanted to. So I will go ahead and make that a priority as well.

Think thats enough to help steer me in the right direction and make some choices ensuring I have a well rounded setup. I'm going to update my rack on here and I'm sure I'll be posting again asking for some patch ideas, or scouring the forums for them as well.

Really appreciate your feedback and hope your move goes well! I'm currently transitioning into a 5th wheel camper full time, so I'm about in the same boat lol All which supports me finally making the move into modular :)

Think the ES-9 will be best for me to pick up ASAP then and that will also grant some utility with the 8 outs.

not utility (at least in the sense of utility modules in modular) - more functionality! think of utilities like plumbing...

I actually was looking at links and kinks before I took to here to ask advice. Also I've never used a matrix mixer, but definitely seems interesting. Think I will go ahead and make those purchases!
Maths I went back and forth with as I've seen its popularity as a beginner module and seems like I wouldnt have trouble reselling it if I ever wanted to. So I will go ahead and make that a priority as well.

make sure you get the illustrated manual - it's an online pdf and not from make noise! and full of patch ideas!!!

Think thats enough to help steer me in the right direction and make some choices ensuring I have a well rounded setup. I'm going to update my rack on here and I'm sure I'll be posting again asking for some patch ideas, or scouring the forums for them as well.

more than enough to be going on with for a good while!!

Really appreciate your feedback and hope your move goes well! I'm currently transitioning into a 5th wheel camper full time, so I'm about in the same boat lol All which supports me finally making the move into modular :)

-- amindy

thanks - you too!

i have a squarp hermod for sale im not using its a powerfull eurorack sequencer

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

The Es-9 will take up a lot of space in the rackbrute. I have a es8 + es6 which will give you 10 in which is a lot for a modular rig and also 8 out, This combo will give you an additional 4 hp back. Based on your Wishlist- you will be ok with an es8 to run your audio into Ableton on 4 separate channels.

Even if you want the keep your modular separate whilst you go through the learning curve, Having the e8 is extremely useful as a learning tool as you can use two of your outs with the scope in VCV Rack to view your signals. One equivalent of this functionality in eurorack is the mordax data which is big and will cost around £400