This module does Sample and Hold as expected when using its internal clock or by manually pressing the Sample buttons, but when using the Sample input to clock it, it does Track and Hold. It will output the signal being sampled (eg. white noise) for as long as the gate or trigger are open, and only after they've closed it will hold the last value sampled.
As far as my brief experience in modular tells me, modern S&H units ignore the length of the gate and just take a sample as quickly as the capacitor can store it. So I'm wondering if this is just how the original ARP module worked.
As usual with B, the manual doesn't help much.
Any hints on this?

Edit: The Thomann tech guy tells me it's faulty and shouldn't be doing that, and has sent me a label for a replacement, but I'm still unsure.

if it's described as a sample and hold and behaving as described - then it sounds faulty to me

if Thomann say it's faulty immediately, then they've probably come across a number of these with the same problem) just return it - if the replacement still does the same - return it and get something from a more reputable company - doepfer or divkid/instruo perhaps

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thanks Jim, I agree. The module is on its way back.
The thing is I'm going for a dedicated 2500 case. For general S&H I already have some Doepfers. I'll do some research and if that's the way the original worked I'm fine with that. If it isn't and I get two modules with the same fault I'll have to reconsider the whole thing.

good luck!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Definitely NOT the way the original 1036 works! It should act like the same circuit in the ARP 2600; if I remember right, this is one of the 2500 bits-n-pieces that made it into the 2600.

Thanks Lugia, good to know. I hope the replacement does what it's supposed to.

Thanks Lugia, good to know. I hope the replacement does what it's supposed to.
-- Mazz

It probably should. This brings up the point that if something electronic is going to fail, those failures tend to happen at or within a few days of initial power-up. I recall getting a HUGE (21" monochrome) CRT monitor for my first serious machine (Mac IIcx), plugging it in to check it with the computer, then I went downstairs in the grad housing to check on laundry.

When I got back, there was this humming noise. Smelled like ozone in there, too. And the monitor was off...? No, it was NOT off, and when I looked through the grille on the case, I could see various sparks popping around. Immediately unplugged its power, then disconnected it from the Mac. But that happened within the first hour of power-up, necessitated an immediate replacement.

Better late than never... I've been away from music for a while (indulging in my fishkeeping hobby) but just for the sake of completion and for the record:
The original 1036 module from the ARP 2500 did do Track & Hold, and there was nothing wrong with my Behringer module.

Problem was that the Trig switch position requires a hefty trigger voltage before it reacts, so I tried with the Gate position, and that indeed sets it to Track & Hold, and correctly so.