Hello everyone,
I'm currently looking for a sampler for specific purposes. I like to use field recordings to give a song a certain surface. These are usually around 5 minutes long. The sampler should therefore have no problem with long samples. I would also like to store my own synth engines on it and control them via CV/gate. A granular function is not important to me. I think Morphagene also has a lot of potential but the recording time is limited. I've only read good things about Squid Sample but unfortunately too short with 11s recording time. The only module I found is the 1010 Bitbox micro. Are there any other alternatives?

Hi, take a look at the Squarp Rample.
There are no samples duration limits, can play 4 mono or 2 stereo samples, support layers (think round robin or other creative purpose), you've got Fx and parameters under CV control.
If it's important for you to see the sample's waveform on a screen I would also consider an Erica Sample Drum.

"I would also like to store my own synth engines on it and control them via CV/gate"
do you mean importing a single looped cycle waveform?

I mean that I can store my own synth samples on the sampler (wav, aiff, etc.) that I can control and play via an external keyboard

Ok, got it.
If the CV input of the sampler track 1 V/Octaves you can control your synth samples chromatically, So check for this spec in the features of the sampler you are considering.
The Squarp Rample can do this.

1010's Bitbox is nice for that..
if you just wanna play long samples as backing track or vibes I recommend radio music by music thing modular

Hello everyone,
I'm currently looking for a sampler for specific purposes. I like to use field recordings to give a song a certain surface. These are usually around 5 minutes long. The sampler should therefore have no problem with long samples. I would also like to store my own synth engines on it and control them via CV/gate. A granular function is not important to me. I think Morphagene also has a lot of potential but the recording time is limited. I've only read good things about Squid Sample but unfortunately too short with 11s recording time. The only module I found is the 1010 Bitbox micro. Are there any other alternatives?

-- FWGW

Disting does all you need.

Disting does all you need.

-- John_V

Except for having the ability to move a micro SD card from it to a PC for loading.

And to the OP: that's a function that any sampler you get should have these days. You can do much more in the assembly and processing of signals for looping in the computer, then moving those results via the card to the sampler. Also, another very effective way of dealing with sample length limitations is to set up a bunch of related or even near-identical on the card for simultaneous playback. If these sample loops are of inequal length, you'll get a backdrop that's constantly in flux and, if you do the math right, COMPLETELY non-repeating. This is how I can use a fairly limited device like the Zoom ST-224 as a "background generator"; if I have several similar stereo loops running at the same level but with no means of synchronization, this sounds indistiguishable from a single stereo background track.

An example: let's say you've got four loops: 0:30, 0:27, 0:11, and 0:18. Start them at the same time, and then the next time those will line up in that way will be nearly 45 hours later (30 x 27 x 11 x 18 / 60 / 60 = one period of all loops). Pretty effective, really.

An example: let's say you've got four loops: 0:30, 0:27, 0:11, and 0:18. Start them at the same time, and then the next time those will line up in that way will be nearly 45 hours later (30 x 27 x 11 x 18 / 60 / 60 = one period of all loops). Pretty effective, really.

-- Lugia

The math is a bit off here: the least common multiple of 30, 27, 11, 18 is 5940, so the loops will repeat after 99 minutes (which is still pretty effective). Changing the lengths to 31, 29, 11, 19 will get you 52+ hours.

The least common multiple of two numbers is their product divided by their greatest common divisor. The greatest common divisor can be computed by Euclid's algorithm, probably the oldest recorded algorithm (circa 300 BC). Euclid's algorithm can be adapted to evenly distribute beats in a bar, leading to the Euclidean rhythms one hears about in the modular world.