Can anyone walk me through how i connect my synthtech E352 and Plaits to the beatstep pro so I can play Them on the 2 beatstep sequencers?

What do I need to connect to what?

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

I haven't got an E352, but I do have Plaits and use it with the BSP. Pick either the yellow or the green sequencer. At the back, you will find "pitch", which goes into the Plaits V/Oct. And the trigger goes into the trigger. That's the basic setup. It works well with e.g. the resonance modes ("mini-Rings"). You can adjust some parameters by long-pushing the left button. See the manual for more info.

You can also patch the trigger to an envelope generator, as with analog VCOs that don't have triggers themselves. You can use the velocity to modify parameters, e.g. the timbre or the harmonics. But I don't find that very easy to do with the BSP as the pads aren't very accurate for velocity, so you'll have to use those knobs at the top to correct it all.

Modular playlist on SoundCloud

plaits has an internal vc/vcf/lpg - most oscillators do not have this...

I'm assuming that the e352 doesn't...

pitch from bsp to vco pitch input (maybe marked v/oct)

output of vco into vca and then possibly into a filter (or vice versa)

gate from bsp into cv input of vca or into envelope generator and then into cv input of vca

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

awesome thanks guys

output of vco into vca and then possibly into a filter (or vice versa)
-- JimHowell1970

I like to put the filter before the VCA these days so the resonance gets handled by the envelope as well but that's just a variation of the perfectly fine workflow Jim explained so well.

Modular playlist on SoundCloud

Thanks Guys.another Thing I have a pams new workout can I clock the BST to that?

Thanks Guys.another Thing I have a pams new workout can I clock the BST to that?
-- Broken-Form

I should think so - check the manual

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

just tried to connect the BSP to plaits as descibed above,but i only get real short sounds comin out of Plaits,what im after some some longer Drone sounds,any tips?

just tried to connect the BSP to plaits as descibed above,but i only get real short sounds comin out of Plaits,what im after some some longer Drone sounds,any tips?
-- Broken-Form

don't plug anything into trig or level...

-- Broken-Form

don't plug anything into trig or level...
-- JimHowell1970

i plugged the gate from BSP into trigger on Plaits

-- Broken-Form

then you won't get a continuous sound from plaits - leave this unplugged and plaits will drone (depending on the mode) just like any other oscillator

-- Broken-Form

then you won't get a continuous sound from plaits - leave this unplugged and plaits will drone (depending on the mode) just like any other oscillator

-- JimHowell1970

aahh nice Thanks Jim

The BSP's gate actually goes somewhere else altogether in a basic patch: an envelope generator.

Gates are basically a "squared envelope". Zero rise and fall rates, though. So what the EG does is to translate that gate pulse into something more like an instrument's physical envelope. So the proper patch would really look more like
ModularGrid Rack
(Ok, yeah...it's not patched. MG's patching system seems to have a Firefox issue...? Anyway...)
I used Doepfer stuff here because it's easy to follow, but the same rules apply to any similar combination of modules of this sort.

In order to patch this up to a BeatStep Pro, you would...

1) Connect a BSP CV OUT (whichever channel you prefer) to the CV IN on the VCO.
2) Connect the VCO audio output (or two in this case, since the VCA has a dual input) to the first VCA's audio input(s).
3) Connect the VCA audio OUT to the VCF audio input.
4) Connect the VCF audio OUT to the second VCA's audio input.
5) Connect the second VCA's audio output to a mixer channel for combining with other audio signals for eventual output.

So, that's the audio path. Now, for the modulators, you can see an LFO and two ADSR envelope generators. So...

6) Connect an LFO output to a modulation input on the VCO and use this sparingly for a bit of audio vibrato. You can also add a vibrato to the VCF as well, potentially with a different LFO waveform.
7) Connect the BSP's GATE OUT on the chosen channel to BOTH of the gate inputs on the envelope generators. This now has both ADSRs responding to the same gate signal.
8) Select a decent envelope for your purposes, and then send that to BOTH VCAs.
9) Lastly, use the other ADSR with a shorter and different envelope to modulate the VCF's cutoff frequency.

Basic bass, that. But that's how the BSP's CV sequencers should be patched for basics.

Thanks Lugia will defo try to follow this.i have a zadar so could try that

So connect the gate from BSP to the trigger on zadar or have i gotten that wrong?

Gates on the BSP go to the trigger inputs, yes. Plus, since the Zadar deals with gates by only responding to the initial rise, you can also use LFOs that have a sharp leading edge on their output waveform to trigger the Zadar. Useful!