Hello!

I’m planning to build my first euro rack case.
Been playing techno live with a friend for some years already and looking into a fun and compact modular setup for a solo liveset.

I will use a SR909, a octatrack, a 303, some effect pedals, and a intellijel 7u case. Maybe I’ll also have my Oxi One with me.

ModularGrid Rack

Could someone give me any advices on this setup? I lack 1U modules. Probably a mini patchbay + delay + headphones out.
Also, the Vortices mixer is too large to fit top right.. Do you know any mixer I could use instead ? I was thinking of adding a Qu Bit Data Bender instead + small mixer.

I’ve also decided to add a Frap Tooks Falistri as a learning tool (slightly smaller than Maths) but not quite sure of how I will use it yet.

Thanks for your time 🙏 I’m a eurorack noob don’t hesitate to tell me if you think about something useful.

well it's not really a modular synth is it? it's a collection of semis in a case with a few modules to bulk it out... as a modular synth it's shit...

at least one of the semis (probably more) have their own cases and power supply - use these otherwise you are increasing the cost of them by 10-20% and taking up rack space for actual modules

the other disadvantage of these is that you are not levering the advantages of modular - use this filter with this oscillator one patch and the next use a different filter with that oscillator.. etc etc

how are you going to sequence? use the mom? ok well there may be issues there iirc mom uses slightly different pitch scaling - so you'd need something to translate - or the octatrack? does it have cv outputs, idk... oxi one? no need for the buffered mult (buffers are generally only needed for pitch)

how are you mixing your external synths - I would not bother with an eoc modular mixer in this case... I would use the external mixer - which you might need to upgrade - but it will be less expensive...

falistri - urgh - imo - bad layout etc - get a maths instead, better learning documentation is available for it - see the 'maths illustrated manual' as well as the plethora of videos on you tube

on top of this, not enough utilities, not enough modulation... see my signature for hints on how to create racks that give the most versatility for the least cash...

1u - I cannot convey how wasteful I think it is (not necessarily a popular ideology) - in terms of cases they cost the same as 3u (or so close as to be irrelevant) and an extra 2u takes up about 3" and means you can fit way more functionality in the case - if I was given the choice of an intellijel 7u case or 2 mantises, I'd always take the mantises...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

JimHowell1970 :
Thanks for your reply! Well it’s not a proper system of course. I already own the Swarm and I want a DFAM and Dysmetria so I can use them out of the rack later and gain space for other stuff (switches, filters, modulations etc).
I just want a full functional case where I can start learning eurorack, write music and get ideas on the next modules.
As a sequencer I will be probably be using the Oxi One connected with the Oxi Pipe (top left) of the rack.
As an external mixer I will have a soundcraft EFX8 and a Mackie 1202 (sub mixer). Also a Delay, a stereo filter and one outboard compressor.
I’m hearing your advice on Maths as a lot of people tell it’s one of the best! Do you think it can adapt well in this setup ?
I need to dig more into utility modules and their use cases too.

ok planning on taking the semis out of the case in the future - you get a pass on this

maths can work well in all racks...

I wouldn't worry about filling the case all at once - personally I think a single voice - vco, filter, modulation source (possibly maths) & a decent vca (quad cascading) plus a way to play & a way to listen is a good start, then add a few utilities and then think about more voices is a better way to go

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

As an external mixer I will have a soundcraft EFX8 and a Mackie 1202 (sub mixer). Also a Delay, a stereo filter and one outboard compressor.

+1 on Soundcraft, -1 on the EFX series.

Save yourself some money and get the EPM6. Same mixer, no internal FX. Then hop over to Reverb and/or eBay and grab some rack hardware...since the EPM6 has a typical small-mixer mono-send/stereo-return setup, devices such as the venerable Yamaha SPX90 will work very nicely in that situation, and give you a lot more FX capability than a little onboard FX chip.

I’m hearing your advice on Maths as a lot of people tell it’s one of the best! Do you think it can adapt well in this setup ?

I don't even have to look, since Maths is perhaps one of the finest modulation sources devised. It works in ANY setup, as long as you've got space for its 20 hp.

Even people who grumble about Maths eventually wind up with one. No lie.

Lugia : Hey thanks for the reply!!
I’ve been touring w a friend for 4 years using a FX16II and we just use the fx for a bit of reverb, enough for our needs. We bought the EFX8 as a more compact mixer we can travel with (the FX16II already got stuck at the airport ..)
I know there are some better reverbs out there that I would love to use but its already a pain to carry so much stuff (mixer / 4 drum machines and synths each / outboard delay and two outboard compressors ..) so the EFX8 allows us to gain a bit of space. There is an aux track we can use on the efx8 tho!! (For delay or comp). In the studio im using a Zoia and Boss SX700 but i will check into the SPX90 😃
Old school Yamaha gear rocks!