Hello everyone...

SO, I, probably like an infinite number of other people, am asking for advice.

I jumped into modular feet first. I spent a lot of money on modules based on what I heard from those modules on YouTube. There was 'some' planning, but I don't think I knew enough to make the right decisions. The other huge problem that I have run into is the learning curve required. I've got into synthesis and programming Arduinos. Even have delved into Supercollider programming. This is kind of a different animal.
While I think I have an appreciable amount of knowledge, it doesn't always translate well into what any specific module does or how it does it.

I have already upgraded from a 2u x 84 hp case, to a 2u x 104 hp case and have the rest of the modules I needed to fill it up. What I have here, is what will be in the case at some point this week. I've added the NerdSeq, Polivoks, and Mimeophon that are on the way.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1956410.jpg

My question... before I run on too long, is what are some opinions on what I'm lacking in utility or function? Do I have what I need? My old rack is fairly empty now. I have an instrument interface and a wogglebug in there. Mainly, I'm looking for that "Dude, how could you have forgot to get that?" kind of advice. The truth is, I really don't know any better...yet.

Thanks for taking the time to help :)

First thing I notice is that you have no VCAs. They're crucial to any system. I'm not really in the "you can't have too many VCAs" camp (I probably don't have enough for my system, given its size)... but really, you can't have too many of them, and you seem to have none at all, except for the one in the Erica Pico-system.

You also have very little in the way of other utilities... mixers, mults, logic, switches, etc. These are the things that make modular interesting and strange.

here's the link, because jpgs suck!!

ModularGrid Rack

and I totally agree with @Shakespeare - more utilities, more utilities, more utilities... see my signature... it's a rough guide to getting a balanced, versatile modular for the least outlay...

what utilities? the ones you need, but getting more vcas, a matrix mixer, attenuverters, attenuators, logic and offset modules would be a good start...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

You also have very little in the way of other utilities... mixers, mults, logic, switches, etc. These are the things that make modular interesting and strange.

-- Shakespeare

Yeah, I was thinking I didn't spend enough time looking at the less 'shiny' modules. I went about choosing the modules that seemed the most fun and pretty much neglected the utility. I bought Maths since it was pretty much marketed as a 'do-all' kind of module that would turn into a lot of different utility as needed.

Do have any bang-for-your-buck kind of modules that you'd recommend?

go for doepfer - matrix mixer, sequential switch, polarizer etc etc

joranalogue compare 2 is an interesting logic module

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

go for doepfer - matrix mixer, sequential switch, polarizer etc etc

joranalogue compare 2 is an interesting logic module

-- JimHowell1970

Thanks for the advice. I actually had the Doepfer in my shopping cart for the next round of modules to buy. I'll check out the others.

Yeah...and this highlights one point that I've gotten some crap for: YouTube is NOT the right place to shop for modular gear. You have to keep in mind that, in lots of cases, reviewers on YT have a vested interest in telling you how absolutely WONDERFUL this new module, etc is. Granted, this has been better as of late since YT started mandating that presenters have to disclose any compensation gained through a company relationship, but it still exists in older clips that predate that. It's better to see what things do on YT...and then check with actual users as to whether those things are all that useful in the first place.

As for the build above, well...you're going to have a ton of trouble controlling a modular synth with no VCAs...unless you've got several extra hands to control levels while the other two are working the OTHER controls. And fyi, Walgreens has a great selection of tweezers to go with the Pico system's controls; that device is irritating AF due to the rotten ergonomics that jam everything too closely together. Put THAT part of the build back in its own case where it belongs, as having it in with the rest of this flirts with creating a big patchcord snarl on the left end of the cab. And that should open up some space in this build.

If you've not worked with VCV Rack, I strongly suggest that you do so before buying anything else. That will give you loads of insight on what went wrong here, and how to correct it.