Ok so, I'll bite. I'm kinda mostly using my rack for feedbacky weirdness, textural fart sounds and other not-so-melodic stuff, however I'd really love to get more out of it. Initially I kinda wanted to go slightly serge-esque route but I got somehow lost in the way. I'm quite sure that the general consensus of recommendations will be "get rid of akemie's and some other osc and get some more modulation/utility, which is all fine; I just don't know what the heck I should go for (Batumi comes to mind for some reason) I haven't actually gotten a*b+c or compare2 but I like the way I could use the former to scale and offset (also with cv!) and compare2 seems like an interesting thing to explore. I got rid of Pamela's new workout cause I felt it dictates too much how to patch my system so pls don't recommend it. B)

ModularGrid Rack

Thank you guys so much!

matrix mixers are good - primarily imo for creating more, complex modulation... take copies of 4 modulation sources and mix them together in varying amounts to produce 4 more different, but related modulation sources... I like the doepfer as it id both inexpensive and ergonomic

also sequential switches (and switches in general) can be really handy - again doepfer is great for this

re pams - not going to recommend it as such - just going to note that any "dictation in how to patch" your modular is you and not any particular module - especially given what Pams can do...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

You have a lot of nice modules here, with much scope for experimentation (even without A*B+C and Compare 2). About all I might suggest would be some attenuverters (3xMIA or similar). I think that, more than new acquisitions, you probably need to think of ways to shake up or freshen up your patching routine. Maybe focus on one or two modules at a time and really see what you can do with those at the centre, bringing in others for support as needed.

this user has left ModularGrid

I really appreciate the replies! I've kinda decided that, probably the smartest (not the cheapest) move in the longer run is to get an Intellijel 7U (104 HP) and get at least 2 quadratts and then some. If anybody is selling theirs and is willing to ship to Finland hit me up :)

Good one on the matrix mixer but the only one I've ever considered was the doepfer one, which is unfortunately huge. I've seen some smaller ones, but they usually lack the possibility for cv control, oh well, maybe one day!

I really appreciate the replies! I've kinda decided that, probably the smartest (not the cheapest) move in the longer run is to get an Intellijel 7U (104 HP) and get at least 2 quadratts and then some. If anybody is selling theirs and is willing to ship to Finland hit me up :)

I don't have any 1u (I think it's incredibly expensive* for what it is in terms of case cost - & I build most of my cases!) but if I did I'd want the intellijel noise tools module

*adding a 1u row to a case costs the same as a 3u row, can only hold 1/3rd the functionality and only saves 3.5" vertically

I'd buy 2 tiptop mantises over a intellijel 7u anyday!!! cheaper and way more usable hp plus arguably much better power!

Good one on the matrix mixer but the only one I've ever considered was the doepfer one, which is unfortunately huge. I've seen some smaller ones, but they usually lack the possibility for cv control, oh well, maybe one day!
-- sulo

the doepfer is incredibly well sized due to ergonomics - I have 2 smaller ones (pusherman and york modular) and they are too small and cramped

you might want to look out for a used rebel technology mix 04 - they are as far as I know discontinued - only 10hp, cv control over everything, but then you need more modules to control it!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

-- JimHowell1970

Moneywise you're definitely right, the Mantis comes at an unbeatable price, especially considering the power. My current case is actually mantis and I'm happy with it. The only thing is that it's not very roadworthy. I'm currently also in a situation where I have to always put away my case after I'm done jamming, so the simplicity of having just one (main) case is pretty lucrative :<

there's a briefcase type travel case for the mantis available if needed which looks really sturdy... can't remember the manufacturer though

I've taken mine on trains, planes and buses with no problem in just the normal carry case - whilst hauling a large bag as well, though!! but I do understand though, I wouldn't like to drop it too far!

I see Thom Yorke/The Smile tour with a mantis - I wonder what they use... possibly a pelican...

I can't imagine having to put my modular away,,, mind you, it's a bit difficult with 8 cases!