Hello, everyone,

I would like to start a thread dealing with the 62hp Palette from Intellijel.

The main module in the system should be Morphagene. All other modules should be based on it.
The basic idea for my rack is Morphagene as the first sound source. Tides V2 is the second sound source as an oscillator for atmospheric backings or for modulation. The 4 outputs can be modulated with Ochd via the two VCAs. Beads and FX Aid for the effects section and ears as input for external sound sources. Pamela's NEW Workout for clock and modulation

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1947169.jpg

What would your setup look like around Morphagene in the 62 hp range or what would you change?

I look forward to interesting answers

Hello, everyone,

I would like to start a thread dealing with the 62hp Palette from Intellijel.

It's not a good starter case - best reserved for specific things like sequencing - to compliment a proper case

a much better (and by that I mean infinitely better) starter case is a Tiptop Mantis - it's 104hp with 2 rows which means that you will have space to expand (which you will need) - and it's the best by far case for hp/cost/good power/manufacturer reputation - and it is still very portable (unless you are a small child) - and it relieves you from the burden of 1u modules and the mostly superfluous preinstalled functions

The main module in the system should be Morphagene. All other modules should be based on it.

There are no modules based on the Morphagene - perhaps you mean compliment?

The basic idea for my rack is Morphagene as the first sound source. Tides V2 is the second sound source as an oscillator for atmospheric backings or for modulation. The 4 outputs can be modulated with Ochd via the two VCAs. Beads and FX Aid for the effects section and ears as input for external sound sources. Pamela's NEW Workout for clock and modulation

There is not enough space in a 62hp case for multiple voices and the support modules that are needed to provide the infrastructure that is needed to get them to work... please see my signature for a rough guide on how to get the most versatility from a modular synthesizer for the least cash

Have you got the ears yet? - it's a fantastic module, but it's discontinued (like almost all mutable instruments modules) and potentially difficult to get...

Having found the actual rack (so I could insert the link below) I've inferred that you are a guitar player - me too! I'd want a better input module - if I was starting now I would get a sonicsmith converter ev1 - this has the best pitch follower of any module and adds a vco that follows that pitch...

I'd also want i/o for pedals and some ways of controlling the modular with my feet (whilst playing the guitar) so some combination of foot switches and expression pedals - I'd look at addac for this - they do a great module that comes with a breakout box and some foot switches - you just have to add the expression pedals and you are good to go!!

another issue is that the modules are too cramped - once you have plugged in patch cables - at least some of the modules will have knobs that will not be accessible - eurorack is already very small and ignoring ergonomics can lead to completely unplayable synths - this is at least verging on it... especially aroud the fx aid...

not enough mixers imo!!!

how are you intending to provide pitch information to tides? no midi ->cv module, no sequencer... you could use pams, but it will only be a quantized, looped random signal... also remember that you will need to tune tides to your root note...

also I would strongly suggest doing some more research on modular synthesis - the modulation that you are describing is really just shaping notes from the sound sources - vcas are incredibly useful for other things as well - & for basic modulation - modulation -> attenuator/attenuverter -> modulayion input on module is a good way to go - whilst this is perhaps a little bit out of date, it is still a good learning resource - https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43964

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1947169.jpg

Here's the actual link to the rack - jpgs are useless for people trying to help you!!!

ModularGrid Rack

What would your setup look like around Morphagene in the 62 hp range or what would you change?

predominantly the case into a more sensible one, replace ears, add features that are useful for giutarists - replace the 1u modules with 3u so they will fit in the mantis

if you absolutely must have 1u - then I would want the noise tools module - all the rest are m'eh at best (can you tell I think 1u is an absolute waste of space?)

I look forward to interesting answers

-- FWGW

I hope it was interesting!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thank`s for your answer. The modwiggler source is incredible and worth a lot. I don't intend to build my system limited to 62hp. I'm only interested in what's possible in this small space. Or if someone, for example, uses the pallete next to the main case as a travel case.

I have all modules except the 1u modules in my rack
+ Marbles, Plaits, Ripples, Rings, Samara II, Döpfer Quad VCA, Döpfer Narrow Mixer, Yarns, Disting MK4, ALM019 out

And yes, your reply was interesting ;)

this user has left ModularGrid

Had a bash at this, too...
ModularGrid Rack
Kinda different...I approached this purely as an FX processor.

TILES: Noise Tools is first, provides a master clock (if needed), sample and hold, noise source, and slew limiter. Then a DuATT handles the basic mixing/attenuation for control signals. The Apex offers about 20+ other (mostly modulation) functions, including various envelope generator functions. And the Stereo Out, of course.

ROW: Starts with a little PWRchekr so you can keep an eye on DC rail health. Then the Nonlinearcircuits Env Follower gives you your guitar preamp, plus gate and envelope outputs derived from the inputted signal. I tossed the Ochd in deference to having individually-controlled LFOs via the Xaoc Batumi (and Poti). Then I added a Warps clone so that you can do various sorts of audio mangling before anything hits the Morphagene, which is next. And the Beads is after that...followed by Happy Nerding's 4x stereo mixer. Now, that module lets you take all three processing modules' outputs and parallel mix them, so you can either use the processors in a linear fashion, or you can have them with individually-controlled levels in a parallel configuration. This is VERY flexible in terms of sonics; using that mixer opens this build up a bit farther than expected.

But Jim's quite correct...the Palette 62 is definitely NOT a proper starting cab. But it does make a good case for building something "mission-specific", which this is. No sound generation (not counting the noise source here) as this build isn't really a synth, but this IS a hellacious "stomp-box" as far as guitar processing goes.