Hi All,

I recently put together a Eurorack using a Moog 104 case and I have 18 hp left. I was wondering what others would suggest I use that remaining space for.

I'm primarily interested in generative sounds, ambient soundscapes and rhythmical noise.

What are some of the modules that others would add to what I already have knowing that the limitation is only 18 hp?

Note that I have a Korg sq-1 so I don't need a sequencer in my rack. Also note that I don't actually have the Dixie VCO yet but plan to get in next month. It would replace the Behringer 110 to free up some space.

Thanks for any suggestions!

reverb, delay, utilities...

bigger case... mantis is good

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

+1 on the Mantis, as usual. And in fact, this build shows why:
ModularGrid Rack
The current build here is 1/2 of a Mantis. You'll notice that all of your modulators takes up about half a row, the voicing takes the other half. That's not TOO bad...but it means there's no room for FX, submixers, etc etc etc. BTW, that layout is cribbed from the Steiner-Parker Synthacon: modulation left, voicing right, but it avoids the "mix at center" issue that the Synthacon had. Plus, one other immediate point: the UliPlaits can be swapped out for pretty much ANYTHING that's smaller; you don't have room for a single 16 hp oscillator (with extra bits). There's barely enough room for the Maths, but it's far harder to "shrink".

Additions are: Doepfer A-154-4 quad LFO. There is the one on the 100M clone module, but I'm not all that jazzed by that module anyway. It takes up too much space for what it is; you could easily drop in a Xaoc Batumi and Zadar if the B. 100M and the quad LFO weren't in there, and that would give you four LFOs and four EGs. That's a little outside of the scope of this exercise, though.

Tenderfoot Ease and After Later DVCA. These are a (bare minimum) modulation manipulation core. These allow you to vary and/or invert modulation signals, place modulation under VCA control (VERY useful!), and in essence make your modulation sources...uh, more modulation sources.

4ms Listen I/O. This not only handles the drop from synth-level to line-level, it can also do the opposite in its input section, meaning that you can use the synth to process incoming audio.

So...it's workable, you can make it behave like a very basic monosynth with some extra trickery inside. It's still missing stuff that you would have space for in a Mantis, though.

Pamela's New Workout and/or Marbles are great for rhythmic/generative gates/CV

Thank you for the suggestions.

At this time I'm restricting myself to the 104hp (for space and budget reasons) but maybe in the future will expand to a 2nd row of 104hp.

@Lugia Sounds like utilities/modulations sources are the way to go with the limited space I have. When I first saw you recommended After Later DVCA I was a bit surprised as I already have the Quad VCA. But just last night I noticed I was using all 4 VCAs and now see how the additional 2 on the DVCA would be useful.

re: the 4ms Listen I/O, this looks useful but I probably will not use the input as the only thing I really use my rack with is the sq-1 or a Neutron. But I like the output as I use headphones so I'm considering the PICO output as it is only 3hp and has the output which I could use if I ever decide to record anything. Right now I'm just using a cheap headphone attenuator plugged into my VCA with my headphones.

2 other utilities I am considering along with what you have suggested are the Intellijel Triplatt and the Happy Nerding 3x MIA (although I can't find that one on sale anywhere).

Oh and I forgot to mention I do have a Korg nts-1 so I think I can use that for reverb/delay etc...

@33PO Marbles looks interesting and I'd consider adding that but at 18hp for the one module I think I'll need to wait until I have another row of rack space to add that one. I've looked at Pamela's New Workout and see that people highly recommend it, but I am trying to avoid menu driving which is why I'm not really looking at the disting mk4 either.

thanks again everyone!

ModularGrid Rack

Hi Sndbyte, you mentioned being interested in generative sounds but I didn't see much support for that in your rack. If you wanted to go further down that path, maybe sell the Behringers, replace with a mini-Plaits and use the space saved for more generative-friendly modules.

Here's a suggestion rack: You'll need some random for generative. The SSF Ultra Random is discontinued but I got mine off Reverb (with a little patience) or you could get the Wogglebug instead - either gives you lots of options. The Pip Slope EG can be put in cycle mode and is fully CV'able. Missed Opportunities might be random overkill but is there to spice up all the EOCs. The duo Quanitze for making your two voices a little more musical, and a clock/signal modulator so you don't have to over-commit your Maths and use that for other interesting stuff instead.

@Lugia Sounds like utilities/modulations sources are the way to go with the limited space I have. When I first saw you recommended After Later DVCA I was a bit surprised as I already have the Quad VCA. But just last night I noticed I was using all 4 VCAs and now see how the additional 2 on the DVCA would be useful.

...thereby demonstrating the modular synth truism that "You can never have too many VCAs".

re: the 4ms Listen I/O, this looks useful but I probably will not use the input as the only thing I really use my rack with is the sq-1 or a Neutron. But I like the output as I use headphones so I'm considering the PICO output as it is only 3hp and has the output which I could use if I ever decide to record anything. Right now I'm just using a cheap headphone attenuator plugged into my VCA with my headphones.

-- sndbyte

Another consideration would be Happy Nerding's new version of their Isolator. 4 hp, balanced 1/4" outs plus a headphone preamp, a stereo ganged master pot, and transformers. I mentioned this elsewhere today, but the upshot there is that transformers do plenty of stuff...they block DC from getting into your monitoring chain (which you REALLY don't want!), they keep induced crud and ground loops under control, and just like other transformers, you can hit them harder and you get this nice, euphonious saturation that can punch up sounds (especially in the lower octaves). Wins all around.

I went ahead and took the advice on the Mantis and picked up one last week in black. I also added more utilities as you can see, the quad lfo, dual vca, a mixer, triplatt and the noise source, oh and the FEG (which is a really nice looping ADSR). And I splurged on the Data. I'm not going to add any more modules in the near future as I want to spend time using the ones I have and learning more about each. After that I have 64hp left. I don't plan on adding any more of the 4hp slim line modules as they are not as easy to use as the larger modules. Having these slim modules seems to work when they are space out, but definitely not right next to each other as knob turning then becomes a real challenge.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

It's good to see someone not only taking advice, but also seeing the reasoning behind it in action...

have fun!!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I only saw the mantis setup and thought: That's a nice rig to play with! Looks like a solid plan to follow.
Have fun creating and growing with this!