How’s this for a starting point? I went Doepfer for affordable and trusted and mutable instruments for versitility and sound generation. I don’t have any effects yet, I thought I’d master this first. What you think? Am I missing or could have done similar cheaper / better?

Hi Tooth,

I am rather new at this stuff, but I think you will probably need a VCA module in addition to the LFO and envelope modules.

The way it works is that a LFO generates your waveform, and you connect it to a VCA to control its volume. Then you link up the envelope generator to the CV of the envelope stage so that when you trigger the envelope you get a sound out through the VCA.

Both the Tides and the Doepfer modules are two different styles of envelope generators, so you might just pick your fav if you want to have fewer parts. The Doepfer is more of a standard East-coast Moog-style signal ASDR, while the Tides is like a new West-coast thing that other fancy features behind menu-pushbutton selection options. The downside to the Tides is that you have to read the LEDs to know what function it is set to, the knobs change their purpose depending on the mode.

cg_funk

Thanks cg_funk

I was hoping I could use the Doepfer a101-2 as a via or in dual mode for the moment? Do you recon I’m gonna need another V&A too? I kinda got tides instead of shelling out on a maths. I also like the way you can get an extra voice from it, which I thought would be good in a small set up. Que get a maths comments...

Thanks cg_funk

I was hoping I could use the Doepfer a101-2 as a via or in dual mode for the moment? Do you recon I’m gonna need another V&A too? I kinda got tides instead of shelling out on a maths. I also like the way you can get an extra voice from it, which I thought would be good in a small set up. Que get a maths comments...

Hola Tooth, how do you plan on controlling your modular? With the modules you have you'd still be missing either a sequencer or a MIDI interface to play it.

Hey, thanks yeah I’m hoping to use expert sleepers “Silent way” from logic out of my audio interface. If I can’t get that to work then midi control yeah, maybe an Intellijel umidi? I’m wondering about swapping out the stereo mixer for a Doepfer A-135-1 quad vca? Might be a better bet?

T

In order to use your audio interface that way, it's outputs must be DC coupled. Most audio interfaces are not, so be sure to double check yours.

The advantages of the stereo mixer is that you can do panning but a quad vca allows you to have CV control over volume, but it ends up mono. It's up to you to decide which is better, but generally a VCA is more flexible.

Ah yes, thanks you're right, I've got a Focusrite Scarlet 6i6 which is AC.
So now i'm looking at a whole world of other possibilities... I have an SPDIF output. I could get a cheap USB to ADAT and use an ES-3. OR. Get a MIDI to CV. I may just ask a general question about this as i'm not quite getting the answers from the copious threads i've read...

I basically would like to use the DAW to play out simple compositions which I can fiddle around with on the rack. I guess my priority is that eventually id like to have a few voices controllable through midi...

I think what I need is a Mutant Brain: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/hexinverter-Electronique-mutant-brain
Sadly not out yet!

Well,I think that in your case the best one would be an Expert Sleepers ES-8, that way you can use it as your audio interface. It has 8 outputs and 4 inputs.

Another very good option is Hermod, which also doubles as a midi interface and does a lot of sequencing. Mutable Instruments Yarns also could serve this purpose.

The limitation with the Mutant Brain is that it only has 4 CV outs, the others are Gate/Trigs so that limits what you can do with it. Yarns, for example, can be configured so that any output can be any kind, be it CV, pitch, gate, trigger.