My EuroRack

Hi all,

this is what I ended up loooking for something to make some nice sounds for Ambient + general purpose music (in fact, I never compose for one genre...), experiment, create textures and even sparkling sounds...

I am not sure if I have all I need, or if you can suggest better (I am sure you can, so please do).

Of course i don't know all modules, I have heard nearly all I have added, but I may need a filter or an additional LFO, or...

It's your turn :-).

Thank you.

I would recommend you consider what each module's core functionality is, and how they'll interact. True, modular is a very mutable interface, but you're going to need to look into a few different types of modules to help smooth over the way different modules interact - namely, smaller mixers, attenuators/attenuverters, and VCA's. This allows you to group and adjust control voltage on the fly, and there are some modules that will check off some of this list in one module (like Mutable's Blinds or Befaco's A*B+C).

You'll also want dedicated envelope and/or LFO modules. True, you do get that out of Tides, but Rings, Warps, Braids, and the Telharmonic aren't necessarily the best for something like audio-rate modulation, which Tides will give you in spades. I think you'll find yourself using it at audio rate more often than as a dedicated envelope generator or LFO.

I'd suggest taking a step back and start a little smaller. Pick out one of each:
* one of those main sound sources (look into Plaits - it's the next gen Braids)
* a modulator (like Tides)
* a dedicated envelope generator
* something that provides mixing and attenuversion and VCA, if possible
* a dedicated output module (which Pittsburgh's interface can provide)
* a sequencer, random module (e.g. Marbles), or Midi control module (unless you have something like the Arturia Keystep that gives you CV out)

This would give you a wealth of possibilities to work with while giving you space to explore and master control voltage. When you choose to expand and pick up more of the modules on your list, you'll be better prepared to use them. But you'll find that, after a bit of playing around, that that alone will give you a pretty wide palette of possibilities.

Download VCV Rack. It's free. It's basically a Eurorack simulator. Many of the Mutable Instruments modules are available in it. The more you play the more you'll learn about making Eurorack patches and what gear you need and what gear you gravitate towards.

You will also find that many Mutable Instrument designs are available via third-party as micro-versions. This will save you a ton of space in your rack. You almost ALWAYS want the ability to add future modules to your set-up.

The other thing is that at least one of your modules is outdated. The Z-DSP unit has been revised. Mutable doesn't make Clouds anymore. You can find modules second-hand. But you're taking a chance on used modules.

I am no expert at all but can't agree more with Dinorrific.
I play ambient modular. Just my two cents here.
I use Maths a lot, same with Marbles and Tides mk2.
Morphagene is ace for weirdness, textures, loops.
Ambient loves looping delays as well, you got one in Clouds but maybe check out 4ms DLD or Magneto.
I loop lots of stuff into the DLD, with sound on sound technique, great for long evolving pads for instance.
Magneto has this wow and flutter thing that I absolutely love, it can loop and sample, pichtshift, there's even some shimmer into it.
You need VCA's as well. And a mixer.
Have you some examples of modular artists that you like ? Some YT links ? It might help.

This is a rather smallish build, for starters. In addition to the above advice, I would add that you should try for maximum functional density. If there's a 20 hp module whose functions could be found in 16 hp, then go for the smaller size. If you find a VCO module that has two VCOs in the same panel space that currently houses one, then go for the two. As noted, Clouds, Braids, and Z-DSP are all either discontinued or superceded, so you can start by yanking those out if you don't have them already. But here's an example of what I'm talking about...

A Braids module occupies 16 hp of space. Mutable's upgraded version is the Plaits, which fits into 12 hp. But if you look at Codex Modulex's "shrunk" third-party versions of the Braids and Plaits (their uOsc-I and uOsc-II respectively), you'll notice that these are 8 hp, so this means you can effectively fit two of these (or one of each) into the space the Braids currently fits in and, in the process, double your oscillator compliment. Similarly, while Intellijel's uMIDI occupies 6 hp, it only gives you one channel of voice CV/gates. But if you went up 2 more hp, this allows you to use an Expert Sleepers FH-2, which gives you eight assignable CV/gate outputs and two inputs so that you could use clocking on the modular to control DAW tempi, allow a CV to change parameters in the DAW, and so on. Plus, you can expand it if needed, and it has a lot of functions the uMIDI doesn't but which you'll probably find useful.

A couple of other things to consider: first of all, if you're tempted to add mults, don't. Use inline mult devices or stackcables instead of losing functional HP to multiples. Second, if you can find a powered cab to use instead of one that requires the power supply to be placed on the patchpanel, go with that and free up four more hp. Lastly, consider what you're missing here, VCAs being the obvious one. Sure, they're not sexy...but they're essential as they allow level control for both audio AND modulation/CV. Perhaps look at a case with a 1U tile row? Intelljel has these, but they're formatted for their special tile format. Or you could simply try putting everything in a bigger 3U cab...many of us tend to recommend "going big" while doing initial builds on MG, then paring things down from that. Case in point (pun intended), have a look here: https://www.ericasynths.lv/shop/enclosures/studio/2x126hp-monster-case-140mm-deep/ Now, this is not only powered, it also has a depth that will allow pretty much anything to be mounted in it, and if/when you're ready to enlarge your system, you can add a second one of these with Erica's dual-case sidepanels and still have everything in one handy unit.

There's LOTS of options here; don't try and get everything right in your first build, because no one ever does. Use MG as the modular building sandbox that it is, and work out possibilities to the point where you're sure there's no more possibilities to work out...THEN spend the money, as you'll be spending it a lot more sensibly that way!

Uhh, that's A LOT of VERy useful comments right there! I don't even know where to start picking up the right suggestions, but I guess some more time spent here, reading and learning can take me somewhere.

I am going thru all your suggestions, trying to reference what I don't know, and it's a real masterful set of advices! :-)

Let me read it all, understand it all, and I will be back with more questions :-) :-).

Thank you!

Jumping Flash, as cool as a looping delay with control over CV module is..... you can get a lot of mileage out of guitar stompbox delays for a lot less money and also save space in the rack. I've owned many, and use a Source Audio Nemesis at the moment, but there are dozen affordable ones I could make use of just the same. Analog delays (EHX Memory Man and Memory Boy for example) are great and can be a bit more organic sounding, but I find digital emulations are less noisy.