I would like to have a chord module for my rack. I know there are two types: One that usually gives four cv otputs from one cv input like Harmonaig or Flames Chord Machine 2 and the other type with internal oscillators/voices like QU-Bit Chord v2.
I would appreciate some advices how to think before I make my choice about what type and what module I shall consider.
I have no specific plan how to use the module but I know I want CHORDS!

Some other options are Telharmonic (Make Noise), has its own voices. Elektrofon Klang is new and does 4x CV out. Modules like Braids and Plaits have at least triads, as does the WMD Arpitecht Triad. Get both types and all of them, obviously.

Klang looks good, doing progressions from memory.

OK...first of all, do you need this to have a quantizer for the incoming CV? Some harmony modules have this, others don't. If this is only ever going to see CV from MIDI or a keyboard or any other controller that outputs properly-quantized scalar CV, then you might not want this to have quantizing at the input. BUT...

...consider this: what if you want to use it without that controller's output? What if you want to take some voltage curves and then quantize these for chordal use? This could be quite useful. So unless you're absolutely, 100% sure that you won't ever use an input quantizer with this module, you might want that capability.

Second, you want memory. Something like this works much better if you have a way to store progressions and/or parameters for harmonic extrapolation. If I were you, I'd only be looking at modules of this type if they provide a storage method.

Third, you really should have a plan for using whatever you put into a modular system, particularly if the device in question costs a chunk and occupies a lot of panel space. Sure, these look like they solve a lot of issues. But then again, so would a laptop, the right software + an Expert Sleepers interface with an expander or two. Furthermore, you can use that ES interface for a zillion things, wheras a harmony module is great as...well, a harmony module. Can it record what you do on the modular? No, but the right ES interface can. Can it host a USB controller? Probably not, but the right ES interface can. Can it...well, you get the idea. Building a successful modular synth requires plans. Figure out what you want to achieve sonically FIRST...then start figuring out optimal ways of accomplishing this. Unless you have loads of space planned for your build, chucking in a one-trick module such as a chord generator may well be the exact wrong way to do what you're trying to accomplish here. Step back a bit until the G.A.S. rush dies off, THEN start trying to figure out how a system like this would fit into what you do. Do you even have a clear picture of what you want to accomplish musically? If not, then you might wind up building a very expensive thing that sucks in $$$ and only outputs annoyance.

Thank you very much for all the good advices that I have received from you. I really understand that it is best to first have a musical goal and then examine what tools are needed to achieve this.
But unfortunately I am not a particularly musical person. But I love to create and experiment with sounds. My way of working is to find some sound, riff, rhythm or harmony and then start with that to create something. So I don't begin with any musical idea. Instead, it is the properties of the modules that give me my ideas. So I don't think it's so important for me to find the "perfect" module.

Buy a Sinfonion. Build your whole set up around it . It’s amazing :)

As has been stated you can use modules that generate chords, but this is actually fraught with frustrations - ie it's a real pain in the ass to keep everything in key
or you could use a multi-channel precision adder (or 2) to transpose
or you can use a sequencer with a lot of channels - where you have to program every note in etc
or you can get a sinfonian - the uber-quantizer/chord progression sequencer

personally after considering all the choices - I'm going to go for a Sinfonian

the other issue of this and most of the other options is how to actually play the chord - there are only a few polyphonic modules - I'm going to go with an Expert Sleepers General CV (and midi expander) and send chords to both the general midi and to some va keyboards and a stage piano that I have

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities