Hey guys,

I've now been on here for a while but this is my first post!
I'm now planning my first rack and I was wondering if you guys could give me some feedback!

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_964276.jpg?1563917168

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/modules__racks/data_sheet/964276 (Just ignore the duplicates in the list)

My goals with this rack are pretty broad. Since I'm mainly producing Techno I wanted the hole thing to be really rhythmic and also percussive (DFAM). But since I am always most inspired by the gear I use I'm hoping that this will do the trick.

So did I miss anything obvious? Would you guys recommend getting an Oscillator or Voice (I was thinking about the Basimilus from noise engineering) instead of the Morphagene? Just so you guys know I am already owning the Moog DFAM and I also have a Moog Mother 32 and my budget is around 3000$. For a case I was thinking Tiptop Audio Mantis.
I am really excited to hear your suggestions and I am also really open for any drastic changes in the rack if you think I am going the in wrong direction.

Much love,
Marvin

If you're planning on integrating the Mother 32, maybe you don't need another VCO, but something simple like an Intelligel Dixie II + gives you a versatile VCO/LFO, or the Make Noise DPO/STO modules. reverb/delay is great to have, whether on the rack or an effects pedal. the 2hp modules for reverb and delay aren't bad for the money/size.

The best advice I’ve heard when it comes to this kind of question of what to get went something like this.... Once you get started patching and making sounds, you’ll pretty quickly discover what you need to add when you think to yourself “I wish I could do this with it” and can’t with your what you already have.

I would suggest you consider adding a few smaller drum voice modules to the rack (in addition to the DFAM) and, maybe a dedicated multi-channel gate sequencer. Something like the SWT16 or Algorhythm (the two I use). That’s the one thing I wish I had done when I started was focused a little more on drum stuff than synth voices. You’ll probably want more varied drum/percussion sounds pretty quickly.

Check out my two racks on here you’ll see what I mean. One is what I currently have and the other (the wish list rack) is what I’d like to add.

If you're planning on integrating the Mother 32, maybe you don't need another VCO, but something simple like an Intelligel Dixie II + gives you a versatile VCO/LFO, or the Make Noise DPO/STO modules. reverb/delay is great to have, whether on the rack or an effects pedal. the 2hp modules for reverb and delay aren't bad for the money/size.
-- ken32489

Yeah I was also thinking the DPO! The problem is just the price since im pretty tight on the 3k. So I will probably have to decide between the Morphagene and an oscillator. For effects I will probably wait a bit since I am working pretty tightly integrated with my daw and I think basic delays and reverbs can are almost equally good out of the box!

The best advice I’ve heard when it comes to this kind of question of what to get went something like this.... Once you get started patching and making sounds, you’ll pretty quickly discover what you need to add when you think to yourself “I wish I could do this with it” and can’t with your what you already have.

I would suggest you consider adding a few smaller drum voice modules to the rack (in addition to the DFAM) and, maybe a dedicated multi-channel gate sequencer. Something like the SWT16 or Algorhythm (the two I use). That’s the one thing I wish I had done when I started was focused a little more on drum stuff than synth voices. You’ll probably want more varied drum/percussion sounds pretty quickly.

Check out my two racks on here you’ll see what I mean. One is what I currently have and the other (the wish list rack) is what I’d like to add.
-- Low_Tech

so would you suggest buying the case and maybe 1 or 2 modules and then just seeing what I need?

yeah I was also thinking about drum modules but I always feel like that I could invest the money better. so maybe I'll get the basimilus since it can do way more than just drums, but can also do really competent drums!

anyway thank you both for your suggestions! I love this community! :)

so would you suggest buying the case and maybe 1 or 2 modules and then just seeing what I need?

yeah I was also thinking about drum modules but I always feel like that I could invest the money better. so maybe I'll get the basimilus since it can do way more than just drums, but can also do really competent drums!

anyway thank you both for your suggestions! I love this community! :)
-- VNIKE

One or two modules probably won't get you very far.
The Basimilus is great if you're wanting 808 style kicks. I own it. I just bought a 1010 Music Bitbox. I think it's a great compromise for getting more percussion into your track by using samples OR sampling your own modular gear for percussion and then freeing up that gear for other purposes. It also has two alternate firmwares for wave table synthesis and a multi-fx processor.

So, this has a lot of the key parts of the black and gold setup, but with a M32 instead of the DPO, and DFAM instead of optomix..
What it is really missing, however, is a good mixing VCA. I suggest getting a quadVCA. I see you already have a mixer, but you probably also want a CV-controllable VCA to pair with that Maths. Look at Intellijel QuadVCA, or MI Veils.
Also, you could use a reverb effect, there are so many to choose from...

The BIA pairs really well with DFAM, surprisingly good pair. The DFAM has a lot of envelope outs, and BIA really likes modulation. BIA was actually my first eurorack module. But for your setup I would personally get a VCA first before investing in any additional voice modules.