One common theme when looking at starter systems is the need for more utilities, and for a better balance. As a newcomer myself I can say though that it's a bit challenging at times as there's a handful that always come up (Links, Kinks, Maths) but I feel like a nice comprehensive list would really help people to better understand the importance of these, the proper weight they should have in a rack, and how you as a newcomer will benefit from them. So I thought I'd throw this question out there: what would your top utility suggestion be in a new system, excluding the tried and true favorites above. I can even start it off by saying the secret Utility MVP in my racks so far has been the Intellijel Quad VCA (thank you @farkas again!), the cascading functions in particular are just sooooooo useful.

Anyway, curious what other people might think or have to share about this topic!

Hi Troux,

Modules that make me really happy are:

Mutable Instruments - Plaits
Make Noise - STO
Make Noise - Tempi (clock)
Xaoc Devices - Warna (buffered multiple)
Xaoc Devices - Tirana II (step sequencer, 4 steps)
Hikari Instruments - Triple AD
Hikari Instruments - Atten(uator)/Mixer
Waldorf - DVCA1
Shakmat Modular - Time Wizard (clock multiplier/divider + logic)
Doepfer - A-124 (Wasp filter)
Doepfer - A-138o & A-138p (mixer combination)
Doepfer - A-145-1 (LFO)
Intellijel - Audio I/O
Intellijel - Springray II (spring reverb)
ACL - Sinfonion (complicated thing ;-) )
Bastl Instruments - Tea Kick (percussion)
Erica Synths - Black Dual VCF
Erica Synths - Black Octasource (crazy LFO)
Synthesis Technology - E330 (Multimode VCO)
Patching Panda - Punch (dual VCA)

Of course there are many more nice modules but the above I am most happy with at the moment, my top 20 :-)

Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Good list @GarfieldModular.

The indispensable Pamela's New Workout, with the Pexp-1 expander. I use it even when I'm not using the modular! (It's my best option for clocking my other hardware.)

I just discovered the Future Sound Systems Makrow. You can adjust 6 separate parameters on any combination of your modules with the turn of a single knob. Unipolar or bipolar cv. Instant order for me.

PNW definitely rules @rossduncan, I need to figure out all the different modes, it does so much!

@farkas that looks pretty sick, gonna have to check out some vids.

Quantizer
Offsets
Attenuverters
Envelope follower
Noise sources
Sample and hold
Logic
Summing Mixer
Comparators
Buffered multiple
Ring Modulator

Nice list. I'm curious what is your favorite @defragmenteur if you had to pick just one?

Nice list. I'm curious what is your favorite @defragmenteur if you had to pick just one?
-- troux

I would pick the disting MK4 which include all these functions... :-)

Seriously it's hard to pick just one since they all do different things.
Utilities modules I use the most are :

Attenuveter/Offset module (O/A/x2)
Quantizer (Scale)
Noises (Quantum Rainbow 2)
Sample and hold (Kinks)
Logic (Min/Max) (Kinks)
Summing Mixer (333)

As far as being "new" or "noob", I'd go for multi-function modules that can give you lots of possibilities. Think Pam's New Workout, Temps Utile (like PNW), Ornaments & Crime, Expert Sleepers Disting (the dual one), etc.

Multi-function modules allow you to explore a bit, especially the Disting series. You can get hands-on with different utilities and see which settings you are using the most. If you're using that program the most, then consider buying a dedicated module with more features and that is easier to use.

That's not the only strategy you can use. But it's a good one as far as finding out what works for you.

For utility modules, I'm really happy with my Shades which is a mixer, attenuverter, offsetter and my Kinks which combines an inverter/rectifier, a min/max and a noise/S&H.

If you take a look at most prebuilt systems by modular brands, they usually have those function included.

Pam's New Workout, plus 2hp VCA, Avert, and Trim. I never see 2hp mentioned much beyond their Pluck module, but for space saving I really like their utilities.

Inscrumental music for prickly pears.

For utility modules, I'm really happy with my Shades which is a mixer, attenuverter, offsetter and my Kinks which combines an inverter/rectifier, a min/max and a noise/S&H.

If you take a look at most prebuilt systems by modular brands, they usually have those function included.
-- Martebar

shades and kinks are excellent modules (I have a kinks and 3 shades in my racks)

2hp VCA, Avert, and Trim. I never see 2hp mentioned much beyond their Pluck module, but for space saving I really like their utilities.
-- baltergeist

they were all the rage when they first came out - until people realised that they are a pain in the ass to use because they are too small and fiddly - I have 2 trims (and a couple of others TM and tune, that I don't really use any more - maybe in the future for a small portable rack - or as additional sequencing) - one each side of clouds and they are great for that - set and forget - but playability wise big knobs rule!! which means bigger modules (the same can also be said about the erica pico modules - they are kind of worse though as they are an odd size, which is annoying)

My top utilities - Kinks, matrix mixer, stages, maths, shades, doepfer sequential switch

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

this user has left ModularGrid

Cool think I am going to stock up on these tools as soon as black friday sales take place. PNW, Disting EX, and Shades. Maybe get the cool Euclidian Rhythm sequencer as it is small and does cool rythm tricks. Has anyone done patches to sequence a sequencer with other sequencers and what patch tricks worked well for you?

they were all the rage when they first came out - until people realised that they are a pain in the ass to use because they are too small and fiddly - I have 2 trims (and a couple of others TM and tune, that I don't really use any more - maybe in the future for a small portable rack - or as additional sequencing) - one each side of clouds and they are great for that - set and forget - but playability wise big knobs rule!! which means bigger modules (the same can also be said about the erica pico modules - they are kind of worse though as they are an odd size, which is annoying)

-- JimHowell1970

I don't really have any issues with them, but I do use 1hp spacers when I have multiple 2hp modules next to each other. However, they're mostly spread out between larger modules, so reaching the knobs isn't an issue for me. For example, I keep the Averts next to my Batumi and Ochd modules, the Trim is next to my banana/eurorack converter, etc. I also don't tend to knob-turn a lot once I have a patch going. When I do knob-twiddle, it's usually via Northcoast Modular Collective faders or an Acid Rain Navigator. I guess I prefer sliders?

this is how I use them too - in between things

I see a lot of newb cases with them jammed in next to each other though

often I find the sam issue with 4 hp modules too - need space around them Disting is a good exaample of this

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Good convo here! I feel like we need a pinned thread, "So you're gonna build your first rack? Take a look at these suggestions." Would help a lot of folks start off on the right foot.

this is how I use them too - in between things

I see a lot of newb cases with them jammed in next to each other though

often I find the sam issue with 4 hp modules too - need space around them Disting is a good exaample of this
-- JimHowell1970

Disting also requires menu diving, which I'm really not a fan of. That said, they really pack a lot of functionality, so, as with nearly everything in life, it's about the trade-offs/pros/cons. I'm moving more and more into non-Buchla banana jack land, so that level of control is becoming less of a concern for me.

yep disting does require a little menu diving - but it is really minimal - unless you are trying out lots of different algos in a single session - same with referring to the manual - setting up favourites on the sd card really helps in this regard as well - you might have to read a bit of the manual - but you'd do that if you got a new module anyway, wouldn't you?

tbh I probably only use 4 or 5 of the algos and at least one of them I should replace with a dedicated module

Of course! But to each their own - I'm just a real fan of one knob/button - one function. Batumi/Varigate are about as divey as I'll get, but that's my preference, and I know plenty of folks dig deeply complex modules. All good!

yeah I'm mostly looking to buy/build only knob per function modules myself - not that I haven't got quite a few multi function modules - mutable and the like

That is one reason I am hesitant to get the disting but the new one has better screen and exploring wide range of modules and functions in one place is helpful to me as a beginner with limited space and experience. I think that and Pamela's New Workout are on my holiday shopping list and some tools/utilities.

Good discussion and we should come up with a sticky for newbies to modular builds. One reason I got into modular was to get away from computers and menu diving. I prefer simpler knobs, sliders and switches over massive computer screens like those found on the 1010music modules which are computers for modular.

Problem with utilities (and I'm using a wide definition here that includes things like VCAs, mixers, attenuverters, etc) is that they SEEM optional, while those of us here on the other side of the looking glass know that they're not. So, in addition to a list of important ute modules, some explanation for WHY these matter as much as they do (with examples!) would probably also go a long way to curtailing (some) the Sexy Module Syndrome.

Word Lugia! Indeed and we can thank the wealthy Youtubers who focus on flashy modules and not utilities. Well at least Divkid and MylarMelodies do videos on the benefits of utilities! Here he explains the value of boring logic module utilities to his credit:

Now I have Kinks and Links on the way for my second rack build as well as a Hex VCA so I can better patch my systems. Plan to get Pam and Disting EX for holidays to balance things out.

Yeah, logic and related clock modulators are the key to sequential voodoo. I include in that things such as pulse delays, as well, since that also shifts timing. Logic modules are infamous for looking boring as hell while ALSO unlocking plenty of rhythmic trickery, so they get the short end of the Sexy Module stick like a lot of other things...and this is a mistake.

F'rinstance, if you'd like to just play the last note of a triplet for a bit of polyrhythm. Normally, this would be a bit of a hassle. But if you have a Boolean module, it's easy...just use a NAND gate. Then send it your triplet pulses plus a pulse that covers up at least half of a beat. When both signals are present...nothing. But when only the triplet pulse is there at the end, THEN you'll get a pulse out of the gate that can fire things for JUST that note. Way easier than trying to gin up a second sequencer on a wholly different timing.

Cool thanks Lugia. I plan to get some logic modules to pair up in my second rack. Trying to balance enough voices with filters, VCAs, envelopes and support modules is tricky. I think in a 6U case if you have 2-3 oscillators, LFO, and 2 filters then you have a base for tone and can spice it up quite a bit with support modules and sequencers. I look at the Moog and ARP 2600 synthesizer as reference point.

I'd like to add Dreadbox Utopia

because tho it's a bit packed and fiddly

it offers so much bang on 10 HP for the Buck of around 100€, it can be:

• 4 attenuverters
  • mixer (4 to 3)
  • buffered mult
  • offset generator
  • triangle lfo
  • pulse (or clock) generator

and possibly more.