this user has left ModularGrid

As I learn to patch modular systems, I keep realizing how thankful that I am to everyone here like Jim and Lugia who wisely recommend utility support modules versus a bunch of cool voice modules. As I patch more, I reach for Kinks/Links a great deal and use the attenuators and mixers in my two 6U setups more and more to create new random self generative patches.

Yes! This.

we're not dead yet!!!

at least I'm not - dunno about Lugia, but I hope not!

we were right, we are right and we will continue to be right!!

(at least on the necessity of utility modules in modular synthesis)

hahahaha

but seriously - thanks @sacguy71!!! really appreciate it!!

Jim

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

@JimHowell1970

Glad to hear you are not dead ;-)

Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

I like it... I am still alive too!!

Anyone else?

Me too! Both you Jim and Lugia are super helpful and knowledgeable on modular stuff and everyone nice here. I need a few more switches, attenuators, logic modules and bigger larger rack. Thinking of the MDLR 14U case that also has 1u for Intellijel tile modules and dual power bus supplies.

https://www.mdlrcase.com/eurorack-case-14u-126hp-performer-series-pro/

Not cheap but one case to do what I want to expand further. Has anyone used the MDLR cases? If so, how do they compare to Doepfer Monster cases? I hate that you cannot lay down Doepfer cases flat and they don't tilt or have flexible setup. Want to add a larger sequencer and mixer to the larger new case in the future as well as larger modules that won't fit in smaller cases.

Hi Sacguy71,

Well the concept of Doepfer cases is a bit different, that's why you can't lay them down. You can lay it down but you might not like the power plug make it "wobbly" ;-)

The idea instead is to use A-100LMB base case first (that gives you a half-laying/half-standing case) and on top of that you add a standing monster case.

I don't have an MDLR case, I was considering one however the power supply specifications aren't as good as those of Doepfer and the MDLR cases are more expensive on a per HP base than the Doepfer monster cases. I am actually (very) happy with the Doepfer (monster) cases, they provide some nice affordable space and are deep enough for most of the modules in the market.

Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Garfield,

Ah I see so there are two cases in one for a full Doepfer Monster case I was unaware of that! Still we are talking 3k for the full monster and base Doepfer case and half that for the smaller but more portable 12-14U MDLR case. Plus you can patch the MDLR case and fold it up for travel purposes then open and connect to PA system and ready to perform.

Hi Sacguy71,

Here check this website from Doepfer:

http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm

That shows you all the available cases, of course the monster cases are less suitable for your weekly weekend to the beach or something like that but they offer a good affordable space. Well "affordable"... more affordable than other brands, let's put it like that ;-)

If you are going to buy an MDLR case then please let us know your experience with it, once you got one.

Kind regards, Garfield.

Edit: This above link doesn't go there where I want it to go ;-) So once clicked on that link then on top on "Products" and then on "Housings overview".

Thanks Garfield,

Yeah for home studio, the Doepfer Monster base and 12U Monster case is a no brainer. For a larger mobile rig, the 12u-14U performer MDLR case looks like a winner for a large but portable rig. I am waiting to see if I use modular live after COVID ends before getting one. That or I may treat myself before then to the Make Noise Shared System and ALM Busy Circuits Super Coupe prebuilt modular systems as they come with tons of useful and powerful modules as well as cases/power that can be shuffled over time between other larger cases. I've been reading on how a lot of modular artists will have a massive home studio case and smaller mobile rig that they move modules on a regular base depending on show and venue such as ambience vs hip hop vs techno as modules are different for that like you may want a drum bass heavy rig or more ambient Mutable Instrument type stuff for a house or chill trance show.

I think having a performance kit and a studio/experiment kit makes great sense. Last thing you want to do is mess with a dialed in performance kit, but messing around is exactly what drives the next performance. Always one module short for that next killer sound. I will likely just get another mantis easy enough to port around with great value for the price. I like the bigger cases but would likely try a go at building my own studio kit rather than pay the premium to have a custom builder do it.

Agree and reading books and watching videos the pros have larger case at home and portable rig where they swap out for shows. Which is why I love gnarlies the convenient screw thingies that make swapping modules out way easier than regular screws and avoid modular rash. I hate when you buy an expensive module and the module ships with no screws! Ugh that bugs the heck out of me.

Ah, thanks, sacguy71. I had a close call with Our Pal Covid this week, but both my test and the one another person in my "line of contagion" had came back negative, so everything's golden for the time being. Can't play with that virus, though; I've got a pair of cardiac stents, which puts me in one of the riskier groups.

Still, not feeling so hot, so I'm not exactly back in overdrive just yet. Gimme a few...

Sorry to hear that Lugia, hope you have a swift recovery and glad that you are ok. You've been so encouraging as I started my journey into modular recently and after I dipped my toes into it with a small Make Noise 0-ctrl semi-modular unit. I am trying not to buy too much at one time and give time to learn, apply and make use of what I currently have. I did order more patch cables and 1/4 inch to 3.5 cables so I don't run out of cables and can also connect my two Elektrons to my two 6U setups. Probably will add a portable MIDI to CV box for connecting my Octatrack to modular and clock, trigger sequencer and more utility modules when black friday sales arrive. Want the Piston Honda MK3 and Hertz Donut MK3 but need bigger case for those and also they are sold out of most shops now.

Ah, thanks, sacguy71. I had a close call with Our Pal Covid this week, but both my test and the one another person in my "line of contagion" had came back negative, so everything's golden for the time being. Can't play with that virus, though; I've got a pair of cardiac stents, which puts me in one of the riskier groups.

Still, not feeling so hot, so I'm not exactly back in overdrive just yet. Gimme a few...
-- Lugia

hope you are feeling better soon Lugia!!!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Sorry to hear that Lugia, hope you have a swift recovery and glad that you are ok. You've been so encouraging as I started my journey into modular recently and after I dipped my toes into it with a small Make Noise 0-ctrl semi-modular unit. I am trying not to buy too much at one time...
-- sacguy71

Really? You oughta pick up the 0-Coast as well. Several people have, and the combo has been dubbed the "0-Easel" (as in the Buchla Sound Easel) for VERY good reasons! Just put 'em in the same stand and treat the pair just like you would the venerable old original.

Chiming in too to send some good vibes @Lugia, feel better soon!

@Lugia, actually I do have the 0-coast! I've had that for a couple years now and it was my first taste of patching synths before getting a full modular setup. I got the 0-ctrl to use with it and it is a beast now. Even more fun is patching the 0-coast to my two 6U modular setups as an extra voice and to use the contour for EG.

Yeah...when I saw the first take on combining the two 0s, my eyes got big as saucers. OK, there's the Sound Easel...but it's heinously expensive. And then, there's Tony's take on it, which comes in at roughly a grand and which can tear up in about the same way.

Buchla's nice...but I ain't got a Buchla bank account. An O-Easel is very much in mind here for 2021.

Exactly right! Love my 0-coast pairing with 0-ctrl is great poor man's Easel. Same here- if I had 50k to burn, would love me a Buchla Skylab and Buchla Rhythm generator along with the essential classics like Buchla 259 and source of uncertainty along with a full on Serge modular system and Moog System 15. But fortunately for us, Eurorack provides less expensive alternatives that come close. Not cheap but equally fun and lots more choices. I've been digging into my Quadrax and Kermit modules as they have tons of modulation power. I can make a full track just with one oscillator now that I can modulate and mix the heck out of the single oscillator in so many ways. Once I get a sequential switch, matrix mixer and clock then watch out, even more chaos. Verbos makes nice stuff as well from what I hear.