I like self-generating-ambient as well as fast complex arps and sequences. I will be feeding in some sequences from my DAW and using my Pro3 for keys/arp/sequences and for its Gate and CV outs. More VCAs? ;-) What else?
Any useful recommendations are appreciated.

ModularGrid Rack

A good Sample and Hold (DivKid Rnd Step or an MI Kinks for example) and another voice (I'd pick a digital one) would let you add harmonies and layers, that's probably the direction I'd head in. In a rack this size I'd also be tempted by a Disting and by a Links to add some modulation mixing in a small packacge.

Ohhh a S&H is a good idea. I haven't had the results I was expecting for the Pro3's S&H LFO, but that could be user error. I'm also interested in the Disting since it seems to pack a lot of punch into 4HP. And I can't argue with more mults and the Links looks like a good option.

For another sound source I've been thinking about Plaits given its huge variety of sound options, and adding the Polaris filter to go with it.

I'm also thinking that eventually the Mother 32 will exit this rack to make room for other stuff. :-)

Cheers

Noting a module change - I decided to return the Black Hole DSP 2 - Replacing it with a Mimeophon. I think the BHDSP does a lot of stuff, but I didn't think it did any of them that well. The max delay is too short for me (but it is great for phasing/flanging though) and the reverb didn't wow me either. And you can't sync it. I think I'll get along with Mimeophon better.

In addition to S&H, what else can I add for randomness/probability?

Cheers

Mimeophon rocks so seems like a good choice.

The Kinks S&H will give you random values on trigger if you don't plug an input in. Doepfer also has a nice random module in 4HP.

A Wogglebug is a solid choice for randomness/weirdness/probability.

Another option that is always, always useful is Pamela's New Workout. 8 channels of LFOs/Envelopes/Random/Euclidean sequences/etc. etc. etc. Great in any system, but in a system of this size, you won't find anything better for the space.

Yeah, it needs more, that's for sure. But since you jammed that M32 in there, you don't have ROOM for that "more". C'mon...it's GOT a cab and power already; Eurorack cases should be for things that DON'T. Plus, it not only hampers your ability to build in the cab, this "convenient" strategy also makes the M32 cost a lot more than it does/should. How does that work? Well...

Intellijel's 7U x 104 costs $649. Excluding the tile row, which really should only kick things down by, say, $120, this puts the cost of just the 3U rows at something like $529. 529/208 = $2.54, which is what each 1 hp space in the 3U rows costs, roughly. Now, that sounds minor...until $2.54 x 60 = $152.40!

If you didn't pay $800 and change for your Mother 32...well, hey, here's your chance!!! Just leave it in there, and I kid you not, it DOES cost that NOW.

Basically, don't do this. The style of music you're aiming for, generative ambient, requires a LOT of space for a LOT of modules if you do it correctly. Putting the M32 in the cab shoves 60 hp of possible modular functionality OUT of the case. Leave it where it is.

Many thanks for the suggestions. Lugia - I pulled the M32 out of the rack (as I mentioned I would do) and that obviously leaves a lot more room. I added Kinks, Wogglebug (which shows very well in the Make Noise demos of QPAS and Mimeophon). Plaits, Polaris, another Quad VCA, ES Disting Mk4, Pamela's New Workout and a Dixie II+.

There's still 32HP. Am I getting closer to ambient, self-generative bliss?

I just received the QPAS and Maths yesterday and holy crap that QPAS sounds incredible - and then when you modulate it - just wow! I do love the sound of the Erica Black VCO 2 and the QPAS makes it even better.

(the forum doesn't seem to update the rack here)

Try hitting your browser refresh.

Yep, that's closer...and here's something you REALLY want to pair up with the QPAS: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/happy-nerding-dual-xfade That's a stereo CVable crossfader. So, what you'd do with this is to send one QPAS stereo out pair to the "A" inputs, and another to the "B", then take the individual outs on the Dual Xfade and send those on as a stereo pair. By doing this trick, in just 4 hp you've added a cheap module that can modulate between filter response curves! Imagine back-and-forthing between the LP and HP outs...or the BP and notch! Nuts!

Nice idea! Thank you. Also I just realized I had the Roland 530 in the rack, but I actually have the 531 which has panning CV so I was taking the QPAS stereo outs from LP and HP, and adding some more stereo craziness at the mixer. Adding the Mimeophon's stereo delay to this is going to be very cool.

Since my last post here I have added Plaits, Ripples and Pamela's New Workout. I am still waiting for the Midi 1U, Quadratt, and I have the Disting EX on order too.

NOTE: This rack still shows the Mother 32 installed, but it will go eventually. I left it in because that's what I am looking at right now (except for the back-ordered items).

PNW is so deserving of all the hype. Amazing module, and between the Euclidean Stepping, Step Skipping and S&H, it gives me some of the randomization that was suggested above.

Any suggestions on a better arrangement of the modules here?