I need a temporary solution to lack of VCA and mixer until I can purchase what I really want. I spent too much on some other stuff AND the stuff I really want isn't available here NEW in the States right now. Can the Behringer 305 be used as a cheap short term solution in the following setup ? I have a Moog grandmother, Subharmonicon and Hydrasynth that I can patch in a few things that some of you may note are missing from a full modular setup. Does the Behringer 305 actually have VCA's built into it ?
Thanks in advance
You'll have to click on the picture of my Eurorack picture/link to see it now. For some reason it keeps showing and old picture/revision of it. The picture representation of it below isn't accurate. Is there a way to include pictures in a posting in these forums ?
ModularGrid Rack

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy

Hi Zappacat,

Well indeed as a temporary solution this might just work, as far as I can see from a quick look at the 305 from Behringer it should have some basic VCA functionality as well.

The main concern I have with this module is that it is 24 HP wide... in such a small rack as yours, are you sure you want to spend so much HP for a temporarily solution?

If a dual VCA would be temporarily sufficient enough for you, why you don't consider the Doepfer - A-130-2, that's a dual VCA (lin or exp) and is only 4 HP wide instead of 24 HP ! And it's cheaper than the Behringer but of course only two channels instead of 4 channels for the large 305.

Or the Doepfer A-138n is a basic 4 channel mixer, much cheaper and also 4 HP only.

Up to you of course, good luck with the decision :-) Kind regards, Garfield.

P.S.: Providing a link to your rack, as you did here is perfectly fine, one can click on it and then the current rack view will be visible. The good point of doing it like this is that a reviewer can then easily see the modules you have in your rack. With a picture that's not possible.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads