Thread: Patch #1

Check to see if sending a simple sine wave for specified amounts of time is sufficient to trigger "Freeze" on beads, which should allow for retriggering freeze.

Check to see what signal looks like on MELLOSCOPE when sending MIDI GATE out of Nuetron.

Essentially looking for something that would have both 1/4" outs (that could be used to route to my audio interface and also has 3.5 mm outs that I could route to my Cosmix mixer if I wanted. I suppose I could be making this more complicated than necessary...maybe there is a cable I could use with the 4MS Listen Four 1/4 that goes from 1/4" to 3.5mm that could be run to my Cosmix....just not sure if audio quality degrades doing something like that or not.

JB

Thread: Starter kit

Hi Jim,

About those BSP velocity sensitive buttons...

not via the trigger outs they're not - via midi they are I guess - never used mine other than via cv though

I've just tested this. The velo CV output works just fine. It outputs a very wide range between velo 0 and vel0 127. I've not metered it but I'm guessing 0-10V. When I pass it through an attenuator, it works nicely to control effects. For example, in Plaits in the granular sawtooth mode, I use it to control the spread of the frequencies of the sawtooth. The harder I punch the button, the more distorted it sounds. If you haven't yet, try it out - it's a nice way to control an effect per step with the BSP.

Modular playlist on SoundCloud

Thanks Arrandan for the recommendation. I just checked the 321 out and it seems like the perfect tool for that purpose. Even better than the ABC, as it's 3-way instead of dual, and at a better price.
If I finally go for a second Pam's I'll definitely grab at least one of these.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/antumbra-dvca
You'll have 4HP if you use the Cara marbles module, which is 2HP less than one you have in the top left.

-- Manbearpignick

Thank you!

It is done!!

I can rest easy now and think about a more sensible introduction to hardware eurorack
-- static10

To be fair, that rack was never supposed to be an introduction to Eurorack. It was an example of what’s required for a ‘serious’ generative system - I still refer to it today. It’s not really module prescriptive either because in its original thread/context, Lugia explains what each module contributes to a generative workflow: some manipulate clocks, others extract gates from waveforms, others create random CV to manipulate those waveforms, and it goes on in an ever cycling, non-repeating fashion. What I like about the rack is that there are no ‘do it all’ modules (save for maybe the Marbles or Time’s Arrow), so you really have to think through what you’re trying to do - which for me is the fun part.

Honestly, I don't think you'll save a lot. If you buy the rails themselves with a threaded strip on a site like Schneidersladen, you'll pay between €14-15 for a 19" (so €28-30 for top and bottom). If, on the other hand, you buy 12U rack strips for 19", it will set you back €12 but you will still need to figure out how to mount your modules in it. For that €15, just go for real Eurorack rails and threaded strips.

I think Jim is onto something when he says to skip the 1U. I have one but it has only 2 multis and a VCA in it. Choice is much more limited. If you want to limit expense, go for 6U so you get sufficient space with just 4 rack rails.

Thread: Marketplace

Hello @modulargrid

Is there a way to filter the marketplace offers with a specific EU country? (France in my case)

(congrats for all the previous implementations btw, the site is always improving that's great)

Alex

You'll have 4HP if you use the Cara marbles module, which is 2HP less than one you have in the top left.

-- Manbearpignick

but then you get into shitty ergonomics territory...

-- JimHowell1970

On the very long odds I could ever afford to build this, I've found a place that makes custom racks, and I'd be able to go bigger and use the proper-sized Mutable modules throughout. I've lurked in the Racks forums for quite some time now, so definitely appreciate the importance of ergonomics.

Thanks, @JimHowell1970.

-- Manbearpignick

Thank you!

It is done!!

I can rest easy now and think about a more sensible introduction to hardware eurorack

While I haven't used it myself, I've seen Frap Tools 321 advised to turn Pam's output into bipolar. You can shift the output by a DC value, so lowering it below zero, and if necessary add amplification up to 2x. I have a similar problem with Zadar, which generates positive-only values but can also be used as an LFO. I just take it into account that it's 0-10V instead of -5 - +5V.

I keep running out of Pam's outputs and am considering getting an expander and second Pam's, but since I often use utilities to make it bipolar 10Vpp (eg. Befaco A*B+C) I was wondering if there's some LFO or bipolar modulation out there that would do a similar job. I've got the Batumi, which is great, but nowhere near as versatile and feature-packed as Pam's.
I get the impression there's no module out there that can substitute it single handedly, but rather would need a bunch of other modules combined to do the same thing.

For one module in that monster generative rack? It’s ruined!

I’m just pointing it out so he can recreate the original layout :)

Great answer from Lugia on the Maths cigar :)) Humor is too often absent here. VCA: I've been using the Intellijel Quad Vca for 3 years, solid as a Montecristo Nº 4. EG: Zadar recently completed (with Nin) my other modules like Tides. It's more like a VegaFina: a unique taste and concept, excellent value for money!

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

-- Manbearpignick

but then you get into shitty ergonomics territory...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

a quantizer doesn't necessarily transpose - some can but most won't, you would normally use a precision adder for transposition, what a quantizer does is drag the input voltage to the voltage of the nearest note in the specified scale (which may be up or down depending on how the quantizer has been programmed...

with a quad quantizer all 4 inputs are usually quantized to the same scale

if all 4 of the outputs are voltages in the same scale, then they will be harmonious - this doesn't necessarily mean that they will sound how you want them to... the oscillators or voices need to be tuned - probably to the same root note, but not necessarily in the same octave - and they have to be able to track in the range that you are sending notes to them - ie probably not over 10 octaves - and the sequences have to be programmed etc

how do I use a quad quantizer in my setup? I have a sinfonion, I send it 3 or 4 sequences (made up from marbles, erica black sequencer, tesseract step fader etc), note mask each part as required and send the outputs to different vcos/voices - which are tuned to a reference C from the sinfonion - one really useful thing in the sinfonion is that you can set the starting octave of each channel - both the quantizers (and arpeggiator) and the chord progression sequencer (and the tuning C is in the correct octave) - I also use another sequencer to change song parts on the sinfonion when needed and a clock to advance within the song part

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Indeed, being in the same scale doesn't necessarily mean consonant. You can still get dissonant intervals playing at the same time, eg. a 2nd or a diminished 5th.
If inputting random uncontrollable CVs, like from an LFO or S&H, I'd recommend to set the quantizer to a specific chord, rather than a scale. This minimizes the risk of getting unwanted dissonances, if any.
I guess full scales are useful when you're inputting a more controllable source, like an unquantized sequencer, where you can set each step to specific positions until you get a combination of notes you like, and they stay there.
I hope it makes sense.

I combine the Zadar with a Veils VCA. Zadar isn't very menu-divey if you just want envelopes. If you want to use the CV inputs or set it to repeat or LFO, yes, but the menus are not very deep at all. I'm not using the expander myself. For envelopes, well, there's so many of them that it means quite some button turning before you find what you want. But that's just choice for you.

Veils is a very good, basic VCA. I sometimes move away from purely linear towards exponential (not all the way, though) to achieve clipping on the envelope. It's a simple way to add some distortion to your signal already before sending it to filters/fx. The two modules are side to side in my rack and all Zadar outs are permanently plugged into the Veils CV ins. It's a great combo :-)

Had a really nice transaction buying from @Glnds

Good seller.

Hello,

i have a question about using a quad quantizer. I understand that you can set a scale for four different inputs. Let's assume that I have four different sequences and I use the quantizer to transpose them to the same scale. But that doesn't automatically mean that all the tones fit together when the four sequences are running. Maybe I don't quite understand the exact scope.
How do you use a quad quantizer in your setup?

not unless you can find adapters - regular 19" rails usually take adapters for m5 screws - eurorack usually uses m3 screws

even then the holes won't be in the correct places and you'll have gaps everywhere

imo if you want to save money - dump the 1u row - and just go for 3u - there's nothing in 1u that isn't available in 3u and will take up less space

another way to save money is just to use wood and screw modules directly into the wood - but then you can't use the uZeus as it needs the rails for a heat sink - maybe consider a befaco excalibus, which also doesn't have a hp stealing rack wart!

ModularGrid Rack
This is a bit of a fantasy build (let’s face it, aren’t all of the racks here fantasies? Haha)

This rack is based on what is pretty much the coolest thing I’ve ever seen on Reverb: an old Haliburton suitcase adapted for Eurorack. It inspired me to think of what modules I mostly don’t have in my system. I’ve always fancied the idea of a Verbos Harmonic Oscillator, surrounded by modules that would extract the most from its capabilities. I lean toward the ‘herded kittens’ side of things: random-ish, melodic-ish, slowly unfolding type-ish. I’m dreaming of doing stuff like making a copies of the VHO’s tones and smearing the crap out of them, then mix that back in etc etc. Maybe there needs to be less modulation in favor of effects, not sure. Please critique the fantasy or add some ideas! Either way, the constraint is the Haliburton case itself: 96HP x 9U - feast you eyes on this: https://reverb.com/item/52098467-bpnyc-halliburton-eurorack-modular-travel-case-87799

Did you ever work it out?

When you view the rack's Datasheet, it gives a power sum per row, so you could use one super wide rack to represent multiple zones one-per-row

It would be super nice to be able to just tag power zones manually in the rack and have those sums instead/also in the datasheet

I am building my 1st rack w/ as little money as possible. Can I mount regular rackmount rails horizontally in place of z-rails? If so, then all I need is a micro zeus. I can cut my own panels/boards for the actual case. I'm looking at 84HP, either 4U or 7U.
Thank you!!

Hi Avesta,

Besides what Lugia already recommended, I can recommend the Hikari Instruments - Triple AD, it's a snappy triple AD that I love to use, it never disappoints me and it's not too bulky.

Regarding VCAs, my all-time winner is the Waldorf - DVCA1, it's large yes, but it's a great dual VCA that can do linear or exponential VCA characteristic, or... and that's what I love it for... mix both characteristics. It's getting sold out however those dealers that still sell them, you mind find very interesting and affordable special offers for this DVCA1.

If that's all too bulky for you then consider the Tallin from Xaoc Devices, that's a nice dual VCA too and has a much smaller footprint. Or take an affordable Doepfer VCA, they are, considering the reasonable price, good too!

For the VCAs, all mentioned examples and a few more, I have made review reports about that in PDF format that are downloadable from my website, see below my signature for the link.

Good luck in choosing a nice EG and a nice VCA :-) Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Lugia, All,

Are you specifically referring to Behringer Eurorack module Victor with its oscillator based on the Behringer Pro VS Soul? That might be indeed interesting if that's what you mean :-) How about the Pro VS Soul itself then? For me it's a bit too "mini". Let's hope Behringer comes with the real Prophet VS :-D I am just watching a video of the Prophet VS, interesting that the cut off comes as a slider and not as a knob...

Since we are mentioning here anyway that B-word, how about the upcoming Proton, Kobol, Kobol Expander, DS-80 and Pro-16? All quite interesting though the Pro-16 is a copy of a still existing Sequential Prophet 5 synthesizer, so I don't feel too happy about that one. Still interesting one but from a... how to say this...? From a human-respect-point of view not so nice but then again... let's not start that discussion again ;-)

Behringer announced lately tons of new synths, I think the above ones are the summarised interesting ones, well at least that's how I see it :-)

Edit: Whoops, I forgot to mention the VCS 3, interesting too!

I remember you mentioned in another post about the BCR32, you recommended it highly, then if I remember correctly (so please do correct me if I am wrong) you mentioned that it will not be released, however I heard (okay, rather rumours) that Behringer will continue with that, so that's yet another interesting one!

Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

this user has left ModularGrid

I highly recommend a much larger case at least 6u or larger.

Case is Behringer 104hp it's tricky as depth profile is only 38mm

Too much GAS imho.

VCV rack is fun because you can add everything but in modular, either you are rich and don't care or you have to be really careful. Module resell most of the time at 75% but really slowly. Even in second hand, it 'll cost a lot.
You can do generative ambiant with really small setting.

Personally,
Sequencing, LFO and quantizer : Pamela and Mimetic Digitalis or Harlequin's Context
Two Voice : Basimilus Iteritas, Telharmonic, Rings or Plaits
Some delay and reverb : noise engineering versio , 4ms tapographic delay, strymon, make noise mimeophon, MI Beads/Clouds, Instruo Arbhar
A VCA
A uzeus as power
A output module if you need.

First, you get Pam, a voice, a delay/reverb, practice a year, then bring carefully the rest of your first 84hp. And after, you bring a filter then more modulation, VCA, offset, logic, switch, clock modulator in the second 84hp...
-- SamuelGeai

Oh, it absolutely is, I agree! It was mostly an exercise to recreate the rack @Lugia made as it was no longer available, and the missing module I couldn't figure out on the top row was driving me crazy!

Thank you for your far more sensible suggestions, I will definitely have a good look at these and see what sort of price range I might be looking at.

Too much GAS imho.

VCV rack is fun because you can add everything but in modular, either you are rich and don't care or you have to be really careful. Module resell most of the time at 75% but really slowly. Even in second hand, it 'll cost a lot.
You can do generative ambiant with really small setting.

Personally,
Sequencing, LFO and quantizer : Pamela and Mimetic Digitalis or Harlequin's Context
Two Voice : Basimilus Iteritas, Telharmonic, Rings or Plaits
Some delay and reverb : noise engineering versio , 4ms tapographic delay, strymon, make noise mimeophon, MI Beads/Clouds, Instruo Arbhar
A VCA
A uzeus as power
A output module if you need.

First, you get Pam, a voice, a delay/reverb, practice a year, then bring carefully the rest of your first 84hp. And after, you bring a filter then more modulation, VCA, offset, logic, switch, clock modulator in the second 84hp...

I have been using VCV Rack for two, maybe three years now, and I am starting both to make noises I quite like and to wonder what it would be like to do it in hardware. I like to make generative ambient music, leaning heavily towards the dark ambient side of things.

I have read @Lugia's excellent thread on Generative Music, which lead me to this thread and their rather large rack suggestion. Unfortunately, while the image still appears in the thread, the link to the rack is broken (I imagine they have to delete racks now and then to cope with the amount of advice given in the Rack forum!)

Luckily, combined with the image and @Lugia's excellent breakdown of what they did to put the rack together, I have managed to faithfully recreate it with just one issue. On the top row, far right, there is a 2HP gap between the Overseer module and the Katowice module. In the original rack, this is filled with a module I just cannot find either through the image or text description. I thought it might be an expander module for the Overseer, but this doesn't seem to be the case. The module also looks to be bigger than the gap left in my recreation, I'd say 4HP.

What module am I missing, it's driving me mad?!

ModularGrid Rack

I don't have €1300 for the case, let alone the €10,600 for the modules, so this is merely a pipe dream at the moment, something to think about should I win the lottery. But it's nice to dream, isn't it?!

or use the delete button when trying to reply to posts.
-- Manbearpignick

I am not sure what you are trying to do here?

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net

Thank you very much @GarfieldModular
Yes, we all hope this hell will end soon.
All the best to you!

I have Cosmix and Ciao! in one of my Rackbrute 6Us as seen below. These two Rackbrutes actually site side by side with the top one sitting to the left so Cosmix and Ciao! are in the middle. This works pretty good for me, but I also now have a Rackbrute 3U which below also which I currently have 18HP of space left (will eventually get the Euroburo desktop enclosure so that will free up more HP but for now this is how its set up.

Thinking I need to add another mix module and wondering what suggestions you might have. Currently looking at the 4MS Listen Four 1/4 as it has 1/4" out that I could use once my new MOTU Ultralite MK5 shows up. Ideally however, I would like the flexibility to route out from a mixer in the 3U to the Cosmix if I wanted to. I like the Ciao! but it is odd HP...anybody know of something that might work better?

Here are the two 6Us
ModularGrid Rack

Here is the 3U
ModularGrid Rack

JB

Yep...although, there's always the cheaper alternative: use an "outdated" DAW interface (like the MOTU 828mkii I use) and some software (like Ableton's CV Tools, MOTU's Volta, etc) that can deal with incoming and outgoing control signals. That way, if you need to gig live, just use the saved voltage info in the track and connect things appropriately. You just have to make 100% sure that the interface in question is DC coupled, otherwise this gets difficult.

VCAs: well, if you want the variable response curve AND need to optimize space, my suggestion would be the new 10hp version of Veils. Those can be shifted from linear response for use with modulation signals, CVs, etc...to the exponential response you need to properly maintain perceptual loudness in audio signals. And anywhere in between, for that matter.

As for the EG, the Zadar isn't a bad choice as long as you get Xaoc's expander for it, and as long as you don't mind some menu-hopping. Next fave is probably Intellijel's Quadrax/Qx combo, then the much bigger Buchla/Tiptop 281t. Maths can also do this, but using a Maths as just an EG is sort of like paying $20+ for a Arturo Fuente Opus X cigar, then smoking it while mowing your lawn. Definitely look through the "function generator" possibilities, too...

That worked for me in the past, so a good practice!

Since I move from a few smaller cases to a DIY monster system, it becomes a bit unpractical though - that´s where that idea came from.

I've got a mantis - when I need to check this I just take 3 copies of the full rack and remove all but the relevant modules for each zone, check etc and then delete after i've plugged stuff in - my mantis doesn't change that much though I mostly use it for video synthesis and I have plenty of other cases (some of which I have to do the same for!)

Thanks for your detailed reply, Jim.

That's interesting to hear your feedback on the Rings tuning issue. I have been messing around in VCV 2 with Rings, but have yet to notice that issue. I presume I am far from utilizing the module to its full potential.

I appreciate your other points regarding the ergonomics and supporting the manufacturer. Basically, I already plan on purchasing Plaits and Beads, but have very limited $ and physical space for a bigger case. The ability to process sound in Rings still seems like a winner.

BTW Do you have a YouTube channel or Instagram related to your modular system? I learn a lot from your posts on the MG forums and would like to support.

Thanks again.
Ian
-- djidmusic1

Thanks Ian...
I have:
instagram - but I don't post much music there - mostly modular video synthesis - same name as here
soundcloud - latest 4 are modular - the rest are pre-modular from years ago mostly reason - same name as here
I'm on the modulargrid best of 2020 on bandcamp - it's one of the 4 modular tunes on soundcloud though

I'm currently working on new music, which I'll release eventually

Jim

Ey, i have one.. build quality is ace!
but have to agree to all the comments on the size, and looking into upgrading to an original one in the long run.
(Choose for the nano to begin with because I had a smaller case and wanted to fit in 'enough' modules)

Further to JimHowell1970's comment above -
After messing with a lot of different methods, I can say that the nw2s:016 is the best tool to get audio into a signal level and format pro-level audio interfaces prefer. If you need multi-channel with the intent to multitrack, don't mess around with multiple stereo modular-to-line level modules (this will always end up costing more than nw2s); and the USB interface and Modular-to-ADAT modules (ie. Expert Sleepers, Birdbrain etc..) on the market right now just don't compare (sound quality, noise floor, sampling rates) to the ADCs inside interfaces from Focusrite, MOTU or Universal Audio.
For live purposes, many mixers can pad down modular levels - but having 16 jacks in your system with the nw2s:016 is so convenient, and connects easily with two DB25 snake cables to your mixer at a perfect line level your mixer will love.

I have a nano Rings, it's not the one from After Later Audio, although mine has the same dimensions and layout.

The obvious difference is the size of the module and the knobs. In my opinion, the knobs are still okay to twist in a live jam to make it sound more or less 'big', achieved by modulating brightness (BRT on the nRings panel) and damp (DMP on the nRings). I do need to mention that my nRings is quite on the right side in my case, which makes it easier to access these controls. It would be more cramped if you put for example a mult or mixer to the right of the nRings, or any other module with a lot of sockets on the outer left of the panel. So some planning in this is advised.

The original Rings (and most clones I guess) are difficult to tune while jamming, as mentioned by Jim. This is because both the frequency and shape knob influence the tuning. There are some blogs/videos online on how to make this process more easy, Lightbath seems to have a good one I believe. I guess tunig is more difficult with the smaller freq/shape knobs. I don't have the original rings to compare, but if you tune it beforehand with some explanation nearby it's not impossible. However if you intend to change the shape while making music with it, go for the original rings.

(off-topic; I once saw a post somewhere with a modified version of the Rings firmware, which sort-of fixes that turning the shape knob makes it go out of tune. Haven't been able to find it since. If someone has a link to it, please let me know!)

Maybe a conflict with an extension

Never seen so many Firefox users!

ho great, thank you for the info

Hello guys, I've spent my spare time to make a collection of spots to stop by on the superb Manis Iteritas from Noise Engineering. A large range of style are explored here, Darkbient, Industrial (of course), Acid, House (sort of), Drone, Techno, EBM...
Français
Salut les Zamis ! J'ai mon temps libre des 15 derniers jours à explorer l'impeccable Manis Iteritas de @Noise Engineering un module d'oscillateur vraiment détonnant. Dans cette vidéo, j'expose certains des spots lmes plus cools où j'ai trainé. On balaie allégrement quelques styles comme le darkbient, l'Industriel (bien entendu), la Techno, l'Acid, la House, l'EBM et autres.
bon voyage !

I’ve been looking at the Intellijel Dual ADSR, Malekko Quad Envelope, and XAOC Zadar for EG. I’m leaning more towards the Zadar or Quad Envelope because of their somewhat smaller sizes and more envelopes. Which one would you prefer personally?

As for VCA’s, what’s your thoughts on the Intellijel Quad VCA and ALM Tangle Quartet?

Curious to know what you use as well.

OK, now Uli's team of design copyists have cranked out (or will soon, I should hope!) something truly astonishing. What this is is a modular oscillator that's based on the tone generation in the Prophet VS. I would figure this is something that spun out of their efforts to create these little Microfreak-ish boxes they've been teasing. This is far more important, though...

First up: pretty much NOBODY without a bushel of ca$h will ever get their hands on a Sequential Prophet VS. Ever. I kid you not.

And secondly, all of the voice oscillators in the VS are "ganged" to the one joystick, so you can't easily impose different vector patterns on each one. This, however, fixes that issue, since the module has its own vector joystick and you can save vector patterns per modules. Think something along the lines of the Korg Wavestations or Yamaha's SY-22 and the TG-33, but sounding a lot beefier...provided they do their homework on the design.

In short, what you have here is a wavetable oscillator that outputs four different signals, and the joystick lets you manually (or under CV) morph between these, then save the vector "path" so that it's reproducible. Definitely NOT a normal VCO.

Drawback: it's Behringer. And since it is, some people will want nothing to do with it. This one might be a gamechanger, though...

And Firefox on Windoze also seems to be unaffected, since I'm able to type this right now.