Thread: Disting Mk4

how do you mean?
remembering what they are? try using fewer algos - favourites help! and/or manual on laptop/tablet/phone
access to knobs? re-arrange case so that there is more space either side...
setting precise values? re-arrange case so that the screen is easier to see... which can be difficult

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Plaits is probably my least favourite mutable module - although I do use it quite a bit - even if it is just for hats... I must spend some more time with it again...

Tides is fantastic though - I have both versions - I especially like the phased mode on the one you have - although both get used in nearly every patch I make - great for both audio and modulation

Marbles - I like it a lot - one thing that helped was increasing the length of the gates so that they were more useful for opening envelopes (as well as just triggering percussion)

When I look at your racks - both versions - I see a serious lack of basic utility modules - these massively help in terms of plumbing... sub-mixers, matrix mixer, mults, logic, rectification etc etc... when extending I'd be tempted to keep the doepfer case too - so you have room to add a lot more of these...

as for flow - I'm guessing you mean workflow here - ie patching things together - as I said above more utilities, which should be distributed throughout - but also I find something along the lines of the layout of the 2600 - from top, left - sound sources, modulation, effects (including filters) and controllers/sequencers and end of chain mixing at the bottom - but this assumes that you actually have the cases arranged as depicted, one on top of the other

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

I can confirm what farkasa says about the BSP - I have one, works perfectly without a midi->cv interface

boom i think you just save me bucks!!

thanks Farkas

Thread: Disting Mk4

Hi- is it just me that has difficulty adjusting parameters on disting?

I'm looking for feedback on my rack and advice as to how to position the modules for a better flow.

I've not really been hitting any pain points, but wondered if another pair of eyes could suggest some improvements.

I've steadily and a little organically built up the below system:

ModularGrid Rack

The top two rows are 6u 84hp doepfer case, which I am considering replacing with a 104hp case in the long term

The bottom two rows are a Pittsburgh modular move 104, this case has a few restrictions, each row has 18 floating nuts and the power from the case itself is limited to about 1.3A, so I'm using the endorphins shuttle to power the bottom row which is also limited to about 1A

I have an Elektron Octatrack providing clock/midi through the shuttle, and the audio goes back out via the Jumble Henge and then the Disting which I often use to record quickly if I hear something I like.

During lockdown I have been using music as a way to escape screens, so I really don't want any PC involved in the setup and only use it occasionally to update modules or reconfigure the shuttle/fx aid, or to play back recordings from the Distings

In the long run, I'm thinking of building towards this:

ModularGrid Rack

I'm not necessarily attached to the new modules in this, although I think I'd still like the crime expander for Miasma when it is released to avoid taking it out of the case to change its tone.

I'm also not entirely getting on with Marbles, Tides and Plaits, I don't dislike them I just find myself not using them very much... although I'm planning to spend some time focusing building patches around each of them to see if I can change that feeling before deciding if I want to remove them, Tides especially I feel could be great if I invest the time to properly learn it.

Any feedback or input would be very welcome

RackBrute 6U: 176 HP - 5 HP power module = 171 HP

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

I have not personally used the Beatstep Pro, but many within this forum swear by it for sequencing. As far as I know, you wouldn't need a Shuttle Control as the BSP has CV I/O for two tracks of melodic sequencing and a bunch of drum triggers, as well as CV and midi I/O for clocking. You could use Pamela's New Workout as your master clock, send a gate to the BSP clock in, and you are all set. All for $300 or less.

Beyond the very good advice of @JimHowell1970, I note your faithful love for House, Techno and Trance music. I would therefore advise you to include at least two types of modules absent from your current selection: a beefy oscillator (Noise Engineering for example offers a few like the Manis Iteritas), or a complex oscillator (like the Furthrrrr Generator). And at least a kick module (like the Tiptop Audio BD909, or more widely an Erica Synths Sample Drum).

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

Rackbrute is 80 hp. A rackbrute 6U has 173 useable hp, I'm not sure that's right.

Cheers Jim.

I dont want to focus to much on the case for now :)
Because i want to built it by myself.

So for now I am looking for a functional eurorack system which i can expand in the future

hey Farkas & Jim
thanks for that...
ill take that on board and do some more research ...

i was also thinking of using a Beat-step pro sequencer instead of getting the black sequencer because it is so large..
but i would need something like a Shuttle Control by Endorphin.es

if you have any experience or vibe on Beat-step pro sequencer or USB-to-MIDI-to-CV converter I'd be happy to hear your opinions...

thanks in advance

BB

kinks - or a clone of, as discontinued

when you get the next case invest in some blank panels - or make some - and spread out a bit - might keep the GAS in check a bit - I know it does mine!

Miscalculated. That leaves 34hp. So Maths, Batumi and 4hp left for...?

There will be another case in my future. I just need for my bank account to recover from the filling of this one!

That Prism actually isn't ordered yet, so I'm thinking all skip that to make some space (32hp then). So what about Maths and then 12hp for something else?

yeah - I'd go for a quad lfo, envelope generator and some more utilities - but then I'd also probably want another row or 2 to put them in 2 many sound sources for me in this size case!

Awesome info. I saw your post many times and have the maths supplement already downloaded.

I'll take a look at tex-mix and the fx aid xl as well. I have no problem getting something bigger now instead of waiting since I know my system will grow.
It's easy to get lost when researching especially when some modules can do multiple things and realizing if it's doing this one thing then can't necessary do the other thing.

Thanks for your insight. Back to the research and reviews.

Mostly done with my first setup. I have all the following already (either installed or on its way). Separately I have Squarp Pyramid for sequencing, Roland SE-02, ASM Hydrasynth, Eowave Quadrantid Swarm, Roland SH-01A and an upcoming Bastl Softpop II. Also a few pedals - GFI Specular Tempus, Walrus Juliana chorus and Earthquaker Devices Plumes. There's 22hp left. I feel like I need more tools for movement/modulation?

ModularGrid Rack

hahhahaaha @sacguy71 - maybe that's a bit big to start with...

this user has left ModularGrid

My advice- get a Doepfer Monster base case and Doepfer 14u Monster case. Thank me later.

NP - what's that case a mantis? - you should be able to carry 3 reasonably easily - 1 on your back and 1 in each hand... at least for shortish distances! hahahaha...

Thanks for the very kind comments. Much appreciated. This is the exact rack I used. Happy to answer any questions.

ModularGrid Rack

I agree completely with farkas...

dump most of the tiny modules and the magneto and the dsp2 - replace the magneto and dsp 2 with a couple of fx aid xls

also think about the mixing - you have no way near enough mixer channels in here to deal with multiple waveforms from the vcos (wavetable has 2 & vco2 has 5) and all the percussion modules (sample drum 2, hat 1 & drum2 1) so that's up to 11 sound source channels - without taking into consideration and parallel processing you might want to do...

you're on the right track with the unity mixer - but no where near enough imo

also a real lack of vcas - use them for modulation as well as audio - I'd want at least 1 quad cascading vca - probably 2 (which may mean you need 1 less sub-mixer)

the euclidean module is a bit pointless - Pams can do euclidean well enough!

is the black sequencer a bit overkill? unless you are planning on case 2 with another 2 plus melodic sources in it I would suggest thinking of something smaller - if you are thinking of adding that second case then the black sequencer is a great idea - you'll be familiar with a sequencer that has you covered for a long time early on - so no second learning curve with a new sequencer down the line

I'd consider going with a tesseract modular tex-mix (reasonably priced and expandable) instead of the cosmix - and some blind panels - and put the money you save towards the next case - then there's no issue with only having a few hp to fill... you'll have lots of space, so can get whatever modules you want no matter the size... at least for a while!
-- JimHowell1970

Nice, you reminded me of the Tex-Mix, thanks, I had that on a list from Mod Wiggler, but had forgotten. As for the idea of leaving the rest empty, I'll definitely think about that, although to a certain extent I'm hoping to be portable (not too big/many cases).

Just for the info, I have an empty (if you can believe it) 104hp case - with power supply etc - which was the first case I bought and built/filled.

I'd consider going with a tesseract modular tex-mix (reasonably priced and expandable) instead of the cosmix - and some blind panels - and put the money you save towards the next case - then there's no issue with only having a few hp to fill... you'll have lots of space, so can get whatever modules you want no matter the size... at least for a while!

okish - some thoughts:

needs more utilities to get the most out of the 'expensive shiny modules'

more mixers - a simple cheapish mixer would add the ability to mix 2 vcos (or in the case of the doepfer 2 or more waveforms) before hitting a filter

attenuators - always useful and inexpensive

another modulation source is a great idea - to complement maths - which is fantastic but really should be seen as maths - see 'maths illustrated supplement' - it's a great jumping of point and learning tool for patch-programming and patching in general - but another modulation source would add a lot - especially when combined with a matrix mixer

possibly also an envelope generator - an adsr if you want to sound like a keyboard - or something less complex if you're not so bothered

end of chain mixer - it might be a better idea to get a bigger one now (so you are not selling this one to get a bigger one in the future) - there are also expandable mixers - at the lower end of the market - tesseract tex-mix is good value for money - nb sidechaining/ducking can be easily patched by mixing the envelope of the sound source you want to duck and an inverted copy of the envelope of the sound source you want to sidechain and then use that into the cv input of the vca you're sending your

I'd go for the fx aid xl over the milky way - it's more versatile

for the utilities - doepfer is a great brand - inexpensive and reliable - also really good for other things like classic filter designs and vcos etc

if you are already thinking larger - go larger now - you will save money on cases - I'd definitely recommend the tiptop mantis - probably best bang for buck starter case (hp/cost/quality of power/reputation of manufacturer) - or it you are building a case - the befaco excalibus power supply is very good...

this will allow you to get bigger modules - a lot of the modules you have in the current rack are very small and especially when placed next to each other will be very cramped/possibly unplayable - some of them are only just over 1cm wide and when patched may not have access to the trimmers - which can also be difficult to use/not very precise compared to full size knobs

I would choose between either midi control or a sequencer in a starter case - if you choose sequencer - you'll almost definitely want a 2 channel quantizer with the sequencer you have chosen - if you actually want to play notes

nb you'll probably also want a tuner - either on your phone or a pedal - to tune the vco

I'd also recommend more attenuators - clouds (uBurst) - really needs these - likes very small amounts of modulation

I'd also recommend more vcas - use them for modulation

probably a good idea to plan to get another modulation source asap too

Hello everyone,

I’m getting into modular and need some feedback on a basic rack for now. I’ve done a lot of reading and looking at feedback from the experts so I hope I’m on the right track. I tried to get utilities and VCAs. :D

For the case I recently acquired an A-100 P9 and A-100 PB for a good deal. That “should” give me some room to grow. I’ve only planned out on the P9 for now.

My music is honestly anything and everything. But to narrow down, I’ve always listened to House, Techno, Trance, and the like since I was a kid. I’m also learning guitar, specifically blues and delta blues, so incorporating guitar in the future is possible.

For gear I already have a Minitaur, Micromonsta 2, Werkstatt with CV, Micro Granny, and Microfreak. I do want to incorporate those in the future. While I do want my modular to be all encompassing, I have some gear now that works well so why not utilize those.

Sequencing will be done with my OXI One when it gets here, I also have a Keystep that I could use in the mean time.

For recording it will be done via either my Zoom H6 or, preferably, Ableton. From there I can add effects etc. until I get modules for that role down the line minus the one that is in the 3rd row.

My big thing with modular is I don’t necessarily want to get the same thing everyone else has which has lead me away from big self contained syths. However, I realize some modules, Maths, Plaits, etc. are popular for a reason.

For my rack, the first row is what I’ve come up with with the second row as alternatives to a few modules. Modules are somewhat based on price unless a module does many functions for the cost. The last row is for future purchases for ableton and a disting for extra functionality.

Let me know what you guys think.

Oh and I plan on getting all the Buchla TipTop modules because…well Buchla.

ModularGrid Rack

Hello

This Modular is my first one. All modules should also find use in a future larger modular.

What do you think about the composition?

Are the Mix and Multi modules a good choice or would something else be a better idea? Like for example another VCA?

I will also get a Behringer Crave, so I have an extra ossillator and other helpful possibilities to patch

cheers
dolli125

Had some recent fine transactions with :

@zeitkunst
@jomusique
@Jihel
@x2mirko

Hi joesh. What exactly are you hoping to accomplish? What sort of music are you making? Do you have any other external gear?
-- farkas

Yes, sorry I forgot to say - off screen - there's a Deluge for triggering and sequencing, a Pittsburgh Mod SV-1b, a 0-Coast and also a DS Rev2 which I can trigger via midi using the Deluge.

As to what do I hope to accomplish, the answer is 'I don't know'. Everything I do tends to be improvised, I guess a little along the lines of someone like Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe (if that doesn't sound to pretentious on my part) who just plugs in and works something out and hopes to mould and sculpt it into a piece with form. As for what does it sound like, here's a Soundcloud link if you fancy having a listen: https://soundcloud.com/joehigham

Hi joesh. What exactly are you hoping to accomplish? What sort of music are you making? Do you have any other external gear?

This looks very similar to the FSS Makrow, which I have used upside down in the past. Just flip it and it will be fine.

How can the jacks be on the bottom on this?!?!

I think I would postpone the Magneto for now to recover some space to get rid of all the 2hp modules. You will probably hate trying to patch and tweak all of those little ones. In my experience, tiny modules should be used very sparingly to fill a gap here and there. You could get something like an FX Aid XL or an external tape delay pedal to use that space for other modules that you are going to want and need. The Magneto might be a good addition to a second Mantis case, but I think it's taking up too much space for now. In fact, you could get 2 FX Aids, and eliminate the Magneto and Erica Black Hole DSP and have even more room without losing much of the sound and fun of those hp hungry effect modules.
Just some thoughts I have as I look over this. Have fun and good luck!

Hi Peeps,

i need some feedback on what I'm looking at for a new/future build.

all will be going into a Mantis case (2 rows of 104)
I'm i trying to cover to many corners ..??
should i be winding back on some modules..?
replace some with others...

opinions... of any kind welcome..

music i make ... from ambient to weird shit... to break-beats to D&B even a bit of techno on the weird side...

thanks in advance.

p.s mods not in row order yet..

my rack
ModularGrid Rack

please post a link to the actual rack - copy and paste the url
-- JimHowell1970

Sorry Jim, I posted the jpg link without looking.

please post a link to the actual rack - copy and paste the url

I'm scratching my head as to how best fill the last 40hp - yes that seems a lot, but ....

Firstly, as you'll see in my rack I'm struggling with the end of chain, so I have (in my opinion) no choice but to add a mixer, and as you'll notice (bottom right) I'm planning in the next days to take the plunge and add what seems like the best option price/space/ins/outs/etc with the Cosmix. However, that still leaves 24hp.

So, as you'll see I've added a Soundforce Dual Filter, a VCA, and a Disting EX as a possibility. I'd be interested to know if people have some other 'combinations' they'd like to suggest for the 24hp? I've never had a Distings EX, but I thought this could be (like the Ornament and Crime, Temps Utile or the Twin Waves) a sort of Swiss Army Knife and a really good addition to the rack in a small space. It will provide me with many possibilities such as filters, VCAs, a sample player (very useful), etc. Maybe others will disagree, and have alternative suggestions I hope?

As for the final two pieces (everything is on the bottom right), you'll see that I went for the option of the Dual Filter (because it has plenty of possibilities, and I enjoyed DivKids video), and the MRG VCA is just there, because at the time I was doing this I thought another VCA might be useful.

So, I'd love some help in trying to find a good and useful combination to compliment the rest of my rack - which i'm pretty happy with - changes can always be made, as we all know.

Here's my rack for you to get a better idea visually of what I'm talking about (all the modules I mention are on the bottom right):
ModularGrid Rack

Thanks in advance.

This may or may not be helpful, but Rob Papen has a very good book called "The 4 Element Synth". It lays out the basic building blocks of all synths and how they interact normally.

Additionally, you could get a demo or paid version of any of a range of software modular synths. U-He Bazille is interesting, for example, and isn't as hindered by latency and GUI issues as some others. If you spend some time with Bazille, open one instance with a preset patch, open a 2nd instance and re-create that preset patch, that will show you a LOT about how to make modular patches.

More generally, if you're not much experienced with synthesis, spending some time listening to and goofing around with software synths (demos or paid) is a good way to get some basic fluency.

Last, it should be emphasized, modular synthesis is by nature very exploratory.

Thanks for the reply, @Lugia. That totally makes sense with audio going through an exponential VCA! I hadn't thought of it that way before, but that's exactly what the signal flow is like on most non-modular subtractive synths: no attenuator on the final audio VCA, just the final output volume level after that.

You're welcome, @ascrawa! I'm glad you found some of that helpful. =]

-Chace

System X Envelope from Frequency Central. A straightforward kit and a straightforward envelope, easy to build and use.
This video is my first after figuring out picture-in-picture oscilloscope traces during demo, which is nice.
System X build

Thread: Starter kit

Hi Peter...

a well worn route is

a sound source, a sound modifier, a modulation source, a way to play and a way to listen...

sound source get something that's a decent size - remember it will need to be tuned - plaits is often seen as a good starter
sound modifier - either a filter or possibly a multi-effect like fx aid xl
modulation source - can't go wrong with maths - see the 'maths illustrated supplement' as a to why - it's a great jumping off point for learning patch-programming (a powerful technique in modular synthesis) and patching in general
a way to play - straight into your mixer - if you get clipping - insert some passive attenuators - they'll always be useful...
a way to play - midi->cv interface if that's what you want...

I'd also add a starter set of utilities - I usually recommend: links, kinks, shades and veils - or modules that cover the same functionality - kinks is discontinued, but there's at least one clone available, happy nerding 3*mia is a good substitute for shades

vcv rack's a great place to start...

have fun!

Nice work @TumeniKnobs. Question: which rack did you make this with? I'm curious about a few different points.

Thanks @Exposure, and yes that's the Salmple on drums. It's sequenced by the micro Grids with the accent out hitting an envelope to give it a little more oopmh.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply. It's very instructive. I did consider the 1cm limitation of 2hp. The buttons won't be very helpful, indeed. But since the notes will be coming from the Torso, I don't really mind.

Aside from that, yeah, you're right. There's several pieces missing. The stereo mixer just isn't a good match for a mono system. When in my home studio, I can plug it all into an audio interface and add stereo imaging any way I want to anyway. And you're right - the VCO-filter-effects flow needs a lot of work. I'm playing around with VCV Rack as we speak to learn more about that.

As for the Mantis - I like the suggestion. In the home studio, I have another 3U space for another 84HP for extension. I was considering the ES9 and some stuff I may not always want on the road for that. I built my own racks with that in mind. But I'll reconsider, because I read a lot of positive stuff about the Mantis.

And I have noticed it's probably a good idea to start off with 1 voice and to really understand what combinations and patchings are possible, before upgrading to several more.

Peter.

Modular playlist on SoundCloud

Hi all,
I've had some exposure to analog synths (1980s-90s), trackers with samples (90s), then took a break and restarted a year ago with a wavetable synth (Argon8x) and several soft synths in Logic (e.g. Sculpture). Because most of this was slow, plodding development of tunes in a DAW or other editor, I'm looking to break it all open and enjoy the unbridled live madness of modular.

I've added a bunch of 2HP oscillators because they take little space, yet seem quite capable. For noise, I went with something a little more flexible. Then there's LFO/EG and some effects. Finally, the Erica Black stereo mixer with PFL so I can hear first, then mix in. Planning on getting some patch-through cables to split the signal into stereo for the mixer.

Hi Arrandan,

have you ever seen an actual eurorack module? you do know that 1hp = 1/5" - 2hp is tiny and the trimmers that they use are not very precise - tuning can be a pain because of this

also putting them next to each other will make them practically unusable...

I'm planning to use this setup with a Torso T-1. I thought I'd need the Bastl 1983 for that, but it seems there's more CV connectivity than I thought. So I guess that one can go. Saves me a pretty penny and 7HP.

I'd like to use this mounted into my racks in my home studio, yet take it out into a portable box when playing elsewhere. Is that doable?

theoretically - but I wouldn't start like that - I'd start with a mantis - yeah it's more expensive - but it will give you the ability to expand and it has significantly better power supply than the b-company - and won't fit in your 19" rack... but it is portable and is probably the best case for starters (hp/cost/quality of power/reputable company)

otherwise you'll be buying more racks in the near future as you realize that you need more modules to do anything interesting and have replaced your 2hp vcos with modules that you can actually play and enjoy using

I wanted to add the JPG here, but it seems like ModularGrid updates that infrequently. So here's the link straight to the rack config.

StarterKit on ModularGrid
-- Arrandan

good you didn't - they're crap for getting help - the link is 1000* better!

ok so you have 3 vcos, but nothing to mix them before hitting the 2 filters - it's kind of a typical subtractive synth concept to mix the 2 identical ones (slightly detuned) - needs a sub-mixer...

all your sound sources and sound modifiers are mono, but your end of chain mixer is expecting stereo inputs - needs a way of panning mono into a stereo field...

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you go and buy this I think you will be seriously disappointed with what you can do with it - at least without buying quite a few more modules & more rack space

I suggest doing a lot more research into modular synthesis - read a good 10-20 newbie threads, of which there are a lot here and then create a new rack which might actually work....

there's a couple of hints in my signature...

Thread: vein fix

Thank you for your kind words. There is more to come, this year.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I'll definitely take into consideration your suggestions, and perhaps I can hold off Arbhar for now (that may come in my next eurorack case or if I upgrade to something bigger down the road).

With Plaits and Rings (and with my external Moogs which I can patch into Hyrlo) it seems I will have more than enough sound sources to work with.

I'll plan out my next purchases and will likely come back again in the future if I have any other questions. Thanks again everyone!