Hi Sacguy71,

2022 is like every year, it got 12 months. Each month has on average about 30 days, each day has 24 hours, each hour has 60 minutes and each minute has 60 seconds. How the $&^#&@ are you going the entire 2022 not to buy any cool synthesizer or modules? ;-)

Just kidding but I admire your spirit, perhaps I should do that as well. Not one year, I would never withstand that, rather one month or so ;-) Have fun with your existing nice and great equipment and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Thanks very much for your detailed reply, Jim. Lumen looks like a very interesting prospect for a beginner like me. Also, love that trick with the feedback loop - will have to try that!

Once again, thanks for the feedback.

ModularGrid Rack

Hello all,

The case above is currently 50% complete. The top row is what I own, the bottom row is what I would like to get next. With the top row I can get some cool patches going, but it feels pretty linear and I want to expand my possibilities. I've typically been using my subharmonicon and mother 32 as additional sound sources and mixing them in with Hyrlo, but I'd like to start filling up that second row now. I'm looking for some advice on where I go from here.

I had initially set out to create a rack that could be used for generative ambient music, but I understand that since I only have 6u 84hp to work with, it wouldn't really have enough room to shine and be a true generative system. I'm okay with that and am happy with it just being used for ambient / experimental rather than something truly generative.

I want to add Rings because I just love how it sounds and I think it would pair well with Plaits. I think I'll be okay with the smaller form factor since I typically set things and just let it run. I've had my eye on Arbhar as the 3rd and final sound source for a while now. The cost of it is really the only reason I don't have it yet. It'd be cool to mix in some real instruments and let Abhar work its magic on them.

I'm pretty much 100% set on data bender. It just suits my style and I think I'd enjoy having it as another effect.

I'm thinking PNW would be good since I'd like to have another module to use as the main clock or rhythm generator, plus some LFOs since I don't have any modulation yet. Then finally I added Links because I have no mults and sometimes I want to duplicate CV.

Assuming these 5 modules are a good fit, I'm thinking I still might need some more attenuation, another filter maybe, and perhaps another LFO for more modulation? I'd have 32hp of space remaining. What do y'all think?

I've owned this mixer for about 4 or 5 months now. I love it. It's the smallest mixer I could find with an Aux send, which is critical for mixers IMO.

The output is stereo, so you may need a small TRS --> L/R breakout cable. This may seem odd at first, but there are two advantages I can think of:
1. It's a smaller footprint.
2. I can just use normal 3.5mm (1/8th inch) headphones right out of the box. Cool!

I love the fact that L/R knobs are dented. More manufacturers should use dented knobs so I can "feel" where 0 is.

I love the fact that it's setting me up for 3 channels in, and (4) is an L/R stereo return (with feedback!). Really clutch.

The only small points of improvement I could possibly think of are:
1. Do the inputs have +3db of gain? If so, where on the LVL knobs is there "0db" gain? I know -infinity is all the way counter-clockwise, but is there a 0db point? If they do add some gain, I would like to know where the 0 is. And if they have a "0db" gain, it would be rad if they were dented like the L/R PAN's.

1. It would be nice if the LEDs for the unmuted state were by default "off", instead of on. I would like it if they were lit up only if muted. that's just my personal preference.

For the size, I think we hit the sweet spot here. It's always a joy to connect my end-of-chain audio inputs into this mixer. It fits my needs on my 2-row 104HP mantis case perfectly, and I think it's worth your consideration.

Well done!

Decided to give it a go myself. I tried to keep as many of your original modules in it as I could. It actually looks quite similar to one of my own cases, so some of my own preferences and approaches show through. That certainly doesn't mean that my choices are "right" or "optimal", and probably means that you would (and should) make your own further edits to it to fit what you want it to do and how you want to use it. It's just a layout to consider. Lugia and Jim, and anyone else, feel free to critique it too. I'm curious to hear what you think of this particular build as well. Feel free to ask about any of the particular choices I made. If I decided to come back to it later I would probably end up making some changes myself. I hope this helps in some way!

ModularGrid Rack

The depth is certainly not 803 mm. What's the correct depth? 83 mm?

Thanks Jim!

Still sliding through a learning curve here. I’ve posted the link to the set up below%. Regarding the interface faux pas. I’ve been using a focusrite 2i2 for effects pedals and assorted things. Thanks for the case advice by the way.

ModularGrid Rack

Thanks Jim!

Still sliding through a learning curve here. I’ve posted the link to the set up below%. Regarding the interface faux pas. I’ve been using a focusrite 2i2 for effects pedals and assorted things. Thanks for the case advice by the way.

ModularGrid Rack

Hello @ascrawa,

In the case that you might not already be aware of this, I thought I'd mention that the Westlicht PER|FORMER is offered as a DIY build only, not as a complete module from Westlicht. In addition, it is only offered as a bare PCB and faceplate - I haven't seen it sold as a complete kit anywhere (in other words, you would have to source all of your own components). I don't know if you have any previous soldering or electronics experience, but it is stated as being a project for experienced builders: the PCB appears to require a hefty amount of surface-mount soldering, which is something that I personally don't feel ready to attempt even after completing about 10 through-hole DIY module projects of my own. Of course, you can buy one built by a third-party individual, but I would be strongly hesitant to do that personally, unless the builder has proven themselves to be absolutely capable.

As far as thoughts on the rack build you've presented, I agree with a lot of what @Lugia and @JimHowell1970 have already mentioned above. Some specific suggestions/thoughts I have on it are:

1. I would at least halve the number of sound sources in the rack. For one this size I would shoot for a total of four or less voices.
  2. Rainmaker is a huge module. I would only put it in a rack this size if you have only one or two voices that the rack is being built around, with Rainmaker being planned as a major component of one or both of those voices. Removing Rainmaker would free up a lot of room for other things (see below).
  3. If you go with four or less voices, and as an alternative to the PER|FORMER, I would recommend Erica Synths Black Sequencer. In my opinion, it is one of the most feature rich and user-friendly "in-rack" sequencers available for Eurorack. The firmware is still being refined, but it is already an excellent and highly capable module.
  4. I'd add at least one more filter. Though, it all depends on what types of voices and sounds you ultimately decide to go for.
  5. I would add quite a lot more dedicated modulation sources. I'm not a big fan of multi-function modules like Ornament & Crime and Disting. I find it more satisfying and usable to have a user layout designed around a specific function, rather than having a generic/minimal layout trying to cater to many possible functions. That is just my personal preference though. And it is always important to remember that you'll only be able to use a limited number of those possible functions at any given time (one, in most cases, as far as I understand).

I see those as some starting points for a revision of the rack, but certainly not a final or comprehensive set of suggestions. You'll find that there will be further refinements to make as you change things up, especially in the utility module department.

I hope you find some of that useful!
-Chace

Also, be patient and set the level quiet. Drone is really "powerful" as its moving energy constantly, and magic starts happening after a while, dont fatigue your consciousness, and use it as a life enhancer that can be done for long periods of time.

As for gear, use filters and EQs, so when particular bands of frequencies stars to clash you can start carving. Don't be afraid of cutting low end, nor high ends. Let pass only what is "beautiful", instead of boosting.

The base tone is the 1rst and most important decision for a patch, since changing it shifts the state that the drone archives.
2 Oscillators ar "minimum" (not really), one for the base, and a 2nd one for color. which can be tuned to 1 octave highers, or a 5th, or a mayor/mir 3rd or whatever you like. My favourite is to tune the 2nd oscillator to a major 11th higher, which is a major 3rds but 1 octave higher.
Filter those oscillators until you find a sweetspot.
Then Modulate: slow modulation for movement you can hear. Slower kodulaton for "structure" so that the sound travels through many states and the drone does not become boring after a short time.
If the filter movements reduce of amplify the perceived level, accompany them by the same LFO modulating the level so it remain "even". The best drone is always changing in quality but remaining almost "flat" in the amount of energy.
Use attenuators everywhere to archive the sweet spot.

Reverbs are key, but use them wisely. All reverbs have a "decay" limit in which they start to "self oscillate" or become "infinite". Look for that sweet spot which tends to be just  a little before that and then fine tune it to the sounds that is happening in the moment. Twik all the knobs in the reverb until you found the sweet spot. Don't go above that because the drone will be taken over ry the reverb´s feedback. (delays may be similar)

Once you have something you enjoy, leave it on and go do some other activity in the house while you hear the drone, it "should" enhance those activities, you can hear is passively, but you may hear things to keep micro tunning the system.

Once the drone is done, consider adding other sounds on top: Melodys (generative or pre programmed) sound "FX" (waves, wind, etc) or anything you like. Make this extras enter and leave gradually with really slow LFO`s if they are on for a lot of time, the whole sound can become too intrusive, make the drone be alone for the most, and have everything else be sparse.

I will repeat this: don't be afraid to filter a lot, more than what you are supposed to. Mix for what you are hearing and feeling in the moment.

In this video I tried to demonstrate how you could use the Doepfer A-196 as a pitch tracker on a human voice. It works. Not perfect. At the end (4:52) it tracks good enough.

Thank you for your time in replying to my post!
I will put more time in researching a more efficient arrangement, incorporating all your suggestions.
Happy patching!

I've got a couple of the god's box lollipops - DIY - and work fine for me when I need compression - usually use one on the portland (drum synth) as that's mono to fatten it up a bit...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

ok I had a quick look at your jpg - urgh

@Lugia is 100% correct

too many sound sources, not enough sound processors, not enough modulation sources (or envelopes) - performer looks like it outputs gates - which are on/off envelopes generally used to open and determine the length of more complex envelopes, and definitely not enough utilities

look at the formula in my signature - it is the best way to get a balanced modular that offers the most versatility for the least expense

you have 7-9 sound sources, 3 sound modifiers etc etc

only 1 envelope and a fucking huge delay which takes up 1/2 a row nearly...

have a serious think about your mixing solutions including the i/o module

on the upper row - plaits is dual mono, as is the twin waves, rings is stereo ish, morphagene is stereo going into a wasp (mono) and a huge delay (stereo) and your have only an stmix to mix on that is 4 stereo ins + a stereo aux for the drum mixer - no panning of mono sound sources and no send/return - unless you count the vca - which isn't particularly useful for stereo mixing - and then you have no vcas for cv - not really up to the job

on the lower row - peaks (if used for drums) is dual mono, plonk is mono and you also have sample drum (not sure as no click through but probably mono) and fx aid which is stereo - again no panning or send/return for the mixer

and where are you getting a peaks from - used or cloned? as it's been discontinued for at least 3 years! everyhting else is at least kind of available - in production - but pandemic is fucking that up quite a bit still and for at least the next year!

on top of that there's no sub mixers to allow you to patch multiple sound sources to the same filter or combine modulation sources (a matrix mixer is good for this!!!)

and that's just scratching the surface of how flawed this rack is - nothing that really leverages the important reasons to go into modular - logic, sequential switches, wave shapers/folders/multipliers, ring mods, etc etc the list goes on

IMO it's a really boring use of 252hp - buy these modules and you'll either grow bored and think modular is shit and sell it - or end up having to buy a second case in 3 months - when you realise that @Lugia and I are correct and you really need the extra utilities to get this to actually function as you hoped it would

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

That is an interesting one @nickgreenberg, thanks for sharing! And @GarfieldModular thanks for the Waldorf review :)

looks fine to me - you won't hurt anything - it's all just electricity - self-patching is encouraged

Hi! Thank you for your feedback.
I understand the general meaning of having more “helper” modules.
A bit of explaining on how the rack was conceived is required…
As I said, I was planning to have many sound sources that can give me choice and a drum section that is mostly sample based.
About workflow and patching: The main sequencer will trigger the oscillators, many of which doesn’t necessarily require an envelope (plaits, rings), then they can go into the vca and be summed or directly into an fx module and straight into the mixer. Drums have their own mixer that is sent in the main mixer, and they are sequenced either by the per|former or pams. Pretty straightforward to me.
Now, about modulation…
When you say that envelopes are only generated by peaks for a 3 oscillator 6U 126 hp it sounds really like poor design. But that’s not true, the system has plenty of envelope and lfos, that can be generated by the sequncers (per|former and Pam) and don’t forget about Maths, disting, uO_C. (Attenuation is provided by both ends, sending and receiving module)
The funny thing is that I didn’t plan to use peaks as modulation source!

Your argument is still valid, I think the system can get rid of a voice or more and incorporate more CV mangling options, and of course one more VCA.
Do you have some go-to module to suggest?

Thanks

I have recently started to get my feet wet with feedback patching for soundscapes. I got some really good results by using the a monitoring out of the tex master back to a tex channel which has been a good experience. It's controllable and you can shape the sound with the effects and filter in the feedback path.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/patches/view/89161

Now to my question: 'Can I patch this modular grid sketch up. or Will feeding back Audio Rate Modulation to the same Oscillator from where It came hurt something? I plan to patch the A*B+C in the mix to be able to attenuate the Modulation.

thanks - glad you liked them!!

it's mostly lzx industries analog video synthesizer modules... and others, mostly DIY (syntonie, reverselandfill, fox, visual signals) that use the same paradigm - I also really like using Doepfer wavefolders - and sometimes filters - it's all electricity - but audio modules, using slower ICs (opamps etc) usually add pleasant smears

I also use an application called Lumen (only mac - windows is in the pipeline - but it has been for year) that's a virtual analog video synthesizer - which is also really handy for sending video to the video synthesizer - as it can do full screen on an external monitor - which I then feed to the video synthesizer

I've also recently got a used edirol v4 video mixer - which is really handy... adds some nice effects - and once I can find my rca splitter I can send a copy of the lumen output and mix it back in to the lzx system

for starters Lumen is a really good place to start (if you have a mac) - I started out with Processsing3, though - which is a java scripting environment for visuals - tailored to artists - and then a slightly more complicated version called PraxisLive (which is audio and video - & has some visual programming stuff in it - drag and drop components etc)

I need to fix my 12year old macbook - or get the 5 year old one back from my daughter - so I can use those as a feed into Lumen now that Syphon is no longer supported

another great way to get started is to just point a video camera at a tv (crt preferably or projection onto a screen) and plug the video camera into the same tv - so that you create a feedback loop - which is another technique I've used from time to time... and then move something - like your hand - in between them (or the tv or the camera) - then add a mixer and add in stuff from VCRs/DVDs etc

Just moved everything into a Doepfer Monster. First track since I'm up and running.

https://dspkills.bandcamp.com/track/blanche-on-a-staircase

Nice!
-- adaris

Thanks!

Great visuals, Jim! Enjoyed checking them out. Were the images generated with a module, or a program in the box? As a complete beginner, would you recommend any software or modules to get started with?

All the best

it's not that marbles and black sequencer make each other superfluous - they just take up too much space together in this size case!! I've got both and a other sequencers besides (sinfonion, step fader, peaks, beatstep pro, pico seq plus some I'm probably forgetting - ah yes stages!) but I have much more rackspace - one or the other in this size case - personally I'd go black sequencer - if you want random - hit magic!!! and I truly love my Marbles

I know all about stages - I've had one since the 2nd batch - it's a great module - but it's also good to have different modulation sources - I usually recommend maths as a first modulation source - mostly because of the fantastic 'maths illustrated supplement' - which is a great introduction and jumping off point for patch programming - an incredibly powerful modular synthesis technique... working through and building on the examples given in the supplement gives a great introduction to modular synthesis - rather than just patching some modules together (what I call 'synthesis with modules' - as opposed to 'modular synthesis')

you probably don't need both the rcd and scm - I'd go divider and start with a faster clock - and probably add the expander for the rcd instead - which brings me to how are you intending to clock this??? where is master clock coming from?

not convinced that triple sloths and wobblebug are both needed in a case this size - I have both (well an erica swamp, which is a derivation of wobblebug) but I have about 7 times the rack space

decent start with utilities - but not much in the way of basic plumbing - I'd want more mixing at least - sub mixers and a matrix mixer would be good - that way you can reduce the number of your modulation sources and get more interesting modulation via matrix mixer - and you probably will find you need a lot more in the way of attenuators - really useful for controlling level of modulation

probably don't need the doepfer buffered mult and links - buffered mults are only really needed for pitch and you don't really have enough pitch outputs/inputs to justify both at the moment - remember the middle section of links can be a buffered mult too - I'd get some stackcables or headphone splitters for passive mults too - one caveat to this is if you are trying to use maths with a module that has a non-buffered input - sometimes it can stop working because of this - but only a problem that needs to be solved if and when it arises - I only have a couple of modules that this happens with and they are video modules

I'd also consider dumping the cursible - not enough modules to warrant it at the moment imo - and the bastl 'drone'mixer, again at the moment - bring them back in in the next case perhaps...

have you actually used an eurorack modular before? do you know how small the modules actually are? especially looking at the mutable clones here - the originals have good ergonomics - but the micro clones don't...

I'd dump the output (quite possibly not needed - & if you're going to get one get a better one from a company with a better reputation) and at least one (possibly both) of the mutes and the quad vca - replace with veils (saves 2hp) and get a better end of channel mixer (possibly with mutes included and based on feedback below)... how are you intending to listen to this?

I'd also think about mono/stereo mixing in here - go through working out what sound sources and modifiers are mono or stereo and how you are going to mix these both separately and together

erbe-verbe is huge and is mono input/stereo output - great module - but maybe not suited to a case this size!

hope this helps...

I very much value both of your inputs!

I have the pachinko/ marbles as an alternative to (Turing machine with extension into a quantizer)
I know that the black sequencer provides for much/ all basic sequencing, but I'm not sure if it fully makes the marbles superfluous?

The idea behind the two stages was to have them provide all of my lfos adsrs,or slopes not provided by the black sequencer. It also works for clock division and sample and hold.

I have no idea how many times I've typed this today - seems a lot though

JPGs are next to useless - please help us help you by linking to your public rack - copy and paste the url!!!

not to worry I've done it for you:

ModularGrid Rack

I like the aesthetics (nb spelling mistake on yr shop page) - ie not quite perfect... they're pretty cool but I don't really see much advantage over velcro/cable ties, especially given the price (which while not unreasonable, is way more expensive than velcro/cable ties) - which is probably what I'd use if I were playing live

good luck with selling loads though!

Hello,

This rack was designed around the intent to make slowly morphing, reverberated drone music. I will be augmenting and using my eurorack with a behringer neutron synth, an ASM hydrasynth, two hungry robot external modules (clockable LFO and buffered mults), a touch based noise synthesizer from Gen Thalz, a field kit & field kit fx from KOMA electronics, various guitar pedals, and a plethora of various synth/cv tools from Michael Rucci at handbuiltelectronicinstruments.com.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1432529.jpg

I possess 12 of these modules already. I aim to make a dynamic cloud of shaped, slowly morphing sound, obscured by slight noise. I aim to make the cloud’s emotional, timbral range to range from stable, gorgeous serenity to cataclysmic, noise-laden, unstable dread.

Thank you for your time.

standard audio interface.

there's no such thing

Being new to this world, I’m hoping you all can take a look at my idea and see if there are any critical elements I’m missing to make this a solid beginner kit… feel free to be blunt and offer other ideas for cost effective alternatives…and thanks.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1836597.jpg

-- brownbureau

other than start with a decent sized case - Mantis is best starter case - hp/cost/quality of power /manufacturer reputation - small case = new case very soon = more expensive

no more advice until you post a link to an actual public rack - jpgs are shit - there are 7k modules and with no click through it's frustratingly difficult to follow - so please help us help you and post the link!!!!

copy and paste url of public rack

Hello everyone, spammy post alert but as I’ve become a fellow Modular Grid addict over the past year or so I think this maybe of interest. I’m delighted to announce a little collaboration with Geert Bevin. They are called Cable Portals and they essentially act as cable tidys for your unruly patch cables. They are designed specifically for this purpose and can take around 20 cables max. They create pathways for your cables and keep them from obscuring vital controls.

You can find them at https://shop.uwyn.com/collections/frontpage/products/cable-portal-eurorack-cable-router

I’m genuinely curious to see what everyone thinks about them. Whether they are a decent problem solver or do you think them unnecessary?

Very keen to hear your opinions

Thanks

Gaz

No problem - I'm glad you appreciate my thoughts!

as for video - you can check out mine here: https://www.instagram.com/jimhowell1970/

not that they're anything like modular synth demo videos... but they are created (mostly) using a modular!

+1 on what @Lugia says

see my signature for some useful guidance

I'm as usual - mostly - in agreement with @Lugia on this...

Mutable Instruments modules have good ergonomics - the clones trend away from this - and I like good ergonomics - eurorack modules are small enough already, don't make them harder to play with than they already are!

I do see the pico quant as superfluous in the satellite case though - black sequencer already provides quantization - any external quantization other than something (and there is nothing) like the sinfonion - which will give you chord progression sequencing and quantize (up to 4 sequences to those) is pointless imo...

this user has left ModularGrid

Well I have kept to my no gear 2022 pledge on Elektronauts and focus on learning what I have now. I will wait for video demos and good reviews of the new Buchla Tiptop modules once they are out and have been reviewed heavily.

Another suggestion, more limited, would be Frequency Central's Stasis Leak. Reverb, chorus, tap delay in 6 hp.
-- Lugia

Plus one for the stasis leak. The ability to use a "real" external reverb tank (I have a few from old Fender amps) is nice, and the digital units you can add provide small, medium, and large space reverb which is also very handy. And yes, I did a build and demo video on this for any DIY'ers who might be interested.
Stasis Leak Build

Can this be done with the Doepfer A-138o? I have only used it as an aux for modules in the past.
-- isolatediguana

I don't know if the A-138o (with the A-138p) has sufficient gain for external return. Doepfer's documentation is not very clear on this point. I suspect something like the A-119 Ext. In is needed.

I just ordered a Versio as well (Melotus, but I plan to flash Desmodus and Electus to try them out) but for more intrusive or modulated effects. If I want a quality blackhole or shimmer, I will still go to an external pedal.

@Ronin1973: ‘great initiative... pass of the ball...’
@Broken-Form: ‘perfect interception... and... gooal!!!’
‘Wow! Great! The ModularGrid team has a wonderful collective game tonight!’
(More seriously, @Ronin1973, @Broken-Form, I’ll humbly try it too on my side :))
-- Sweelinck

Haha
I cant try it out untill monday.let us know how it turns out

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

Hello wizards. I’m looking to jump into building a little setup that will primarily be used for ambient noodling with samples thrown in. I have a microcosm, a few friendly stereo effects pedals, volca drum and Crave to play with outside. I also have a 8 channel mixer and standard audio interface.

Being new to this world, I’m hoping you all can take a look at my idea and see if there are any critical elements I’m missing to make this a solid beginner kit… feel free to be blunt and offer other ideas for cost effective alternatives…and thanks.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1836597.jpg

Hi everyone, hope you'll enjoy this meeting between buchlaesque timbres and mutable's granular synthesis
Cheers

I think Desmodus Versio is that dimension? I have this module but flashed the firmware to something else. Personally found it too wild, but maybe it will work well for you
-- kiunthmo

I cross-posted this to Reddit and the consensus was largely Desmodus Versio. I ordered one and we'll see how it goes.

I think Desmodus Versio is that dimension? I have this module but flashed the firmware to something else. Personally found it too wild, but maybe it will work well for you

Perhaps a send/return module like the knob.farm Ferry (4hp, $140) and a really good external pedal? If reverb is really important to you, I don't think in-rack effects match the quality of external ones yet, with the possible exception of the Strymon modules. If you have anything besides modular that you might also want to use effects with (other fixed-architecture synths, guitar, etc.) that tips the balance further.
-- plragde

Can this be done with the Doepfer A-138o? I have only used it as an aux for modules in the past.

@Ronin1973: ‘great initiative... pass of the ball...’
@Broken-Form: ‘perfect interception... and... gooal!!!’
‘Wow! Great! The ModularGrid team has a wonderful collective game tonight!’
(More seriously, @Ronin1973, @Broken-Form, I’ll humbly try it too on my side :))

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

I think one possibility not discussed is mixing.

Think of an oscillator with 4 simultaneous waveform outputs. Connect all four audio outputs into a VCA module that can mix like an Intellijel quad VCA. Then connect four modulation sources into the CV inputs... maybe a quad LFO like the Xaoc Batumi and set the Batumi to really slow rates. Of course you don't have to mix just one oscillator... or you could mix between effects or even mix CV sources instead of audio.

If you combine mixing with filter modulation, etc. the sky is the limit.
-- Ronin1973

Im gonna try this with my E352 and plaits connecting Them to my veils.and then try to setup modulation with batumi and zadar

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

Good to know your observations. Sounds like if I was playing single notes it'd work fine. A chromatic harmonica should work well then. What about bending notes like on a diatonic harmonica? I'm assuming with chords things fall apart or get more difficult.
-- ScottyDizzle
Bending works perfectly.
Be aware that even if playing through this module with a mic and speakers I front doesn't really produce audio feedback, the pitch tracking will completely get lost. Personally I'm using a pickup mic inside a mute for my trumpet. For harmonica, you'll have to play with headphone for good results. Or with speaker set with a gentle volume.

Thanks for those tips, Jim. I appreciate you checking out the tracks and giving your honest feedback. I am just dipping my toes into the video world, and have a new found appreciation for the effort people put into their videos.

Had a look. WAY too many sound sources, and WAY too little in the way of "helper modules". The workflow also seems to be quite jacked-up; I can't exactly see how this would be patched in a way that would make sense.

Figure out what SENSIBLE amount of sources that you need, back down the superfluous stuff, and add the various modulation and utility sources this needs. I mean...dude, this thing's only got four VCAs, and while that's fine for summing a couple of VCOs, how do you expect to control the modulation amplitudes, etc? And how are you going to send those VCAs any envelope signals with just one Peaks for the WHOLE RIG?

I'd strongly suggest that you jettison this build, really. There's too much that doesn't work here, so you shouldn't use it as a restarting point. Then begin again, but this time take time to study experienced builders' and synthesists' builds to see how THEY do this, where you'll probably find a ratio along about 1 part audio sources/modifiers and 3 parts modulation, control etc. And if you don't have VCV Rack installed on your machine, install it. VCV is a VERY comprehensive and FREE Eurorack simulator (and then some!), so you can set up similar builds on it and then troubleshoot how they might or might not work in hardware. And TAKE TIME doing this; really good MG builds can sometimes take weeks or more...because it's important to avoid screwing up in ways that can "doom" the build's usability.

https://vcvrack.com/

Instruo Tanh3 is very useful.

Somewhat off topic, I have to mention http://www.steadystatefate.com/triptych -- from your inquiry I thought maybe the SSF module is in the direction of the sounds you're looking for. The Perfect Circuit Baseck video demo of that is good.

Good luck, cheers!

I'm in agreement with Jim on this; if you want this amount of THESE modules, you're probably looking at at least one more row (and preferably two) in order to get the right complement of modules in here, provided the present modules stay the same.

One way to avoid some of this, however, would be to either move the Black Sequencer to an external powered "pod", or to just find a very small sequencer. One suggestion might be this:
ModularGrid Rack
This is built into a 4ms Pod 48X, and has the Black Sequencer paired with one of Erica's Pico Quants and a buffered mult so that you can keep CVs stable even if you're using this on some other synth along with the modular. That gets you 42 hp back in the main cab. But you can chuck out even more...one of the Marbles, the 2hp mixers, many of the Mutable clones (you're apt to discover that those teensy knobs aren't a lot of fun to work with), and some existing modules can be "smushed" into different and more efficient configs. F'rinstance: your pair of MCOs. These retail for $175 apiece, more or less, and they take up 6 hp. All well and good...but you can also drop a single Plaits where those are and get a more powerful device in the same space. You can then drop the Plaits clone and open up 8 hp more. Oh, and it costs $259 as opposed to the $350 for the less-capable MCOs. This sort of thing.

I'm sure there are other "condensing points" in there as well. But one thing I'd jump on immediately with this design is how to do it smaller yet still make it ergonomically sensible.