One other great source for audio manglers is Schlappi Engineering. These don't just "dirty up" things...they're more akin to aural homicide!
-- Lugia

Thank you again Lugia,
Yes i know about Schlappi Engineering and I’m very interested by their modules ! Angle grinder look very interesting.. pfff need more racks ahhaha

@Tchnondz,

I have Erica Techno & Jomox Modbase MkII (and some other perc stuff and lots of other modular stuff). The Jomox is SICK. Since you are liking the Techno, I think you'll love the add of the Jomox.

The rest of your rack doesn't make a ton of sense to me. A few comments:
-- if Piston Honda and Manis Iteritas are the synth voices that are inspiring to you, sure, go for it
-- Zadar and QuadVCA will be useful in almost any scenario, so those also I see as "no regrets" choices here
-- PNW is superb, but I'm not immediately seeing a need for it since you also have Erica Drum Seq and Nerdseq in the rack above
-- your question "what utilities" ... the answer there is "it depends." Really depends on how many voices you are running, how you will typically patch those, etc.

SO my suggestion for you is i) you already have Techno and a few other modules--cool ii) identify your next "no regrets" modules, get those, and spend some time with them--that will tell you what utilities etc. you need to make those work as you are hoping.

Last, since your focus is Techno / Acid, I should point out (if you don't already know)
-- https://wmdevices.com/products/time-warp Time Warp will let you add slew/glide to anything on demand. The glide sound is a big part of the acid sound. Its very worth considering if you don't already have a satisfactory slew/glide function in your setup
-- I notice a lot in your setup looks like it is to "dirty up" various sounds. If that's your aim, I can recommend SSF Triptych and/or Instruo tahn[3] which can help you get some added brutality on your sounds.

Cheers,

Nicholas

-- nickgreenberg

Hi Nickgreenberg,

Thank you for your reply,

Yes can’t wait to try the Jomox Modbase 09MKII ! Love the Jomox sound (already owned the Modbase11 and the Jomox Alphabase)
Ok so for you i made good choice with Piston Honda, Manis, Zadar and Intellijel Quad VCA. So you said the rest of my rack doesnt make a ton of sense, so i think, like Lugia said me already, you hadn’t choose Vermona Melodicer (too big for my small rack) and Zularic Repetitor.. So I will try those modules and maybe put them out of the rack later for make place for utilities…
Can you confirm or infirm I necessary need an attenuated, something like Vermona Amplinuator, for attenuate signal maybe of Piston Honda and Jomox who are really hot ?
I love WMD, will buy their Performance mixer for sure ! I checked the Timewarp, look very nice, keep it in mind :) Thank you

Like you say, I will try the modules I already own and see little by little what utilities I need..
My fear is if I need something necessary (and what I miss) for make my System work and make a little bit of music.. but I think it will work like this and I can have a little bit of fun.. even if I miss some utilities…

Thank you again,

Kevin

Tagging of the modules (& racks) in your collection

For all kinds of reasons it can be very useful to tag the modules in your collection. E.g. #wishlist, #jamming, #playmorewith, #3modules, #mylar, #colin, #trade, #sell, #field, #untamed, #live, #smallcase, #combo-X (X = a number), #greatwithclouds, #unpredictable, #generative, #starrynight, #stockhausen, #divkid, #hainbach, etc

Multiple lists of modules:
It would be very useful to be able to create multiple lists. This helps when reorganizing your system, keeping an overview of a wishlist, and perhaps grouping modules for particular activities (e.g. 'on-the-road modules', 'live jam modules', 'fieldrecording set', etc).

At the minimum being able to separate the modules that you have from those that are on the wishlist would already be great. And also: 'modules-I-own-that-are-currently-in-my-system' and 'modules-I-own-that-arent'

Thank you everyone for getting back to me so quickly. You all have definitely given me a lot of things to consider. Here are my thoughts so far:

Yeah, the mantis case is awesome. Better to start with a good case and power supply to protect my long-term investment.

Surface vs. Rings: I could go either way here because I like the sounds of both. However, antipythagoras does bring up a good point about the external input and the combination of synthetic and acoustic sounds. That is a direction I would like to go in, so Rings it is.

Bloom vs. Marbles: It seems to me that bloom is easier to get melodies going. That's why I picked that one. Does anyone have experience with both of these modules? I can try to learn Marbles in VCV rack since I won't incorporate it until later. If I gel with it, I may go that route.

Yeah, I don't need the headphones out from the euro rack because I have other gear.

I was hesitant about modules like disting and Ornaments and Crime. My music-making up to this point has been either in front of a computer or electronic gear with lots of menu diving, that I wanted to get away from that for euro rack. I will study this more because I don't want to eliminate helpful gear for the generative aspect.

So far, here is my updated plan for now : )
Phase 1: Mantis Case + A119 external input + Beads + Maths + S.B.G
Phase 2: Bloom (for now) + Rings + VCA
Phase 3: Plaits + Mixer
Phase 4: Further Expansion

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1742735.jpg

Well, phase 1 just got a lot more expensive, so time to save and continue playing around with VCV rack.

Thanks everyone,
Epaphraz

Awesome thanks Guys.i already got the reseq on my list for modules to check out.will check out those videos

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

To follow up on this topic, here is my current mess of a system:

ModularGrid Rack

And what I think I would really love to get to is a system that allows me to play and record full songs without having to do much with a computer. Just patch something, and if I stumble on something interesting, plug my modular in a recorder and play the song.

Two persons I really look up to are Caspar Hesselager and Comparative Irrelevance. They really represent the goal I'm aiming to with my Eurorack experience:

Sorry if this has been suggested already. I think it would be great to have a rating system for complexity. A "one" would be one of the easier/less complex modules to fully understand. A "five" would be a module that took a lot of learning to figure out how to fully learn how to use because of its complexity. Thanks for the great website!

this user has left ModularGrid

Lugia is correct. Another idea maybe get an MPC Live sampler that is newer technology and has cv outs for working with modular analog gear. For modular having plenty of modulation is key. I’m always adding modulation to my setup and support modules. Once you start patching you will soon realize how easy it is to run out of modulation.

One other great source for audio manglers is Schlappi Engineering. These don't just "dirty up" things...they're more akin to aural homicide!

Looking at this, I see a lot of the typical "sexy" modules and scant few utility modules...attenuators, mixers, VCAs, logic (ESPECIALLY with sequencer-based systems!), modulation sources, and so forth. This really sells the sizable sampler section short, as you have sampler hardware here that could really use modulation. I would suggest tossing out the Poly and the F8R for starters, because these seem to not have the sort of analog modulation that would be useful. Could be wrong, though...but at the same time, the Poly looks a bit like a "Max in a box" device. Knowing how complex Max can get, I do wonder if something like that can handle a REALLY complex bunch of objects.

But yeah, these huge modules are really cramping what the system could do. If the idea is to create a multichannel sampling environment, it may make more sense (and be a lot cheaper) to hunt down a complex sampler from the 1990s/2000s and implement that instead. This is why I've got an Akai S6000 here...when all I need is straight samples, it's perfect, and if I want to modulate that, I can potentially send analog modulation to the sampler, although telling it what to do via MIDI can be just about the same level of flexibility.

Something like this: https://reverb.com/item/45970853-akai-s6000-midi-sampler That's pretty much identical to the one I have...18 outs, dual MIDI implementation, XLRs on the inputs, detachable control panel. Then once you have something of this sort in hand, get a floppy replacement from Gotoh or Nalbantov, and you can jam a MUCH bigger "drive" into the unit via USB drives or SD cards. Once the sampler's all set up, then use a module that can digitize analog signals for MIDI transmission to send all of the voice trigger/gates and modulation to the sampler. With that, you can chuck out ALL of the samplers in the build and focus on modules to drive the sampler, the CV-MIDI conversion, timing, some extra VCFs, modulation, etc. You could even use something like the FH-2 to send/return analog signals to your DAW, and then rechannel them to MIDI in there. Lots of possibilities...

@Tchnondz,

I have Erica Techno & Jomox Modbase MkII (and some other perc stuff and lots of other modular stuff). The Jomox is SICK. Since you are liking the Techno, I think you'll love the add of the Jomox.

The rest of your rack doesn't make a ton of sense to me. A few comments:
-- if Piston Honda and Manis Iteritas are the synth voices that are inspiring to you, sure, go for it
-- Zadar and QuadVCA will be useful in almost any scenario, so those also I see as "no regrets" choices here
-- PNW is superb, but I'm not immediately seeing a need for it since you also have Erica Drum Seq and Nerdseq in the rack above
-- your question "what utilities" ... the answer there is "it depends." Really depends on how many voices you are running, how you will typically patch those, etc.

SO my suggestion for you is i) you already have Techno and a few other modules--cool ii) identify your next "no regrets" modules, get those, and spend some time with them--that will tell you what utilities etc. you need to make those work as you are hoping.

Last, since your focus is Techno / Acid, I should point out (if you don't already know)
-- https://wmdevices.com/products/time-warp Time Warp will let you add slew/glide to anything on demand. The glide sound is a big part of the acid sound. Its very worth considering if you don't already have a satisfactory slew/glide function in your setup
-- I notice a lot in your setup looks like it is to "dirty up" various sounds. If that's your aim, I can recommend SSF Triptych and/or Instruo tahn[3] which can help you get some added brutality on your sounds.

Cheers,

Nicholas

Actually, the cab problem might just be dealt with by now. Have a look at https://www.etsy.com/shop/CaseFromLake Case From Lake is probably the best thing going in portable cases right now. They do custom mods (including odd-length rows, tile rows in either format, and so on) and they're BONKERS on power systems, with beefy Meanwells or the Doepfer A-100 supplies...whichever you'd like. Many of their systems fold up to the right size to qualify as carry-on baggage. Now THAT would be reasonable enough so that you COULD go to a larger cab, but still be able to tote it around.

Combo racks would be a huge help for me.

I buy more support modules now than fun modules and they really advance patches. I am putting Livestock Electronics Maze matrix mixer, comparator and quad sequential switch to the patches and really amazing to split and mingle the signal from one oscillator into madness. Plus easier on the pocketbook. Several support modules cost less or same as one large complex oscillator and do more.

Had fun experimenting with Make Noise Maths and Erbeverb to do percussion and weird sounds.

Friends,

So I've been at this modular synthesis business for about two years now and have been loving every bit of it. Over this time, I've slowly put together a rack that I am happy with, one that I think is versatile for my musical interests: 80s synth/techno and ambient generative. Recently, I've decided to pursue the ambient generative route a bit more and am looking to add some modules to reflect this.

Here is what my rack is looking like now:

ModularGrid Rack

There are some DIY modules that take up some of the empty space: a Dual VCA, a Quad mixer, the 123ADC designed by Sam Battle of Look Mum No Computer, a Lowpass filter and a simple sine/triangle wave oscillator. I also have an Arturia Keystep that I use as a sequencer from time to time.

Three things I wanted to address about my rack:

1) VCAs. The more the merrier right? My DIY Dual VCA is doing well, but I often find myself needing more control, both over audio signals and CV. Modules that I've been considering for this are Intellijel Quad VCA and Mutable Instruments Blinds.

2) Random CV modulation. This is a big one for me. I've been on a quest to create quasi-random CV and LFOs for my ambient generative patches. I've been able to get away with it a bit using Tides and some CV mixing. I love randomly modulating the voices I use! From my research so far, I hear Mutable Instruments Marbles is great for this.

3) Voices. To me, it seems that I don't have enough voices in this rack. I mostly find myself using Pluck, uPlaits and Rings, but is there another voice that sounds great ambient-wise, especially when passed through Clouds?

Any suggestions, comments or criticisms on my rack would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I've decided to go the more ambient generative route, but am torn as to what I need to add next. Space isn't an issue nor power supply, as I'm making a larger custom case.

-Uncle Peter

Lugia, i copied your replan and modified it a little bit. Feedback welcome.

Forgot about this.have updated my case.have sold the octopus. Considering the filterbank.also have put the hermod back in the case.

Considering Salling the wasp and replace it with the doepfer 106.

Any thoughts

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

Definitely get Marbles and Rings as they pair well with each other and Plaits/Beads for ambient stuff.

couldn't agree more with @AcdNrg more - see my signature!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

phase 1:
case size good
uZeus power not so good - it can be noisy and -ve rail is poor and it is a rack wart (takes up valuable hp needlessly)
get a mantis - the studio bus is significantly better or if you are stuck on the unpowered case then befaco excalibus is excellent - quiet and no rack wart!

wouldn't recommend a free running lfo - I'd rather have a function generator - maths would be perfect - also because it's a great learning module due to the 'maths illustrated supplement' - and it can be free running as well as triggered gated

if you want to process a guitar or other external instrument - I would recommend getting at least a module that includes an envelope follower early - so maybe an instrument interface - again possibly befaco or doepfer

phase 2: how are you listening to the output of beads in phase 1 - unless you need headphones etc in rack then I wouldn't bother with the xoh - I'd prioritize a triple or quad cascading vca - happy nerding 3*vca or mutable instruments veils - veils would be my choice as each channel can also be used as an instrument interface (20db+ gain!)

tbh I would combine phase 1 and 2 - and add a disting mk4 - this has an algorithm for envelope and pitch following - dump the ochd and xoh and add maths and the cascading vca

this would mean that your phase 1-2 would be:
case, beads, maths, veils, disting mk4, sbg - and some stackcables

phase 3: seems ok

phase 4: plaits is a reasonably solid choice - you'll need an end of chain mixer though - depending on how you are intending on listening
I'd recommend the tesseract tex-mix as it is expandable I'd start with a master section and 4 stereo channels

expansion - if it was me I'd add a filter (possibly stereo), an effects module (I like fx aid xl) and more utilities (think plumbing), maybe put the ochd back in

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

This looks great. Good choice of playable modules with immediate interfaces, and wise planning. I'd be curious why you chose Bloom and Surface over Marbles and Rings, I would argue that you might have more fun with Rings than Surface because of the external audio input. Especially since you already planning to work with external audio inputs in your system, Rings really allows you to explore the space between synthetic and acoustic sounds in a way that modules like Surface or Plonk cannot b/c they have no audio input. Rings is sometimes used for a no input, zero modulation 'YouTube potted plant' ambient sound which may or may not be what you're after, but it's important to note that is just one of hundreds of ways you could creatively use the module.

Also, I would recommend ditching the buffered mult and adding an Ornament and Crime (with Hemispheres firmware). I think you're doing a great choice of not having multifunction modules here, but uO_C's quantizers are really useful for generative because you can choose from dozens of scales and the interface is super clear and simple (unlike other multifunction modules which I've owned and sold because of the poor interface such as say, Disting, FX Aid, Peaks etc.). As a bonus you get many other fun generative tools such as clock skipper, clock divider, euclidian rhythms, chaos generators, burst generators, logic, sample and hold, rungler. In my experiences stackcables usually work fine to copy pitch cvs, but if not, you can use the quantizer to get the pitch back on track hence you really don't need a buffered multiple.

The obvious other recommendation is a Maths for envelopes, portamento, clock manipulation and attenuversion/mixing. Or if you want to start simpler you can get a smaller one channel slew limiter such as the After Later Audio Tilt and add an attenuversion/offset module (such as the WMD/SSF S.P.O. or the ALM O/A/X2). If you want to save space or money on mixing and attenuation you can start with a couple cheap passive 0HP mixers such as the BoredBrain Splix which work really well.

Hi everyone,

I am trying to plan out my first starter rack. I thought I would start off with a case with space to grow into and figure out what to add slowly over time. The goal is to build a generative ambient rack.

ModularGrid Rack

Phase 1: Case + Beads + ochd
Process the audio of my standalone synths and electric guitar using the auto gain input of Beads.

Phase 2: S.B.G + XOH
Integrate my numerous guitar FX pedals.

Phase 3: Bloom + Surface + Multi
The first step towards generative ambient

Phase 4: Plaits + Further Expansion
Take advantage of 2nd output from Bloom.

Phase 5: And Beyond...
Hopefully, I will somewhat know what I am doing by then and know what I would like to add.

Well, these are my thoughts from someone trying to humbly venture into the vast modular world. Any advice on any of the various phases would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Epaphraz

The case sports a lot of go-to modules and the selection is great. In a way it´s similar to my first case, although I wasn´t that sample oriented. What´s completely missing (I did the same) is a plethora of modulation helper modules: mults, switches, attenuators, polarizers, mixers, logic, vfa, vcf, eq. You´re likely to miss half the fun. Well, it took me 2 years to get to this point :D

My golden rule nowadays is: For every major module, buy 3-4 helper modules. They take their toll on $$$ and hp and are easily forgotten. They are as important as the "big ones" though.

The Performer will give you a LOT of options, including modulation similar to the internal sequencer in the classic Native Instrument's Massive VST. There is also a lot in terms of Euclidean patterns, chance, etc.

You're going to get a module a month. Sounds like a plan. Take the time to really learn the Performer and the Assimilator. The Performer has a lot PERFORMANCE options, so learning them will really help you out. The Performer can also drive external MIDI instruments as well. So if you have any hardware MIDI instruments lying about, you can work with them as well.

My thought on your next module to purchase would be the Disting EX. You can link your F8r via I2C. So it would make sense to get the Disting since you have the F8r. The Disting will also give you a nice selection of different functionality that you can try out as you explore your modules.

As you gain more experience, you might change your mind on what modules you'd like. So I'd get the Disting and see how you feel a month or two after.

Hey guys, I'm coming back for your help since last time was really helpful.
I've been digging more and more into ambient and generative music and find myself enjoying it quite a lot.
I want some changes in my case, e.g. more CV utilities, random sources...
I already own most of what is in that case except Morphagene, I've mainly removed an Atlantis that I don't use as much anymore.
I know the case is way too small for a true generative powerhouse but I play it with some friends and neeed to move it quite often.
Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks guys.

Just so you know what I'm trying to aim regarded sound.

ModularGrid Rack

Tried to work on this, but much of the on-hand modules are simply too big to be practical. Plus, I'm definitely NOT an advocate of building drum machines in Eurorack...and here's why:

An Erica Techno System = $4829
Actual used Roland TR-909 = $7000-ish.

Now, the problem here is that, for one thing, actual TR-909 prices should not be that close to a modular system. Worse still:

Behringer 909 clone (RD-9) = $349

Now, that's the current clone of the TR-909. $4480 cheaper. With that, you could buy four WMD Performance Mixers...or 12.836 RD-9s. Behringer notwithstanding, that's a massive drop in cost.

Hi Lugia,

Yes i understand your point of view, but I want to go full modular and I already own the Erica Synths Techno system which is a beast. The Drum Sequencer is incredible and all the drums are very good. I don’t want to compare with Berhinger who is (for me) a shitty brand and sounds (for me) like shit..
i am very happy with my Techno System and this will stay my only drum machine. Just add Jomox Modbase 09 MkII for more kick diversity, my music is hard/Industrial techno and I don’t need a lot of things for that, a distorted kick, some hats, and some harsh synths voices with a touch of acid, I think I’m pretty ok with just the Techno System and some proccessing modules.

Yes, I get it...modular presumably gives you more flexibility in sound design. But so will a drum machine with independent outputs per drum and a small rack of outboard processors...and you'd STILL come out ahead.

My suggestion is this: stop. Take a close look at the Erica rig, and start figuring out if you really DO need all of that, especially if it takes up so much room in the cab that everything else has to be a compromise of some sort or another. If so, leave it in its own case, then build up a second and smaller cab for a complimentary system that contains both synth voices AND processing for the Erica rack.

That’s what I want to do with my case, so I choose 2 synth voices (Piston Honda and Manis Iteritas) and modules for processing my Erica rack. The British Noise Electronics Gain Stage Amplifier which is the distortion I choose for my kick drums. The Lyra 8 FX for destroy my snare and clap. The British Noise Electronic Grit filter for my Erica Synth Bassline.

And think SMALLER. Huge modules are nice in a huge system...but in something like a Mantis, they SUUUUUUUUUUCK. This is a compromise you should get used to. If you want the big module functions, keep the following in mind:

1) It's going to kill space in the cab for a lot of things, potentially including the utility modules these big ones need.
2) There ARE smaller modules that do the same (or sometimes more) as the huge things. For example, that HUGE Vermona meloDicer...there's a few other modules that do the same thing (Stochastic Instruments' Stochastic Inspiration Generator, Catalyst's Time's Arrow, etc) but which AREN'T 34 hp. Nor are they $480.

Yes you’re right but I’m in love with this Vermona module from the first time I discover it.. I already own it and will be very useful for me because I Suuuuck ;) at programming (musical) melodies, I don’t have a musician background.. and this module is very nice for live performance. Can save 16 patterns and make them evolve in live… yes it’s big and expensive but will keep it for sure…

There's definitely ways to make something like this work, both financially AND practically. But right now...hmm, not so much. Consider a separate system instead. Otherwise, this will just turn into a frustrating exercise in trying to fit modules into a rapidly-diminishing space for a pile of money.

I think my rack can work like this for the moment and for the music I make… If I miss something necessary please let me know.. Later in 2022 I will buy another 6U rack for install the WMD performance mixer and will have the place for all the utilities.. this term is abstract for me.. if you can tell which utilities I need for sure, why ? And how I will patch for example the Piston honda with those utilities ?

Thank you very much,

Kevin

-- Lugia

the funny side is that the Modular scenes seem to don't give a damn..

Tried to work on this, but much of the on-hand modules are simply too big to be practical. Plus, I'm definitely NOT an advocate of building drum machines in Eurorack...and here's why:

Actual used Roland TR-909 = $7000-ish.

Now, the problem here is that, for one thing, actual TR-909 prices should not be that close to a modular system. Worse still:

Behringer 909 clone (RD-9) = $349

Now, that's the current clone of the TR-909. $4480 cheaper. With that, you could buy four WMD Performance Mixers...or 12.836 RD-9s. Behringer notwithstanding, that's a massive drop in cost.

Yes, I get it...modular presumably gives you more flexibility in sound design. But so will a drum machine with independent outputs per drum and a small rack of outboard processors...and you'd STILL come out ahead.

My suggestion is this: stop. Take a close look at the Erica rig, and start figuring out if you really DO need all of that, especially if it takes up so much room in the cab that everything else has to be a compromise of some sort or another. If so, leave it in its own case, then build up a second and smaller cab for a complimentary system that contains both synth voices AND processing for the Erica rack.

And think SMALLER. Huge modules are nice in a huge system...but in something like a Mantis, they SUUUUUUUUUUCK. This is a compromise you should get used to. If you want the big module functions, keep the following in mind:

1) It's going to kill space in the cab for a lot of things, potentially including the utility modules these big ones need.
2) There ARE smaller modules that do the same (or sometimes more) as the huge things. For example, that HUGE Vermona meloDicer...there's a few other modules that do the same thing (Stochastic Instruments' Stochastic Inspiration Generator, Catalyst's Time's Arrow, etc) but which AREN'T 34 hp. Nor are they $480.

There's definitely ways to make something like this work, both financially AND practically. But right now...hmm, not so much. Consider a separate system instead. Otherwise, this will just turn into a frustrating exercise in trying to fit modules into a rapidly-diminishing space for a pile of money.

I think you will eventually end up with something similar to what I have. Take a look at my Intellijel 1 and Intellijel 2 racks, they have quite a bit more in terms of fleshing out your voices.
-- greenfly

Awesome, thanks for that. Nice looking set ups you've got there. How are you finding the 4ms Spherical Wavetable Navigator? Looks awesome from what I've seen, but not sure if it's something I should consider as it's quite large.

Not ALL drums should be mono. The reason for that old axiom traces back to vinyl and a VERY serious problem with high-amplitude, low-frequency sounds when they're being cut to a lacquer.
-- Lugia

That's good to know. Man you're a treasure-trove of information/history! I've learnt so much from this thread already. Just need to try and make it stick now, ha.

So at the moment I'm considering the following additions in the near future:

• Doepfer A-138s
  • Happy Nerding 3x MIA
  • Buffered mult
  • Batumi or Stages
  • WMD/SSF Toolbox
  • vpm.de Euclidean Circles V2 w/ switches (or Intellijel Steppy)

Then depending on how I find myself using the uO_c, maybe something like:

• Intellijel Quadra
  • Nonlinear Circuits Triple Sloths
  • DivKid ochd
  • MI Rings, Beads, Make Noise Morphagene or 4ms Spherical Wavetable Navigator (for ambient stuff?)
  • Anything else I should consider?

I am tempted by something like Maths to use alongside the illustrated guide, but I think I'd prefer more standalone modules as I fear it might be too complex for me?

I'd prefer to keep everything housed in the 1 case, so definitely need to be smart with my next purchases. Does what I've listed above make sense to cover the more ambient side of things? I feel like the current setup paired with the 0-Coast (once I get it) will cover all the 4/4 and deep house stuff. So the focus is on ambient now!

As for sequencing via the Digitakt, I'm even tempted to forego the FH-2 for something like a CV.OCD to save space, however I did stumble across the LPZW.modules TRAM8 3U, which is billed as being "ideal for Elektron users", but not sure if it's overkill if I were to get the Euclidean Circles/Steppy as it does seem very drum focused.

Edit: typos

Not ALL drums should be mono. The reason for that old axiom traces back to vinyl and a VERY serious problem with high-amplitude, low-frequency sounds when they're being cut to a lacquer.

Lower frequency sounds, on vinyl, are problematic since they require quite a bit of physical movement transferred to your stylus for amplification. But when they're being cut, not only do you have that consideration, but it's essential to check to make sure that NOTHING below around 120 Hz (or thereabouts...different lathe engineers have different "secrets" for this) is out of phase. If they're not, at worst you'll just have a bunch of defective pressings. But the worst-case scenario is when some VERY low-end signal (or a sneaky DC offset) gets to the cutter head, causing it to jump out of the groove it's cutting...or worse still, if the signal actually fries the cutter head because it's been sent a signal it's not physically capable of transferring. But this ONLY applies to vinyl; analog tape and digital sources don't involve a need to mono-ize the low end, unless it helps out musically.

Oh, yeah...scrolling, too. This refers to the width of the "field" between adjacent instances of signal. Some lathes do have a way to deal with this, by adding a "check head" to the tape machine that listens to the audio a fraction of a second before the playback head gets it, and that way, the lathe's scroll width can vary with amplitude. But not all lathes can do this, with the potential result being a record that sounds like this...like this...like this...like this...like this...

I think you will eventually end up with something similar to what I have. Take a look at my Intellijel 1 and Intellijel 2 racks, they have quite a bit more in terms of fleshing out your voices.

Good call on the -1db Lugia. I actually find myself 'normalizing' to way less than that to achieve balance between samples. db values and perceived loudness are very different at times.
-- wiggler55550

Yep...but the nice thing about only dropping the normalization level to -1 dB across ALL samples is that everything's more or less uniform, putting the control of the overall mix back into YOUR hands. Plus, there's literally no way for dithering and such to bump things over 0 dB because, while -1 dB might seem to be close to that, the fact is that on a PCM word level, it's a long way from it. And the ultimate spin comes all the way back from undergrad: 99% of all people cannot tell the difference between -1 dB and 0 dB. As a general rule, any amplitude changes between -3 dB and 0 dB are mostly imperceptible, and -3 dB is considered to be something of a perceptual threshold for an average group of listeners where one CAN detect a level change. Note that I'm NOT referring to electronic composers and/or performers here; WE tend to have a better ear for these sorts of things, probably from the simple fact that we spend a lot of time tinkering and twiddling with these minute control changes all the time.

... and after another longish session with this method (above) I would say it is good but not a panacea.

++It produces nice results on about 50% of the waveforms I feed it. It works best on saws and saw like things. On triangles and folded sines you end up hearing a kind of "swooshing noise" that is not so great. The more buckwild the waveform, the less likely it works with this technique so far.

++comparing this to my VSTs that do unison/stack/detune/spread like Serum and Icarus2, the VSTs get a more consistent result with various waveforms.

Net net, I currently think I'm getting a solid unison/stack/detune/spread result from modular using WS+Minsk, but i) the effect requires significant "dial in" efforts and ii) it doesn't work great on every type of waveform I'm throwing at it.

Update: I added AJH Wave Swarm and Xaoc Minsk (stereo width & m/s FX) to my setup. Initial experiments leave me 60%+ satisfied as far as unison/stack/detune/spread goes; it's not getting me the super-stack sound I would get out of Serum BUT its a considerable step in the right direction. I'm wondering if I will be able to further "tune in" my setup and patches for a more satisfying result. Again the reason I'm using WS+Minsk is to be able to do this to ANY waveform (and not just rely on a supersaw module).

If ya'll have any further ideas / comments, I'll be interested to hear. Thanks!

Thank you everyone ! You take the time to help me, and I learn a lot of things with you all ! I think my first rack will finish like this :

ModularGrid Rack

You think it can be usuable like this and I can enjoy for a moment like this ? Can’t afford the next rack with WMD mixers, effects and more modulation ms and utilities for the moment..

Thank you again, I appreciate a lot,

Kevin

Nice you have Techno System too ! Love it !
Sorry i had made some modification after my post in the forum… thats why it look complete when you click in my image.
Now you can see how it is now :)
Do you think Intellijel UVCA is enough for the moment or i need Intellijel Quad VCA ? Do i really need Sample and Hold ? Ring Modulation ? I dont understand how to use it and if i really need it… i am totally new to modular… OCHD look very nice for LFO, will ass it or Batumi ;) Thank you !

Do you think i can use my modular like this and see after what i really need ?
For mixing and outputs i will buy another rack with WMD performance mixer and two others Vermona Twinout..

Hmm, do you need ring mod and sample & hold. I think others would agree it really depends on what you're going for. Drones? Melodies? A bit of both? It think you definitely would use a quad VCA if you had it, because putting movement into a drone or a melody is key to bringing life to your patches. Ring modulation is an effect. In this system, I would look at another multi-effect (you already have a good one with Erica's Dual FX, but that will get used quickly even if sent to a mixer. If you're going to go big and get the performance mixer (VERY good choice), a couple multi-effects would be perfect to start. FXAid is of course great. So is the Erica Black Hole DSP, so is Milky Way. All of those are very much preset friendly and good for beginners.

Sample & Hold can be extremely useful for a broad range of audio and CV uses. Random melodies, random beats, random control of VCA's to randomize random movements in the spectrum! You don't need it, but investigate how it is used on YouTube and see what you like.

Consider a quad VCA, at least one multi-effect, an LFO generator and some kind of attenuator to really master control over as many parameters as you can.

All the other suggestions you're getting are terrific too. As always, endless possibilities and angles.

BTW, I think you can slave Drum Sequencer to the NerdSeq with very little effort. DrumSeq is really one of the greatest things I've encountered in Eurorack. So much fun to use and play. Hope this is all helpful!
-- ThePlate

This is very helpful ! Thank you so much !

So I tried to listen all your advices, and think I’m done for this rack ! I think I will choose Pamela new workout for random and some lfo, Intellijel quad VCA, and for Attenuator/ CV/level control will take the Vermona Amplinuator 3.
In my next rack I will put WMD Performance mixer, A multi effect (surely Erica Synths Black hole DSP 2) other modulations sources (Quadrax, Bastl Trinity, Kermit..), utilities (S&H and ring modulation, will learn more about these and check videos..) and other Vermona outputs (TAI-4, Twin outs)

So I think for my first rack, it will be finish like this :

ModularGrid Rack

Can you confirm it will be fully usuable like this to begin ? Can’t afford the next rack this year…

Thank you very much, Kevin

I'm creating a rig aimed at ambient & granular, and am interested in hearing about other people's favorite oscillators for ambient.

I've been out of modular for a while and there are so many more VCOs in just a few short years. I don't have a strict sound in mind, but I'd like to get something somewhat versatile. I don't have a preference for digital or analogue. It's likely I'll end up with two oscillators in any case. Thanks.
-- gumbo23

I just got the Instruo CS-L and it’s wonderful. Check it out!

I'm not going to give specific advice, but advice if I suddenly acquired your system and the things I would check.

My first consideration would be able to stop, start, and reset both the Nerdseq and the Erica Drum sequencer together. If I start playing one sequencer from the beginning, I should be able to slave the other. This might be done through MIDI or CV through clock and reset. I would look through both for Clock-In, Clock-Out, Reset-In, Reset-Out features.

Yes i asked to Erica Synths team and I can slave the Erica Drum Sequencer to Nerdseq easily or also use Drum Sequencer as master clock.

My second consideration would be a mixing. I'd just go Full-Monty and get the beast that Befaco makes. The Techno-System comes with a lot of sub-mixers. But I'd like to be able to take everything to one main performance mixer. Depending on what modules you get for the Befaco mixing system, you might not need the Intellijel VCA.

I was thinking to buy another 6U rack and take the WMD Performance mixer, another Vermona Twin out and the Vermona TAI-4.
Do you think Befaco Hexmix and expander is better ? I know there is EQ on the Befaco but I have a preference for WMD Performance mixer for the moment..

Third, utilities. How are you doing on sample&hold, logic modules, slew limiters, etc.
Will learn more things about those things. For the moment I will begin without those utilities in this first rack..

Finally, modules like Plaits would be a great addition as they don't need a lot of support... just a gate and pitch CV. I'm assuming that the main focus is the Techno System and your other modules will support it. Add in a nice reverb and I think you're near golden.

For reverb I was thinking about Noise engineering Desmodus Versio, good choice ?

-- Ronin1973

Thank you !

Sorry i had made some modification after my post in the forum… thats why it look complete when you click in my image.
Do you think Intellijel UVCA is enough for the moment or i need Intellijel Quad VCA ? Do i really need Sample and Hold ? Ring Modulation ? I dont understand how to use it and if i really need it… i am totally new to modular… OCHD look very nice for LFO, will ass it or Batumi ;) Thank you !

For mixing and outputs i will buy another rack with WMD performance mixer and two others Vermona Twinout..

Hmm, do you need ring mod and sample & hold. I think others would agree it really depends on what you're going for. Drones? Melodies? A bit of both? It think you definitely would use a quad VCA if you had it, because putting movement into a drone or a melody is key to bringing life to your patches. Ring modulation is an effect. In this system, I would look at another multi-effect (you already have a good one with Erica's Dual FX, but that will get used quickly even if sent to a mixer. If you're going to go big and get the performance mixer (VERY good choice), a couple multi-effects would be perfect to start. FXAid is of course great. So is the Erica Black Hole DSP, so is Milky Way. All of those are very much preset friendly and good for beginners.

Sample & Hold can be extremely useful for a broad range of audio and CV uses. Random melodies, random beats, random control of VCA's to randomize random movements in the spectrum! You don't need it, but investigate how it is used on YouTube and see what you like.

Consider a quad VCA, at least one multi-effect, an LFO generator and some kind of attenuator to really master control over as many parameters as you can.

All the other suggestions you're getting are terrific too. As always, endless possibilities and angles.

BTW, I think you can slave Drum Sequencer to the NerdSeq with very little effort. DrumSeq is really one of the greatest things I've encountered in Eurorack. So much fun to use and play. Hope this is all helpful!

I'm not going to give specific advice, but advice if I suddenly acquired your system and the things I would check.

My first consideration would be able to stop, start, and reset both the Nerdseq and the Erica Drum sequencer together. If I start playing one sequencer from the beginning, I should be able to slave the other. This might be done through MIDI or CV through clock and reset. I would look through both for Clock-In, Clock-Out, Reset-In, Reset-Out features.

My second consideration would be a mixing. I'd just go Full-Monty and get the beast that Befaco makes. The Techno-System comes with a lot of sub-mixers. But I'd like to be able to take everything to one main performance mixer. Depending on what modules you get for the Befaco mixing system, you might not need the Intellijel VCA.

Third, utilities. How are you doing on sample&hold, logic modules, slew limiters, etc.

Finally, modules like Plaits would be a great addition as they don't need a lot of support... just a gate and pitch CV. I'm assuming that the main focus is the Techno System and your other modules will support it. Add in a nice reverb and I think you're near golden.

Given you have a nerdseq I would get the more cv expander, while the envelopes are not as crazy as a zadar, you get lots of modulation capabilities integrated with the nerdseq ( love this sequencer), and a quad vca is a great choice veils is preferred by many but very hard to source. I would give this a go then see what you feel you are still lacking. I have heard mixed opinions on zadar. You really only need a buffered mult if you are looking for multing pitch cv but it doesn’t look like this is a focus or need in this case, you could use some attenuverters like a 3xmia, and I don’t see any random modulation source, marbles, wogglebug, divkid random step. The tough thing is you have a lot of big showcase modules and not a lot of room for modulation, that’s why I think the nerdseq expander would be a great choice over an ochd as you get 16 more slots for lfos and envelopes.

Ah gotcha sorry for that! Anyways sounds like a fun plan.

Why not just buy an Erica Synths Techno System and save money and time? I mean you practically have one and your system would cost a lot more.
-- sacguy71

I already own the Techno System and all the module you can see in the rack above except Zadar, Buff mult and Intellijel UVCA !
Just want to know how to complete it, what is necessary (other enveloppe, Ring modulation, Sample and Hold, other utilities…) I am totally new to modular.. would like to know if my modular will be usuable like this or if I miss something important.. and if it’s usuable like this, what you will add for finish the 24HP free for the moment..

Thank you, Kevin

Hi! Oh cool, Techno System. I play mine both on its own and as part of larger systems. When I click on your image I'm going to a more complete system but I'm wondering if you could use more mixing and/or output. There are a lot of mixing channels in the techno system but from my experience that section does tend to fill up. The oscillators and effects need to go somewhere, Optomix is good but do you need more submixing for those prior to output? On the other hand, there is technically room for all the voices in the three techno system mixers, and it might be all you need. I'm curious as to where the Erica Link module went, that would actually be a terrific output for this system. Perhaps you've got this solved with other modules. It's a little big, but a Roland 531 would give you more mixing room and a lot of performance control. A DivKid OCHD would be something to consider as well, it would put a lot of movement into the system. I've gotten great results plugging OCHD into the TS, Drum Sequencer loves it. Good luck!
-- ThePlate

Thank you for your response !

Thank you again, Kevin

Why not just buy an Erica Synths Techno System and save money and time? I mean you practically have one and your system would cost a lot more.

Hi! Oh cool, Techno System. I play mine both on its own and as part of larger systems. When I click on your image I'm going to a more complete system but I'm wondering if you could use more mixing and/or output. There are a lot of mixing channels in the techno system but from my experience that section does tend to fill up. The oscillators and effects need to go somewhere, Optomix is good but do you need more submixing for those prior to output? On the other hand, there is technically room for all the voices in the three techno system mixers, and it might be all you need. I'm curious as to where the Erica Link module went, that would actually be a terrific output for this system. Perhaps you've got this solved with other modules. It's a little big, but a Roland 531 would give you more mixing room and a lot of performance control. A DivKid OCHD would be something to consider as well, it would put a lot of movement into the system. I've gotten great results plugging OCHD into the TS, Drum Sequencer loves it. Good luck!

If I could like all your comments I would. All the help has been great!