Hiya Nick

I'll confess I don't use all of them all the same time. The reason I have them is more for the different functionality they each provide and I generally unpatch everything apart from that main signal flow I described for clock and reset throughout the system. I do this because it helps me learn different and new techniques and helps me build my knowledge by repeating the act of patching things again and gain.

Sometimes I use the RCD as a way to trigger the reset of the Metropolis which can really provide a nice change to the sequence from the metropolis along with everything else that this module provides.

However that being said, it generally depends on mood. If I want to start something fast, my goto is the metropolis. If I want to do something more intricate and happy to spend time on the sequence, I use the Hermod with its effects. These two modules tend to be starting points for sequences that drive the melodic structure of music.

The mimetic, clep and zularic is generally used with the Squid Salmple and the BIA for cv and trigger inputs. Sometimes I may use a Quadratt in the path to restrict the range of the voltage going through on the BIA to get a more subtle modulation of one of the functions. Mimetic is fast and gives you really great percussion type random variations to the BIA as well as on the squid with a click of a button. Zularic helps in creating interesting rhythms that are derived from world music which sit well with a standard 4 to floor beat. If I want euclidean patterns I can get those from the temps or hermod too.

Predominantly though, I really like using sequences in the cv input of vca's and also in the trigger inputs of the Quadra for envelopes which then go into the modulation inputs of filters. I jut seem to get better results and more control that way than using lfo's .

I tend to use the temps and ll8 for even more control like when I want to exactly trigger something to happen at an exact point based on me manually sending a trigger to something else.

In a nutshell though, I just love sequencers for modulation and not just for driving the melodic structure of music or what sound like music to me :)

I am planning to write a longer post which I keep meaning to do comparing my rack now to the original advice I got from Lugia which was great starting point for me, and I couldn't have done without it as to be honest, I remember not fully understanding right at the start why Lugia had organised my rack the way he had at the beginning of my journey into Eurorack. Like I remember Lugia putting an Octane into my rack and I was like what is that thing useful for, whereas now I have like lots of Octane type modules :)

Another aspect is cost, I think it's worth investing in the extra modules if you can get them for good prices. For example, I bought the analogue solutions generator for £265 and the zularic repetitor for £80. Prices were too good to refuse and my thinking is I could always sell them on if required and not lose money on them

Another example of a patch is to take a lfo from ochd into the rotate input of RCD, this way the clock divider will be generating different rhythms which you can use as a trigger in of the Quadra. You can then use the output of that as modulation to the filter but its generally things of that ilk.

Oh and why the two varigates - I guess this is because I too like to decouple gates from sequences so have one in gate mode and the other in cv mode to give me that flexibility.

Hope this helps :)

by original I meant built by mutable - ie not a clone...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Hi, I also have the M303

Before I had the Hydronium from Rare Waves. That one has midi integration as well
https://rarewaves.net/products/hydronium/

I find the M303 not ideal (lack of filter CV) but it sounds great

Regards

Johan

Hi, I am Johan from PUNKmodular, based in Belgium
I buy and sell modules regularly and make DIY stuff for my webshop
https://punkmodular.com

Submitting is still an option for you. You just need to fill in some of the fields and then make sure to have "Do not list this module" checked. This option is tailored to your need:

Check this field if you do not want your module to be listed in the module browser. It will be excluded from the module search, too. This is useful for your unique DIY modules and alternations of modules already in the database, technically considered as duplicate.

Hi,

Have been looking for a thread like this but have not found any (surprisingly - i might have missed it)

What are your preferred modules for a 303 sound? Modules can either be single component (VCO, VCF) or a synthvoice (e.g. Acidlab M303).

At the moment i am using an M303 but i am looking to get something to add, so wondering what would be a good choice.

thanks
ciao

Hi forum,
I am new to the modular world and i am glad that a tool like MG exists. Thank you for that one!
In case this question already came up, please submit a link. I really tried to find but i think this not a good solution for my specific case.

Yesterday i build my first custom module. Its a passive breakout board for "Arturia BeatStep PRO". Now i am wondering if this is addable in MG.
It really does not make any sense to submit this a new module because its unique.

Is there any best practice to add something like this or is this simply not possible?

I have multiple cases too, and have just extended the rows and hp of a single Modular Grid case to match my full rig.
My complete system is 2 x 12u x 104hp racks side by side (208hp) wide so I have built my MG rack to be 210hp wide with 2hp blank panels representing the space between racks.

I am setting up a system with two cases and really need to be able to see both at once in MG - is this possible?

Thanks.

There is no problem, it's a product specification.
Manual says,
Connect clock input of the LL8 to a clock signal from a sequencer or LFO and the sequencer will start running. If the sequencer does not receive a clock signal for a few seconds, it jumps back to the first step of the sequence and waits until the clock continues.

I need help with LL8. After reset (disconnect clock for some seconds and send clock again) it always skip first step in pattern (no trigger out). Is it normal for LL8?

Dim.XL
-- DIMXL

Thread: "Normalized"

Yep

A normalled jack is different from normalizing, people should be careful not to interchange the two terms. Normalizing involves altering the gain of audio, normalling involves behind-the-panel connections between circuits.
-- snowtires

So instead of stating "The right VCA is normalized to the left VCA" the builder should be saying "The right VCA is normaled to the left VCA"?

JB

this user has left ModularGrid

Yeah Nerdseq would be fun to try out as a different type of sequencer plus you can use a Gameboy joystick controller with it!
I've never used tracker style sequencers most have been XOXO type step sequencers. Erica Synths Black Sequencer looks like another fun one to try out and Endorphin.es Ground Control is finally out now.

Thread: JakoJako

I'm shameless to say, most of my rack was designed around yours. :) And, I just noticed you replaced the Befaco STMix with the Happy Nerding 4x St Mixer. For me, the STMix was always had a bit static when adjusting levels. How are you finding the 4x St Mixer it in comparison?

Thank you @troux and thank you, @franq

Hi Broken-Form,

That's great! :-) However... you leave us here at a high-level of excitement wanting to know...

What caused the issue? :-) Thank you very much in advance and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Nickgreenberg,

Oh that's great, then the most important element you have it already ;-)

Well... what you could consider then isn't really a pure sequencer (well... a chord sequencer) but might add some serious added value, which is the Sinfonion from ACL. If you think the Vector is a beast (which indeed it is if you just look at the point of being a sequencer) than the Sinfonion is a beast-cube (beast to the power of three) or something like that ;-)

That might be a real addition to it. Another interesting idea might be, as "simple" as it sounds, to add more drum variation, the Erica Synths - Drum Sequencer. Or yet another alternative the Erica Synths - Black Sequencer.

If you don't mind to think outside of the box (your Eurorack) then you might want to consider the Erica Synths' new drum synthesizer Perkons HD-01, brand new, not available yet :-)

Ha, ha, I have no idea why I come up with so many Erica Synths devices. Well there are tons of other good sequencers, you mentioned already yourself that list of sequencers made by Martin Doudoroff, it's rather a matter of money and HP space then lack of sequencers ;-)

Though please have a look at the Sinfonion, that really might be a good "add-on" for your already existing Vector. Good luck and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

yes but the issue of which is which only comes up out of context, within context, I think it's a bit pedantic, don't you, really?
-- JimHowell1970

There's nothing pedantic about using the correct words to describe things.

Is this an original? if so send an email to mutable support - Emilie will sort you out pretty quickly
-- JimHowell1970

its the newest version,bought it some months ago,but havent had time to test it untill this week,have tried with different cables(all connected as one should)

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

this is my "classic" live setup pre-pandemic. arranged as id have them (tho the big muff was usually on the floor not the board)

i used this setup for several years. a few things came and went (and the attack-decay was really only added around 2018, the T2 around 2016) but this basic setup (multiple reverse delays and multiple reverbs) goes back to about 2010 - the signal chain splits at the DD6 - the signal splits again at the RV3 and i use three amps. the tremster was only used when i couldnt use my Gretsch amp with built-in tremolo.

before the big muff, i used the distortion in my Marschall (and line-out'd to a bass amp) - that was (1) signal. signal (2) and (3) went to the fender (its a 2x12). but when i switched to my gretsch (also a 2x12), i started using the big muff. i kept the big muff last since that's what i was used to using the Marschall's amp distortion.

once using the gretsch, i ran signals (1)-DD6-A/RV3-A/BMuff and (2)-DD6-A/RV3-B to the fender (pre out to the bass amp) and the gretsch got signal (3) - DD6-B/DD5/trem)

i dont use effects loops in the amps

both the DD5 and DD6 live on reverse delay - the DD6 ping pongs the delays from L-R - i generally had the RV3 on settings 3 or 4 which is a kind of pulse delay/reverb; mostly kept it on a short echo with a longish decay. The DD5 can adjust the delay time similar to an analog delay (doesnt make the zipper rip). i constantly changed the T2 settings based on the song etc...

i mean no settings stayed the same once i got going.

the boing is my "always on" but i didnt realize how insane it sucks volume (!) until i got it in the studio. my live setup is so loud anyway it didn't make a difference.

i use a tuned down gretsch jet solid body guitar and perform by myself. ambient solo doom. i had a cellist for a few months a few years ago, which was amazing

the whole things is very trippy and loud af

an algorithm you will never understand decides what music you listen to

Anyone knows if the stepper acid will be back in stock? TSL does not reply to emails, wondering if they will build it again

Thanks
Ciao

Any sound examples from other artists that represent what you mean by "dark drones"? Maybe we can help you reverse engineer a similar sound to what you are aiming for.
Edit* I think I know what you are going for, and the E352 will probably be a great tool, but it would help to hear some examples.

A normalled jack is different from normalizing, people should be careful not to interchange the two terms. Normalizing involves altering the gain of audio, normalling involves behind-the-panel connections between circuits.
-- snowtires

Very true. That's why I attempted to use the correct terminology in my first response. I actually thought about making this distinction in my response as well, but figured it was an honest mistake.

this is my rack im building atm

ModularGrid Rack

i dont have the tetrapad-tete s yet,and the veils seems to be broke.

anyone have any starter tips to patch up dark drones/ambient drones

yes but the issue of which is which only comes up out of context, within context, I think it's a bit pedantic, don't you, really?

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

@sacguy71, thanks for your ideas, I'll put VPME Euclidean back in the "maybe" list : )

@GarfieldModular, thanks for the ideas above. BTW I already have Vector + Expander... yes it is a beast. Lately I've been considering "what else might I add and why?" This thread plus some additional web viewing have convinced me multiple sequencers are in fact a great idea. Of course Vector has so many lanes you could already consider that multiple sequencers, and do some interesting things like combining or switching lanes with downstream units.

@greenfly, thanks for your response. I'm curious, how are you using those various units you mentioned? What are a couple normal use cases / patches you'd run on that rig? That's a pretty significant set of sequencing / clocking power!

yeah stereo is a newish thing in modular - as is polyphony

nb a lot of the fx aid xl algorithms are mono to stereo so you can take a mono signal and stereo-ize them!

can you not pan the samples in the disting ex multisampler??? if so, it might be interesting to pan them like a real drum kit...

basically to re-iterate normalisation is basically chaining things together in a way that is breakable by inserting a patch cable in the path of normalization - which is why veils is a good example (the original is easier to understand for this in lots of ways as the jacks are next to the channel controls

put simply normally channel 1 output is added to channel 2 output is added to channel 3 output is added to channel 4 output

but if you plug into the output of say channel 3 you get:
channel 1 output is added to channel 2 output is added to channel 3 output
& chennel 4 is separate

but if you plug into the output of say channel 2 you get:
channel 1 output is added to channel 2 output
& channel 3 & channel 4 are added - unless you also plug into channel 3 output in which case they are separate

for example :
disting ex L out into veils input 1
a.n. other stereo module L out into veils input 2
disting ex R out into veils input 3
a.n. other stereo module R out into veils input 4

veils out 2 -> a L input on the cosmix
veils out 4 -> corresponding R input on the cosmix

mult envelopes as appropriate

or if you just want to use 2 channels for disting

disting ex R out into veils input 2

veils out 1 -> a L input on the cosmix
veils out 2 -> corresponding R input on the cosmix

this leaves you with 2 channels of veils which can be used for more interesting things - like modulation!

if you are using up all your channels of veils for vcaing audio - I'd strongly consider a 2nd one that you can use for modulation!!!

-- JimHowell1970

Thanks, that makes sense...technically, I don't know that I "need" to have the stereo out from Disting EX..there is a seperate mono output as well...I have been "playing around" with the stereo output going through Veils and then to Cosmix..but then taking the mono output through FX Aid XL and into a mono input on Cosmix just to play around with adding some 'textured' effects from FX Aid XL to the stereo signal...again just for fun/learning purposes. I also have a Happy Nerding 3X VCA that I could use for that if I really wanted to I suppose. Currently I'm just using the multisample function of Disting EX to play around with drums so I don't really need to use that for stereo at all, but I imagine if I wanted to use some sort of strings or piano or something, that I might want to use stereo at some point

JB

Thank you!!

Inscrumental music for prickly pears.

Hey baltergeist,

This is fantastic, I liked both tracks a lot. Really interesting and experimental.

Keep up the good work and don't forget to share it with us :)

I've been listening some binaural recordings for the last couple of weeks and it got me interested. Browsing the internet for information on mics I landed on the Sennheiser Ambeo Smart Headset which seem to be discounted at 50€ at the moment.

It seems like it works with iOS devices only, but since Bietfriek mentioned the iOS apps I guess this could also be an option, and for that price I'm considering getting a pair myself. I'm not sure what are the advantages of using a recording device instead of a smartphone with this kind of mics, maybe I'm missing something but this seems like a good place to start experimenting with field recording.

for example :
a.n. other stereo module L out into veils input 2
disting ex R out into veils input 3
a.n. other stereo module R out into veils input 4

veils out 2 -> a L input on the cosmix
veils out 4 -> corresponding R input on the cosmix

mult envelopes as appropriate

or if you just want to use 2 channels for disting

disting ex R out into veils input 2

veils out 1 -> a L input on the cosmix
veils out 2 -> corresponding R input on the cosmix

this leaves you with 2 channels of veils which can be used for more interesting things - like modulation!

if you are using up all your channels of veils for vcaing audio - I'd strongly consider a 2nd one that you can use for modulation!!!

@farkas is correct...
if you want stereo use 1&2 for L and 3&4 for R
-- JimHowell1970
Wait, now I'm confused...if i run my stereo out (1&2) from Disting EX into Veils 1&2 Input and Veils 1&2 output to stereo 1&2 input on my Cosmix, that would be stereo all the way to that Cosmix channel, right?

I guess I don't understand what you mean by 1&2 for L and 3&4 for R...are you saying I should go Disting EX stereo out L into Veils 1 and Disting EX stereo out R into Veils 3?...then Veils 1 & 3 into my Cosmix stereo inputs?

JB

Hi,

Did you check the power cable?
Not reversed?
Cheers

@farkas is correct...
if you want stereo use 1&2 for L and 3&4 for R

Is this an original? if so send an email to mutable support - Emilie will sort you out pretty quickly

i can hear some when i run audio trough veils,but no lights and nothing happens when i move the sliders or turn the knobs:(((((

I don’t have Veils, but I believe that would be summed to a mono mix of inputs 1 and 2 on output 2.

i managed to get it working now:)

Thanks @farkas and @Lugia, definitely helps me understand that...

Another question, using the example of Veils (since I have it)..if I go into inputs 1 and 2 with stereo outputs from, say my Disting EX, and then out from just output 2...is that signal stereo or summed to mono, or maybe its just the R channel of stereo signal?

JB

Excellent, thank you !

@garfieldmodular - thank you! Yes, that’s the René mk1 in the bottom row :)

@jb61264 - the Disting Ex is starting to be capable of too many things so I’m thinking of getting another one or maybe two more..at some point :) But seriously, I’d want one for drums alone, another one for everything poly, and a third one for utilities. One day :)
As for the new Poly Exciter algo., in this patch I used one of the built-in tables (sqr wave) as the base and patched the Alizon Devices APC Theremini’s audio out to input 5 on the Ex which I set in the algo’s menu to ‘external exciter’ - when the clean sound is getting distorted, the external exciting is happening. This is where the whole thing gets experimental and I like that a lot. The other three mod inputs (I used the default settings like tone, pressure..) were fed with Rungler output signals from the Benjolin. Modding Poly Exciter, as far as I can hear, can get you to interesing territories.
In this patch the Ex’s L-R stereo outs were patched into the Mimeophon and the Erbe-Verb. Pitch CV and gate to the Ex were arriving from the OP-1, via MI Yarns. In order to be able to fully use the Poly Exciter, you need to copy the exciter table(s) to the SD card - one is available through the Expert Sleepers website, in case you haven’t yet gotten that. There’s a way to create exciter tables/folders but that’s too complicated for me so I work with what’a been available by Expert Sleepers.

Cheers,
Gabor

I am inspired by birth, death and the events inbetween.

https://youtube.com/@aphewgoodman

Good stuff, thanks for turning that dial :) I'm definitely not a sound engineer, Mechanical Engineer actually.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Hi, gang! Now that XODES has come up with these really excellent tile frames, and there's also some other similar devices...could we get a way to add tiles/modules to these, sort of in the same way that the half-height Buchla modules work over in that part of the site. It seems relatively simple (just alter the image/grid layouts so that you can drop tiles in) to implement, which of course is probably totally wrong on my part.

Here's a good example: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/mutable-instruments-veils-2020

If you look at the bottom row of jacks (in the gray box), you'll also see a set of little arrows pointing from one jack to the next. By plugging into the #4 output, you'll get the signals from all four VCAs at that patchpoint. But if you wanted to "split" that module, you can. Let's say you have two different voices that you want to send to a Veils for amplitude control, but you also want to keep the different outputs separate. With "breakable" normalizations like this, you can pull one voice through the first two VCAs by jacking into output #2, as that will break the normalization between #2 and #3 and effectively split the Veil in half so that your other signal's output is on #4, even though you're using just ONE module.

And yes, this appears on other points besides outputs. Have a look at Intellijel's Mixup. On that, you can use inputs 3 and 4 as either stereo (by patching L-R signals into those inputs) OR mono...because there's those same arrows again, and those mean that you CAN use mono signals on 3 and 4 simply by connecting those to the "left" inputs alone. The input normalization does the rest.

DAMN useful! More manufacturers really should jump on this...

I don't have the history you do...not even close...but I'm curious about your comment about E-mu and mostly because I bought one of the XK-6 keyboards twenty years ago, acquired a couple nice ROMs to go with it over time (Techno Synth Construction Yard and Proteus 2000). I've thought about selling the keyboard (too big for the space I have) and getting one of the E-mu modules that has 4 SIMM sockets to use the two extra ROMs but people are asking crazy $ for the ROMs which I can easily use to support my newfound modular addiction :) It would be cool if there was a way to use the ROMs I have as a sample source for my modular setup...plug the ROM into a module and boom, tons of nice sounds
-- jb61264

No can do. E-Mu's modular days began in the early 1970s and went up to the point when the original Audity (not the Proteus variation, but a much more complex device) was being designed c. 1979...when they realized that there's only a few customers for those huge systems. So they started to retool slightly, which is when they dove into digital devices such as the Emulators, the Drumulator, etc. Those have more in common with the XK-6...which, in truth, is a synth that was a product of E-Mu and Ensoniq together after both brands were acquired by a third party in Singapore that was much more interested in computer audio. That's also why you don't see any new E-Mu or Ensoniq stuff anymore, and haven't for many years. Damn shame, really...

In the case of your VCA, you could run a single audio signal into your VCA but use two different envelope shapes to each VCA and then send the outputs to separate effects/filters/etc for stereo treatment, maybe?

It just means that the input is connected to both outputs unless something else is connected to the second input, breaking the “normaling”. For instance, I have the NE Quant Gemi where the first input is normaled to all four outputs allowing me to run the same pitch cv to four oscillators, or I could run the first pitch cv to two oscillators and plug a second pitch cv into the third input and connect outputs 3 and 4 to two more oscillators.

I’m sure it’s been requested before, but would really be a nice addition.