Thread: Small Guy

Any opinions on this small starter rack?

So I'm a keys player, when I compose I choose a key and write chord progressions, etc. Whenever I watch videos of tutorials/performances on modular unit I can never find out how the aspects such as key signature/melodies and other such 'gestures' are inputted. Does that make sense?

I'm looking into MIDI to CV converters for playing a keyboard - but how would I sequence/'capture' what I play in? Or what are the other methods?

I hope this makes sense, I've just been unable to find out how so far.

Ok cool thank you for the advice. I am planning on buying a 104hp 6u rack, I just like the aesthetic of the 3u on here when i have so little modules. I intend to include Tune by 2hp, so along with PNW and Arp, do you think that will enable me to input pitched sequences in selected musical keys? Thats an area that is still mystifying me slightly.

Any opinions on this setup with regards to functionality with ambient music? I'm trying to be realistic with my current budget as i'm not going to be able to spec out a fully versataile unit that is capable of everything straight away.

Also, I feel like this may be a daft question. But is the Row Power essential if I have a powered case?

So I have taken on the constructive criticisms of my first rack and I feel like this may be an improvement?

I will keep Plaits as I do require an oscillator and I love it's versatility, Ears is included so that I can input external audio from contact mics/other synths, etc. Whilst I may consider a MIDI interface for control via my Teenage Engineering OP-1 in the future, I have lef tthat out for now.

Although some said that Rainmaker takes up too much room, after researching it I still want it as part of my system, due to the sound design capabilities. Lofi Junky is also a must have for me.

So other than that, upon becoming aware of my lack of any VCA's or modulation sources - I feel that Maths and Veils would be appropriate. What does anyone else think?

I have left room for other modules in the future such as Yarns/Clouds/Magneto.

Does this appear to be a more functional version of my first post?

Yes a MIDI input module could be a good idea, as I have an OP-1. Although I figured that Ears could be a good way of inputting external audio. Although I'll be honest, I'm suprised to hear some say this wont work - yes I am new to modular, but I've seen quite a few videos on Youtube (Lightbath, etc.) and Instagram of people using small units with similar modulars, and they units generate the warm ambient soundscapes that I wish to.

I don't own anything modular as of yet, it's also going to take me some time to save for one. However I want a modular unit that is small and capable of ambient soundscapes and sound design. Does this unit look appropriate for those needs? Or am I missing anything essential?