Loved it for random sequences etc but recently acquired a Pams New workout and a Malekko Voltage block. Also have Batumi 4x LFO and Disting mk 4 which between them can produce lot's of sequenced and random cv stuff. As I'm running out of space in my rack I am wondering if the Turing and the two expanders are worth keeping or pretty much redundant now. Am I missing something unique about it that the other stuff doesn't cover? Thanks for any advice.

I have a Pam's and it's nice but you can't change parameters easily without menu diving. You do have two CVs you can assign but it's still not "performable".

After starting out with a bunch of everything-and-the-kitchen-sync modules, I am slowly replacing those with singular function modules. Space in the case be damned.

The last module I added was an actual Turing Machine. :)

what is this concept of redundancy?
try thinking outside the box a bit - even if you don't use the TM for generating v/oct, it can be used as a modulation source - or as an extra v/oct source when you get another vco or for transposing another v/oct source (precision adder may be needed) etc etc etc

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

+1 on Jim above...fact is, there's not really any such thing as "redundancy" in modular synthesis. If you have more than one of the same VCO, for example, you can detune one or two of them and the result is a massive, obesely fat sound.

As for the TM, it's still very useful. For one thing, it gives you (when fully implemented) multiple random sources that can be "captured" and looped when you find an interesting bit. And coupled with a few other modules (Ladik's Discriminator immediately comes to mind), you can use the TM to generate random gates depending on the CV outputs' direction of motion. Or you can fire those CVs into some comparators and create an array of random voltages to send gates elsewhere. And on and on...no, I wouldn't lose it, and it's definitely not "redundant". Lots of abuse potential in those TMs...

And coupled with a few other modules (Ladik's Discriminator immediately comes to mind), you can use the TM to generate random gates depending on the CV outputs' direction of motion.

Do you mean Ladik’s “Derivator”, rather than “Discriminator”? I can’t find the latter, but I have the former and it’s great for what you describe.

I have a Pam's and it's nice but you can't change parameters easily without menu diving. You do have two CVs you can assign but it's still not "performable".

After starting out with a bunch of everything-and-the-kitchen-sync modules, I am slowly replacing those with singular function modules. Space in the case be damned.

The last module I added was an actual Turing Machine. :)
-- kokernutz
Thanks. I wanted the Pam's anyway for the master clock and multiple synched outputs. The Voltage block is great for adjusting parameters on the fly and can produce random sequences of different lengths similar to the Turing which is what makes me feel it might not be so useful now.

+1 on Jim above...fact is, there's not really any such thing as "redundancy" in modular synthesis. If you have more than one of the same VCO, for example, you can detune one or two of them and the result is a massive, obesely fat sound.

As for the TM, it's still very useful. For one thing, it gives you (when fully implemented) multiple random sources that can be "captured" and looped when you find an interesting bit. And coupled with a few other modules (Ladik's Discriminator immediately comes to mind), you can use the TM to generate random gates depending on the CV outputs' direction of motion. Or you can fire those CVs into some comparators and create an array of random voltages to send gates elsewhere. And on and on...no, I wouldn't lose it, and it's definitely not "redundant". Lots of abuse potential in those TMs...
-- Lugia

Thanks, still pretty much a novice and haven't got into the more subtle and manipulative aspects of some of my modules yet. Not in a hurry to get rid. I've been adding a few new modules recently and the rack is almost full now. I don't intend getting a bigger rack and wondering if any of them could be moved on to make way for more useful ones. As you all know it's a never ending journey really and requirements change over time as you start to realise what your modules can or can't do.

Pull the Turing Machine out of your case, put it back in the box (you save your boxes, right?), and try to forget about it.

If you don't bother with it for six months... you probably don't need it. If you keep eye-balling the box and thinking about what you might be able to get away with pulling to put the Turing Machine back in... I'd buy another case and create a larger system. :)

Ronin that's a great idea thanks

I don't intend getting a bigger rack
-- david23

no one intends to get a bigger rack, but at some point you realise you need one! and then the floodgates are open

I started with a 6u/72hp case (Bastl Marton) - after less than 6 months there was only 12hp left... & I wanted Maths... but wanted to keep all the modules I already had... simple solution - buy a bigger case - bought a Mantis and Maths... kept the Marton... filled the Mantis within another 6 months and started putting modules in the Marton... then I discovered DIY & Video Synthesis... now about 4 years later, I'm at approx 1500hp - with the rails, ears and 19" rack space for another 12u of 84hp... just need power for it...

I've not bought a case since the Mantis - all have been DIY - including the power supplies - I favour the Befaco Excalibus for that - not the cheapest, but excellent value and pretty resilient - reverse power protection etc

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

If you look through the previous advice from Jim on the Forum, you'll see he has a nice formula for how much of your rack space should be roughly devoted to different types of modules. I found that quite useful as I, like you didn't have a clue what most of these modules could be used for. I understood what an oscillator was, what a filter was and others things like lfos and envelopes. Pretty much what you play with on a soft synth.

Over time I realised I loved sequencers and also learnt that vca's, attenuverters, dividers, multiples, cv mixers etc were really damn useful. There is a use for absolutely everything.

I'd keep the Turing machine and like Jim and Lugia said there are so many other uses for it.

I'd encourage you also to watch this and particularly the last bit of this video ( I watch all of it about once a week and always learn something new) about logic modules and the Turing machine from mylarmelodies you'll want to keep it, I guarantee it :)

Happy patching :)

If you look through the previous advice from Jim on the Forum, you'll see he has a nice formula for how much of your rack space should be roughly devoted to different types of modules. I found that quite useful as I, like you didn't have a clue what most of these modules could be used for. I understood what an oscillator was, what a filter was and others things like lfos and envelopes. Pretty much what you play with on a soft synth.

Over time I realised I loved sequencers and also learnt that vca's, attenuverters, dividers, multiples, cv mixers etc were really damn useful. There is a use for absolutely everything.

I'd keep the Turing machine and like Jim and Lugia said there are so many other uses for it.

I'd encourage you also to watch this and particularly the last bit of this video ( I watch all of it about once a week and always learn something new) about logic modules and the Turing machine from mylarmelodies you'll want to keep it, I guarantee it :)

Happy patching :)
-- greenfly

I'm glad you found/find my ramblings so useful...

yes, I find a lot of value in reading through the previous posts but especially the stuff from you, Lugia and Farkas are great :)

Thanks Greenfly, good advice, I have seen the mylarmelodies one before but it's good to revisit as we progress, often things make more sense. I shall also check out Jim and Lugia's posts too if I can find them. I'm setting myself a challenge/task at the moment to spend some time each day just really delving into one module and seeing what it can do over and above what I have already used it for. Easy to get into a sort of comfortable rut if not careful and miss out on some great features.

I'm trying to find a way to search for Jim's posts and in particular the one about his formula for modules and rack space but I can't find a way to do it. It will take forever scrolling through all the old posts to find it that way. Must be an easy way, any advice welcome please.

I'm trying to find a way to search for Jim's posts and in particular the one about his formula for modules and rack space but I can't find a way to do it. It will take forever scrolling through all the old posts to find it that way. Must be an easy way, any advice welcome please.

-- david23

at the top of the main forum page there is a search field - type my name JimHowell1970 into it and press search - looks like it displays all of the threads I have posted in - to find Lugia's type his name instead of mine

or google - "modulargrid: JimHowell1970"

the relevant part that @greenfly was talking about earlier is:

"sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation (20%+ of the rack) < utilities (at least 30% of the rack)

because you can get much more variation that way

utilities are the inexpensive, dull polish that stop the expensive, shiny modules from tarnishing and makes them shine"

if you want to find other posts etc from me - I'm also Agawell on some forums

also instagram.com/JimHowell1970 if you want to see my video synthesis posts

Cheers Jim, will have another look

I'm trying to find a way to search for Jim's posts

Click on Jims username to go to his profile page.
Down in the right hand column there should be a link Find all forum posts from JimHowell1970

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net

thanks for helping, @modulargrid