Hi folks. Having trouble using the fine tune function on Braids. It doesn't have any effect. I know I had issues at first and needed to go into the fine tuning menu and set the range and it did work then (I think it was at zero which obviously wouldn't work) but I've checked and it's set to 10. Tried it on other range settings but still has no effect. Am I missing part of the procedure for enabling it or what? Any advice much appreciated.

Have you checked in the manual???

If so and it's still giving problems:

If it's an original factory built module then I'd contact Emilie via the mutable support email address on the site... She's incredibly quick to reply and helpful

If it's a clone you've bought - contact the builder...

If it's a clone you built modwiggler has a Music Tech diy subforum that has lots of useful information on troubleshooting mutable builds (but it's a long read over 100 pages iirc)

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

thanks Jim, yes i looked in the manual and it doesn't even cover it. I bought the module used when I first got into modular and so not sure if it's original or clone. It has a black face panel but I think the guy said he changed it to match his other black ones. As I said I did get it working once so it's not a design/build issue. The module works in every other way so it's a puzzle. I might try the Mutable support, cheers for that.

the mutable forum is also worth searching for mutable specific issues...
I'd try that before contacting Emilie first - search works well!!!

Hope you get it sorted out quickly !!!!

fingers crossed...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

thanks again Jim

Couldn't find anything on the Mutable forum on this. I checked the firmware version on my module which is V4.1 which I think is the Bees in the Trees mod. I found an article about this hacked version and this extract refers to fine tuning.

" there are no new capabilities provided except that fine tune no long shares a CV channel with FM, and thus the FTUN setting in Bees-in-the-Trees is not really needed with the new version of Braids (so just ignore it!)."

I don't really understand that statement. It's saying the FTUN setting no longer needed but I guess the fine knob should still work but presumably you don't need to adjust it's settings. These seem to be the range in which the knob works and not whether it is enabled or not. I know I did get it working a while back but have rarely used it since but now I have more VCO's in my rack I want to be able to fine tune it to match them.

maybe try searching modwiggler ...

Got it yeah! I contacted Emilie at Mutable and she said turn Meta off. That took some finding but for anyone else with same problem here it is, go to FMCV in the menu settings and click encoder. You can then scroll through various options. META is one of them and although it wasn't set on, the one you need to set it to is FREQ which activates the fine tune knob. Then click encoder again and scroll to SAVE and click and hold that for a second. It should then activate the fine tune whenever you switch on.
Thanks again to all who suggested things. Happy now!

Emilie rocks!!!

ha, I was tuning my oscillators today and I was having this exact same issue with the fine tune knob. It went through my head to turn meta off after reading the manual and it sorted my issue, then afterwards I've just read this :)