I know this question might be really general, but how would you define the mutable instruments sound? Most of the demos I see seem to focus a lot on ambient. Just want to hear your thoughts!

I have 2x Plaits, Warps and Beads. They are polished and professional. Excellently engineered and sound fantastic. A cut above nearly all other manufacturers. I don’t do ambient.

I was wondering something similar and, along the way, found this nice perhaps more conventional synthy track (only using Plaits):

I'm mulling over using Plaits in my first eurorack build (also with Veils) since it's such a versatile little bugger it seems. I'd eventually like some regular 'ole VCOs too but since I have some integrated analog synths, my thought was I can sort of use their outputs as VCOs for now and Plaits (and Braids for that matter) just seem so darn useful.

I've got rings, plaits, both tides, clouds, streams, stages, branches, links, kinks, Marbles, an original veils, 2 diy veils, 3 diy shades, 2 diy shelves, 2 diy ripples and a few more diy ones in the backlog including elements, frames and a second branches

they are incredibly versatile modules - I've had everything from ambient bells, through heavy metal guitars, to organs from Rings alone - it's really quite impressive what you can do with them - and Emilie is fantastic - excellent customer support!!!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

+1, Jim. The Mutable stuff seems to me to fit into that "no-coast" zone...you can use it for typical subtractive synthesis, then in the next patch you can wander off into West Coast FM craziness. Control modules range from perfectly straightforward to pretty bonkers. Hands down, Mutable Instruments modules are going to be viewed as "classics" in future decades.

this user has left ModularGrid

in addition to what Jim and Lugia mention on Mutable Instruments sound, I would add that it has a very hi fi pristine sound that can be gentle ambient to techno industrial ranges. It records well and can easily create songs and albums. I have a bunch of the modules and really enjoy the huge array of textures and sounds from Beads, Rings, Plaits and Marbles. Plus they provide cool little modular nic nack toys like tops and so forth with each module.

Mutable Instruments modules are going to be viewed as "classics" in future decades.
-- Lugia

So true, I’m Eurorack world we are blessed with many great designers and their innovations, but Emilie is on a whole other level, be it with her designs (I’m a big big fan of Marbles) but also her contributions to the community, empowering others to become great - what a lovely person !

--- Voltage control all the things ---

this user has left ModularGrid

Agree 100% and Mutable Instruments are some of my favorite modules. Marbles is great fun and powerful. I love feeding Plaits into Beads into Rings to Marbles for amazing sound palette. Emilie is a genius creator and really supports the modular community with passion.