Hey all! I've never picked up a soldering iron in my life. I'm a reasonably intelligent guy so I suppose that I could probably figure it out without too much trouble. Thought it might be fun to build a few modules beginning with a Befaco InAmp.
To any of the experienced DIY'ers, would this be a decent project for a beginner? Thanks in advance!
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/befaco-inamp

Hi farkas

build a passive mult 1st - should be cheap and very easy

get a kit for the befaco module - not just panel and pcb - follow the order in the building instructions and you should be ok!

AISynthesis has a lot of beginner material - videos and kit lists - watch these

if you haven't bought a soldering iron yet - seriously consider the hakko fx888 - https://www.hakko.co.uk/product/fx-888d-digital-soldering-station-blue-yellow/ (it's the one I have)
it may be the only soldering iron you ever buy - and has a good variety of tips available in case you need to do smd in the future

other than that get:

solder with lead (pb) in it - it's easier to use as it flows at a lower temperature than lead free and isn't a problem for the small amount of solder that you will probably be doing - and won't cause problems as you won't be selling modules you build for a while at least - buy the thickness that AI recommends - buy a decent amount

desoldering braid - you will make mistakes and once you get the hang of it works really well - better than solder suckers imo

a basic multimeter

side cutters - for trimming leads

a magnifying glass on a stand (maybe a 3rd hand one)

hope this helps
Jim

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I appreciate the guidance, Jim. I'll take all of this into consideration. Thank you.

No Problem - have fun!!! & hope all your builds work first time or are at least easy to troubleshoot

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities