I've been looking at the ES-8 as a replacement for my Focusrite, it seems more convenient to have the audio interface in the rack to save some space on the desk and move easily from one place to another, also sending CV from the computer to the modular would be a plus. However, I'm not sure how this module would work.

What I need is a way to sync and multi-track both external and modular gear with Ableton Live. Right now I'm doing that with a Focusrite audio interface, I just connect the external gear and the modular to the Focusrite inputs, connect it to the computer via USB and listen the main output with the Focusrite headphones or monitor outputs.

As I understand, the ES-8 could be connected to the computer via usb and that would allow me to sync the clock and multi-track from the 4 inputs. What I don't know is if I could use the ES-8 inputs for external gear too or if it works at modular levels only. Also, I'm not sure how I would listen to the main output, can a couple of the outputs on the ES-8 be used for that purpose? can the monitors be connected directly to that outputs? otherwise I could send the main lines to the MakeNoise XOH and use the headphones / line out from there, but I'm not sure if that would work.

The ES-8 is basically a multichannel digital audio interface crammed into a small Eurorack module. As such, it should function just like any other interface, save for the fact that it outputs CV and so forth as it's a DC-coupled device. In fact, some of us (myself included) use standalone DC-coupled interfaces from a number of years back. These would normally be considered "obsolete" for audio (except that they still sound fine), but given that some of them can also pass DC, they work great for this purpose. As for your DAW, it has the CV Tools device for using Ableton with something like an ES-8, MOTU 828 mkii (which I use) and such.

FYI, the smarter way to sync the DAW would be to use CV Tools to SEND clock information, since this will have much more stability than most modules offer. Taking your headphone from the mixer is also fine...it should have the same exact result as whatever's going into the ES-8, etc. But always rely on the most stable source for clocking, in this case the computer.

Thanks Lugia, it's clearer now. I think I was confused by the fact that the Focusrite has also midi in and out, which I use to sync the desktop synth. The ES-8 doesn't have midi ports unless connected to some expanders, so basically with the ES-8 I would also need a module for midi. I guess I'll stick with the Focusrite for now.

If you're on a Mac it's possible to aggregate your audio interfaces together into one big virtual interface. So you could use both the ES-8 and your Focusrite at the same time. Not so much luck with a PC.

FYI consider also ES-3/6 for doing ADAT in/out to any interface that takes it. That basically lets you extend a "normal" interface into the modular domain, rather than having to try to find one box that does everything you want. Also the price on ES3/6 is pretty decent too.