Hi

I've got 24HP left in a particular rack and I want to add some drums. As a drummer myself I'm going to be very focused on something that I can tune and tweak and that will sequence easily through Pam. I'd also like it to be simple for performances i.e able to drop out kick / snare / hats etc on the fly

I don't mind single modules or a complete unit but I can't go above 24hp

Any suggestions?

Sensibly most people suggest to get an external Drum Machine. I'd quite fancy a Drum Brute Impact myself.

I've got a few small sequencers, DNIPRO DOT and Robaux LL8, both very capable, but I've just gone and got a Arturia Beatstep Pro as its way more user-friendly than the LL8 (though Muting isn't quite as easy) its good for other stuff too. The DOT is good for little fills and the in-between percussion bits that can be made to float along as poly-rhythms etc from the 3 channels that have different step counts giving you interesting variety that you don't always need to control.

Personally I'd use Pam's clocks for other stuff rather than trying to sequence Drums & percussion with it.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Thanks for the reply. I've tried the Arturia drum machines and didn't get along with them. I'd like to keep things minimal in one case.

I'm know I can use PAM's for other things but why not use them to sequence everything to a specific tempo where there are multiple units running in polyrhythm?

24hp is not a lot to play with... usually these things just descend into these are the modules I use - so here goes:

maybe a peaks clone to start - it'll give you a kick and a snare - and then something for hats or metallic percussion - I've got plaits and crucible for those and a fss portland - which is fun especially when you dangle it outside the case and stick your fingers in round the back (if you like weird glitchy percussion sounds and squeals) - I've also got an fx aid xl that I keep meaning to reflash with the drum algos on it - mostly so I can use the rimshot and maracas... and an addac vc t-networks (need to finish the build) and a couple of lpgs... and a drm2 mk3 and a circuit bent tr505 - which I can trigger via midi if I want... and that's without patching from scratch - I didn't realise I had quite so many percussion voices!!!

there's nothing wrong with using Pam's for sequencing percussion - as long as you want very robotic sounding drums. and not a lot of interaction... which is fine, if that's what you want!! I use it myself, but I combine it with other things - a zularic repetitor, a dual trigger delay, branches and marbles, a sequential switch, some logic modules, a switched multiple (used as a gate combiner - shock horror) and a ll8ii (once I've rtested my build) (I might need another gate combiner or 2) for instance to humanise and switch it up on the fly and to quickly get other rhythms - I rarely use a straight 4 on the floor rhythm - maybe I'll add another kick in there at some point or a - but then I'm not trying to make straight dance music

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thanks Jim, that's a really useful reply and gives me some modules to explore. Just to add, I've been developing an ambient style random glitch rig alongside this one but this is very specifically for exploring polyrhythms that still lock to a fixed tempo. So for example there could be at any one time 7 different time signatures running, all modulated for colour and character. I guess in some ways like Steve Reich created a number of years ago.. And not dance music.

I've been on a modular journey for a while now, just tweaking and exploring but it's come to me that I want to create certain music I hear in my head that I can't create on other hardware instruments, which is perfect! New music!!!

I'll check out a few of the things you've mentioned and see how I get along

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

For my part, just a 24HP suggestion chosen for playability and adaptability.

Though at that price you could buy a TR-8S, plus premium cables, and even (being 18 years of age or over - and to consume in moderation) a nice selection of beers from our friend Wishbone Brewery ;)

Personally, I did opt for a mix because I think it’s a good solution: external drum machines (including the ADX-1, TR-707, and a DrumBrute Impact that sounds great and is perfectly suited to live performance), with some ‘percussion’ modules of course.

ModularGrid Rack

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).