Hey everyone! Over the last year, my interest in Eurorack has very much changed from preferring unopinionated designs to being much more inspired by the opposite.

With unopinionated designs, I refer to modules that perform their function 'to spec' with the parameters you'd expect to have available (Think Doepfer).

With opinionated designs, I refer to modules where the functionality follows a certain vision of the designer, maybe hiding some parameters, focusing heavily on a subset, or even exposing parameters that you would never consider for that type of module (Think Make Noise).

With that said, I wanted to ask: What are your favorite opinionated modules? What modules change the way you approach your system?

For me, it's Nonlinear Circuits by a landslide. Many of Andrew's designs can be operated within a certain range to perform the way you'd expect, but are completely wild once you leave that territory. Sometimes, this is to the point that you might not even recognize what underlying principal or function they're based on. Some of his modules are tamer than others until you push them, but those seem to be far outnumbered by the absolutely buck wild ones.

If I understand what you mean by 'opinionated design', Data Bender seems to fit. It is a module that can be very soft or very hard, but its opinions are always very personal :)

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

Have you checked out Error Instruments? I've got his Tele Blender (red version) and I'm still trying to figure out what it is supposed to be precisely.

Modular playlist on SoundCloud

Would some granular stuff fit this 'category'? I have MISO Cornflakes and yes it does things you would expect, but you can get into some pretty wild territory with it too...probably the same for other granular modules.

JB

The SOMA lyra effects??

Would some granular stuff fit this 'category'? I have MISO Cornflakes and yes it does things you would expect, but you can get into some pretty wild territory with it too...probably the same for other granular modules.

-- jb61264

Speaking of Granular, and if I'm understanding renken correctly, I think a good comparison might be Morphagene and ADDAC112. They are both Granular modules but they feel very different. The ADDAC is like a supercomputer, it looks and feels analytical, it has a lot more functions and options for CV control, but that also means it can be harder to use. You can get lost with too many options and too many controls. Morphagene feels more like an "instrument" if that makes any sense. It's like some of the decisions you have to make with the ADDAC112 are already made for you by the Morphagene. It is not as capable but it is easier to "play". The ADDAC is a totally blank slate, the Morphagene carries with it some of the designer's artistic vision. And frankly I love them both.

I have had very little opportunity to play with them but right now the "opinionated" modules that interest me the most are from Bizarre Jezabel.

Currently I don't honestly own any "opinionated" hardware unless you count the Moog Mavis. However, I did buy a Poly Beebo just to use the Marbles port on my samplers/synths, and I also use it a lot in VCV Rack. Despite all the options available with computers and other modules, Marbles is just a nice, simple, organized, yet highly distinct way to randomize stuff gently or intensely, and I'm not sick of it it.