Hi there!

I'm considering for quite some time to get into modular and this is the year.

I've been making music on hardware for years, playing live on +/- the same setup, with also some semi modular synth (MS20mini and a DFAM), that i'm now use to control via CV (from an analog four sequencer). I've mangled a bit in VCVrack but can't really get my head wrapped around it (specially because I'm more used to explore with hands on than mouse). I think I got pretty well the basic concepts of a patch.

I make techno, most of the time, with touch of ambiant and IDM, and perform live (when I have gigs so maybe 3 time a year lol). Actually my set up is : TR8 for the classics drums, analogfour, a DFAM, and the octatrack (acting as my mixer, and main sampler). Everything goes down in an OTO boom for that final glue touch.

I already now exactly what I want to do with my future rack:
- I need something to create synth line and texture, no drums at all. Something like you could ear on release on Warm Up or Illegal Alien, or my "dream synth line"
- I want it to be small, portable (as I will add it to my current setup and don't want to carry a truckload)
- I need it to be an improvisation instrument. Something I could set up before a gig and play kind of the same way during a set (no big changes, making it a common story thru the tracks)
- I can integrate the DFAM in it, but it's not necessary

First question that comes in my mind is what size to start, and does the 1U range worth it?
I've oriented myself on something between 86-104Hp/6-7u so here are a few case option:
- Intellijel 7U 104hp stealth case: expensive but apparently well made, really light and portable. If someone has it I would be curious to know what module they put and use in the 1U row? And does the extra bag mandatory to travel?
- This one: https://www.synthesizer.gr/modular-systems-en/eurorack-cases-en/Synthesizer-GR-Hard-Case-98hp-7u%20-en
cheaper, but would I need something like a On/off switch module?
- A custom made, with a Konstant lab PSU and a busboard (around 665€). Around 4-5kg with lid, and I can attach a strap to it to travel. Does that seems heavy, and does the price seems fair?
- The same custom made case with a meanwell but apparently those are cheap, and very limited?

I need advice, because I understand that this is a important choice, and I don't want to have to buy another case in 1 year. If you have any other good, affordable and findable option, let me know!

And last but not least, this is the rack I'm currently planning (of course I expect it to change), if you have any suggestion, let me know: ModularGrid Rack

That's all, thanks for reading!

hmm...

case seems a decent size (ie not tiny) and you seem to have chosen the intellijel case - due to the 1u modules which take advantage of the built in functions of that case... not a bad choice - although I'd always rather have 2 mantises for a similar amount of money - I've never seen the benefit of 1u - I'd always prefer an extra row of 3u (or better 2 of them - ie the extra mantis for the money)

the big thing I see is that the dfam takes up a lot of space (and power) in the rack, when it already has it's own case and power...

this means that there's not a lot of room left in the case for: an extra filter (1 per voice is a good idea), a decent end of chain mixing solution, more vcas (they are really useful for cv as well as audio), sub mixing (or even better matrix mixing of modulation sources to derive more interesting ones - possibly with voltage control), some switches - so you can redirect signals etc

it might be a good idea for you to take a look at my signature and spend some time thinking about it... especially the equation... which tends towards more versatility for less cash...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Hi, thanks for the advices.

I feel like even without an intellijel case, some 1U module a really cheaper and take less space in this format. That's why I'd put it in the case anyway, to have 1U utilities, very basic stuff. It's really much about saving place for me, having another 3U row would mean a bigger, heavier case.

About the DFAM, I would put it in for a while but if I ever needed space, it would be the first to go back to his own shell.

What kind of module you would have in mind about modulation? For an extra filter, I think I would need one after a while (I'll first only get the LIP or the Generate), but I have nothing in mind atm. If you have any suggestion, let me know!

Hi, thanks for the advices.

I feel like even without an intellijel case, some 1U module a really cheaper and take less space in this format. That's why I'd put it in the case anyway, to have 1U utilities, very basic stuff. It's really much about saving place for me, having another 3U row would mean a bigger, heavier case.

as i said for the money I'd rather have 2 mantises... I've never seen anything compelling in 1u or that really takes less space in 3u...

both doepfer and ladik make inexpensive utilities...

About the DFAM, I would put it in for a while but if I ever needed space, it would be the first to go back to his own shell.

seems like a plan...

What kind of module you would have in mind about modulation?

I don't think you have too many modulation sources... get a matrix mixer to create more interesting ones from those in there...

For an extra filter, I think I would need one after a while (I'll first only get the LIP or the Generate), but I have nothing in mind atm. If you have any suggestion, let me know!

find one you like the sound and features of...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

@JimHowell1970 is very kind in responding so often to requests for advice. Really. He's one of the mainstays here now. However, I'm going to take the liberty of contradicting him on one point in particular: this case thing, that... Mantis.

Yes, there's the price of the case and the relationship with the number of HPs available. But a case isn't just that: there's also its overall size, its materials, its solidity, the power supply, whether or not it has 1U rows, whether or not it can be linked, the general style, etc. And it's the same as with the modules, with the way they're choosen. As with modules, there are the technical features, there's also the emotional connection with the whole object, or even a brand.

4 years ago, I hesitated between several models of cases and the Mantis quickly became my first choice, but in the end I opted for Arturia's RackBrutes. This is a personal choice. The most important thing is to feel good about it. And there's nothing chauvinistic, I'm French and I prefer London to Paris. Ah... Wardour Street, Leicester Square, Baker Street, Hyde park, Speakers' Corner, and the best hot dogs in the world (there should be a thread about this)!

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

@JimHowell1970 is very kind in responding so often to requests for advice. Really. He's one of the mainstays here now.

Thanks...

However, I'm going to take the liberty of contradicting him on one point in particular: this case thing, that... Mantis.

discourse is good... but I'm not sure you're actually contradicting me! you just seem to be saying there are other cases out there... which is also good in itself!

Yes, there's the price of the case and the relationship with the number of HPs available. But a case isn't just that: there's also its overall size, its materials, its solidity, the power supply, whether or not it has 1U rows, whether or not it can be linked, the general style, etc. And it's the same as with the modules, with the way they're chosen. As with modules, there are the technical features, there's also the emotional connection with the whole object, or even a brand.

all this is correct... btw the power on the mantis is really very good - I use mine for gen2 lzx modules which are particularly susceptible to noise - you can literally see the noise in the output... and there is none - so these power supplies are clean up into the MHz, not just the KHz that audio uses...

also pretty solid - I've taken mine all over on buses, trains and planes - it's been dropped a couple of times and it's still in oone piece as are all the modules that it's housed...

all I'm saying about the mantis is that it's by far the best bang for buck case based on the combination of price/hp/decent power/manufacturer reputation

no it doesn't have 1u - but please someone show me something in 1u that can't be had in 3u...

and yes they can be linked and by the time you patch the it up you can barely see the case!!! which isn't that bad - and you can always get black these days!

4 years ago, I hesitated between several models of cases and the Mantis quickly became my first choice, but in the end I opted for Arturia's RackBrutes.

yup - I think they're fugly... and they waste space with the rack wart...

This is a personal choice. The most important thing is to feel good about it.

Absolutely... my opinion is mine alone and other people have theirs - obviously at least some of them are wrong - but that's beside the point!!! hehehe

And there's nothing chauvinistic, I'm French and I prefer London to Paris. Ah... Wardour Street, Leicester Square, Baker Street, Hyde park, Speakers' Corner, and the best hot dogs in the world (there should be a thread about this)!

I'm British and I dislike both... Paris kind of wins as at least there's ModularSquare... But then I'm a Northener and intensely dislike the capital-centric attitude of visitors ("I've been to London, so I've been to Britain" ), as I'm sure most people do, who live outside their respective capitals - which is usually the majority of the population

@Trismus For your 1U modules, whatever the brand of rack, you can think of the 1U to 3U format changers from Xodes. Like this one for example: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/xodes-fc313-28hp

@JimHowell1970 London and the few places I've mentioned are linked to so many of my memories of the 70s and 80s. Concerts, studio sessions, meeting all sorts of nice people, and even... camping (in the East London suburbs, because it was cheaper and above all a wonderful vestige of 60's philosophy, cool :)) Having said that, I agree, London, which is an extraordinary city, is not the whole of England. Like Paris, for France, London is 'the eye of the duck', as David Lynch would say: when you look at a duck, you look at its eye, even if it's not the whole duck. I played on stage for the first time in Margate in 1972 (piano, not modular). My heart belongs to Kent.

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

@Trismus For your 1U modules, whatever the brand of rack, you can think of the 1U to 3U format changers from Xodes. Like this one for example: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/xodes-fc313-28hp

I'd also spend some time questioning if 1u is the right format - I've never seen a 1u module that can't be replicated in 3u (and in much less hp) and those xodes adapters, whilst a great idea, take up a lot of space for the functionality they offer, at least in my opinion!

@JimHowell1970 London and the few places I've mentioned are linked to so many of my memories of the 70s and 80s. Concerts, studio sessions, meeting all sorts of nice people, and even... camping (in the East London suburbs, because it was cheaper and above all a wonderful vestige of 60's philosophy, cool :)) Having said that, I agree, London, which is an extraordinary city, is not the whole of England. Like Paris, for France, London is 'the eye of the duck', as David Lynch would say: when you look at a duck, you look at its eye, even if it's not the whole duck. I played on stage for the first time in Margate in 1972 (piano, not modular). My heart belongs to Kent.
-- Sweelinck

yeah - it's all about memories, I tend to like smaller cities, with fewer people in them.. especially at rush hour... but that's possibly got nothing to do with the cities themselves!