Hello,

I'm planning on buying my first modules in the coming months to fill an Happy Ending case from TipTopAudio.
I'm not really looking for anything generative, just a simple rack that offers a wide range of sounds.
I've been doing quite a lot of research and tried to put together some modules that are well known.
This is what I currently came up with : ModularGrid Rack

I've picked up Maths because it's well rated and seems to offer LFOs, effects and more.
Also chose Plaits as a VCO and Pamela as a clock and function module - apparently it can also be used as a quantizer or LFO ?
To fill some gaps I've added an Expert Sleeper at the end.
For the rest of the case I was thinking of something maybe like an Iteritas Alter, a mixer or another small VCA, a multiplier or maybe even a Mutable Instruments module like Beads.

I was also looking into the Polyend Poly 2, as I have a Squarp Pyramid and I thought it could be pretty great to convert MIDI sequencing into different CV outputs to control the rack from the Pyramid. I guess that would require multiple VCOs to birth different sounds, so maybe way later if I'm deeper into modular and want to expend my rack. Again I don't fully know, let me know if I'm completely wrong here.

I know there are surely some mistakes here, maybe I've missed an important type of module, any advices really is welcome.

Thanks for reading !

*Beginner not begginer, sorry..

Hello,

I'm planning on buying my first modules in the coming months to fill an Happy Ending case from TipTopAudio.

why such a small case to start??? you will have filled it before you know it and then end up buying another almost immediately... better to start with something bigger - tip top also make the mantis which is a much better proposition - more space and much better power supply!

you are trying to do too much in too small a space... this is a very common affliction for newbies, don't worry, you'll come to your senses at some point!

I'm not really looking for anything generative, just a simple rack that offers a wide range of sounds.

this size case is too small to hold 3 voices (plaits, plonk and bia) and the modules that are needed to support them... if you really want to stay with the smaller case then reduce the number of voices to 1 - even in the mantis that is 2.5* bigger than this I would only recommend 2 or 3 voices at most!!

I've picked up Maths because it's well rated and seems to offer LFOs, effects and more.

download the 'maths illustrated supplement' - work your way through it until you are bored senseless and then continue doing so - think deeply about the what, how and why of each patch - eventually you may learn something...

Also chose Plaits as a VCO and Pamela as a clock and function module - apparently it can also be used as a quantizer or LFO ?

yes

To fill some gaps I've added an Expert Sleeper at the end.

For the rest of the case I was thinking of something maybe like an Iteritas Alter, a mixer or another small VCA, a multiplier or maybe even a Mutable Instruments module like Beads.

a mixer woul be a really good idea - preferably one bigger than you think you need right now - so that you hae a bit of space to expand

I was also looking into the Polyend Poly 2, as I have a Squarp Pyramid and I thought it could be pretty great to convert MIDI sequencing into different CV outputs to control the rack from the Pyramid. I guess that would require multiple VCOs to birth different sounds, so maybe way later if I'm deeper into modular and want to expend my rack. Again I don't fully know, let me know if I'm completely wrong here.

this is another good reason why you should get a bigger case - if you have the pyramid - some way to utilise it would make a lot of sense - although maybe a mutant brain would be a better option

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thanks for the tips !

I've been looking at the Mantis also, it's true that I had in mind to quickly change to a bigger case after filling this one, you're right that's it may be a better idea to get a two row one now.

I just learned hours ago that the Bialismus is a VCO not an effect centered module - I had heard several times before that it had great effects I just assumed it was mixing not generating - so you're right that it's too much sources for a start. I'll go with the Plaits, probably, even though the Iteritas one looked fun. The Plonk one is just added while messing with my config, it's a module I'll probably buy much later if it stills interests me.

I was heavily leaning on an additional mixer already so that's confirmed.

As for Maths, I looked into the docs yesterday and it ticked several boxes for me. Just checked the link you shared, I will look heavily into it, seems like great infos on the module and on modular in general.

Didn't know about the Mutant Brain, looks like a great alternative !

Would you recommend trying my luck at a DIY case ? I've been thinking about it, could save me a few bucks.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the tips !

NP

I've been looking at the Mantis also, it's true that I had in mind to quickly change to a bigger case after filling this one, you're right that's it may be a better idea to get a two row one now.

people complain about the price of cases... there's nothing to complain about with the Mantis... other than the usual occaissional lemon and trying to put too many high power modules in it - but this is the same with all cases!!!

I just learned hours ago that the Bialismus is a VCO not an effect centered module - I had heard several times before that it had great effects I just assumed it was mixing not generating - so you're right that it's too much sources for a start. I'll go with the Plaits, probably, even though the Iteritas one looked fun. The Plonk one is just added while messing with my config, it's a module I'll probably buy much later if it stills interests me.

yep -always helps to read the manual...

I was heavily leaning on an additional mixer already so that's confirmed.

you'll probably want more than 1 eventually...

As for Maths, I looked into the docs yesterday and it ticked several boxes for me. Just checked the link you shared, I will look heavily into it, seems like great infos on the module and on modular in general.

yes it's pretty much exactly that - a microcosm of modular - learning to patch program a single module then expands to patch programming a whole modular... and may steer you closer to modular synthesis than 'synthesis with modules' if you get what I mean!!! which will lead you to asking every time you see a cool 'new' module - can I patch that (r very close) with what I already have, and if so will it impact the other modules too much?

Didn't know about the Mutant Brain, looks like a great alternative !

there are many alternatives to almost every module!!! nb mutant brain is now made by erica synths - you may also be able to get the exact same functionality outside the rack - cv.ocd

Would you recommend trying my luck at a DIY case ? I've been thinking about it, could save me a few bucks.

I have 8 cases of which 2 were bought, 2 are 19" racks and I built 4 from scratch... if you want something aesthetically pleasing and 'perfect' and are good (and quick) at woodworking, then yes, building a case can save a few quid... but chances are that if this is the case it won't as you'll buy better wood and spend more time and money on finishing it than I did (I bought the cheapest wood I could find and spent nothing on finishing)

my experience as someone who hadn't done any woodworking for 30+ years before building my own cases is: I'm not great at woodworking, but don't really care they are functional and do the job - but that is all!!! did I save a lot? I guesstimate that I just about got 9u 104hp for the price of a mantis... not taking into account time and effort... saying that I did find somewhere that was reasonably priced for rails and insert (often these can be expensive) and I built my own psus/bus boards from kits (befaco excalibus) but mostly they only hold low power analogue modules and/or have a lot of passive modules/space in them - 1 or 2 cases need a 2nd power supply - I use an inexpensive one from frequency central for this - again DIYed - if I had to buy power supplies - I would have got a lot closer to there being no difference - at which point buying a case makes more sense - if it's in the price/size range of a mantis... if I'd had to buy any of the tools I'd also not have saved money - I borrowed a drill and cut the wood at the DIY store I bought it from

in other words you're not going to save a great deal, if anything, building a case - so if you're doing it to save money - and could be doing something better with your time - do that instead and buy the case... unless you like diy and have the saw/drill/soldering kit etc already

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

I don't have much DIY skills at all so it was all about seeing if I can save like 30€ by delegating the different jobs. Case closed then - no pun intended -, I'll go for the Mantis.
I'll keep a note with all your tips and advices.
It was great talking to someone experienced, thank you again.

It was great talking to someone experienced, thank you again.
-- justine404