Yo, Upright! That's a fine looking system but I wonder how long it's gonna take you to realise that you want/need another Moskwa and an Ostankino sequencer controller to run 'em both.

Have you spent much time with the MakeNoise Maths module yet? I've recently started looking seriously at it and would like a honest opinion without the sales pitch, regarding ease-of-use, value-for-money, fun-factor, etc. I've looked at a number of YouTube clips about the module but remain undecided; it takes up a large amount of rack real-estate and the price is not negligable here in the UK.

Yo man....how's it going? :-)

Well about the second Moskwa...I don't think I'd do it because I have a Elektron Analog Four and I use that to get up to 64 steps.

The Moskwa is awesome but I think it's all I need in my system. Althought I would love if the Rate could be modulated. :-)

The Maths is incredible. I want to say this without sounding like a sales pitch but I heard it said somewhere "every system needs a Maths" and this is totally true!

I was a bit intimidated by the Maths initially because frankly there were a lot of terms, discribing it's functionality that I didn't understand during my reasearch. 

I bought it anyway thinking I'd give it a shot and I'm happy to report that once I got my hands on the Maths and started tweeking knobs and reading the manual

things became very clear. All I can say is that it does so much I would NEVER want to be without it.

Hi Man! Everything is grooving along quite nicely with my new Doepfer Dark-Time/Dark-Energy setup, I've just managed to sync everything with my Alesis SR18 Drum Machine but I've never been happy with digital equipment and I can't wait to replace the SR18 with analogue modules.

I'm an 'Old School' synthesizer bloke myself, well used to the classic VCO - VCF - VCA way of thinking, where every module has a specific function and an easy-to-remember acronym or abbreviation which is derived from it's ultimate use within a modular system; ADSR, LFO, RM, Nz, S&H, and the like. These "new fangled" modules such as the MakeNoise Maths or the Intellijel Korgasmatron bloody intimidate me too. Which is why I've sought an independent opinion from someone with personal experience. Ta very much!

I am thinking very seriously about having a Maths module in my system, but it costs more than a Doepfer A-155 Sequencer which must be catered for before I splash out on any MakeNoise gear

Regarding my impending modular system, I've just two hours ago painted my A-100 LCB case a funky blue - the same colour as my car, as it happens - and as soon as I get paid next Friday I'll be ordering my first batch of modules from EMIS and PostModular here in the UK. Whoopee!

My planned initial setup is here: ModularGrid Rack

Thanks for your input, man. I should get around to ordering a Maths module sometime around Christmas this year. Can't ever see me owning a Moskwa, though. They're a bit too expensive for my liking, and if I'm gonna spend that much on an 8-step sequencer I'd rather grab myself an ADC Pattern Sequencer by Fonitronik - or a couple of Pittsburgh Sequencers for the same price. The Moskwa certainly looks the dogs bollocks!

Oh boy...you've got plenty of knowledge so you won't have a problem with the Maths at all. Like I mentioned, as soon as you start patching the module is easy to understand.

I also have a Dark Energy (version II) that I'm using with my modular...it's a ton of fun and sense you have the Dark Time you might be able to go without a sequencer. 

As you can see the 4MS Pedals P.E.G is in my system above,...it's the only module above that I don't have yet....I should be getting it within the next week or two. 

Looks like you've got a great foundation in your system so far....now you've got tons of room to play with. :-)

"Go without a sequencer," you say? Are you a comedian? I'd rather go without a bloody keyboard!

I saw Tangerine Dream on their Rubycon/Ricochet tour in the mid-70's and was hooked on sequencers after hearing what Chris Franke did with 'em. I also saw Pink Floyd on their Animals tour in '77 where they performed the track 'On The Run' from the Dark Side of The Moon album (I'm listening to it ATM, BTW), which contains perhaps the most famous 8-step sequence of all time, using an EMS Synthi AKS. Like I stated earlier, I'm a tiny bit Old School!

My ultimate system would include an Analogue Solutions Oberkorn stand-alone sequencer as well as a plethora of Eurorack CV sequencer modules like the TipTop Audio Z8000 Matrix Sequencer, at least two Pittsburgh Sequencers and maybe even a MakeNoise Rene Cartesian Sequencer, among others. Not to mention the trigger/gate sequencers such as TipTop's Trigger Riot, either (or both) of the Euclidean Sequencers from Rebel Technology, or the upcoming and mind-blowingly monster Doepfer A-157-1 Analogue Trigger Sequencer. Add to this all of the peripheral VCOs, VCFs, VCAs, Envelopes and Drum Modules and your looking at a pretty large modular system and a correspondingly large hole in my bank account.

Talking of rhythm/trigger sequencers, I've just today been in contact with Mickey Delp regarding the purchase of one of his Delptronics Trigger Man modules which should be in my grubby mitts sometime in October. I'll soon by saying 'bye, bye' to the SR-18!

I've just looked up the Elektron Analog Four and it looks real cool!

@FSK1138, the man who apparently owns a couple of Pittsburgh Sequencer modules, but who blithely states that "sequencers are overrated" and continues with the broad assertation that "you can do everything with lfos, adsr, fu[n]ction generaters [sic] and delay" - Surely not! You can't program a specific melodic sequence into the collection of modules you mentioned, unless you want to spend hours patching together an elaborate array of function generators and observing the results on an oscilloscope. The only part of your comment I can agree with is your closing statement.

Keyboards? Who needs 'em?

@FSK1138 Calm down man! I'm not into YouTwitt or MyFace either, and I'm certainly not implying that you can't have an opinion - just that your opinion in this particular instance is unencumbered by recognisable facts. Also, it's patently obvious from your "This Is Real" rig here on ModularGrid that you must be into amelodic "experimental" music. Who here isn't, to some degree? I'm not averse to experimenting in the studio myself, I have a dual trace oscilloscope in the corner of my studio workbench.

As for the eternal "Why am I here?" Good question! It's been puzzling mankind since our ancestors first developed cognitive thought, but I'm sorry, I don't have the answer to that one.

If you mean why am I here on ModularGrid however, the answer is, exactly the same as you! Whether you use chaos theory and a bunch of MakeNoise modules or prefer the classic 'subtractive synthesis' and sequential melodic approach makes no difference, in the long run. We're all here because we love synthesized music and either plan to take, or have recently taken, the plunge into modular systems.

Why haven't you got a MIDI-IN module, guy? It's the only decent use of a MIDI cable, to turn passionless digital data into, polytimbral, multitonal analogue audio vibrations. ... But that's just my opinion.