Hi all,

Been looking to explore the world of modular on a budget that is portable for live events. I just want bare basics of VCO, VCA, VCF, synth, drums and what is needed without breaking the bank. I sketched out a few ideas here on my setups and these cost under 2k but if I can get it to 1k or less that would be even better! Room for add-ons and expansion would be a bonus. I don't want a prefab kit as I want to learn as much as possible on DIY process.

Hmm...a question: by DIY, if you don't mean a full kit (PCB, parts, panel), are you just looking for the PC boards themselves, or...? Or not DIY at all?

Sorry pardon my ignorance as a noob- I mean using a full kit with individual components such as VCO, VCAs, etc versus buying one that is pre packaged from one company.

...instead of a DIY kit, which means that you build the module yourself from directions, a bare PC board, individual electronic components, a panel and controls, and wire the whole mess up yourself with lots of soldering. Right. That's more what 'DIY' means 'round these parts, pilgrim.

OK, enough John Wayne for one day there...basics for under $1000, if possible, and definitely sub-$2000. Can it be done? Mmmmaybe. The initial stumbling block there involves the case and power supply, and while you can 'low-ball' a case, trying to go cheap on power components is a BAD idea. Power components can cause lots of damage if they fail, depending on how they fail. And current capacity is important, because you want to exceed the draw caused by the modules by enough headroom to assure that the power supply isn't overtaxed, which can lead to component failure and such. Also, one neglected bit here are power distro boards. Having filtering on the distribution rails is critical, as it helps reduce induced crud and noise on the rails as well as potential crosstalk between modules connected to it.

Right now, the best start-up case value is probably Arturia's Rackbrute 3U, which gives you a nice one-row cab with 88 hp (83 after their power supply goes in) and a consistently well-built power supply with ample amperage capacity for that single row. So, let's build with that.

Next, you'll need sources. These are the various 'generators' that output raw audio signals at the head of the chain. One is OK...but two is better, because there's a lot that can be done by syncing, crossmodulating, and detuning them against each other to achieve useful results beyond what most single VCOs can do. However, what I suggest is a fairly complex VCO as one, and something simpler as the other; this gives you a 'voice' VCO and a 'modulation' VCO, which works well in the way I mentioned above. Follow this with a mixer to combine the signals, but also add in a ring modulator so that the VCOs can be combined to create complex sum-and-difference sideband FM, if desired (if? hell, you'll desire it, no doubt!). That's the 'generator' stage.

Then we head into 'modifiers', things which alter timbral complexity and impose amplitude changes. Namely, filters, waveshapers, and VCAs. For a starting cab, one VCF with some interesting tricks is fine, as is a simple waveshaper. As for VCAs, though...this will find you wanting multiple VCAs, because some of these have uses for controlling control amplitudes as well as audio. Plus, if you can throw in a mixer, bonus. All easily done, as you'll see...

Next comes modulation sources, the 'controllers': LFOs and envelopes, plus a few other bits of trickery. Not many of these are needed for something this simple, but they're definitely key to making this work. And after that, 'processors', which includes any effects and the final mixer and output stage.

Basically, that's the block arrangement for ANY synthesizer: generator feeds modifier, both controlled by controllers and the results sent to the final processor. Any synth built along the 'classic' lines follows this simple four-part scheme. Granted, there's variations...but at the most basic level, these are the four parts that makes a synth a synth. For now, I'm going to leave drums and sequencing (sources and controllers respectively, fyi) out of this little build just to make the point clear and give you a good basic suggestion that follows the above narrative...so bear with me whilst I put my builder hat on...
ModularGrid Rack
Voila! Now, this is really basic, and while I couldn't bring it under $1000, it does come in at just under $2000 ($1923, to be exact, at normal retail prices).

If you look, this one-row synth is laid out exactly like the above example, with a couple of extra bits, those being a slew limiter (to allow glide-type effects for the VCO, VCF, or whatever shifting voltage you might want to smooth. It also only has an output stage, since the intent of the Quad VCA is to split the unit up into a couple of individual VCAs for control purposes, and a couple of others as a 2-channel VCA mixer, which then feeds directly to the output at the far right. This build here is a prime example of a very simple monosynth in Eurorack form: 2 VCOs, ring mod, waveshaper, VCF, 4 VCAs, 2 LFOs, 2 envelope generators (loopable), an output and a slew limiter, plus necessary mixing and attenuation for manipulating signal combinatins and levels. All you'd need to play this would be a keyboard that outputs CV and gate/trigger, such as Arturia's $119 Keystep, which also gives you a sequencer.

So, this is how a beginning one-row should look: these 'blocks', this sort of signal-flow (which happens when you follow a cohesive build pattern, instead of dropping modules in aimlessly), and so on. Your results may vary, of course, likely depending on which case size you opt to go with and what power supply seems right for it. My suggestion with those, however, would be to not do what I did here, and jam the rack out tightly from end to end. Instead, you should start with a bigger rack, because as you accumulate modules, ideas will present themselves as to how to expand those modules' capabilities, and then you'll need that extra room to expand these new modules into, as suggested by those ideas.

Also...take your time. More time spent with a resource like MG will allow you to examine all possibilities and refine your build before spending a cent, and that'll help when it does come time to drop some cash. Study other users' racks. See what works...and what clearly doesn't. Get your idea clearly fixed before you take the plunge with the Magic Plastic.

...instead of a DIY kit, which means that you build the module yourself from directions, a bare PC board, individual electronic components, a panel and controls, and wire the whole mess up yourself with lots of soldering. Right. That's more what 'DIY' means 'round these parts, pilgrim.

Gotcha! No worries, I saw some folks online who build their cases, fabricate modules from scratch on bare PC boards but that is way beyond my technical ability I am more a music guy than an electronics engineer :-)

OK, enough John Wayne for one day there...basics for under $1000, if possible, and definitely sub-$2000. Can it be done? Mmmmaybe. The initial stumbling block there involves the case and power supply, and while you can 'Also, one neglected bit here are power distro boards. Having filtering on the distribution rails is critical, as it helps reduce induced crud and noise on the rails as well as potential crosstalk between modules connected to it.

Understand I will make sure the case and power supply are rock solid.

Right now, the best start-up case value is probably Arturia's Rackbrute 3U, which gives you a nice one-row cab with 88 hp (83 after their power supply goes in) and a consistently well-built power supply with ample amperage capacity for that single row. So, let's build with that.

Cool yeah these look nice as well as the 6U versions. Also looking at the Make Noise 3U 104HP Skiff case and power supply.

Next, you'll need sources. These are the various 'generators' that output raw audio signals at the head of the chain. One is OK...but two is better, because there's a lot that can be done by syncing, crossmodulating, and detuning them against each other to achieve useful results beyond what most single VCOs can do. However, what I suggest is a fairly complex VCO as one, and something simpler as the other; this gives you a 'voice' VCO and a 'modulation' VCO, which works well in the way I mentioned above. Follow this with a mixer to combine the signals, but also add in a ring modulator so that the VCOs can be combined to create complex sum-and-difference sideband FM, if desired (if? hell, you'll desire it, no doubt!). That's the 'generator' stage.

So at minimum 2 VCO modules, one basic and one multi functional like those from Make Noise and Doepfer right?

Then we head into 'modifiers', things which alter timbral complexity and impose amplitude changes. Namely, filters, waveshapers, and VCAs. For a starting cab, one VCF with some interesting tricks is fine, as is a simple waveshaper. As for VCAs, though...this will find you wanting multiple VCAs, because some of these have uses for controlling control amplitudes as well as audio. Plus, if you can throw in a mixer, bonus. All easily done, as you'll see...

Yeah my Eurorack buddy here told me you can never have enough VCAs so thinking 3-4 to start will be helpful.

Next comes modulation sources, the 'controllers': LFOs and envelopes, plus a few other bits of trickery. Not many of these are needed for something this simple, but they're definitely key to making this work. And after that, 'processors', which includes any effects and the final mixer and output stage.

A combo LFO envelop would save space and could work to start with.

Basically, that's the block arrangement for ANY synthesizer: generator feeds modifier, both controlled by > ModularGrid Rack
Voila! Now, this is really basic, and while I couldn't bring it under $1000, it does come in at just under $2000 ($1923, to be exact, at normal retail prices).

Cool beans! Thanks for the walk through. I am playing around different builds and also using the VCV Rack open source software to learn the basics on patching different modules together before spending cash.

If you look, this one-row synth is laid out exactly like the above example, with a couple of extra bits, those being a slew limiter This build here : 2 VCOs, ring mod, waveshaper, VCF, 4 VCAs, 2 LFOs, 2 envelope generators (loopable), an output and a slew limiter, plus necessary mixing and attenuation for manipulating signal combinatins and levels. All you'd need to play this would be a keyboard that outputs CV and gate/trigger, such as Arturia's $119 Keystep, which also gives you a sequencer.

Yeah I am planning to pickup a Keystep or BSP with Korg SQ-1 sequencer possibly for controlling the Eurorack gear. Also looking into Elektron Octatrack for helping sample the output of the Eurorack modules. Analog Rytm for the drum synth and also to help manage analog gear but need to do more research on this.

So, this is how a beginning one-row should look: these 'blocks', this sort of signal-flow (which happens when you follow a cohesive build pattern, instead of dropping modules in aimlessly), and so on.

Rad far out man thanks! I have some time working with my home analog Moog Sub 37 and MicroKorg synths so not completely lost on what these gears do but isolating them in purity will teach me way more about how to do real synthesis as a learning experience and addicting albeit expensive hobby!

Also...take your time. More time spent with a resource like MG will allow you to examine all possibilities and
-- Lugia

Thank you Lugia you are awesome and I do appreciate you patience in helping a complete noob like myself on this path. Agree- better to research, learn, test before dropping cash.

Lugia, that's a really useful explanation and reference system.

As a noob who is just thinking about starting modular, my approach will be to start with a semi-modular and then add modules as I develop ideas about what I want to do. After the semi-modular and the case/power supply, I expect that my first purchase will be an Expert Sleepers Disting because it can be used for so many functions.

I have also noticed that there are a lot of really cool sequencers for Eurorack, but initially I think it will be more practical (economical) to use a variety of apps on an iPad to send MIDI to a MIDI-CV converter in the system.

My other advice to fellow Eurocurious is to try the free VCV Rack on a computer to learn about modular.

@Velocipede808 @Lugia,

Yeah a simple tabletop modular unit like the Moog Mother 32, Erica Synths Pico II, or Make Noise 0-COAST Semi-modular Analog Synthesizer paired up with a Keystep would be the easiest low coast journey into modular to learn how to create patches before dropping large amounts of cash. Also try out Softube a good idea paired with VCV Rack. For me, since I am not independently wealthy will probably head down that route at first.

I know guys that have 20-50k in a few Eurorack modules! And I thought that Elektron gear was expensive.

Mixxalot: Yep, when you're talking about a small build like this, put in a more complex source as the 'primary' generator and then something simpler as a 'secondary', so that it can both serve as an LF-thru-audio modulation source for the primary as well as a second source to mix with the primary to fatten up the signal. Interestingly, since the Titan outputs an appropriate waveform from both outputs for sync use, you could theoretically use it for both a signal source AND as a modulation component for the Plaits simultaneously. True, the Plaits doesn't have sync as such, but there are functions on it that can make use of that audio-frequency sharp-rise waveform for some interesting results. But another crazy-as-hell VCO that fits that slot and which CAN use sync is Doepfer's A-110-6, which is their full-featured TZFM VCO, and that would make for an excellent and purely analog 'primary' as well.

And yeah, this stuff costs real money. But at the same time, that money buys you the ability to step out of normal sound creation methods, which tends to be worth the cash outlay. When you start getting up into the bigger builds, also, you gradually enter into areas where prebuilt synths simply don't go...again, quite worth the money.

As for interesting cabs out there that combine solid builds, good power supplies, and decent pricing, Arturia, MakeNoise, Tiptop and Erica are putting out cabs that're killing it on all fronts, IMHO. In fact, Erica's 126 hp cabs have become a recent fave for larger builds I'm speculating about, along with the Arturia Rackbrute 6U for tandemming with their revised Microbrutes. Either are super choices, with the Erica being awesome for standalone, and the Arturia combo really kicking ass if going with a patchable + modular. Either one seems to be a good choice, it just depends on where you want to go with this craziness! And actually, Velocipede808...you might benefit from something like the latter; have a look at the Minibrute 2S, then consider a Rackbrute 6U on top of that as a unitized and portable setup. It's cost-effective (the 2S is only $649 street!) and seems like it might be where you're aiming for.

Yeah I love the sounds of the Make Noise and Erica Synths gear. Plus Erika customer support is great they replied with answers to my questions on how to order gear as most of it is not even available in the USA since they are based in Latvia! I am leaning toward getting started with a MN 0coast, Dreadbox Erebus, or Moog Mother 32 table top semi modular to learn how patching works and avoid spending a small fortune to learn the basics. Then thinking of stepping up to a kit that has the basic modules from Erica Synths like their cool Fusion Drone or Black Polivoks modular system that has the case, power and core modules all ready to go. That would save me headaches learning as a newbie and not go broke. I priced out the Erica Synths package at about 2k USD and the Make Noise package also has one at 2k and a bigger setup the Black and Gold at 4500 so if I was to put a kit together as a newbie probably would go this route to make things easier. I read that having all the same type and brand of a setup as a beginner is wise in terms of troubleshooting issues and support.

Let's see if I can finish this without accidentally closing the wrong tab this time...

Anyway, it can be a help to have everything by the same company...except for that moment when you see something done by another firm that's improved on the functionality that's only dealt with in basic terms by your 'primary' firm. That's why the 'mix-n-match' method works and is so prevalent. But there's nothing wrong with keeping most of your modules under one firm's label. In fact, if you opt for companies that have long track records, extensive lines of products, and a big user base, that tends to be a good indicator of a firm that's suitable for being a 'primary'

But at the same time, there's also excellent companies that have small lines because they work along certain specialties. Take Shakmat Modular, for example; most of their very short line deals with clock-based issues, and that's a great indicator of a company that knows their stuff about that particular peculiarity of modular synthesis. Another example: Audio Damage, who concentrates mainly in audio processing modules...same idea. When you see a concentration like that, again, you tend to be dealing with a company that knows their stuff and which opts to specialize instead of going full-spectrum on their product line. Also, look for 'discontinued' modules that have been replaced with majorly-improved version; when you see a lot of that, again, that's a company that keeps pushing what they can accomplish with their products and also, a company that's both likely to be listening to its user base and striving to push the hardware envelope as components and technology improve. Mutable Instruments, with their discontinuation of the much-used Braids to give us the majorly upgraded and downsized/downpriced Plaits, is a great example of this in action.

As for Erica, they're truly the Latvian Voodoo Masters of the Black Art (hence the module color scheme? hmmmm...) of International Air Shipping. Their stuff is bang-up, especially their Pico 3 hp modules, the frequent tube models, and their powered cabs. MakeNoise's Tony Rolando's probably got Don Buchla tied up in his basement, too...the obituary was just a cover story, natch...because he's pushing many of those classic West Coast ideas off into wild zones. Either are kickass places to start with a prebuild, because you'll be getting something from firms with great support, and people running the show who know their stuff. But if I were going to go with a patchable...oh, wait, I probably AM...to match with a small modular expander cab, I'm gonna have to go with an Arturia rig. After all, they've got Yves Usson giving them a leg-up, and the form factor they cooked up with the Minibrute 2 + Rackbrute, with its portability...it's hard to argue against that! Plus, aside of the (cough, cough) Origin, Arturia gets things right and they're available at your local Circle-K (well...almost) like Roland, et al. The stuff I have from them gets used here, and it doesn't screw up. I like that.

Yeah I am planning to try these out and see what works best for me. I like the packaged
deal for 1k that includes the Arturia Minibrute 2s plus a Eurorack 6u case and power supply along with plenty of patch cables.

That said, the ultra portable Erica Synths PICO II looks cool but it is expensive for a tiny
modular synth and having microscopic knobs with patch cables would be messy so I'd
probably want a full system with some Erica components.

Make Noise- I am thinking of getting the desktop semi modular 0-Coast synth to see
if I like the way they do things. My only complaint is how difficult it is to read their
routing and non traditional way of doing things. Before I commit to a bunch of their modules
I'd want to see if I can work with their funky way of doing things compared to other
Eurorack modular companies.

The Mutable Instrument stuff looks cool as well and lot of folks have some of their items.
Same can be said for Intellijel.

My goal is a darker sound that has elements of hardcore industrial, house and psy-trance
as that is the voice I am looking for in the music I create.

For sequencing/sampling purposes, I am looking also at getting something like
an Elektron Octatrack or Arturia Beatstep. Elektron gear is expensive but superb.
I have some time using a friend's Machine Drum and love the workflow.

I think having an external portable master brain that can serve as a mobile DJ type device
as well as sample and manage the modular gear would be cool.

Have to admit, I find the MakeNoise panel art confusing and hard to follow as well. Fortunately, you can get panels from Grayscale that precisely replace the MakeNoise ones and which provide a much clearer user interface. Yep, they have the 0-coast, too. While you will have to do the replacement yourself (unless you have access to a tech who can do the swap for you), Grayscale's directions are quite clear.

Also, two other 'brains' you might want to look at are the Squarp Pyramid mkii and Kilpatrick's Carbon. Similar in style to the Elektron stuff, but way more powerful. Squarp also has a Eurorack variant of the Pyramid, the Hermod. Neither do sampling, however...but as sequencers that are capable of storing and running multiple sets, they're excellent.

Plus, there's a really cool device that Elektron came up with recently for audio wreckage, the Analog Heat. Like typical Elektron stuff, it's a bit spendy...but for 'grit factor', it's more than capable of getting the nastier industrial sounds right.

I am reading the Make Noise Manual and it helps understand the 0coast much easier. I did order one today along with Volca Beats and an Elektron Octatrack to sequence and sample all my gear without a laptop and DAW. Thanks for the tips as always Lugia!

Thinking of the Werkstatt Moog next as it is under $200 and a fun kit and some good training with bare minimals of VCA, VCO, filter and envelope generators. I think a combo setup with Moog Mother 32 and the mini 60HP rack would be great way to dig into modular on a budget after I learn the Elektron and 0Coast.

Couple of ways you could approach that Werkstatt, also...either you'll also need the add-on 3.5mm jack expander to connect it into the Eurorack environment...

...or, more sick and twistedly, have a peek at two Bastl devices, neither of which are too expensive considering their capabilities: the bitRanger and the SoftPop. Now, these use the same Dupont pin connectivity as a stock Werkstatt, but when combined with the Moog, you get this frightening yowl/screech/growl monster...perfect for industrial!

Another item that looks neat is the portable Birdkids the Bateleur modular rig! The Plankton ANTS! modular looks pretty interesting as well. I think that would give me portable modular to learn more patching before spending 5-10k on a full blown 7-9U 200HP setup.

Couple of ways you could approach that Werkstatt, also...either you'll also need the add-on 3.5mm jack expander to connect it into the Eurorack environment...

...or, more sick and twistedly, have a peek at two Bastl devices, neither of which are too expensive considering their capabilities: the bitRanger and the SoftPop. Now, these use the same Dupont pin connectivity as a stock Werkstatt, but when combined with the Moog, you get this frightening yowl/screech/growl monster...perfect for industrial!
-- Lugia

Gosh darnit Lugia, quit helping me spend my cash :-) just kidding.
Yeah! Those Bastl devices look amazing for a portable modular rig. Very tempting indeed! Pair two of these with the Birdkids and Ant and have a night of mayhem. I need to hit Perfect Circle Audio in LA to try out a bunch of this cool gear since the stores in San Diego suck bad and never have any modular gear.

Mmm...if you're going to spend Birdkids-type money, check the Soundmachines Modulor 114. That + Ants! = trouble! You could have that going nuts, then have the Dupont-pin setup freaking out, run it all off of a hardware sequencer and when you're done for the night, the whole mes could still fit into a suitably-portable roadcase with a mixer. That, plus a modular cab that can be sealed up case-like, and you've got a whole arsenal of problematic sound to go with one case for one hand and the other for another. Not too shabby!

Cool thanks for the tip as always Lugia! Yeah I will check these out. Right now I think with the new Elektron Octatrack and Make Noise O-Coast gear I should be busy for a while getting both these sorted out. Heck tonite, I made new discoveries on the Moog Sub 37 that I've been using for a while

The filter one knob makes a world of difference in crafting sounds and effects on a synth! Incredible such a simple thing is critical to sound production. I also learned how valuable LFOs are to sound engineering. One reason I want to learn modular and build a Eurorack system is to better develop my real synthesis skills and knowledge. I also find the two tabletop analog semi modular units
from Dreadbox- the Erebus and NYX fascinating. What are your thoughts on the Dreadbox gear?

In any case, do you still think the Moog Werkstatt self assembly item is worth getting? It looks cool for under $200.

Dreadbox does some interesting stuff...their Greek-lettered modules are amazing, sort of akin to the Roland Aira Eurorack modules done correctly, all inherent flaws fixed. I also like their cab design for their bigger prebuilt systems, with utility modules included as an integral part of the cab itself. Reminds me a bit of what Synthesizers.com came up with with the Box11 5U cases that include built-in mults and power harnesses, or the 1U row in the middle of MakeNoise's Shared System. I wouldn't mind seeing more of this idea, actually...having basics such as mults, attenuators, basic mixers, etc as integral modules provided in some cabs (small portables, especially!).

Werkstatt? Yeah...remember, it's got that infamous Moog ladder LPF in it, and that alone is worth the price of admission. Even if you just used the Werkstatt as a processing filter, you'd still be getting your money's worth of use.

Nice yeah I think I want to pick up the Dreadbox Erebus and Ants as my next modular purchases along with the two Bastl devices. I probably want to sell my Moog Sub 37 and Microkorg as these are taking up a lot of desktop space and I need more portable gear. That should fund these items.

Careful...if you sell items, make sure and consider possible future functionality first. In the case of the Sub37, that has a lot that can function well in the direction you're heading. But the Microkorg....not so much so, as it doesn't have the level of connectivity (either physical or sonic) with this new 'universe' as the Moog does. Plus, if the concern is desk space, then it's time to think about a small keyboard stand to move devices onto if they belong there.

But at the same time, there's a sneaky lesson in here as to how a rig starts to grow in size. So also consider the physical expansion factor. You may well wind up beyond the 'all-in-one-bag' result...but the thing to do if that happens (by necessity) is not to try and retrench in the small form factor, but how to grow sensibly into the larger one.

Also, this is the start of where inventiveness plays a big part in a rig's ergonomics. How do you make system growth result in an easier-to-use result, rather than something that's just...well, bigger? For that, I would consider looking at some concepts related to larger UI design and operation; airplane cockpits are a good analogy, as they also consist of numerous indicators and controls, all of which may come into use at any given time. And frankly, this just keeps expanding in scale from that 'seed', since an electronic music studio isn't necessarily as bound to acoustic isolation, massive mix positions, etc as a commercial studio would be. My studio, at this point in time, sort of looks like some sort of industrial process control room, albeit with a mixer and studio monitoring...but then, that makes perfect sense, since composing and performing electronic music on a larger scale is very much like 'process control'.

Don't look at this as 'work', though....just consider it as another part of a 'creative jigsaw puzzle'.

Agree I will keep the Moog and sell the Korg. Probably add another small desk and ditch the futon which I am not using.