Hi,

I made a track combining intense sounds made by the Animoog app played through morphagene. Subsequent 37 CV bas and Waldorf NW-1 Lead.

The idea is that the viewer follow the wandering mind of the musician, on an exploration wherever the sounds may go.

Hi Wedoh,

Wow, that's fantastic! I want more of that :-)

How and with what did you patch that NW-1 from Waldorf?

Kind regards, Garfield Modular.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Wedoh,

Wow, that's fantastic! I want more of that :-)

How and with what did you patch that NW-1 from Waldorf?

Kind regards, Garfield Modular.
-- GarfieldModular

Hi GarfieldModular!

Thanks a lot! I appreciate your nice comment!

I actually made the patch like a long time ago, I just recently decided to make a video for it. So I am afraid I don't remember exactly what I did anymore.. However, I most often patch the NW-1 into Belgrad, using some low pass filter with pretty much res. And in this case I think I patched it into my VCA and controlled that with stages using a 6 stage envelope. And out from the VCA into Tapographic Delay with custom taps and high res and modulation later on in the track.
Belgrad was probably modulated by the output of Stages "stages". And so was probably also the NW-1.

What I like to do with the NW-1 is to find a subtle wavetable and set the key track to 50%, then I attenuate spectrum and brilliance and manipulate them manually during the performance. These days I instead use a Zadar and leet it solely modulate the NW-1.

At least that's my guess because that's what I usually do :-). But generally I don't reson very much, I use som initial logic when I patch guessing what might work, and then I just listen to my intuition and what I like or not.

Hi Wedoh,

Yeah... Xaoc devices, I have a few modules of them, not the Belgrad and Zadar though but will keep them in mind, especially the Belgrad. Once I listened to your music and sent you my previous message, you motivated me with your music to play around with my NW1 and though I managed to get some interesting and nice sounds out of it, not so nice/beautiful as you manage to do that with the NW1. So thanks a lot for your information, I will have another look at it and see what I can manage to get out of the NW1 :-)

I put the NW1's output through the spring reverb (Stingray2) of Intellijel, also quite nice, missing a delay module though, so I need to look into that.

Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Wedoh,

Yeah... Xaoc devices, I have a few modules of them, not the Belgrad and Zadar though but will keep them in mind, especially the Belgrad. Once I listened to your music and sent you my previous message, you motivated me with your music to play around with my NW1 and though I managed to get some interesting and nice sounds out of it, not so nice/beautiful as you manage to do that with the NW1. So thanks a lot for your information, I will have another look at it and see what I can manage to get out of the NW1 :-)

I put the NW1's output through the spring reverb (Stingray2) of Intellijel, also quite nice, missing a delay module though, so I need to look into that.

Kind regards, Garfield.
-- GarfieldModular

Thank you very much Garfield!
I do enjoy the NW-1. Do you have anything recorded that i could listen to with the Stingray? Sounds like an awsome combo!
At first i did not get the NW-1 to work for me. But some twiddling made me found a sweet spot.

This is what ill do
- Change the start position for the wavetable to around 12 o clock, or find a sweetspot
- Set scale to middle
- Change keyboard tracking to like 50%
- Dampen some spectrum and brilliance
- And try out the higher number wavetables, like wavetable "22".

Change prime settings like that and you will notice it starts drifting without any pitch CV or modulation inputs. From there you can do allkind of crazy stuff with modulation. You can play the NW-1 through pitch, noise and simple travel/position modulation, without any pitch CV! :-) And when you run out of wavetables, you can always make your own.

The sound is so rich, so sending it into effect processors really make harmonics going. Something reeeeally cool is to send the NW-1 into Mutable instriments "Clouds". And play with the settings. Make it really drone´y.
Here this Soundcloud link for an example of that.

Hi Wedoh,

Thanks a lot for your help in let me understand the NW1 :-) The Drifting through Space, is that made by you? It's a nice slow, droney one! I still don't get it how you can make it so slow?

Meanwhile I got a bit more out of the NW1, I also followed up on your suggestions, nice results indeed but that real slow output I can't get it, how you manage to do that?

I am using the Erica Synths Octasource outputs for modulating the NW1 (all CVs, currently modulating the Tune, Travel and Position). I get fantastic kind of science fiction sounds (kind of 1980's ;-) ) out of it but not that nice slow movement you can manage to get out of it.

I don't have the Mutable Instruments Clouds though, seems to be discontinued product, do you know if there is any successor module for the Clouds? Can the Clouds make it sounds so slow/droney?

Regarding the Intellijel Springray2, I got the small and the medium tank, both hidden back in my Doepfer low cost casing. The small tank can be at sometimes a bit "rough" :-) Whereby the medium tank is good in case you want to have it a slightly bit subtler. Tonight again let the NW1 run through the Springray2 and indeed that sounds good and thick if you want; lot of ways to configure (using the 6 knobs) the Springray2 from very subtle to not subtle at all :-)

My recording options are a bit limited at the moment. I try not to use my computer, I use it professionally already extensively and that's enough for me, one of the reasons I went for modular! :-) I could record it with the Erica Synths Sample Drum, wav format. Do you know if it's possible to send you a wav file via personal message within this website?

Kind regards, Garfield.