TL:DR would you replace Xaoc Sarajewo with something? Comments about the rack?

For some time now, I've felt my larger modular system gives me so much possibilities to tweak sounds in all sort of manners that it's hard not to get stuck minding over the minute details of a patch. This coincides with a feeling that it would be nice to have a more portable system.

Summer's on it's way and I'm moving temporarily to a much smaller apartment, and I've been devising a smaller 104hp setup to keep me company. The goal of this rack is to have a self-contained system with depth to sequence voices in unorthodox manner, for instance, I love just intonation tuning, so a sequencer / voices with easily changeable temperament is a must.

Some notes about the setup: ER-301 is used as a flexible mixer with some DSP applications. Just Friends used interchangeably as an envelope / LFO / or additional voices when I need them. 1U Multi-FX is only included because the plate reverb emulation is one of the best I have heard, instant ambience generator.

What I'm mostly unsure about and would love feedback about is the Xaoc Sarajewo. I've heard so much great things about it, but it's hard to justify the space in such a tight setup for a mono delay. Any other clock syncable delays that would fit? Chronoblob 2? Experiences with one or both of them you can share?

ModularGrid Rack

Hi Turbosleep,

I have some very basic replies:

-- the "big rack / small rack" setup IMO works really well. Big rack gives big possibilities; small rack is portable and helps focus. I've heard a bunch of other people (incl. working musicians) take a similar approach. So you have a lot of company in this line of thinking.

-- that said, the 104hp setup above MAY be too confining? For me a 9U 84HP setup (Deopfer case) is very portable, small enough to be focused, but big enough to give some room for a variety of modules. Your question about Sarajewo and "hard to justify the space in such a tight setup" may indicate your build would be better served with a bigger case? Hence if you haven't already committed to a case, I suggest you view more other small to mid-size builds to try to zero in on sizing that gives the right balance of small yet inspiring for you.

Good luck!

Nicholas

-- Hence if you haven't already committed to a case, I suggest you view more other small to mid-size builds to try to zero in on sizing that gives the right balance of small yet inspiring for you.

-- nickgreenberg

Thanks for the good points. This actually hit the nail on the head. I've been mulling over a suitable case for a while and going between this palette or a 6U Frap Tools plus -setup and haven't made a solid decision yet.

It's difficult, for instance 6U 84hp system would open a lot of possibilities to have an additional envelope/LFO and VCA. In this current plan if I want to use Just Friends as a voice I'm lacking an envelope (thus there are a couple 1U LPGs to control voices with just triggers, but it's less flexible). But I'm kind of worried to open the floodgates with a bigger system and hoarding too much everything to keep the system coherent and mobile.

There's clearly still some thinking to do!

-turbo