Thread: First Rack

This is allready planned out quiet good and versatile... but will this be a NiftyCase or actually a wooden Box - because in that case it misses the Power Supply.

Seems like a good thought out Case - what it just seems to miss is a proper Filter.

Hi ADR, All,

Thanks a lot for that link, good to know it's coming! ...And now it's waiting till it becomes available ;-)

Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Just wanted to update with my current arrangement and ask again for feedback:

ModularGrid Rack

Main changes:
- Changed Erbe-Verb for Desmodus Versio. Similar CV-reverb functions but smaller.
- Worked Plaits in. Didn't feel right leaving it out.

I'm more than happy with:
- Sound Sources (Elements, Tides, Plaits, 1U VCO, External Audio Input, Noise Tools, Ripples, Desmodus Versio)
- Modulation Sources (Tides, Batumi, Stages, 1U VCO, Plaits, and plenty of audio-rate options)
- Primary Sequencing & Quantizing (Marbles, Bard Quartet, Steppy, Stages)

Main concerns:
- Still could use a more experienced eye on the "plumbing." Do I have a good balance of utilities, routing, switches, VCAs, attenuverters, CV control, mixing, etc?
- Do you see obvious blind spots or weaknesses in this setup? "Day-to-day" problems that will be frustrating?
- Is there anything that YOU would really miss having in my proposed system?

NICU on YouTube
NICUmusic on Instagram
For my baby daughter Luna who fought very hard to be here

this user has left ModularGrid

you are welcome, love the STMix for small cases.

The Happy Nerding 4x Stereo Mix is pretty good if you don't mind the dual knobs - https://happynerding.com/category/4x-st-mixer/

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

You have the Palette top on your 7U rack, but the 7U performance case doesn't have that. I don't know if that's a mistake or you're trying to fix it in another way. If it's a mistake, you'll need to add the multis into the normal 1U or 3U racks.
-- Arrandan

Hah! Thanks for bringing that to my attention - it was a total mistake / misunderstanding on my part. You are correct, I need to remove that row on top. Unfortunately that loses a bit of utility - mainly the buffered mults. Luckily, I almost never find myself using buffered mults in my system (just stackables and 1->5 hubs) so I can probably survive without replacing them.

Again thanks for the pointer, if you hadn't brought it to my attention that would have been a seriously unwelcome surprise when the case arrived at my house.

NICU on YouTube
NICUmusic on Instagram

Awesome. Thanks sacguy71. Looks like a great little mixer. Perfect for what I’m looking for now.

PS: this was the initial 104HP rack I drafted, with exactly 24 active modules.

ModularGrid Rack

Price is obviously very different!

Hi users!

Last year I built a 62HP travel case, mostly thanks to your help. My project was to move around Europe with it - and I did mostly! Now that I'm almost broke, I'm planing to live on a pond (yes, ON a pond) where electric consumption will be very limited. And I believe low income + low electricity makes for an interesting challenge!

The idea is to limit myself to the current 62HP case I have and add an ARP 2600 + a DFAM (this one is a maybe). I've encountered a lot of difficulty building my current rack as I realized very late that it could fill no more than 12 modules, which prevented me to stack a lot of 4HP modules that I was planning to buy. Yesterday I came up with the opposite idea: fill the case with bigger modules (9 or 10) and drill a hole for (2-3) more modules to be mounted on a custom rack. Then, throw in as many passive utilities as possible (attenuators, fixed filters and LPGs).

I know nothing of power consumption, I don't even know if a 104HP palette would consume more power than a 62HP with the same modules inside. Maybe it would be simpler to trade my case but as I said, I'd prefer to focus on buying the few modules I miss and its size is still way easier to travel with (the ARP will stay on the boat but I'll still be able to travel with the case).

Now the rack:

ModularGrid Rack

It's centered around the Harmonaig that feeds the 3 oscillators of the ARP while the Ornament is set in sequencer mode. Pamela mostly provides synced LFOs to be fed to the S&H then RE comparator and/or Ruissellement). The Ochd is fed to passive attenuators and provide variations a bit of everywhere. The gates of Ruissellement are fed into JF in volley mode (clocked bursts) that can be routed to the DFAM trigger and/or the ARP VCAs. I added the Sarajewo here but I don't own it and it's expensive, so I'd be happy to replace it with "anything" and I'll use an FX AID (that I do own) in the meantime.

The bottom row is the external case!

In terms of cost, this is ok: I own most of the modules already, apart from the Harmonaig, the Ruissellement,the Sarajewo and some of the very inexpensive passive modules). But do you see any possible ameliorations? If the drill is a good idea of course

Thanks for reading :)

You have the Palette top on your 7U rack, but the 7U performance case doesn't have that. I don't know if that's a mistake or you're trying to fix it in another way. If it's a mistake, you'll need to add the multis into the normal 1U or 3U racks.

Modular playlist on SoundCloud

Rings is a classic :) I believe that Elements does not have as much polyphony as Rings - something about 40% of the processor being devoted to the Exciter modeling, so less power for polyphony in the resonator. Don't quote me lol.

So, can you give me any further recommendations about utilities or sound modifiers in my rack?
I do think that the sound sources, modulation sources are definitely covered.

NICU on YouTube
NICUmusic on Instagram

no rings?

looks good though

some utilities would flesh it out nicely... happy nerding 3*MIA perhaps and maybe a second veils... for starters
-- JimHowell1970

Thanks Jim! As I understand it, the "Resonator" side of the Elements module covers a lot of what Rings can do, so I figured I'd leave out the rings (with space as tight as it is I don't think I need the overlap)

iirc there's a ringified elements firmware... but I'm not sure if it has the psuedo-polyphony of rings - I don't have elements, so I'm not sure if you can use it as an effect... I do like my Rings though!

To me it feels like there's a pretty broad range of mixing / attenuverting / VCAs in this system - but I've always worked with semimodular until now, so I may be underestimating the amount of utility needed for fully-modular from-scratch patching...

see my signature for some ideas/hints related to this...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

no rings?

looks good though

some utilities would flesh it out nicely... happy nerding 3*MIA perhaps and maybe a second veils... for starters
-- JimHowell1970

Thanks Jim! As I understand it, the "Resonator" side of the Elements module covers a lot of what Rings can do, so I figured I'd leave out the rings (with space as tight as it is I don't think I need the overlap)

To me it feels like there's a pretty broad range of mixing / attenuverting / VCAs in this system - but I've always worked with semimodular until now, so I may be underestimating the amount of utility needed for fully-modular from-scratch patching...

Definitely please keep the feedback coming. Although I feel I've mostly avoided the classic "nothing but sexy sound source modules" mistake, I still feel like "something" obvious is missing - but hard to put my finger on it.

NICU on YouTube
NICUmusic on Instagram

no rings?

looks good though

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

I have the Befaco STMix in one of my smaller cases and love it. Here is some info:
https://www.befaco.org/stmix/

Such a great 4 channel small mixer.

Thanks for reading. I have a very specific philosophy for this next rack and could use your best feedback. Some "Elements" are non-negotiable as you will see, but within the rules of the system I still have a ton of room for changes & feedback. Please, give me your very best advice & experience on this one. It is still early in the design.

Here's a link to my current proposed setup (note, active work in progress):
ModularGrid Rack

Project Origin: Like so many of us, Mutable Instruments had a lifechanging impact on me. The Elements module is second only to the Mother-32 in its personal importance. With Mutable's production shutting down, it's time for me to build my Mutable Instruments dream system with Elements as a centerpiece to honor Emilie, modular synthesis, and create a highly-expressive & hands-on musical instrument with a strongly-unified aesthetic & philosophy.

Rack Theme: Saying goodbye to Mutable with a boundaryless all-silver system that deeply embraces the modular ethos, absolutely self-contained when necessary and portable within 7U case for outdoor & field recording at times.

Case: Intellijel 7U Performance Silver

System Philosophy:

1) Embrace of giving up rigid control and embrace of interacting with the system as an ecosystem.
When I sit to play, I do best with a low-planning, high-exploring feel. (Obviously a system this deep rewards advance planning of patches - but I'm shooting for "immediacy" of building new patches in the moment with minimal advance planning)

2) Extremely tactile & visual. As close as possible to "1 knob per function, and 1 function per knob."
Menu diving EXTREMELY frowned-on and must be exceptionally well-justified. A piano or violin doesn't have any menu-diving. We're trying to avoid building a computer here. I want to see (and touch) what I'm doing.

3) As boundaryless as possible in honor to Emilie.
Lack of clear-cut "this module is for THIS and that module is for THAT." A focus on highly-mutable modules that can serve multiple purposes, but ALWAYS without violating Rules 1 and 2. Nothing overloaded or menu-divey, I don't enjoy it at all.

4) Able to interact with the environment.
I use a beautiful Audio-Technica stereo field mic and will occasionally be piping it into the system as a live soundsource.

5) Bonus: Some sort of tactile interface for the performer.
Like Rule 4, but may not fit in the case, and I can live without it.

Color Scheme: All-silver, absolutely non-negotiable lol :)

Type of music: I am absolutely omnivorous in this regard, so I look forward to taking what the system gives me. Intention is to create a beautiful color pallet and a clean, simple easel to apply it across, then see where the day takes me.

Non-negotiable modules:
- Mutable Instruments Elements
- Mutable Instruments Tides
- Mutable Instruments Veils
- Mutable Instruments Stages
- Mutable Instruments Blinds
- Mutable Instruments Frames
- Mutable Instruments Beads
- Mutable Instruments Marbles

Semi-negotiable modules:
- 1U Intellijel Stereo Line In (BUT I need a way to get live stereo field-recordings into the system. Usually I have an external stereo mixer or preamp available, but to keep it all in the system, maybe a stereo pre-amp module instead?)
- 1U Intellijel Headphones (BUT I want a clean & simple way to listen directly on headphones without more hardware)
- Mutable Instruments Ripples (I don't have any particular attachment to it, but obviously it's a compact and well-designed filter that fits the aesthetic)

Here's a link to the basic "Non-Negotiable" modules in a single rack (though again, both of the 1Us are replaceable as long as their functions above are covered by a replacement module):
ModularGrid Rack

Note - all module positions are negotiable, and I'm interested to hear your reasoning about the positions.

Thanks so much for your time.

NICU on YouTube
NICUmusic on Instagram

(français plus bas)
Hello gang, In this one we just explore the Basimilus Iteritas Alter of Noise Engineering, . BIA is a complex oscillator mostly used for percussion works, but you'll see that we can even pretend to be Michael Jackson :D happy watching.

Français :
Bonjour gang, Dans celui-ci, nous explorons simplement le Basimilus Iteritas Alter de l'ingénierie du bruit,. BIA est un oscillateur complexe principalement utilisé pour les percussions, mais vous verrez que nous pouvons même prétendre être Michael Jackson :D bon visionnage

Thread: Bug Report

Having an ongoing issue with racks randomly rearranging modules when I try to modify it. I'll have an existing rack, add a new module, move a module to a different location, or delete a module. The rack will look okay at first, but if I refresh the page, or leave and come back, a random number of modules will randomly change location. I usually notice this first because the rack layout looks wrong when I go back to the Command Center.

Usually this will result in modules stacked on top of each other in the rack, and I'll have to move a whole lot of modules to find the "missing" ones. The more I move the modules (trying to correct this problem and put everything back) the worse it gets. Sometimes this happens when I add a new module, instead of going to the first open space where it will fit, it ends up on top of or underneath an existing module.

I also notice that when I move modules, the "space indicator" will sometimes ignore one or more existing modules. If I move a module 8hp away from the one next to it, it will not always show that 8hp gap, but the indicator will instead show a larger gap pointing to a module farther over.

Using the latest Chrome on Windows 7 and Windows 10; this has recurred through multiple versions of Chrome.

I've built a number of their modules, and like them. Good board layout, good power budgeting, and of course interesting sonic qualities. And their route master power supply is beefy enough for a complex rig.

Thank you friends. You comments are, as always, super helpful. Much food for thought! Is amazing the amount of knowledge there is here in the community.

On/Off by PH Modular. Christian's email is on the Modular Grid page. I have one of these modules and love it. It's good for modules with displays, but without screen savers, to save them from burn-in.
-- milkmilklemonade

Thanks!

Tried to buy a 2hp hat from @didierpriem , the module was lost in the mail and didier stopped replying to messages about a week ago. Starting to lose faith :(

Well, let's see...
ModularGrid Rack
Went with sacguy's case suggestion. This uses a 7U x 104 hp Intellijel cab. And because of that, your MIDI, inputs, and outputs can go to the cab's built-in jacks, making things a bit less chaotic.

ROW: Audio in on the right. Then there's the MIDI interface, followed by Intellijel's Noise Tools tile for master clocking, sample-and-hold, noise, and the like. The QuadrATT next to that gives you an extra set of attenuverters, DC-coupled mixing for CV/mod signals, or as a mixer for audio. The little black tile after it is a Takaab dual LPG so that you can have that to add percussives, and that's followed by an Intellijel Stereo VCA for CV control over output levels. And then the output tile is right after that.

TOP: Plaits. Then the VCO next to it is a NANO Ona, which gives you a voicing akin to the SH-101 and its suboscillator. Then the Schlappi Angle Grinder is a VCO/processor that's got a nasty, distorted sound that really lends itself to hard acid tracks. And if that's not enough crazy timbral fun, I put in a Joranalogue FLD6 which is a six-stage wavefolder that can take two VCOs on its own (or one Plaits if you use the AUX out). Veils follows to allow VCA control over four audio sources, then the matching VCF for the Ona by G-Storm. The other VCF is also G-Storm's doing, a module based on the SSM filters in Korg's Delta and their Poly 61. The Doepfer stereo mixer then lets you control levels out of the filters as well as setting up a stereo signal for the Beads, which is Mutable's follow-up to their Clouds module. Then the Stasis Leak and the Purrtronics Purrvrrb both have the mono-in/stereo-out architecture for pairing with the Tex-Mix's AUX send/returns.

BOTTOM: The little sliver to the left is one of Konstant Labs' PWRchekrs so that you can easily keep an eye on your DC rail health. Then there's the Pam's, and that's followed by Doepfer's little quad LFO so that you have some free-running LFOs to add in with the rest of the mod sources. The CVable LFOs are in the 4ms Quad Pingable LFO, meaning that they can be "tap clocked" by hand or by another trig/gate, and they have ridiculously LONG wave cycle times, the sort of thing that you could use one cycle that's the length of one track to do some "global modulation". Then there's a Maths, and my fave little modulation manipulation core, a Frap 321 mixer/attenuverter/DC offset source and a Happy Nerding 3xVCA. Those allow you to take existing modulation signals and combine them in some rather elaborate ways that can go beyond typical setups that have no such manipulation core. I put in a Quadrax/Qx for more generally-unusual modulation sources beyond the typical envelope generator. A Doepfer Dual ASDR after that gives two "normal" ADSR envelopes. And lastly, the Tex-Mix...this has four mono input channels along with the Tex-Mix master. The Tex-Mix is something I picked up on thanks to Jim...and if you're happy about having just VCA control over the input levels, this will be perfect. And as mentioned earlier, the Tex-Mix has the mono send/stereo returns that both the Stasis Leak and Purrvrrb like to see. It also has your headphone preamp for quiet practicing.

I used my past experiences in the 1990s rave scene to cook this one up. The ability to mangle any or all of the VCO sources also pushes that acid direction really heavily, for one thing. Plus, this is set up with "subsystems" like the modulation manipulation core, so no one module has to do everything on its own.

Now, as for the 0-Coast...what I would suggest is to get the 0-Ctrl and the Strega, then combine them into a stand like this: https://reverb.com/item/39263230-3dwaves-triple-tier-stands-for-the-make-noise-0-coast-0-ctrl-strega-semi-modular-synthesizers That way, you can treat them as a single instrument that can also be crossconnected with the Eurorack and which costs way less than anything else with the word "Easel" in the name. Sounds like a real great deal, IMHO!

On/Off by PH Modular. Christian's email is on the Modular Grid page. I have one of these modules and love it. It's good for modules with displays, but without screen savers, to save them from burn-in.

yeah the problem with that, though, is there'd be power headers floating around loose in the back of the case...

-- JimHowell1970

True...if you just leave 'em there. It should be easy enough, though, to take the other five pigtails, coil them up tightly with a zip-tie, and put that where it won't be a problem if you need to pull the switches. But my instinct tells me that there's probably more than just one point where a backplane controller like that would be warranted. Would be nice to have some "secret settings", after all...

+1 on Jim's comment. Put that M32 back in its case and on its own power, and use the resulting 60 hp hole to add modules that don't have a case and don't have their own power supply. You could also jettison the mults (use inline ones or stackcables) and you really don't have any need here for...TWO buffered mults? Anyway, you don't have enough CV destinations that require regeneration to keep the tuning stable over several VCOs (that you don't have here).

There's also a lurking problem in this...and that's an attempt to do another "modular drum machine" via the Blk Noir. However, you don't exactly have a proper trig/gate sequencer in here to set up patterns on. With the lack of that, the expense of the Blk Noir really becomes questionable...and becomes even more questionable when you've got a situation where you can get TWO machines (I'm thinking the RD-8 mkii and RD-9) for less than that one Endorphin. Then all you need is a clock pulse off of the modular to drive the machines, and you wind up with a far superior percussion complement controlled by interfaces that are intended for drum machines. And frankly, if you want a CR-68/78 sound, Delptronics makes their LDB-2 module pair, which is also based around that electro-style sound. With their version of the same idea, you wind up with a cost of only $320 and both the "voice" and "control" module together only take up 12 hp.

There seems to be this misapprehension that big and costly = the perfect solution. Nuh-uh. What "big" gets you is a lack of space in smaller builds, and "costly" just sneaks into your wallet and makes you pay twice as much for the "sexy" modules when they're not actually the best solution.

Or you could just as easily snag one of these nondedicated switch modules that Ladik's got. SIX toggle switches, already drilled and equipped with proper pigtails for connection to most anything. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ladik-p-060-switches-

But it's got six switches! So, yeah...you can easily use the other five for any "hidden functions" that might be on any of your other modules.
-- Lugia

yeah the problem with that, though, is there'd be power headers floating around loose in the back of the case...

Funny...I've been getting a bit more jazzed about Frequency Central's stuff as of late. They make some great Boolean logic modules, some with CV control, and I still think that their Stasis Leak FX module is a real contender versus the FX Aid XL. Lots of abuse potential with their stuff...

Or you could just as easily snag one of these nondedicated switch modules that Ladik's got. SIX toggle switches, already drilled and equipped with proper pigtails for connection to most anything. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ladik-p-060-switches-

But it's got six switches! So, yeah...you can easily use the other five for any "hidden functions" that might be on any of your other modules.

Check this out: https://www.musicradar.com/news/korg-nts-2-oscilloscope

-- farkas

Very, very odd. Typical Volca users won't get much out of this, so it's confusing as to why the NT-1's followup is an o-scope. Not saying it's not useful, mind you...just odd.

Could it possibly be...a LIMITED EDITION from Korg? Only 100,000 units made! Comes in its own road case made from recycled Pringle's cans! Secret product leaks from Yanni!

Frankly, if Korg wanted to put out something useful that fits in with their other patchable gear (which actually doesn't fit in with anything, anyway...the MS-20(mini) uses linear CV scaling and negative gate/triggers akin to Moog's S-Trigger on their modules), they might consider a little box that contains all of the stuff they left off of the 2600M. You know...the stuff that Uli knew to leave IN the synth that was in the 3620 keyboard that...well...2600M users don't get.

take mom out... then you have plenty of room...

Case is almost full and am thinking would like one of the last 2 8hp slots in the rack to add a second mixer. Perhaps something that doubles as an attenuverter. Had eyes on the Erogenous Tones Levit8, but can't quite squeeze it in.

Anyone have any suggestion? Thanks!

My experience: buy a decent drum machine/sampler and focus your modular for a specific task rather than viewing it as a jack of all trades.

Here are some tips:

1/ get an Intellijel 7u case
2/ Endorphin.es Queen of Pentacles, Black Noire, or VPME Quad Drum for percussion
3/ Quad VCA from Intellijel
4/ Winter Eloquencer sequencer- thank me later
5/ Instruo Divkid 0chd for modulation
6/ Happy Nerding FX Aid for effects
7/ Intellijel Quadrax with expander for creative envelope generator
8/ Intellijel 1u Quadratt for mixer/attenuator/attenuverter

That will get you in the ballpark.

There is also the Sketchy Labs Freak Shift (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-freak-shift-), which doesn't possess an internal oscillator but which allows you to use to use any external signal from 0.1 Hz to 10000 Hz to drive the shifter. I have this and love it.

A fun little module from Frequency Central, their Volts Plats, a Roland 100M 132 based audio and CV Mixer.
Very quick build, and good result. Use it simply as a mixer, or do some overdriving and other interesting things.
Volts Platz build

have you seen the mylarmelodies video on how to build a small techno system on YouTube???

ok makes sense - sorry don't know anything that can do this elegantly - I'd probably go for either the vpme.de pwr & a 1hp gap (not big enough really for other things to fall through) to thread the ribbon through or a separate power supply with a wall wart, or a separate case (a 4ms pod maybe) or try to find a replacement for the 112 would be my suggestions...

another option might be to find a builder who will build you the switch - you'd only need to be able to switch the +/-ve 12v - so doable on a single dptd toggle switch - ignore the 5v and hardwire the ground... parts are under 10GBP/EUR/USD including a panel (the switch and the panel being by far the most expensive parts) - no need for a pcb - a bit of perfboard would do it... probably someone would build you one for 20 or so... maybe try modwiggler music tech subforum (there's a list of builders in the stickies - you might find one locally) or on r/synthdiy here

tbh the hardest part is the drilling of the panel for the hole to mount the switch!

Hello,

I would like to design a modular system oriented techno hardcore. I already own the make noise 0-coast, Math, Plait, Veils and Links from Mutable Instrument. If you have any advice of additional modules...
Thank you

-- farkas

Awesome! That's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping existed when I started this thread. I'm keeping an eye on that one! The Mordax Data still sounds like a great option but it's a bit of a commitment at 16HP.

Thanks for replying,

The reason is because: I have a Addac 112. And it tends to crash quite often. When this happens I have to restart the entire case. This is… not ideal when I’m performing!

not sure I've seen anything that'll do this...

which leads to the simple question of why?

if it's because of inrush overload, I'd look for a softstart dongle - iirc wmd make (or made one)

if it's 'power conservation' most single modules don't use that much power... and it won't make a great difference to the cost of running a modular if at all...

Hello!

I am looking for a module that would allow switching power on and off individually for a module in a case.

The idea is to be able to turn off one module without needing to power the entire case off.

I'm aware of the VPME p0wr, but I'm wondering if anything else exists (ideally with the two connectors facing the inside of the case and only the switch on the outside).

Thanks and happy patching everyone :)

The Xaoc one appears to be stereo too!

Just saw this new thing: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/xaoc-devices-koszalin

And that's interesting. Now you've got THREE manufacturers (Behringer, Doepfer and now Xaoc) that are offering new Bode frequency shifters, with prices from $100 to $450-ish. This is good to see, because frequency shifters are another source of useful sounds. One method would be to use a slight detuning with a tiny touch of random modulation to create HUGE doubled phaser or flanger effects. But there's tons of others, and it's great to see these at prices that aren't four-figure sums!

"I'll have to re-consider my direction."

Annnnd...welcome to Eurorack! It's not necessarily the easiest thing to navigate with around 10,000 modules on the market or discontinued. Expect to make a number of adjustments and tinkers on your build...and even when you think it's done, c'est voila, it's not. Really brings home the concept that you NEVER get to retire from music...you can quit, or you can keep going, and that's about it. Just consider the reworkings to be learning experiences...new possible ideas for grouping module functions, the use of some esoteric signal chain bits, and the like. Take your time, and you'll be AMAZED at the end result.

Looked into some of these myself recently -- I'd be all about the Feedback Modules one, I had an FM module a while back and was pleasantly surprised by how high quality the thing was, and the price is not bad at all -- but it was just too big for my system. So I went first with a Blue Lantern Sir-Mix-A-Lot (the full size one) and then more recently the Cosmotronic Cosmix you have pictured.

The Sir-Mix-A-Lot was actually pretty great -- six channels, two stereo aux send/returns, applicable per channel with global attenuators as well, mute switches -- it's a great bang for the buck. Couldn't really be overdriven, but I never noticed any channel bleed or anything like that; enjoyed my time with it.

However, it is also an extremely cramped panel/UI and was cutting into precious HP, so when I found a good deal on a Cosmix I traded for that. The good: much cleaner UI/panel layout -- it's nice to be able to just visually see where the sliders are at, vs. a bunch of same-y knobs; clickless mute switches (I didn't notice much clicking on the BL mute switches either, but the Cosmix are definitely true clickless); optional "drive" for a little more saturated gain/color; good sound quality and handles overdrive better than the BL; two stereo inputs. The bad: I really do miss the dual aux stereo send/returns on the Sir-Mix-A-Lot, especially as I have more and more stereo modules. The Cosmix has one mono aux out only. If that doesn't bother you though, it's a solid pick.

Love my Mordax Data and the developer responds to questions. I want another one for my other case.