You've said it yourself: put the SV-1b back in its case, because it's skewing your decisions, unless you commit to a larger case. If you don't, you risk saying to yourself six months from now, "Why did I let this push me around?".

I think ATN8 is going to be too small and fiddly (it may prove difficult to use in practice), and I would suggest separating attenuversion and mixing in your mind (but not necessarily in what you purchase, just don't make the combo a priority). Nearness is a start but mine took three months to arrive, be warned. You might consider Hyrlo and/or Doepfer A138s for mixing. There are lots of other possibilities. On the attenuversion side, 3xMIA, Frap Tools 321, and again many other possibilities.

If you're using the VB regularly, then stick with it until you can build a compelling argument otherwise.

ModularGrid Rack

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for a bit of advice on my rack as it’s slowly filling up and I want to get some opinions before I buy anything else!

I sequence using an iPad, using the modular to create semi-generative textural / rhythmic loops before adding some bits and pieces in ableton.

I Haven’t yet got the 2VCA, nearness, NIN, ATN8 or the A133-2. Looking to pick up the nearness and 2VCA or the doepfer next. Also I have a typhoon instead of beads which I’m looking to swap (sadly at the expense of the typhoons stereo VCAs and gain knobs which I use for output gain control). There’s 10hp leftover in this layout and I’m open to suggestions on what that could be filled with - and also things I could potentially swap out to gain back some hp if needed!

Which leads me to the Voltage Block and ATN8...ATN8 seems like a good deal both hp and cost wise but I’m wondering whether to go for a stereo mixer/attenuator with a smaller footprint? After swapping typhoon for beads and losing its stereo output gain knob I have reservations about using 2 fiddly knobs on the ATN8 to control EOC output. But I do like the flexibility it offers and it would be nice to have some cv mixing capability. Plus it’s more future proof if I end up swapping out the lifeforms. The VB gets used in every patch - but I wonder if swapping it for a NE mimetic digitalis is a better choice for a case this size.

Also, I know I could put the lifeforms back in its box and save a bunch of hp, but it’s so much more convenient and portable having it in the case! Long term I may replace with a different osc/filter/env combo, but it’s staying for now.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

A Clock O’Pawn clock source from Shakmat, Good tool to have available in your studio. Good BPM knob, as well as external clock and tap tempo. Also allows connection to MIDI, which is useful.
Quick build for an experienced builder.
Recommended.
Clock O'Pawn clock source build and demo

Looks awesome. Intuitive and powerful!

Ceiling. Definitely the ceiling...and a pile of carriage bolts.

or floor - I currently have 3 cases on my living room floor and a video monitor on the coffee table!!!

More seriously, if you're going to have an audio input, you'll also want it to output envelope signals. Have a look at Doepfer's A-119, which is pretty much the standard for these. Not only do you get the necessary preamp, you also get an envelope follower AND a comparator. The comparator sends a gate when the input level exceeds a certain threshold, and the envelope follower does pretty much what it sounds like: it extracts level information from the inputted signal and then converts the amplitude variations as a control voltage...which, if you run the audio signal through a VCF and then use the envelope follower to control the VCF's cutoff, giving you your original sound but with this synced-up filter sweep imposed on it.
-- Lugia

whilst I completely agree with the need for both envelope follower and comparator for external inputs - it might be useful to point out that there's a 1/2 decent envelope/pich follower algo in disting - and kinks will do the comparator - so if they're not needed all the time - maybe these will suffice...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

looks ok to me

I don't see a lot of duplication - the 3 doepfer vcos can be combined into a 3 osc sound source, beads can also be used as a delay... so I wouldn't worry about that... I imagine you are using plaits for hats - I do this too quite a lot, but I find it needs a - but I'd probably add something for that - to free up plaits for different duties

missing utilities - yes - that's where I would add things, instead of removing things - options are good, more options is better - & it's usually what gets ignored - especially when buying a reasonable number of modules in a short time - they may seem boring, as they don't make or alter sound - but they are essential for plumbing - see my signature!

some more sub-mixers: a couple for the triple doepfers, 1 for the standard doepfer, 1 for tides - to mix waveforms etc, 1 for percussion - so that all percussion is on either a single mono or stereo channel - so maybe a panning mixer, if you want stereo percussion

a matrix mixer or 2: mix 4 copied modulation sources - get 4 more complex, yet related, modulation signals out, send/return, feedback etc

maybe a stereo mixer: mix stereo sources - beads, blades etc - then either send those to the roland mixer - that way you only take up 2 channels for all the stereo sources

more vcas: you can never have too many of these - I'd add more cascading ones - always useful - another veils perhaps...

a sequential switch: so you can switch things about over time - the a-151 is fine and reasonably priced

maybe a stages - very versatile, not only for modulation, which you possibly have enough of, but also sample and hold and trigger/gate delays - but you could always just add these as separate modules (yes I see you have a sample and hold in kinks - excellent module - but more will always be a bonus)

I'd also be tempted to add a fx aid xl - extremely versatile - Igor is a star for adding more and more algorithms... there are now filters and drum algos as well as the plethora of delay and reverb effects & not to forget lofi settings and bit reduction!

I could easily fill another 6u with these - but I'd spread them out...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

I tried to go that small, the fact is it's just not workable or possible. For me, the magic size was (2) 6U Rackbrutes, which I've since modded with intellijel tps80's, ventilation. PM-DB25 connections, USB port for Flux, and so on. The 89hp per row just works for layout and module sizes, and the 76mm depth meant that I could run whatever I needed or wanted.
-- Vow3ll

Hey Vow3ll...i would be really interested in the mods you did to your Rackbrute 6Us. I have a 6U and a 3U currently filled up and will be buying another 6U soon to run 6Us side by side...with the 3U complimentary to my Minibrute 2

JB

this user has left ModularGrid

I think this is a very short term solution - so I'd still get the bigger case - yes it's going to cost a bit more - BUT - if you are like most people you will want more as soon as you can afford it - and this way you are prepared...
-- JimHowell1970

I can attest to this statement :) after swearing I would only get one Rackbrute 6U, I now have a Rackbrute 3U also filled in with plans to get another 6U to have two 6Us side by side and to better use my 3U as a complimentary piece to my Minibrute 2 :)

JB

Hi arthabaska. I'm a big fan of a lot of the music you mentioned. Cornelius's Fantasma is a personal favorite.
After taking a quick glance at your rack, I'm thinking you are VERY oscillator heavy. I think I'd be tempted to part with the Drone Bank, E350, and A110 Standard VCO in favor of more mixing, for sure. With so many sound sources I would be looking for creative ways to mix, crossfade, aux send, etc.
As far as utilities, figure out what problem you are running into and add individual utilities as necessary to solve specific problems. Whatever you want to do is probably possible, but I'm not sure what issues you are running into to recommend anything specific at this time.
Have fun and good luck!

Morning all, so I've somehow accumulated a large amount of modules over the past two months, telling myself to buy whatever looks fun (within "reason"), and trim later. I suspect I'm nearing a good point to trim, but I'd like to make sure I'm not missing anything that might be useful, or have anything too superfluous.

I'm quite new to all this, but so far I'm having great fun making interesting noises and soundscapes. I'm not entirely sure where I want to go production-wise, but over the years (I'm 39) I've spent most of my time listening to Shibuya-Kei and adjacent Japanese artists (Cornelius, Fantastic Plastic Machine, YMO, Pizzicato Five, anything Trattoria/Readymade/Emperor Norton), 90s music like Bjork, Bogdan Raczynski, Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, pretty much anything synth-based from the 80s, then some Torley Wong, Clint Mansell, Ulrich Schnauss, Brian Eno, etc. If I'm drawing inspiration from all of that, I'd try to draw out the fun/playfulness of these acts. Polyphony is not a huge goal, as I don't think I could do better than the Summit with modular, so keeping it under 4 voices for the most part.

So, the main questions I have:

1. Do if I have any duplication going on, especially with oscillators (3x A-110-4, E350 & E352, etc)?
  2. How much overlap/duplication is there between Beads and the Microcosm? They both sound great, but I'm not sure I could explain their differences very well yet.
  3. Are there any utilities I'm obviously missing?

This is three Doepfer A-100-G6 cases, with the top right spot acting as a shelf, currently holding a Roland TR-8S. The Roland 531 mixer is powered by the uZeus so I can use it when the racks are off. The Tiptop Quantizer currently has the arpeggiator firmware, and the uO_c has Hemispheres.

External gear: Roland TR-8S, Moog DFAM, Korg Volca FM/Sample/Keys, Hologram Microcosm, several POs, Synthstrom Deluge, Polyend Tracker, Novation Summit, Korg Minilogue, Arturia Keystep 37, Tektronix 465B (analog scope)

Rack: ModularGrid Rack

hahaha, no it's where DIY and video modular leads... I've only ever bought 2 cases & I often think that if I'd been able to buy a mantis first and been able to add Maths to the modules I first bought, without buying that second case, that I'd've been able to stop there... but who knows and who cares - I certainly don't
-- JimHowell1970

Whatever blows your skirt up, no judgment. I'm obsessed with perfecting the smallest build while still doing everything I want to do creatively. However, the temptation is always there to go bigger...

-- Vow3ll

perfecting the smallest build ...????
how small are we talking here???...
Palette case 62 HP..?

Thanks again for taking a look.

Firstly. I’m an idiot. I set my case size to 84, but have a 104hp case. I was building it this way on the site to try and rein myself in. Kind of like setting your watch 10mins fast so you won’t be late.

I thought I put it back to 104 before posting but failed. I’ve switched it back. So there is some space to play with.

Lugia - Thanks for the filter advice, ill check it out!

Jim - I thought that QSM would cover me for mixing. I’ll re-investigate.

I’ve read a lot of the replies you give on other beginner’s rack attempts and I know you consistently quote your signature. I guess (like all beginners it seems) I didn’t pick enough utility. I’ll continue the search.
The question of “Which utilities = more utilities” is something I find quite tough to answer.

Yes a good point and it's a pity that other manufacturers don't follow this great example, so the user can decide to use the module on a +5 V rail or only on a +12 V rail.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

virtually no utilties -how are you mixing?

plaits has a filter built in... although there's no harm putting it through another one to warm it up/darken it a bit

I'd go for a bigger case, either 9u or 104hp, or both, if you want all these modules - just to add a selection of utilities - see my signature!!!!!

Ceiling. Definitely the ceiling...and a pile of carriage bolts.

More seriously, if you're going to have an audio input, you'll also want it to output envelope signals. Have a look at Doepfer's A-119, which is pretty much the standard for these. Not only do you get the necessary preamp, you also get an envelope follower AND a comparator. The comparator sends a gate when the input level exceeds a certain threshold, and the envelope follower does pretty much what it sounds like: it extracts level information from the inputted signal and then converts the amplitude variations as a control voltage...which, if you run the audio signal through a VCF and then use the envelope follower to control the VCF's cutoff, giving you your original sound but with this synced-up filter sweep imposed on it.

How I use my sequential switch - a-151

2-4 sources -> inputs
output -> input on a module

or

outputs -> 2-4 inputs
source -> input

trigger into trigger in to step through them

sources and destination can be pretty much anything - audio of cv, as the a-151 is effectively passive (yes I know it draws a bit of current, but the switchng is passive, I've also had it switching video

switch cab be set to 2.3 or 4 - gaps in i/o are fine

Thread: Melivora

If you really dig the way that the Furrthrr sounds, then why not go for the original? You could get THREE of Buchla/Tiptop's 258t complex oscillators for a fraction of the Furrthrr and still have money left for a very good bottle of whisky to sip on whilst pondering the spectral mayhem. And if you just go with two and then find another 6 hp nearby...maybe tossing the Super Sawtor (it IS discontinued, after all) to get that...those two 258ts will slip right into place.

Actually, just use inline mult widgets. This build is right on the edge where I would say to not have the mults in a build at all due to space constraints.

Most of the time, a sequential switch is what you'd use to switch between sequencer rows (such as the Moog 960 and the 962) by sending end-of-row signals to the switch so that the next row is, say, row 2 or 3, then back around to row 1, etc.

However, they DON'T have to be used for only sequencing. The ARP 2500's Mixsequencer is an electronic switch-type device that can scan across several incoming audio signals and change the inputted signal each time your clock sends a pulse to the Mixsequencer. But you can do the same thing with most any present-day switch; feed four audio signals into the switch's inputs, set up your clocking for it, and then send the output to whatever audio destination you like. Same thing works with control signals, too.

In the test gear world, these devices are referred to as "multiplexers"...several signals go in, clock steps through the inputs, and the result is a single output consisting of whichever channel is selected by the multiplexer. Same idea applies here, also. One that could be fun is to send differently-divided clock signals that can then cause a sequencer to jump around in time with the switch's selected input. LOADS of that good ol' "abuse potential" there...

Filter? Well, if you're in a situation where the build's only got room for one, this is probably the one you're looking for: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/tiptop-audio-forbidden-planet .

It's a clone of the Steiner-Parker Synthacon's multimode filter. And take it from someone who had a Synthacon for a number of years: if you can only have ONE VCF in your system, this is one to have. Bass ranges pound via the LP input, and the bandpass and HP inputs are capable of yowling leads that will cut through most anything. And it's cheap, too...$120. Fits right in that 8 hp hole.

or start hanging cases on the wall!

Making my own Kick in this from Befaco Even VCO sine and Patching Panda Punch.

The new toy in the mix is the SSF Vortices Mixer, so there are a couple of LFO panned mono parts, the bass line is panned before going into Mimeophon and and a sort of acid blip from the Frequency Central Boing!

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Bigger house!

Wow, what a monster. So, this is where the buy a bigger case mentality leads...

-- Vow3ll

hahaha, no it's where DIY and video modular leads... I've only ever bought 2 cases & I often think that if I'd been able to buy a mantis first and been able to add Maths to the modules I first bought, without buying that second case, that I'd've been able to stop there... but who knows and who cares - I certainly don't

Hi everyone,

As I am sure all of you know, Ukraine is currently undergoing an unprecedented brutal attack and facing a terrifying threat of Russian occupation, with nuclear threats already made. Many of us are also no doubt familiar with brilliant Eurorack module manufacturers from Ukraine such as Happy Nerding, Knob Farm and Endorphin.es whose families we can assume are at grave risk. There is already a lot of support from the modular scene, for instance the manufacturer Erica Synths is currently donating all income of certain modules to charity for Ukraine, and there is an initiative from ambient artist and YouTuber Hainbach who has released a single with all profits going to the Red Cross for Ukraine.

Inspired by these initiatives, I propose that we can also use ModularGrid to raise funds for Ukraine. I've personally put up a number of modules on the marketplace of which I will donate all money to the Ukrainian Red Cross. If more people join this, we could even opt to create racks in which we add Ukraine Fundraising to the name so that we can use the search function to buy the modules we are looking for, while being sure that profits of our purchases will go to humanitarian aid. I hope this act of solidarity does not go against the user policy of ModularGrid.

A list of trusted causes can be found at https://tinyurl.com/HELPUKR

With hopes for peace,
Rik

bigger desk?

No space for that, I'm afraid. I already have two 6Us attached together. I literally have about 10 inches of desk between the Brutes and the PC monitor!

Just for reference, this is the Rack. The two Fansynths don't exist but I'm holding space for them (or something like them, Mutant Modular told me something better is on the way) because this thing gets hot and I'd like my modules to last well into retirement...! I use the rack for generative stuff.

ModularGrid Rack

don't waste money on small cases - yet - just get another 6u rackbrute - or better yet sell the rackbrute and buy a couple of mantis (when you can)

Thanks for the module recos but I think in my case I don't anticipate bringing in signals that much – famous last words in modular, haha. I don't play other instruments, don't have loads of guitars laying around etc. The Sonicsmith looks really good, with all of the extra things it can do.

So with that in mind, I'm thinking about getting a very small and deep (so maybe custom) case for the ES-9 and something like the Sonicsmith - to free up a little HP in the RackBrute and take a bit of load off its power consumption (that ES-9 is a beast). I live in Brooklyn so space is an issue and it all has to fit on my desk!

Yeah, I stand by my original suggestion. Get the 208hp case, add some of the modules that you really want, and cover the rest with blind panels until you know what you need. Plan long-term and add modules as need and budget dictate. This is modular after all so you can always take a modular approach to the rack itself if you plan right. I started with a plan of 416hp (i.e. two Mantis cases joined with brackets) and my initial investment was 104hp worth of modules. I then began adding additional support modules when I could. I now have double my original plan. Modular is my main instrument, so that may be overkill for many users, but it works for me.
Buy the modules that will give you the most joy and inspiration. Don't just buy what is small, available, and affordable in the present. You are building a highly personal instrument that could last decades, so build exactly what you want. Don't get me wrong, I've purchased some modules that were duds just because I wanted something (anything?) new, but for the most part I've stuck to my long-term plan. And your long-term plans will slowly shift as you begin adding modules and realizing that your preferences and approach to sound and workflow differ from the capabilities and styles of some module manufacturers.
Above all, have fun with it. Don't go into debt. :)

Edit: Here's my current rack if you are interested. Again, I started with 104hp of modules (some of which I still have in there). Just be sure to cover open spaces to avoid screws and patch cable tips from touching any power headers.
ModularGrid Rack

Could you post a video clips of this?

The Expert Firmware include the Verhulst’s logistic chaotic system.
Xaoc Github Link.

Random Waveforms Bank
New Quad Mode
Advanced Zoom Interface
-- defragmenteur

Thanks defo looks interesting.but must admit im abit scared of the firmware upgrade process both with the Batumi and zadar

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

@Broken-Form

outputs to modulation inputs on other modules

adjust attenuverters to set ranges

turn knob (or use input - use attenuator as needed) to change value at output...

imagine the attenuverter for output 1 is set to about 9 o'clock - roughly -0.5

as you move the knob from fully counter clockwise (0) to fully clockwise (1), the value of output 1 will move from 0-> -0.5

etc etc
-- JimHowell1970

Thanks will try this out today

yeah this one looks vaguely correct ModularGrid Rack
upside down stuff is diy backlog - I'm pretty sure that some is missing (probably 3 or 4 DIY video modules) - or in the case of chromagnon - pre-ordered about 2 years ago...

but I don't think it's going to help you...

there are 8 cases in total - 2 * 9u / 104hp, 2 * 9u /84hp, 2 * 6u / 84hp, 1 * 6u / 72hp, 1 * 6u / 104hp (mantis)

and just at the moment - it's all over the place - cos I'm playing with 3 cases in the living room...

maybe ya right.... maybe a mid size case...

its so confusing ...

have you got any of your case Modulargrid i can look at..?

I'd definitely try working out how to use the black sequencer properly 1st...

you can do a lot in terms of clock division and turning gates on and off per channel - so a single clock source into the black sequencer - or using the internal clock - doesn't mean you are playing all 4 channels at the same speed - they will be at related speeds - and euclidean rhythms won't work - very well - but you have another sequencer anyway... it's nice to bounce a euclidean sequence of a non-euclidean one

matrix mixer: difficult to tell as there are a lot of black patch cables - but I suspect he's taking the 2 sequencers which are running at different speeds and mixing them together in different proportions - before sending to vcos, probably via quantizers

hmm - well it's your money! personally that doesn't work for me - having no money means I spend less money - not no space left in cases... I've got at least 300hp free space in my cases - blind panels and panels for diy backlog...

the rack:
too many sound sources in too small a case
ergonomic nightmare:- too many small modules together - disting is a pita with modules that have knobs or jack near the knobs, switch needs to move so that it's at an edge, for the same reason... filter knobs look unusable etc etc etc
steppy and pams - would lose steppy for noise tools if possible...
fx aid and the intellijel - probably wouldn't pick both in a tiny case...

how are you intending to sequence pitch???

hope this helps!

H Jim,

I know what you mean, but im trying to be conservative for now...
if i lock my self to a smaller space I'm less likely to splurge on more gear..

im trying to have bits of things that i can still experiment with. plus these could be great units in a future set up.
(long in the distance future).... HA HA HA..!!

what do you think of the new layout.. ??
after a lot or reading & watching reviews i think i could make some interesting grooves
plus i still have other outboard gear.

Cheers
BB

@Broken-Form

outputs to modulation inputs on other modules

adjust attenuverters to set ranges

turn knob (or use input - use attenuator as needed) to change value at output...

imagine the attenuverter for output 1 is set to about 9 o'clock - roughly -0.5

as you move the knob from fully counter clockwise (0) to fully clockwise (1), the value of output 1 will move from 0-> -0.5

etc etc

Yeah I think if that's what you want to do your best bet may be to sell the Black Sequencer and get something like the TipTop Z8000 instead. You may lose certain features but you'll then have multiple sequencers in one module and you may also come away with a few $ in the transaction.
-- adaris

Thanks so much for the tip on the sequencer. I’ll definitely check it out. In the meantime, I’ll add in my Dark Time to see what I can do. Do you by any chance know how he’s using that Matrix Mixer?

I think this is a very short term solution - so I'd still get the bigger case - yes it's going to cost a bit more - BUT - if you are like most people you will want more as soon as you can afford it - and this way you are prepared...

remember you don't need to fill the case immediately or ever, for that matter - blind panels are your friend...

@Broken-Form

4 modulation sources -> 4 inputs of seq switch
output of sequential switch -> modulation input of some module
some trigger source -> switch input

1 modulation source -> input of sequential switch
outputs of seq switch -> 4 different modulation inputs
some trigger source -> switch input

2 sequencers -> 2 inputs of seq switch
output of seq switch -> vco pitch input
some trigger source (possibly last or first step from one of the sequencers) -> switch input

remember to switch no of steps in the seq switch 2,3,4

remember that switch is bi-directional - inputs become outputs and vice versa depending on how it's patched

examples refer to the doepfer a-151 - but may also apply equally to other sequential switches

Hey peeps,

after some great advice for JimHowell197o & farkas, on scaling back my ambition on case with 208HP of modules ..

A) cost..
B) getting to know a smaller amount of gear better ..

that all made sense it the light of day..
so I've scaled to a Intellijel Palette Case 62 HP
note: the very top 1U line is what comes with the case.

i welcome feedback & ideas ..

Cheers
BB

link here..
ModularGrid Rack

Another vote for the Livestock Electronics Maze, I got it yesterday for my new build - it's powerful for 12HP and I really like it.

-- Vow3ll

Right on! I love mine and create presets that let me do transitions and fade in/out cv control on my system. My other modular has 4ms VCA Matrix which is great module as well. Most of recent modules have been to beef up my support utility toolkit.

Could you post a video clips of this?

The Expert Firmware include the Verhulst’s logistic chaotic system.
Xaoc Github Link.

Random Waveforms Bank
New Quad Mode
Advanced Zoom Interface

I have the A1 synthesis matrix mixer.but need to figure out good ways to use it

I also have the FSS Makrow.but havent used it yet.as im abit baffled how i should patch it up.and there really isent any videos about it.

Thread: Melivora

Thanks for the input Lugia.
I think I will part with the Furthrrr generator and get maybe 2 smaller VCOs for this setup.
The thing with the Queen of Pentacles is that I really fell in love with that kick drum and the hole module as per say . I was considering an external drum machine like the RD-9s but I would like to have all these things in my case. And so for the Ground Control as well, I really like it the workflow and then how it incorporates with the Queen of Pentacles.
For the Instruo Arbhar my idea is to make textures to keep the mood of the track in the back ground running.
I would say these tree modules is my main aspects of the idea of Techno case I would like to build.

For the utilities modules what should I be looking at more to make this integrate well with the concept?

Thanks so much for the input, much appreciated