Thank you for your suggestions, Lugia! I didn't know about Codex Modulex, but they look great and their VCA looks like what I've been looking for. You've suggested before that I didn't need two LPGs with the Optomix and the Dynamix, but I find they function so differently that I couldn't get rid of either one of them. I'll have to try out the Rainmaker before I dive in, though. It's a pricey meat-a-ball, and a big one at that.

Looking for advice. I find the Echophon pretty bulky for what it does and have been considering using a Morphagene to replace it. This is largely because I want more flexibility with my system, and it seems like the Morphagene does everything that the Echophon can do plus much more.

For reference, here's my system, which is in a Make Noise 6U case with the buffered mult. In addition to this, I have a Mother-32 and a standalone Yamaha MG12XU mixer:

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_612113.jpg

As always, appreciate the thoughts.

This is a bit rough, but I was excited to get this online and wanted to hear others' thoughts. Thanks to a combination of terrible writer's block, a focus on my job, and life in general, I haven't written any music since 2011. Learning how to use a modular set-up changed that, and I wanted to share something I've been working on for the past few months. Hope you enjoy.

https://kevindugan.bandcamp.com/album/beacon

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll play around with them where I can. I've always found the Noise Engineering modules confusing, but that's entirely just based on looking at pictures of them online. It looks like Noise Reap's Bermuda is out of production, unless I'm missing something, so I'll wait to try that one. That ADDAC looks very cool, though.

Thank you, everyone, for your input. It seems pretty clear that I'm lacking VCAs!

Lugia: I neglected to include my 2hp Mix module in the rack, probably because I was so focused on sound sources. My mistake. Thank you for how thorough you went, and especially for explaining the logic behind it--it became very clear for me after reading your note. I see what you're saying about big, sexy modules: I definitely allowed myself to get carried away with the Cloud Terrarium, for instance. I'm actually more inclined to get rid of that module over the Mysteron, since I use the latter for timbral modulation and randomness, and I think it has a good "ugly" sound, but honestly they tend to be among the lesser-loved. You're right in that I feel like I'm hitting a wall. Thanks for the suggestion on the Doepfer. I've been looking at more of their modules after getting the spring reverb, which is gorgeous and relatively cheap. As for the utility modules, what about a Cold Mac? As for the mults: I currently use a few Intellijel non-magnetic hubs, and haven't noticed any kind of a signal drop-off. Either way, I've been planning on getting a 7U Make Noise case, which I believe would solve that issue in the future though--right?

Liquid_air: Yeah, I've downsized quite a bit. I had a few MI modules, but I just didn't get along with them, and wasn't interested in the micro version. As for your questions, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I do use the MIDI in on the Mother-32 with a keyboard, but I'm not sure about your other question without an example.

Sudaunt: I've thought about getting a wogglebug or a Turing Machine, and I'm certainly not against having either. I'm not really too familiar with the Disting, but it looks like it does a little bit of everything. I'll certainly try it out. Thanks!

I've been building this out for about a year now, but recently I've been looking to cut out the redundancies and give myself more flexibility. With the DPO, the STO, the E-352, and the Mysteron, I essentially have four oscillators and it can feel like overkill sometimes. To be clear, I have everything here minus the Batumi and the Dynamix, which I plan on getting in the next month or two.

In addition to this I have a Mother-32, which I use with the Rene 1 for minimalist tones, syncopated rhythms, and three- or four-voice drones.

I'm considering getting a sound modeler like the Plonk just for some variation, and I've found the Echophon does S&H well enough for my purposes, though I'm not against getting a Morphagene or a Nebulae v. 2.

Any thoughts?

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_612113.jpg