Appreciate your time ! Amazing community!

Thank you Senor Bling! I was watching videos about the Wmd Time Warp and I was wondering if "slew" function is same thing or close to "slide" function....Usta has Slides on each step. I might be wrong, but I wonder if it's the same thing...or?...

Thank you Senor Bling! I do not own any of the external sequencers you mentioned, I chose Fh-2 for the midi connection ( being able to use a midi keyboard and use the arpeggiator ) I am sure it covers way more than that.
I do use an external mixer ( Soundcraft Mtk 22), plenty of channels I can route for each output in my system, it has 2 effects per channel i can use independently ( with 2 efx parameters for control)...my system sits in front of the mixer, so i can use levels/efx and so on right on spot.
I like the idea of Planar!

Lugia, I thank you for the detailed feedback and new direction for this system! I will definitely reconsider it! Thank you all! > The second one. Reason for this is that you can always add some sort of expression controller, especially since you have the FH-2 in there, allowing anything with USB Host requirements to jack right in. This also means that you can use the modular "upright" instead of laying flat, which should improve the ergonomics. As for module complement, the only problems I see are the presence of the Links (this build is too small for dedicated mults...you need to maximize space functionality in these, meaning that it makes more sense in this size to use stackcables or inline mults) and the filter complement, which is just two LPFs, meaning that you're missing out on the potential of any of the other filter topologies.

The workflow here, though...hm...this needs tinkering...
ModularGrid Rack
OK...loads of tweaks, as it turned out...but the game is definitely upped.

Upper row is mainly the "voicing", lower is control and modulation...again, mostly.

I changed out quite a few things here. In some case, it was to clear space for essentials (like the noise/S&H and Ladik Dual Lag) and in others, there simply was a better solution (such as the Doepfer VCF...which gives you 16 different topologies which you can also access simultaneously). But loads of additions here...

Top row: power, FH-2, then there's a WMD Toolbox, which has a bunch of little tricks up its sleeve. After this is a noise/S&H, then a dual slew gen with selectable glide-on-direction response. I replaced the Shapeshifter with Dove's new Wavetable VCO, which saved some money and space, and also provides a more straightforward "PPG-ish" wavetable oscillator. Your Ensemble Oscillator is next, then there's a quad VCA (Codex Modulex's clone of the Veils module) and mixer to sum down the oscillators and/or sampler. That Xpander VCF is next...yes, it's Dieter's version of the Oberheim Xpander filter. Then the Bitbox and another VCA/mixer for your final summing; this then goes down to the right end of the bottom for FX and output isolation.

Bottom row: power, Pams's, Steppy, Frap sequencer. Then two more dual-response VCAs, placed specifically for modulation signal processing. Codex's "Tides" clone is next up, followed by the Maths, then there's a dual ADSR which should come in handy for VCF and VCA control. Happy Nerding's new FX Aid gives you Spin FX-1 algorithms in stereo next, and last comes their Isolator, which provides transformer isolation/balancing for better audio and a single master level control for your output.

This seems more solid. For one thing, it has the "little bits" put in that allow the main modules to really cut loose. Functionally, this is WAY more dense and open-ended, and there's loads of "tricks" hidden throughout the build to up the programmability. The sole concern I have now is about the depth, which maxes at 50mm in this version, and the majority (but not all!) of dual 104hp cabs start having trouble at around 45mm. However, you might take a peek at Erica's 2 x 104hp portable case, which offers a 67mm max depth AND a kickass power supply with 2.5A on both 12V rails, and another Amp on +5V. The current headroom, all totalled, would be about an Amp, so the likelihood of overdrawing the P/S is pretty much zero. Also, this would negate the need for the 4ms ROW POWER 45s, so you'd wind up with another 4 hp per row for more twiddling, although at present the build still has these.
-- Lugia

Which system would you choose out of the two's?
I am interested in function covering and flexibility
Option1: Tetrapad/Tete combo + Dixie2
Option2: Shapeshifter(offers vavefolding, maybe useful for the other voice) + TTz20240+2hp Rnd
or...what would you use instead of these modules
alt text
alt text

Thanks Troux! Now, I am not sure which direction should I take...Lxd or a wavefolder for this system...( which one of the two's will be useful for both drums and synth lines?) Lxd for sure...Is there an example with a wavefolder altering the drums/percussion?

Yes the Enosc is probably a fantastic instrument on it's own, but I have not studied it enough. It's main function is to obtain modulation within it's own architecture I think. I think the Dixie is very solid, it has that wave-shape west coast feel.
-- GunnarWaage
Should I replace the Lxd with a uFold ( Intellijel) ? Would uFold work just like MI Warps? Same time i was thinking Lxd would work well for drums and not only...

I might consider then the Dixie. And I do not think it has too much in common with the Enosc, right? ( sonic wise)
Enosc itself has a unique vco architecture.

Appreciate Gunnar!

Thank you Troux! Yes, I do have the Mum M8.
I do not own yet the Tetrapad with Tete and I am wondering ( drum sequencing wise ) how likely to obtain same functionality as in Numeric Repetitor from NE. How immediate can it be? Is it the same scroll through pages like in Pnw, to set different clocks/steps?

Thank you Gunnar! Sync as in clocks? ( I do own 2 Happy Circuit - Missing Links) Do you think I should go for the Dixie 2+ instead of the Doepfer vco? I thought an analog vco with basic waveforms would sound a bit different than the Enosc...

I am already craving for more vco's ...but I guess I should leave it the ways it is....considering the size of this system. How balanced do you find it? I was thinking also of a matrix mixer, but i couldn't find a way to add it ( most of them take a lot of hp).

Would really appreciate some feedback on my system ( I tried to build a balanced drum/synth fun workbox system). I don't own the tetrapad, tete, doepfer a-111 and lxd yet ( but that's what i have planned to purchase next).
Is there anything you would use instead of those 4 modules mentioned above?
alt text

Thank you Jim!

Effects are delivered by my Soundcraft mtk mixer. How balanced does it look? Modulation is kinda' missing in here...Do you think Atlantis fits this module selection? Should I consider another rack, just for the Atlantis?
alt text

alt text
Rack envisioned only for 4ms ensemble vco, sequencing melodic lines. Someone mentioned the Usta sequencer is not recommended for sequencing polyphonic notes ( I assume, as long as the vco is not spitting polyphonic signals...)

What do you think about this rack and what would you use for that 2hp left?

Thank you!

Thank you Toodee!> > I will start by mentioning what other equipment I have around me at this point:

Soundcraft Sound Signature 10
Faderfox Pc & Mx 12
Iconnectivity Mi010
Circuit Happy Missing Link

These are units that, more or less, I think they could take part or not in the future discussions.
-- Tnsl

I'm not sure what you mean by that. The Soundcraft is a mixer so no issue. Faderfox, Iconnectivity and Circuit Happy are all MIDI devices though, so it really depends on whether or not your Eurorack setup can accommodate that much MIDI input and if you want to spend HP for modules making the MIDI to CV conversion.

My first question is: How much importance should I give to this specific case knowing that one row is 1u and It Has to be intellijel utility modules? Should I go on a case without 1u modules ? How efficient are those Intellijel 1u modules to cover the needs of a beginner ? Is it safe to invest in a case like that, knowing that I would have to use Only Intellijel modules for that particular row?
-- Tnsl

The way I see it, the 7U isn't such a big case (but that's highly dependent on the build I personally have in mind for myself, a very personal perception of what is needed in a rack). Therefore, any HP I can save in the 3U space is welcome, and the compatible (again, watch out for Pulp Logic vs Intellijel) 1U offering by Intellijel and a couple of other manufacturers helps me tremendously. I'm particularly fan of the O&C in 1U format, as well as the quad attenuverter, couldn't live without those (I have 2 now, thinking about getting a 3rd). Something to consider: cases with a 1U row seem considerably more expensive than their equivalent without, but 1. you save space and 2. sometimes the 1U module is a bit less expensive than its 3U equivalent.
As Lugia said, Intellijel is not the only player in the 1U Intellijel space. The offering is limited but there is already quite a lot of interesting utilities in my opinion. What is less "safe" is the "lock in" situation: once you get into 1U, you will need to get rid of all your 1U modules if you pick a case without that row, or you will need to limit yourself to options with a 1U row as well (I went with that when I evolved out of my 7U).

If you are worried about the usability, I find that the 1U row on the 7U is ideally placed and the modules design is usually taking the form factor into account so that's not much of an issue. But if indeed you can't see the usefulness of an attenuverter, a linear VCA or a slew limiter, please do follow Lugia's advice and get some experience with free software, it will help you make a better plan based on YOUR patching techniques and related needs.

Hopefully this helps. Welcome to MG :)

-- toodee

Thank you Lugia! > 1) No, it's not only for Intellijel tiles. There are other companies (Plum Audio comes to mind) that do modules in Intellijel's 1U format. You just have to be careful when checking listings and, also, pretty much all of Pulplogic's tiles are out of the question.

2) It's not that modules are "efficient". Fact is, a modular synth is about the most INefficient musical instrument there is. Most of what's inside the case is air, every connection has to be handpatched as a rule, patches require constant adjustment, and nothing works as you'd expect if you happen to look at your rig wrong. If you want "efficient", you're looking at the wrong thing altogether! That being said, the Intellijel tiles are USEFUL (this is the word I think you're looking for) in that they can replace 3U module functions, which then opens up more room in the 3U rows.

3) Garfield is correct: if you're not comfortable with a 1U row, get a different case. That being said, tiles are very useful, especially for utility functions, and the panoply of original format tiles shows this. But given that 1U tiles are just shrinky synth modules, it gives me some pause that if you're having trouble sorting out the usefulness of those 1U modules, there's quite probably some "gaps" in overall synth knowledge here.

4) DO NOT jump into this feet-first at top speed, with full money in evidence. Judging from the questions you've posed above, it could well be that you'd be better off learning the basics of this with a patchable synth, not a full-on modular. That way, you can sort out how this all works and have a device that can form the core of a larger system later on, once you've gotten more chops and more comprehension about the subject. Mind you, you can get well into modular turf with a patchable; something like Pittsburgh's Voltage Lab might make a useful start here, and if you were to pair that with something like a Plankton Ants! or Make Noise's 0-Coast, then you'd have a fairly powerful system that would allow you to work out where you want to go with this without spending the massive pile of cash that a full modular would entail.

Remember: modular synthesizers are really neat and cool looking and all that...but they have the potential to be the most hideous money sink you've ever encountered if you go into this without the requisite knowledge. Not everyone needs one, either. Really, they're best in the hands of musicians and sound designers who've exhausted all conventional sonic possibilities and who now need to go "off the map"; they're not an essential, despite what loads of YouTube videos might lead one to think.
-- Lugia

Anyone else has input on this?

Thank you Garfield!

So, would you recommend intellijel 1u utility vs. 3u’s? I would like to see a reply like:
Yes.., because this and so.... OR
No... because this and so... OR
Simply...there is no difference

Hello everyone!

I am about to start the journey and like others on the timeline, I will need advices and valuable thoughts regarding modular/eurorack environment. I really do hope that I could keep one thread for my learning experience and growth.

I do believe that approaching modular in a "step by step" manner, will not necessarily bring disappointment or "run away"scenarios. I do feel attracted by it, to the extent where I don't look for immediate instant gratification or accomplishments.

I will start by mentioning what other equipment I have around me at this point:

Soundcraft Sound Signature 10
Faderfox Pc & Mx 12
Iconnectivity Mi010
Circuit Happy Missing Link

These are units that, more or less, I think they could take part or not in the future discussions.

I will start with the case I intend to purchase and that would be Intellijel 7u 104hp. Based on other comments, it looks it might be a good candidate for starter.

My first question is: How much importance should I give to this specific case knowing that one row is 1u and It Has to be intellijel utility modules? Should I go on a case without 1u modules ? How efficient are those Intellijel 1u modules to cover the needs of a beginner ? Is it safe to invest in a case like that, knowing that I would have to use Only Intellijel modules for that particular row?

I appreciate your time and look forward for more.

Sounds wise! I will definitely tryout more and build my way in. Appreciate!

I thought it would be a simple synth phrase machine( through those patterns ) but I’m open to anything....I’m willing to swap the nerdseq with a powerful arpeggiator ( if you can come up with an idea).

It’s my first rack, so I thought it should be relatively simple but also sequencing for a bit more fun.

I’m open to suggestions in that regard.
Thx

Anything you'd change in 2hp? Nerdseq and Plaits needs to stay in
https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1011375.jpg

That’s really quality insight , especially with your experience.
I graduated visual arts and some universities would accept Basquiat’s work as something to refer on , in their curriculum and other universities would simply call it rubbish.
This kind of “ leading” or “ showing the way” in education , I agree it’s detrimental towards your own self / style ( at least in arts).
Since I am a newbie in eurorack, I need clear demos of all vco’s and stuff out there.
My ear maybe it’s not trained to taste all vco’s modules as being different or specific flavors.

But each time after I dig more into it, I kinda have some favorites ( just like a painter prepares his color pallet , before the actual painting).

So, maybe I should have just asked , what modules/ functions for melodic ambient, very organic timbre and arpy.
What vco’s and what quantizer?
What efx?

I have to be specific :)

Thanks Garfield, yeah it's just my personal "taste" I'm looking for

My personal take on "copying " is a bit different. Personally, I don't think anyone here is re-inventing the wheel in sonics/sound/noise spectrum. It's physics/electronics, under clear laws based on human ears.

I see each module as a possible preset/function. There is a big unit number of the same synthesizer, used by different people, in different ways. Just like several people are using Braids and so on...

Where the magic strikes is in the timbre/melodic line/arrangement/patching.

Most of this music, maybe it was created on synthesizers and not modular environment... I am wondering what modules ( most likely vco's) cover the sounds in the mix. ( especially at min.9)
Here is the mix
[url][/url]

What would be your desert island 84rack selection to give you plenty of time to explore with...?

Thank you Lugia!
It would be for studio use... I am thinking then of a nerdseq + assimil8tor and see how much hp left in

Hard to choose in between a lunchbox groovebox or a powerful lunchbox arpeggiator oriented.

What configuration you'll choose, in regard to a Pulp Logic lunchbox ( groovebox or wild arpeggiator wise )?

I appreciate your feedback. I might jump into this..as a long term project :)

Help me build a Subharmonicon inside a Kb37.

What are other alternatives for the P.M.'s Primary Oscillator?

Wonder how it would look like the simplest multitimbral skiff with 4 different voice midi channels.

Many thanks amstrad!

I wonder if I would like to change this configuration into a Korg Monopoly type of sound...what Oscillator modules i would choose? Filters I think i"ll use Doepfer A-105...but I wonder about oscillators. Here is the Minimod layout:
https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_796635.jpg

Thanks guys!

Can anyone identify what modules are used in here? Thx
https://imgur.com/LzZ6qnE

Got it! Thanks again!

I appreciate your clear feedback Lugia!
That means, that Braids for ex. ,since it's not a quad Vco, cannot deliver polyphonic notes? by itself...or i would need a multiplier of some sort ( total newb :) )

Thank you! Quad would be 4 note polyphony ?

Is there any module that offers polyphony ? or just through melodic chords that some modules offer?

Thanks