Thanks, guys! I can definitely work with all this great info. You're the best!

These are great suggestions, liquid! I think I've now been convinced that the Intellijel 7U is the way to go. That 1U rack frees up more space too. This is the first I've looked into the Black Hole too and oh man, that thing is a beauty. The Erbeverb is real impressive too, but that Black Hole seems to fit with what I'm doing a bit more. Down the road, that Voltage Block looks like the way to go as well.

Thanks so much! I updated my rack a bit based on these suggestions.

I contemplated the Mantis for a while. Something about the aesthetic of it I'm just not a fan of. Which is a bummer because it seems like a real good deal. At this point I think I'll probably end up sticking to the RackBrute, at least for a first build. I pulled the trigger on the Morphagene because Reverb had a really nice sale going that dropped the price of a new one about $80 bucks. Any opinions on the rest of my first purchases above? I've also been moving more towards Stages and away from Batumi a bit just because it seems like it has more usefulness in a smaller starting rack.

Funny enough I almost considered one of those PM desktop cases for a while, but just couldn't justify it with the transporting I will most likely be doing. That whole line is really nice looking though. I would probably go with the Intellijel 7U hands down if it wasn't for the significant price difference from the RackBrute. It's the only reason why I'm still undecided.

That's great info, Ed. Thanks! I'm still been waving a little between the RackBrute and spending the extra money upfront and getting an Intellijel 7U. In the long run the portability, expansion possibility and extra 1U rack for those Intellijel utilities looks tempting. At the same time you can expand on the RackBrute too. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for the catch, Lugia. I had it at 88 per row but had extended it at some point just to fit a few modules so I wouldn't forget about them. Looks like I forgot to change it back after I posted. It should be updated in the link now.

Hi all,

I have been on verge of diving into eurorack for a while and have finally decided to jump in. After playing around in VCV Rack for a while, spending some time on YouTube and reading through the forums here, I feel like I'm finally becoming a little more comfortable actually making a few purchases. Before I do however, I was wondering if any of you fine people would be willing to take a look at the rack I put together and provide any suggestions as to where I should start with my first purchases. Because I'm new to the whole thing, I'm sure there are some obvious holes or redundancies in this build so any critique would be super helpful.

Ultimately, I have about $2k to spend so I'm looking for the best places to start and then build out from there later. A little bit of info into what I'm looking to do:

I already have an 0-Coast that I've been digging into and am looking to include it with my build. I will also probably be doing most of my clocking and sequencing in my DAW to start until my build is fleshed out a bit more so those are not urgent.

The only required purchases for me to start would be a rack (looking at the RackBrute 6u) and a Morphagene (I thought a long while about using just this as a standalone as well). This leaves about $1100 to play with. My thoughts to start were the Veils (for the Quad VCA), Batumi (for the Quad LFO), ES Disting MK4 (for the flexibility), Erica Synths Black Wavetable VCO (to be a complimentary voice to the 0-Coast) and probably a simple mult as well.

I know the 0-Coast itself provides me with a bit of flexibility as it has a lot of the basics already built in, but I would like to make sure my first few purchases will be as musically compatible as possible. I would also like to make sure the build compliments the Morphagene as much as possible too. This probably sounds a little broad, but in general I am looking for a build that can do some interesting textural ambience as well as have some grit if it needs to go into a more industrial sounding direction.

In addition, if there are any modules you think would be a cheaper replacement but do the job better or just as well, I am open to that. And vice versa, if there is a more expensive one.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated and super helpful! You all seem like a welcoming group and everything that I've seen in this forum makes me feel confident I'll end up going down a road I'll be happy with.

Thanks in advance!

ModularGrid Rack