Merged a lot of duplicates today and added over 30 missing brands.

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net

Thread: Change Log

Moved the entire site to a new server

The entire site and the screenshot server moved to a new faster server. It's now cloud everything 16 core/64GB RAM with SSDs and whatnot. All the server software (Linux, PHP, SQL, ...) was updated, we have a web firewall, the screenshot software was rebuild from ground. Still some hiccups here and there but overall it went well.
We lost the www in front of www.modulargrid.net. The site is now just modulargrid.net (as if anyone would ever notice).

(Sry, the rack doesnt shop up directly, because its a "pedal rack")
-- VONDENFUNKEN

That should work now.

No expense spared, it's a 16 core machine with 64GB Ram

If you see this text it means we are on the new server.
I think we are through the rough stuff. Did not see major problems. Please report if something is not working right. (Except all the old bugs, we moved them too).

On April 10th at around 12.00 CET ModularGrid and a Terabyte of Rack Screenshots will move to a new server. This will take a couple of hours. The website will be in "read mode", which means that rack planning will not work, but the modules should still be searchable. Downtime hopefully will be minimal. See you on the other side!

Can you log in on different browsers at the same time? Though I guess that will stop you copy/pasting.
-- wishbonebrewery

You can copy/paste from different browsers..

I just tried again this morning and it's working again. Thanks to whoever fixed it up on the back end!
-- markpar

It's still wonky, we are currently migrating to a new screenhot server ...

Currently we have a problem with the email server, because the hoster has introduced a new quota/limit for emails. That means you might not get emails or they are delayed. We are on it ...

I am not against it in general but it is quite an effort especially to port the data to MG. The images on that page don't look very useful either?

I don't give up. There is a new update where the Search field will not lose the focus when the cursor hovers of the rack above.
This should prevent most accidental deletions of modules. However now you have to click on the rack again to make the shortcuts work.

Thread: Bug Report

Not sure if this is a bug report or a feature request so apologies in advance.

Email notifications that I receive are following my browser/email client dark modes changing the text colour to white (or thereabouts) but the background remains white making the text close to unreadable.
-- eastwood

I don't know which email client you use but I have now deleted all color settings from the mail template so your client might work better?

Hey, thanks for the detailed description, lot's to do but I have it on the map..

There was a duplicate and we unlisted the wrong by accident. I have reverted it.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/clacktronics-mini-speaker

This website is about music and the devices that make it. This interest is the common ground that connects us.
Let's not fool ourselves, it's also about escapism, it's also about being able to escape from everyday life.
Terrible things happen in this world. I don't want them on my website. And that's why we have a no-politics policy.
And that's why I deleted a post that passively attacked a user who just wanted to show his music.

Try the Clean up the mess! function in the edit menu!

Currently please only offer gear which has a detail page.

We have that now. Modules can be ordered by positive rail.

-- solitud

What the evil twin said.

Order Modules by Power Consumption

Modules now can be ordered by positive rail in the search.

It would be great to be able to split the rack in sections (Mantis, Go, etc.) with separate current draw calculations.
At the moment I've got separate racks for each section, which is far from convenient for shuffling around modules. Is there an easier way to do that?

Also, key shortcuts for moving modules vertically would be nice too.
-- Mazz

If you click on Data Sheet in the rack planner power consumption is calculated by row. Does that help?
Also key shortcuts to move modules should work. Hover over a module, press enter, use cursor keys to move, enter to place ...

it's not about typing in the description field, it's about using the "Text Replacement" function in Macos, where you can automatically substitute a text you type by a saved text (usually a short abbreviated text replaced by a much longer text)
-- DirkB

We added a Rich Text Editor lately to the offer form which might cause the issue.
I now have added a Legacy Mode button to return to the web conform standard form. Maybe that fixes the issue?

In your user settings there is a setting for Planner Menu Preferences.
You can uncheck the button options there and dependent on your problem that might help to drag the small modules easier aroound.

Thread: Bug Report

There seems to be a bug with My Modules feature. I've added quite a few (40-50), initially just three of them appeared in the tab. I logged out and back in, and then it seemed that most if not all of them were showing up. Then on following login just a single module is now showing up. Would be great to resolve this issue as it was one of the features that prompted me to upgrade to paying version. Thanks

-- soulsun69

If you go to the My Module section the search parameters still apply. Click Reset in the search form and check if the missing modules appear. Does that fix the problem?

Update: So I figured a ""workaround"" and that is to delete every module and add them back one by one. Not super ideal but it seems to be stable atm.
-- JFerg

I have seen that you had modules lie on top of each other in your dotcom system. Not sure how that happened, but I guess this was the cause of problems.

Which browser are you using?

Richtext Editor in the Marketplace

The Richtext editor is now available in the marketplace section.

ImageUpload in the Richtext Editor

Ever noticed the small image icon in the top right of the Richtext editor? That used to insert the markdown syntax for images. Now it lets you upload images and they will be displayed inline in the forum texts and marketplace offers.
An experimental feature that might be reverted.

Let's start with image No 1, a must have for every modular user: my potted plant.

Am I missing something or did they remove the rotate 180° option ?
-- ukiyo_

It's an option now in the User Settings
Enable Flip Button

Hey folks,
I had several situations I wished I could simply send a picture of a real existing module in my rack at home or a soundfile to somebody else here on modulargrid via a messenger service like on Facebook and many other web sites. This would make communication within an ongoing trade much easier and I would not need to use sombody elses e-mail adress or send mine to receive more infos about a module. I do not know how hard it is to implement this into this site but maybe something worth to consider.
Cheers
-- ChaiBaba

We have this now as an experimental feature for unicorn users. See https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/view/40032

Image Upload in the Messenger

Besides module images I never wanted to host user uploaded images on the server because of the potential trouble with backups and malware.
But users pointed out that in case of the marketplace it is very helpful to send images via the messenger to not disclose their private data/ email adresses early. So that is possible now. You can send one image per message.
The images are hosted on a Google Cloud Server. Because that service charges money for hosting and traffic the new feature is an Unicorn Only feature.
Since I have no idea how expensive it is in the long run the image upload is an experimental feature, so save any important images localy, because the data might vanish again.

it would be great to work with module dummies in the real world before starting to persist the arrangement in modulargrid.
smaller versions (maybe 1:2) of each module printed on paper or cardboard which can be arranged & moved around on a desk.
-- modular01

You can go to Modules -> My Modules and just use the Print function of your browser. I have changed the print.css so the modules will be printed in series and other info will be hidden.

Is there a way to merge racks? I have a few 4 row cases that I created before getting the Unicorn account, is there a way to merge them or copy/paste rows from one case to another?
-- vuucuuv

Currently you can only copy modules one by one with c and v keyboardshortcuts between browser wondows.

Hide Manufacturer Info Block

When you select a Manufacturer via the Manufacturer Drop Box in the Module Finder an info box with related info will be shown. That's old news. But if you don't need that info now you can hide that box with a click and it will stay hidden even after logout.

There is something wrong with the Screenshot thing!
-- Hikove

Screenshot thing makes screenshots again, thanks for reporting!

I have seen terrible webserver performance lately. I found out the reason was a search engine spider that crawled all Similar Racks pages. That is a page with very hefty SQL queries and for that reason a CPU/memory hog.
Quick fix:
Similar Racks now is only accesible for users that are logged in. Thinking about changing it in a Unicorn only function...

I am not 100% sure what happens because I cannot reproduce the problem but it can be related to a sanitize function that is executed before save:
all html tags are filtered out of the comments when you save. If you had pasted something into the form which looks like broken html it may have the undesired result that text will be deleted.
Message me if you have a text snippet that triggers that behaviour so I can look into it deeper.
... and thanks for supporting!

Just write your company name somewhere in the module description text and it will be found when users check the "other/unkn own" checkbox. If your modules are bit more known and/or you are ready to ship some you can apply for a manufacturer entry.
I understand that you find that "not right" but most users want to decide if they want to see the more obscure modules or the more polished ones. That's why we moderate the manufacturer entries.
It's all explained here: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/801

Flip is back

In the user preferences under https://www.modulargrid.net/e/users/view you find a new fieldset called Planner Menu Preferences. Here you can check which entries you like to see in the planner action menu. Options are Push Buttons and/or Flip Button (or none of both).
You can select both but the space will be very narrow on slim modules.
Keybord shortcuts are still available even if you hide the buttons.

Flip is back

In the user preferences under https://www.modulargrid.net/e/users/view you find a new fieldset called Planner Menu Preferences. Here you can check which entries you like to see in the planner action menu. Options are Push Buttons and/or Flip Button.
You can select both but the space will be very narrow on slim modules.

Thread: Case sizing

Can we have multiple cases in view, all at once?

No, but you can open several racks in different browser windows and copy paste modules via keyboardshortcuts c and v across windows.

Push entire row of Modules

In the planner there are two new buttons that appear on hover to push one or more modules to the adjacent side.
This can also be used with shortcuts n and m.
The older shortcuts , and . to push only single modules still exist.
The button to flip modules is removed because I think that was not used enough and took too much space. The function is still there with shortcut f for flip.

Can you please clarify the process to do this with a manufacturer acccount.
-- justgrid

Manufacturers should see delete buttons on the different version images on their module detail pages. The server then tries to remap all of those version images in all existing racks.

Yes. Wrote a PM.

O.k. they were already in the Pedal section anyway

Done

It's a bit clipped but still o.k.?

also would like to remove joke videos

Thats's not possible...

and submit one or 2 that are legitimate

... but you can just post YouTube URLs inside the module description text and they will be rendered as embedded videos.

Sorry that this is a bit complicated, the whole version image thing came late to the site and is a bit a mess. If you have a manufacturer account you should be able to delete the version images.
I will try to make it possible that users can delete there own uploaded images. The challenge is to not destroy thousands of existing racks that already have those images assigned.

• Bigger thumbs on the marketplace index page
  • Manufacturers can delete panel versions
  • Single view for posts and a share button on forum threads to copy the URL of those single forum posts (try to find it)
  • Check for weak passwords on registration and password change with a lookup table of the 10000 worst passwords of all times
  • Captchas on password and username forget, because reasons ...

So my request is, new users should be able to open new threads, otherwise a new guy like me will never be able to use this forum..
-- DareDenis

After ca. 24h you are not a new user anymore. The limit is just there to keep the bots out.

They are in

Fixed a small bug that prevented new manufacturers from posting news.
In the process accidently deployed a new feature were users can thumbs up forum posts.

Thumbs Up button in the Forum

A simple Thumbs Up function that lets you leave a thumbs up on a forum post.
Second click on the Thumbs Up button removes the Thumbs Up.
Narcists can thumbs up their own posts.