Bought an Instruo 2F from @alphonso_steverink and it works fine. Trustworthy seller.

I just got a Filtrone and I love it. It sounds beautiful.
6/18 is the best setting since it allows crossfading between a fairly closed slope and a very open one.
I just wish there was a CV input for tone control (maybe instead of v/oct, if room was an issue), but besides that, I'm very happy with my purchase. Even though I have many filters already, this one is a unique addition - something I missed until it existed.

I bought a Dual Borg from @forcept
It arrived quickly, was well packaged, looks pristine and works great.

I just got me a Vulcan Modulator from @onito974 and an A-160-2 from @atomtwist
Good modules, smooth transactions. Both trustworthy sellers.

I don't know any.

But many LFOs accept a wide range of control voltages, so you could patch a +/-10v CV source in the form of a big knob or a fader into one and get the result you're looking for.

There are many such CV sources, and they're usually cheap. My favorite one is the Antumbra Fade. (It also doubles as an attenuverter.)

I don't know any.

But many LFOs accept a wide range of control voltages, so you could patch a +/-10v CV source in the form of a big knob or a fader into one and get the result you're looking for.

There are many such CV sources, and they're usually cheap. My favorite one is the Antumbra Fade. (It also doubles as an attenuverter.)

62,000 users? That's hardly believable !

@Sweelinck

Yeah I too remember the Atari days fondly :-)

Too many.

Moderators: can we please delete the previous post, and suspend the account, please ? It's obviously a spambot.
[EDIT: I mean the one before the previous one ;-)]

What I love about modular:

• The gritty analog sound. I may be in the minority here, but I'm sensitive to, and interested in, sound texture down to its finest grain. I'm not disparaging digital sound - it can be beautiful too in its own right, but in emulating analog, it's always a bland imitation, to my ears. Now I love digital sound design as well, because there are many things only digital synthesis can do, but I have the computer for that - a much cheaper solution, even though I'll admit it's less fun to use (It's also more efficient). Anyhow, when I want to feel my hair stand at the literal sound of electricity, only analog synths, and more than anything else, my Eurorack, give me that.

• The geekiness of handling signals, coming up with new interesting ways of signal processing, and that a modular synth is half way between an electronics lab and a musical instrument. As I often say: just making music instead of noise is already a feat. Making good music, in those conditions, is a miracle and I have utter admiration for those who manage that (me, I make a few tracks with the modular and integrate them into more conventional instrument tracks to make a song - and I edit a lot afterwards). Getting elaborate music (or just pleasing sound) out of basic electronics with just the use of my brain and hands, is a joy and a marvel.

• Sound design !!! (This is the logical conclusion of the previous two points)

• The physicality of it. (VCV is great, but it doesn't thrill me as hardware does. It's a tad cheaper though, so it has that going for it ;-))

• The fact that my studio looks like an Appolo cockpit. I am a technological peacock.

• The creativity of module creators. (I wish I was better at electronics myself. I know I should make the time to learn that but I don't.)

• The discussions: I love discussing many things, from art to philosophy to psychology to sciences to engineering, and here I find enough geeks to indulge my passion for splitting hair and talking endlessly about a subject; discussing our tastes, reviewing gear, sharing tips and tricks...

• The vibrant community (this is the summary of the last two points ;-))

I'll let you know if I think of anything else.

@farkas : hehe, I see you have a furthrrrr in your rack too ;-).

@jtdaugherty : In the west-coast complex oscillators, there's also Instruo's Cs-L. As I said, there are many, but this one deserves a mention too.

If I were to describe the respective sonic character of all I mentioned, I would say: The Furthrrrr sounds fat, the Verbos sounds electrical and the Cs-L sounds clean. Oh, MakeNoise makes one too I suppose, and I would generally describe their sound as "bouncy" ;-).

I also mentioned Future Sound System's Recombination thingy, but it's a completely different design so it doesn't compete in the exact same category. Anyway, from the demos I heard, I'd say the principle is great, but I find the resulting sound a tad dull for the price. (though I have a distortion from them, and that one is not dull at all)

I would say, if you want to drone you would need at least one sound source and one modulation. If you want to buy only one module, then I'd look for one that can do both simultaneously so as to modulate itself. You could get a complex oscillator: that's a single module made of at least two oscillators - and one of them would need to be able to get as slow as an LFO. For example, the Endorphin.es Furthrrr would be that. One of its oscillators goes into a wavefolder (which is a kind of waveshaper that makes mignificent purring drones) and the other can act as an LFO or a modulating VCO. That's the standard west-coast design and many other brands offer the equivalent: Verbos' Complex Oscillator, to name just one... Unfortunately, those modules are expensive (usually around $500) - they cost as much as two or three basic modules, which is essentially what they are, just bundled together and internally pre-patched.
Now you have other types of complex (read: multiple) oscillators than the west coast. More modern designs include Future Sound System's Recombination Engine, to name just one more - but they all have that high price tag in comon :-/

Just so you know my bias: I almost exclusively consider analog modules. My thinking is that for digital sound, I already have a computer. Not everybody agrees with me and that's fine. I've seen people do amazing things with all-digital racks. But now you see why my recommendation is different from @farkas 's one, which I respect nevertheless.

[EDIT: I now realize @farkas' recommendation is not that different: It is a complex oscillator after all. I had it mistaken for the same brand's quad wavetable)

I just purchased @txl879 's E560 Deflector Sheild and it's grand. Working great; cosmetically in the shape he described, so no surprise there. You can buy from him with confidence.

Moreover, I think we need a system to discourage retaliatory rating, although I recognise that that will involve more work for the site managers.
-- phinland

It's also not easy to settle on a fair system. Every automatized system will have its flaws, and they would inevitably get exploited by some, and/or favor one party over the other. In the end, sites relying heavily on ratings (eBay, etc.) all offer the possibility to appeal to Human arbitration, which is something modulargrid's staff might not want to spend time on - and I may not want to pay for their extra work.

Besides all that, I just bought @klodifokan 's Nutella Tsunami and it's great.

Got me a Furthrrrr Generator from @ak47exe, and yeah !!!
Last year I bought an Erica Black Octasource from him too.

Both modules were pristine, and the communication was good.

It's working now. Thanks!
(I don't whether it has something to do with restarting my computer.)

Hi. I can't connect to modulargrid from my main computer (Linux Mint running Firefox) because it says there's a certificate timing issue. (I am now connected with an old outdated browser that is more lax on security). Anybody else has this issue?

Bought an Erica Synth Black Octasource from @akaroid : swift transaction, perfect module. Thanks!

I just bought @sergiobrick 's Pittsburgh Lifeforms System Interface (in short, Pittsburgh's mixer ;-)) and it works great.

I just traded my NerdSeq and Befaco Dual Attenuverter for @dogma 's Jellysquasher and VC8. The discussion was pleasant and friendly. His modules arrived quickly and in great shape. I do recommend him as a trustworthy trader.

Hello all !

I would like to know if the behaviour of my Sara VCF is normal: you see, in LP mode, it won't open fully. By ear, I'd say it opens up to 8KHz but no more.

I've tried calibrating it, but while making it open a bit more, it still wasn't enough, and moreover it then made the filter not close fully.

This affects both cores, so I suspect it is normal, but I'd like to be sure. Could anyone here owning one confirm that please ?

Thank you.