I'm making a sci fi video game and want a really nice background track for it so I think a modular would work great for this. I have used vcv rack for a long time and I finally want the real deal. Do you have any recommendations for a good modular for this purpose under 1.3k usd? Or should I just buy an AEmodular?

Im producing Dark Ambient ,try to search for dark ambient or ambient that should give you some ideas

any more info on the game?

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

this user has left ModularGrid

Check out IME/Harvestman and Mutable Instrument modules they easily can do dark ambient stuff.
Piston Honda or Plaits would be a good starting point with support modules and a random generator/sequencer. You also want some sort of FX like a good reverb/delay. Under 1300 will be tough to do.

Not sure how far you can get with that budget, it may make more sense to stay in the software realm, which also has a few benefits over hardware (no I/O issues, total recall, instancing). You may easily end up editing things on the computer anyway. If you miss the hands-on, probably buy one or two MIDI controllers instead.

Hw or Sw, I´d say you would probably benefit more from FX than standard modules (although you still need a few of those). Maybe look for some purpose built tools like zynaptic wormhole or go "modular fx" with BIOME and the like.

If it has to be eurorack hardware, zoia euroburo comes to mind, but it wouldn´t be me first choice in the given scenario.