I’m sure it’s been requested before, but would really be a nice addition.

Seconding this request. I think at this point both formats have a ton of options. Kinda tricky to navigate as is.

This is something I would like to see IF people making listings can't be bothered to tell which format their tiles are in the original listings. Some do...you see some listings that clearly note that they're Intellijel format or Pulplogic format. And then, quite a few don't.

Frankly, what I would prefer to see is something like XODES's solution: a universal-sized tile panel with large U-cuts for screws instead of the little holes one normally sees. They did that right! If this could become the de facto tile panel standard, not only would it be convenient, it would put the final nail in this tile format dispute.

final nail> -- Lugia

As I understand it, PL boards adhere to a taller standard than will fit within the Intellijel standard. You can go Intellijel to PL, but not vice versa.

Right...the idea they're working with is to develop a "universal" tile, something that works in both spaces and which can be screwed-down irrespective of hole spacings. If they can hit that mark...and I think they CAN...then they could make the tile dimensions open-source, allowing any manufacturer to use it. That would effectively end this ridiculous squabble; BOTH formats have very compelling modules, and I knew when I first heard that there was going to be this format split that it was going to cause problems...and it has. XODES is also working out the dimensions of a 3-row tile carrier that can handle both Intellijel and Pulplogic formats simultaneously.

Actually the panel (and PCB) dimensions simply are based on Intellijel ones, and the major (or minor?) change is about the mounting holes that are open on the outsides. That's it. So there will be tiny gaps when used within PL cases, yet you can use screws on top AND bottom.

Recently, a couple of manufacturers apparently adopted this method : Synthrotek, Winterbloom, and EcoLab (for the latter, their 1U modules are not on Modulargrid yet, and these have been showcased on Instagram over the past few days).

Props for attempting to mediate a standard, @XODES. What is the decided PCB height (not faceplate) to accommodate both sizes? I’m away from my Intellijel system and digital caliper at the moment.

Props for attempting to mediate a standard, @XODES. What is the decided PCB height (not faceplate) to accommodate both sizes? I’m away from my Intellijel system and digital caliper at the moment.
-- illiac

I actually just was too lazy to make 2 panel versions, and it looked like it solved a couple issues, like preventing the "wrong" version to be put in the box by error, or customers ordering something that wouldn't properly fit in their rack.

BTW, just like said in my previous post, dimensions for both the PCB and panel are the Intellijel ones. Everything is documented on their website :

https://intellijel.com/support/1u-technical-specifications/

Support for 1U size format is on the list, this will come.

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net

Support for 1U size format is on the list, this will come.
-- modulargrid

Be sure to have something like a "universal" or "hybrid" choice in the list then, and not only IJ/PL!

It would also be nice if there was a way to superimpose 1U (IJ) modules over this series of adapters :

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/xodes-fc313-24hp

There may of course be other adapters that could use this kind of feature, as long as there's also a "rotate module" option! :)

Be sure to have something like a "universal" or "hybrid" choice in the list then, and not only IJ/PL!

That is a 1U module that fits in both IJ/PL standards or is this a new third standard?

It would also be nice if there was a way to superimpose 1U (IJ) modules over this series of adapters :

I see that would be useful but that is complicated because of the way the drag/drop collision routine works.

There may of course be other adapters that could use this kind of feature, as long as there's also a "rotate module" option! :)

We have rotate module for 180°. People request that for 90° but that is also complicated because the way the optimize rack space routine works. At this point it looks like everything is complicated :-(

That is a 1U module that fits in both IJ/PL standards or is this a new third standard?

Something that fits both! A third standard would be nonsense... :)

I see that would be useful but that is complicated because of the way the drag/drop collision routine works.

Sure, it looks like it would somehow need another parameter at the module level to allow collisions, or treat this kind of module as "sub racks" in some sort. I get that it may not make sense to make this kind of change only for a handful of adapters though...

We have rotate module for 180°. People request that for 90° but that is also complicated because the way the optimize rack space routine works. At this point it looks like everything is complicated :-(

Even though this isn't something I personally am after, I was indeed referring to the 90° rotation... just thinking that if collisions were to be allowed with my type of adapters, it would be fair to also have it on others too.

Again, I get that these are not minor changes, it's more a matter of having the possibility to have those virtual racks closer to reality.

Basically, XODES has developed a little fix for the P vs I issue that involves a bit of size alteration and screw slots instead of fixed holes. So you'd need Daniel's "I" format, A "P" format for Pulplogic format, and perhaps a "U" for these universal panel tiles...?

Granted, I (and a bunch of others, I'm sure) would prefer a single solution, but we got what we got right now.

I'd be super content with just a PL VS Intellijel checkbox, for now.

It would be nice to have the total HP listed for a rack when displayed...seems like it shows everything else (Power Consumption | Depth | Price | Number of Modules) could be useful to show total HP and total HP occupied by modules if possible.

JB

We now have a filter for Pulplogic 1U and Intellijel 1U modules.
Functionality is there but of course most of the data is missing. It can be added by users but it would be easier if I would bulk edit the modules.
Is there a list of manufacturers that only do one format but not the other?

Regarding that universal format. If I would add this how should the filter behave. Currently there are these 1U options:

• 1U Tiles / All Formats
  • 1U Tiles / Intellijel
  • 1U Tiles / Pulplogic

If a module is universal and a user selects 1U Tiles / Intellijel in the filter should that universal module be displayed? Or should there be a third filter entry 1U Tiles / Universal ?

We now have a filter for Pulplogic 1U and Intellijel 1U modules.
-- modulargrid

Thank you !

If a module is universal and a user selects 1U Tiles / Intellijel in the filter should that universal module be displayed? Or should there be a third filter entry 1U Tiles / Universal ?
-- modulargrid

IMO it makes more sense to display both Intellijel and Universal if Intellijel is selected as I would expect the most prevalent use case is to look for modules that will fit the user's rack - the opposite would have users have to make a search twice to cover what is available to them.

--- Voltage control all the things ---

I added Both to the options of the 1U tiles.
Now they can be of the type
* Intellijel
* Pulp Logic
* Both

IMO it makes more sense to display both Intellijel and Universal if Intellijel is selected as I would expect the most prevalent use case is to look for modules that will fit the user's rack

This is the way it is working now.
I did not call the new option universal because in more cases the modules are just available in both formats instead of that one combined universal format.
To not overcomplicate it the universal 1U should be entered as both. I think this is the best compromise and should address what users like to see but I am not very familiar with 1U. So what do you think?