I'm hoping to use the MIDI clock (coming from TASCAM model 12 mixer/recorder) as my Master Clock. I'm trying to control all my gear (Minilogue XD, SQ1, Boomerang Looper) along with my eurorack so everything is on the same time. Plus when I go back to record additional tracks (on Tascam model 12) I want to know that I'm running from the same reliable clock from my mixer/recorder so there's no timing issues. I got a MIDI box (1 in: 4 out) and it works great to multiply the MIDI signal from the Tascam Model 12, to all the (non eurorack) gear but.... What is the simplest way to get a good midi clock from my mixer to eurorack. Is there a simple adapter or do I need to spend a couple hundred on a midi to cv converter module. I would probably be going into a (4ms quad clock distributor module) as my main-starting eurorack clock divider/distributer.

Any comments or wisdom appreciated!

yes midi->cv & make sure it specifies that it handles midi clock - some just do pitch and gate

mutant brain / ocd (external original version of mutant brain) and befaco midi thing may be worth looking at

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Or just go with a MIDI -> clock interface. One that I'd suggest would be Ladik's M-221...it's got an onboard clock divider as well as various gate/trigger functions for when the interface receives transport control signals. Plus, it's a whopping $80!

Thanks for the info. I'd like the ladik but cant find it anywhere.
Will the "Erica Synths MIDI-CV II Kit" covert MIDI clock to cv clock? I cant tell its not clear to me. Id love to find a diy kit to covert midi to cv to save some cash if possible.

I have a lot of Eurorack modules needing clock sync. Pamela's New Workout plus its PPQN expansion are my master clock in Eurorack, I'm using that to feed everything else. And if I wanted to sync PNW to a signal coming from the DAW that would be pretty easy.

Before you buy anything, I'd recommend you do a thorough read and write-down of all the sync protocols of all the various gear you have; they can require various signals. AND I suggest you look at PNW + its expanders as your possible solution in Eurorack and bridge to other gear as PNW is very worth the $s on its own plus a rock solid clock and clock distribution option.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

The thing is that I'm strictly going to use my tascam model 12 to be my master clock because that is what I record into always and I'm going dawless so the tascam model 12 has to be the hub and master for me but it only has midi (classic 5 prong) out. The model 12 gives direct midi to my boomerang looper, minilogue xd great. Just need to get the midi clock into my eurorack in as simple as possible way and ill be all set.

You can maybe get by with something like this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ElkMIDI-MnTRS--elektron-ca-3-3.5mm-to-5-pin-din-midi-adaptor-pair?

Or

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BMIDI535--boss-5ft-1.5m-midi-to-3.5mm-trs-cable

As really you just need to get from 5pin format to 3.5mm format. I’m not sure this specific cord will work for you but I imagine this or a similar one could fit the bill? It’s about a $10-20 solution. Those are included free with a bunch of my modules. The TRS end needs looking at and considering if your Eurorack modules would accept that signal/format.

My guess is most midi to CV modules would be overkill for your purpose.

Do keep PNW in mind as it’s a great module on its own AND you can feed it Clock in from another source then use it to manipulate and distribute clock etc to the rest of your eurorack setup, in case you need an actual module to take the clock in. I would be surprised if you can’t drive PNW off your Tascam with one of those 5pin to TRS cords

And BTW all the Ladik stuff is sold straight from them to my knowledge. If you haven’t already, you’ll have to check his website for stock.

Those DIN MIDI to 3.5mm MIDI cables and adapters will not produce the kind of clock signals needed in Eurorack. They just convert between different physical plug formats. I think Lugia's suggestion of the Ladik M-221 is the most inexpensive solution. Pam's is a nice module but it needs 24 ppqn to sync (lower ppqn is possible but not recommended) and the Tascam 12 doesn't provide that.

Thanks plgrade for the clarification. I was hoping that cable might be a cheap solution. Sounds like it may generally not work in this situation.

I thought of it because Pam’s can take a DIN input to drive clocking. And the PPQN Pam’s is looking for can be adjusted. I think the PNW manual pages 16,17,28 is saying PNW can take DIN input with user definable PPQN? To me that suggests PNW receiving DIN might work for the OP.

Still as you pointed out that leaves the Ladik as the cheapest option, maybe the best option too, it looks pretty tailor made for this type of situation.

Pam's sync input capability is great for me because my Elektron boxes can put out DIN sync on a MIDI out or thru port, and ALM sell a $10 cable that splits that into the 3.5mm clock (24 ppqn) and run input signals that Pam's needs. And as you point out, Pam's is really useful in many other ways. But the OP's Tascam 12, as far as I can tell from the manual, only puts out MIDI clock and not DIN sync.

Dang guys, Thanks so much for the good information! Really appreciate it. What a great community here!
Yeah, I already ordered some of the midi to trs just to see.. but they don't work (as we found out). Ill try to get my hands on a Ladik from the website. that was actually my original solution but I couldn't find one for sale. Ill give em a ring.

One last quick one..Does the Ladik's M-221 give you actual clock speed (coming in from midi) or just divisions of it? It would seem strange to not have the actual clock speed but from the looks of it I cant tell?

Thanks again folks. Greatly appreciated.

You're welcome. I did a bunch of research on clock sync a month ago. The DIN vs MIDI and what accepts those was a point I hadn't nailed down. So I was hoping to learn about options & tech on this point also.

Ladik http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=7 is EU based, I think Czech Republic, and I think 1 guy or mainly one guy. I've never needed to contact them; don't know how responsive a small shop like that can be.

The M221 unit, looks to me like it is expecting clock in at 1/4 rate, and it gives outputs at 1/4 rate and subdivisions of that. So the 1/4 out is your 1:1 clock out option. BIG plus is the M221 has start/stop & other CV outputs which would be a great help to link everything to a single set of controls.

Thanks to @plgrade, Jim and Lugia for adding clarity on this somewhat obscure topic.

Good luck!

Fantastic. Just ordered it. Along with Ladik's probability skipper and attenuverter modules! So affordable I had to grab up a few.

Thank again guys super appreciate the help!