I've been doing a ton of feedback patching lately and have had luck with the "Build Your Own Compressor" DUSG approach to keeping things under control, but I'm starting to think about getting a dedicated compressor module just for this purpose, so I'm curious: anyone have any compressor modules they think are great for feedbacking?

Thanks!

That Instruo Tanh[3] looks like an interesting small feedback tamer.

Not a compressor per se but I've found the DPW Limit L-1 to be useful in feedback patches. I have the Tanh as well actually, but I've found the DPW to be more handy for this purpose.

I think I'm almost assuredly going to get a Tanh at some point, that L-1 looks cool too thanks for the recommendation @adaris.

And don't forget the WMD MSCL...excellent stereo comp/limiter. The controls could be a little more user-friendly, but the results are worth the hassle.

One other module to consider is the Happy Nerding FX Aid, which has several compressor and limiter algorithms.

Hi Troux,

The Waldorf CMP1 might be an idea, it's currently on offer. Waldorf stopped making modular modules, so if you are interested then better don't wait too long. Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Have you used that one @GarfieldModular? I'm definitely curious.

@Lugia I'm thinking I want something a bit more flexible, the L-1 compressors come to mind and I'm also curious about Vintage Synth Labs AWM-3

Hi Troux,

I have used it occasionally so far, not because I don't like the module but because I didn't had enough time to dive deep into it. Compression is still something new to me, so I still have to gain more experience to be able to provide you here with a deep knowledge answer.

On a much higher level and my first impression working with this module was excellent though. The sturdiness and the quality of a Waldorf module is just lovely. The few times I used it so far, I am happy with it, seems to work pretty well. For me it was good enough to get a second unit :-)

Just very recent I came across a Bastl Instruments - Dynamo module, that looks like a compressor module to me too. I don't know it and I don't have it, I just saw it a few days ago, perhaps worth to have a look at?

Here a copy of the Bastl-instruments.com website about this module:

Dynamo is a combination of 3 utility modules: envelope follower, comparator, and voltage-controlled switch. It combines Envelope Follower and comparator to extract the gate from the envelope. On top of that, there is full-wave rectifier output |EF IN| and Compressor CV curve generator.

When the Compressor CV is plugged into the CV input of a VCA with offset and attenuator knobs, you get a Compressor! The threshold knob on Dynamo sets the compressor threshold, Offset on the VCA sets the gain, and the attenuator on the CV input sets the ratio of compression (which can also go negative). This allows you to create a compressor type of effect from anything: VCA, tube module, VCF, or anything that comes to your rack!

Good luck with the search for a compressor and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Instruo Tanh3 is very useful.

Somewhat off topic, I have to mention http://www.steadystatefate.com/triptych -- from your inquiry I thought maybe the SSF module is in the direction of the sounds you're looking for. The Perfect Circuit Baseck video demo of that is good.

Good luck, cheers!

That is an interesting one @nickgreenberg, thanks for sharing! And @GarfieldModular thanks for the Waldorf review :)

I've got a couple of the god's box lollipops - DIY - and work fine for me when I need compression - usually use one on the portland (drum synth) as that's mono to fatten it up a bit...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities