Hi all, first post here. After researching and watching tutorials for a year, I recently pulled the trigger and started my first rack. It's a hybrid setup: I am using Logic as my DAW, I program drums in Logic, I use Logic as the clock source via the Intellijel µMIDI module, and I record out audio via an audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2).

As I expand my rack to include more than one synth voice, I want to be able to continue to use my USB controller via Logic to play my synth. My goal is to be able to have multiple tracks in Logic, each track corresponding to a patch on my rack.

One (pricy) solution would be to buy more µMidi modules and a big USB hub—that way Logic would recognize multiple MIDI instruments, and I could send multiple gate and volt per octave signals at once.

Short of purchasing more USB -> MIDI modules, is there a better way? I've been researching some of the Expert Sleepers modules, but I can't tell if it would be possible for a single ES-9 to be recognized by Logic as more than one MIDI instrument.

there are midi interfaces with multiple cv/gate outputs on them... cv.ocd outside the rack or hex inverter mutant brain (which is the same but a module), for example - there are quite a few more! you would be able to send multiple channels of midi from Logic -> modular this way - might be an idea to read a few manuals and watch a few videos...

I don't have a es9, but I do have an es8 - which doesn't have midi - the idea behind them is to not use midi - but cv direct from the DAW - you would use a plugin in Logic - for example Expert Sleepers Silent Way - and generate pitch/modulation/triggers/gates directly in Logic and then send them to the outputs of the ES9 - the midi implementation, afik, in es9 is to control features of the es9 - such as an internal mixer

hope this helps

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

So helpful, thanks! I'm going to look into the Mutant Brain.