Hey all! So I've recently become really interested in building my first Eurorack but I'm a complete beginner and I've been having some issues.
For a little background, I'm a classical musician doing a doctorate in classical guitar and I've been exploring the use of electronics within classical music.
I want to build a generative system that functions as a standalone chance based instrument that also offers the option to plug in my guitar to work with the system.
At first I wanted to use the Intellijel 62HP palette case but I'm not sure if this would offer enough space and I've been told that it might be best to get a bigger case and fill it up over time. (7u/104HP?)
I've been watching a ton of videos and trying to read as much as I can but there's still a few things that I'm questioning.

1. I'm not quite sure what modules to start with. I know I need an oscillator, modulation source, sequencer and a VCA so I was thinking of Plaits, Maths, Marbles, and Intellijel''s Quad VCA
  2. How would I be able to record into Ableton or perform live using a Focusrite 4i4?
  3. What are the best resources to get more comfortable with actually patching this rig?

Apologies if this is all really basic and/or a mess but any insight is greatly appreciated - thanks!

yes - get a bigger case

the intellijel case is quite pricey - I'd go for a mantis instead (if you can find one - I see deliverys scheduled soonish in some EU/UK shops) - about 1/2 the price and plastic not aluminium case - the case for them is inexpensive and 1/2 decent these days - nb you wont notice the case once it's full and patched!

1 - good choices - I'd go veils over the intellijel quad though - slightly smaller by 2hp - you might find either a dedicated envelope follower or a dedicated lfo a good thing to add to that set of modules - Maths is great, but it's much better when you patch-program it and don't think of it as just a set of simple functional blocks - see the 'maths illustrtrated supplement' (via google)

you'll also want an instrument interface - the sonicsmith ev1 - seems to be the best in lots of ways - apparently the pitch tracking is great for single note runs etc - don't think it can handle chords - but nothing else can either

if you don't need pitch tracking - there are a number of input modules with envelope following and gate extraction - both are things you really want - and if in the future you want to add pitch following there's one in disting - which is supposed to be not bad - and disting is kind of like Maths in that it's a swiss army knife module - can do lots of things but only 1 at a time - can be daunting if you try to use too many different algos too quickly - just pick a few and set them up as favourites

as a guitarist your hands will be used playing the guitar - consider an expression pedal interface so you can get some control with your feet - addac, doepfer and 7dials all make them - 7 dials is DIY though but as a student you may be able to find someone who'll do an hours soldering for you for not much, or will teach you - if of course you can't solder yourself already!

2 - an audio interface... maybe you already have one and this will definitely work for audio - you may find you need attenuation and amplification - or balanced inputs - you may or may not need a i/o module - I'd try veils for amplification and some passive attenuators before a dedicated i/o module - unless you need balance i/o for your existng audio interface (which I doubt as it's a small prosumer one - at least it's got 4 outs - anything less is a waste of time)

3 - hands and ears and time - read manuals and if you don't understand something in them ask questions (& google 1st - someone else probably already asked the same question before) - remember outputs to inputs - a few passive mults and or stackcables will massively help...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

this user has left ModularGrid

Hi there,

As a guitar player who moved into modular some tips, first get the book Patch & Tweak such a great guide for beginners to modular! Next download a copy of the free software VCV Rack, it is super helpful to learn how modules and patching work.

I'm not quite sure what modules to start with. I know I need an oscillator, modulation source, sequencer and a VCA so I was thinking of Plaits, Maths, Marbles, and Intellijel''s Quad VCA

Definitely need a good sized case and power supply. I recommend 9u size at minimum and 12u if you can get that for the capable need to not exhaust space too soon. Amalgamod, Doepfer and MLDR make nice cases/power supplies.

Utilities are most important since you can get a lot of mileage with a single VCO and Filter.
You want VCAs, CV mixer, attenuators, mults, LFOs and so forth. I started with Batumi LFO, Doepfer VCO/filter, envelope generator/ADSR, and an Intellijel VCA that is great.

How would I be able to record into Ableton or perform live using a Focusrite 4i4?
Send output from mixer in modular system to an audio interface. I use a MOTU audio interface that receives output from my modular mixer and works well with my DAW and computer.

What are the best resources to get more comfortable with actually patching this rig

Download VCV Rack software on your computer and try building a modular system and patches!
The book Patch & Tweak is great as well.

you'll also want an instrument interface - the sonicsmith ev1 - seems to be the best in lots of ways - apparently the pitch tracking is great for single note runs etc - don't think it can handle chords - but nothing else can either

-- JimHowell1970

It's actually the Sonicsmith ConVertor E1. I just got the module. It does a pretty good job of pitch tracking both diatonic and chromatic harmonica. Haven't tried it with anything else. It's not perfect by any means and glitches here and there. Also the firmware needs an update to get all the advertised features. I think it's coming Q2 this year.

-- JimHowell1970

It's actually the Sonicsmith ConVertor E1. I just got the module. It does a pretty good job of pitch tracking both diatonic and chromatic harmonica. Haven't tried it with anything else. It's not perfect by any means and glitches here and there. Also the firmware needs an update to get all the advertised features. I think it's coming Q2 this year.

-- ScottyDizzle

yes, I know, I was using my old and failing memory...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities